I think Dal To North via Free Agency

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: I think Dal To North via Free Agency

cheers pluggs, I was getting a bit morose :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
sax
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:Either way. s*** deal. Free agency doing its finest again. Changed the game, not for the better. Couldn't give a rats nearly now, wont take much more. I know I know, Joffaboy, don't let the door hit my arse on the way out.

No not at all. Wearing me down as well.

GWS will be unbeatable in a couple of years, just when we are coming good.

What chance will we have against them or GC?

AND they get #1 and #2 AGAIN this draft.

How in hell are we supposed to compete?

Getting trying

I wouldnt give up. We havent won a flag for 47 years for many reasons. We will take at least 5 years to come good. GC will be nearly on the way down then and GWS will have salary cap issues. Its not like we follow a side that wins a flag every ten years. We have won one in 140 years so this is just another hurdle to overcome.
I have to say it's getting harder! All the BS every off season.

I have been a Saints supporter my whole life & a member for 20years (paid up for next year)

But living in SA, with a 7yo son (who is currently a Saints supporter) getting brainwashed at school every day, and he just wants to go to footy.

Bloody hell it's getting harder. But "stick fat" we will get there eventually!

GO SAINTS!!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Club kept saying they wanted a first round pick. Let's see where it all lands. If all we get is 2nd round is be disappointed. There may be more to it

#1 Ryder fan
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:This is confusing...
St Kilda's Nick Dal Santo will join North Melbourne as a free agent today after paperwork was completed Friday to confirm Dal Santo as a free agent.
Dal Santo will now receive a contract offer from North Melbourne as an unrestricted free agent.
St Kilda and Dal Santo agreed not to act on a clause in his existing contract that could have seen him re-signed for next season with the Saints and so opening the door for him to be considered a restricted free agent.
North Melbourne has offered Dal Santo a three-year deal as a free agent which Dal Santo has chosen to accept. St Kilda will not match the North Melbourne offer and so releases Dal Santo to become a Roo.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/n ... z2i2CYQsTl
The first line says "unrestricted" so we receive no compensation.
The second line says "restricted"
The third line says we are not matching the offer hence implying restricted as there is no opportunity for the club to match an offer on an unrestricted Free Agent.
First line doesn't say "unrestricted", Life Long, just "free agent". The explanation why a bloke with more than 8 years service was only considered "restricted" is in the last paragraph of the article;

"The AFL had to approve the deal for Dal Santo to become a free agent given the provisions in his existing contract for him to be re-contracted if he satisfied certain triggers. Dal Santo satisfied those triggers but the club and player agreed not to act on them to re-contract and so he was able to be treated as an uncontracted restricted free agent."

Moot point now, but I was confused as well.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Kernal75
Club Player

Brace yourselves people, next year we'll be having the exact same discussion. Only this time, the name on everyones lips will be..........Leigh Montagna

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:Brace yourselves people, next year we'll be having the exact same discussion. Only this time, the name on everyones lips will be..........Leigh Montagna
I reckon we are cutting hard this year but will avoid doing it continually...

Montagna won't be worth much in free agency and won't get a high pick in a trade, but will still be a handy leader for us with Lenny probably finishing up.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Club kept saying they wanted a first round pick. Let's see where it all lands. If all we get is 2nd round is be disappointed. There may be more to it
Be very surprised if we got a first round pick, but if we did it makes it slightly more palatable.

I love this club