Our midfield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our midfield

The two teams playing tonight have traded in some good midfielders.

Taranto (25 y.o.) for picks 12 and 18
Dunkley (26y.o.) for pick 21, this years FRDP (looking like about 16)

To get someone similar we would need to trade a player out to get a top 20 pick and use our FRDP.

Would you do it? or continue to go to the draft?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Thu 29 Jun 2023 8:30pm The two teams playing tonight have traded in some good midfielders.

Taranto (25 y.o.) for picks 12 and 18
Dunkley (26y.o.) for pick 21, this years FRDP (looking like about 16)

To get someone similar we would need to trade a player out to get a top 20 pick and use our FRDP.

Would you do it? or continue to go to the draft?
Imo we’d need 1 of Taranto / Dunkley Plus a mid who clan spread and win their own ball (Parish) to make a real difference to our midfield

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I don't disagree but I don't think we have enough trade value on our list to even make that happen.

Must do it in the draft.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 30 Jun 2023 8:26am I don't disagree but I don't think we have enough trade value on our list to even make that happen.

Must do it in the draft.
Parish is interesting
Only cost us $ as I understand it
But chances of him moving unrealistic
No 1 clearance player in comp can spread…is the type
What you don’t want are 2 more Crouch types…
I can’t recall last time we had a bull mid who could hit contest win ball and burst clear with pace…. Jack Steven maybe?

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Free agency is a good shout. We should have the cap space.

Here's the shopping list:
2023: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out ... ?year=2023
2024: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out ... ?year=2024

Parish surely at the top.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Not much there. Go to the draft

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

From BF

Paddy Dow to Saints apparently pretty much a done deal.

Source: One of my mates knows the national recruitment manager for another Vic AFL club who passed this on.

I'm not an ITK and not directly connected the actual source - just passing on what I heard.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Question marked on Dow kicking
He is 23 costs stuff all but then ….question marks on Gresham kicking too
It’s classic Lyon ….high picks …stalled not getting ganes…bargain basement stuff
If it doesn’t work you delist
Whatever…at least FINALLY someone is looking at this midfield which has zero depth and every time Steele goes down (see last year) goes off the boil..

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Going to be difficult to justify keeping Stephen Silvagni after this year.

He moved from GWS to Carlton and just recruited players he was familiar with. How's his strike rate? Haven't most turned out to be duds?

If we want to recruit Carlton discards or any other club discards, why do we need SOS?

I think I trust Toce and the recruitment staff more than I do SOS and Ross Lyon

What sort of culture are we trying to build at St Kilda? I'd rather focus on recruiting untried youth and developing our own?

That's a better formula for sustainable success rather than topping up with other teams discards

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 01 Jul 2023 11:28am Going to be difficult to justify keeping Stephen Silvagni after this year.

He moved from GWS to Carlton and just recruited players he was familiar with. How's his strike rate? Haven't most turned out to be duds?

If we want to recruit Carlton discards or any other club discards, why do we need SOS?

What sort of culture are we trying to build at St Kilda? I'd rather focus on recruiting untried youth and developing our own?

That's a better formula for sustainable success rather than topping up with other teams discards
We don’t have enough draft picks just to “recruit our own”
We need to bolster a midfield depth that’s been neglected for a decade
It’s obvious Ratten too didn’t rate