Josh Bruce to be traded?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Josh Bruce to be traded?

Scollop wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2019 5:47pm Some of the rubbish gets recycled. Some portrays as harmless scraps.
And some others pretend to to be passing on inside info and harmless scraps but they have a toxic agenda
E.g. The thread about Bruce midyear claiming he was overrated and only B grade...was it just a coincidence or was it selfish influences who don't have the St Kilda FC's interest at heart?
Not trying to be smart Scollop but confused by the phrase "selfish influences". Unsure what that means in the context you've used.

To the top
SS Life Member

Ghost Like.

It starts from the top.

So the Board.

Strong, focused Administrations make for strong, competitive Clubs.

There is only One Premiership Club every year, and 17 others.

My view has always been that you position your Club to compete because by being competitive consistently, success will be achieved.

You do not compete for a Premiership if you are not playing Finals footy.

And, the more often you play Finals footy, the more your chance of success.

So you build, and you build.

You do not jump at shadows.

poatina
Club Player

Exactly who is running the trade period process/ leaks/ posturing?
We don’t have a coach appointed for next year so the most important voice ( I would have thought) is absent. So too that person’s preferred assistants. So is it the administrators who are doing their penance/ trying to climb the ladder/ looking for a promotion? If so , the temptation must be to look like a player, a hard bastard, a mover and shaker, wheeler and dealer . Not the state of mind to calmly ask “ If I trade this player out , can I be sure
(a) I will get a better player in return or at least not reduce the overall list strength?
(b) I will not harm the morale of the remaining playing group beyond repair?
(c) I will not weaken the support for the club by getting rid of of a popular player in order to get in a player from another club the supporters are accustomed to booing rather than cheering?
( d) (particularly in the case of Josh Bruce) I am not making the club look like a bunch of hypocrites by getting rid of a player the club has used time and time again as the face of the club in its various enterprises including dubious virtue signalling enterprises which have been the particular penchant of we current administrators ? “
The idea which is the topic of this string was presumably floated by those who are in charge of the process. Whoever they are, it has gained mainstream currency and hasn’t been denied . In my humble opinion it is a reckless , “ look at me “ move, makes no sense and stinks .

Rubyjo
Club Player

Bruce not going anywhere due to common sense.. Thanks

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2019 6:05pm Ghost Like.

It starts from the top.

So the Board.

Strong, focused Administrations make for strong, competitive Clubs.

There is only One Premiership Club every year, and 17 others.

My view has always been that you position your Club to compete because by being competitive consistently, success will be achieved.

You do not compete for a Premiership if you are not playing Finals footy.

And, the more often you play Finals footy, the more your chance of success.

So you build, and you build.

You do not jump at shadows.
That all sounds great TTT, it sounds like the KSC for a sporting body. I'm unsure about what it's referencing. It doesn't exactly sound like St Kilda but sounds like a great club. It doesn't offer any insight into how, what you describe, can become St Kilda.

I guess & you are right, this will start with the President, so let the games begin. I have some faith in Basset, I've faith he understands what's required to build a strong, successful organisatiom - maybe even the idyllic footy club you describe.

I'm also unaware about what shadows I jump at. I'll tell you something about shadows, if you know what causes them there's no need to jump at them, however, understand that they offer great cover until a light is shone.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Like it or not, Josh is very tradable. Might be important to structure in short term but given our forwardline has been less than elite since Roo, everyone is tradable.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2019 5:57pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2019 5:47pm Some of the rubbish gets recycled. Some portrays as harmless scraps.
And some others pretend to to be passing on inside info and harmless scraps but they have a toxic agenda
E.g. The thread about Bruce midyear claiming he was overrated and only B grade...was it just a coincidence or was it selfish influences who don't have the St Kilda FC's interest at heart?
Not trying to be smart Scollop but confused by the phrase "selfish influences". Unsure what that means in the context you've used.
Sorry about that. Just reread it and I've confused myself now. I am cynical when I read some threads and I suspect that some posters have an agenda. Probably meant to say that there could have been 'devious intentions' or 'selfish intentions' rather than objective opinions. That's what I was alluding to with the criticism of Bruce mid year

B.M
Saintsational Legend

And who do we replace Bruce with??

That’s right

A 32yo Ryder who is a poor Forward

A 19yo beanpole who’s never played a game

A reigning b&f Ruckman we will take away from his prime position

Paddy McCartin

Josh Battle who had his best season at CHB

Maybe Carlisle who can’t actually get a kick Forward

Or maybe we’ll do a Pagans paddock with Membrey?

I don’t think he’s tradable
I think a few of our inside Mids, small forwards or HBs are tradable

carn_sainter
Club Player

I agree that Bruce should be off limits. Absolutely should not be traded. When his touch is on, his hands and goal kicking are first rate. When his touch is off, he still busts a gut, gives us a target and puts in excellent second and third efforts.

The kind of player you build pieces around, not that you trade out for pieces. In a team - rather, club - that has a serious lack of ticker, this would be not far from disastrous to get rid of Bruce.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If Bruce is so average

Why have better teams put a big contract in front of him?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

36 goals in a full season from a key forward in his prime suggests that B.M.. The Doggies & the Pies have identified him as what they need, they will have to pay what he's worth.

We will have to do a similar thing to fix our deficiencies, the likes of our bottom six, as described by TTT, will not realise anywhere near what we need to pay.

Don't fall for Stonecold's failed reasoning this season about Marshall and use that for King. SC believed Marshall required help from the likes of Longer this year or he'd be crushed, beaten & broken...he only got stronger. King can do the same.

Why keep Bruce to be King's bodyguard & then try to trade him when no one wants him?

I think Marshall can play CHF for a season or two IF needed. Who's to say he's not a better CHF than ruckman. I don't remember anyone at this time last year saying our ruck problems are no more because we have Marshall.

I don't agree with keeping things the same when there's no evidence that things will improve.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2019 5:36pm
The Fireman wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2019 3:48pm the keepers.
Marshall
Membrey
Hunter
Hanna

negotiate with the rest
Totally agree, I wasn't saying put those two up. Simply saying it is those two that Geelong are missing. If they want to give us fair trade for Steven or Carlisle, then deal.
yeah I know you weren't

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 8:58am If Bruce is so average

Why have better teams put a big contract in front of him?
He isn't average, I think we all know that.
He will play better in a better side...we need to keep him and get better or ask the sky for him.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

I'll tell you something about shadows, if you know what causes them there's no need to jump at them, however, understand that they offer great cover until a light is shone.
wow

nice read.

wisdom on a stick

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
StPeter
Club Player

Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 7:52pm
StPeter wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 1:30pm I am surprised there is no thread on here for strong reports that Josh Bruce may be on the trade table with the Western Bulldogs being particularly interested.

I am not sure about how I feel about this, especially if Carlisle goes and Battle would be needed for CHB rather than going forward. I may be able to accept one of

Carlisle or Bruce being traded but not both.
You are the one spreading the manure, St Peter. Start naming where those "strong reports" are coming from.

Sounds more like frogs droppings if you just spread baseless nonsense.

By the way, Trev from the Bush, do you till think I am just "spreading manure and frog droppings" with a baseless rumour??
An apology would be nice.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 3:05pm
I'll tell you something about shadows, if you know what causes them there's no need to jump at them, however, understand that they offer great cover until a light is shone.
wow

nice read.

wisdom on a stick
Cheers asiu, I paid good money for that fortune cookie. Happy to share.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

:D

half price now !

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Lol - I see we're now using Josh to advertise how to make your own will. Is it a sign? Bit of a cruel one if it is!

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

freely wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 5:11pm Lol - I see we're now using Josh to advertise how to make your own will. Is it a sign? Bit of a cruel one if it is!
There's a version with Aaron Hammil too

Go you red, black & white warriors
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

A very hysterical post for a player playing VFL only last year.

Bruce has a good season, but is definitely tradable.

Players step up all the time. Similar to Marshall this year upon trading Hickey.

Hysterical indeed. And you can’t trade something that has no value... fantasy stuff there.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

If other clubs want him then that is a sign that he has real value.

I definitely don't want him traded - yet I am happy for Steven, Acres, Dunstan and Ross to be traded - assuming we get quality users in.

I actually think he should be captain or at least in the leadership group.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 7:08pm If other clubs want him then that is a sign that he has real value.

I definitely don't want him traded - yet I am happy for Steven, Acres, Dunstan and Ross to be traded - assuming we get quality users in.

I actually think he should be captain or at least in the leadership group.
That's the conundrum BfU. If a club wants one of ours we can get something, if they don't we get nothing, no offers, no change, no value.

I like Bruce and how he's held himself, I just believe the time is right to cash in and address areas we have lacked in for too long now.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

BFUSA

It makes a little more sense that if the midfield is our weakness

To trade our underperforming Mids who are not getting the job done... or players surplus to our needs (HBs) traded out to be replaced by better players
In order to improve

Not get rid of KPPs where we have a dearth

Guess who was playing Key Forward at Sandy this season at times?
Sam Rowe, Jack Mayo, Darragh Joyce, and even Bailey Rice

Exactly which one of those is stepping up??

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

In the ideal RW&B world we'd keep all the players we like and show something & trade the rubbish, under performers and the simply "found out" for guns, jets & round 1 & 2 draft picks...the decisions in that world are easy.

Now, back to the real world...what's the answer?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Again hysterical and silly wanting to trade our underperforming mids or half backs that have little value. Clubs don’t gift picks.

King, Battle (who had to be moved to wing to account for Brown/Carlisle) can battle it out for the tall forward. More scope with those two as well.

Bruce was playing VFL last year as well. Shows the hysterics.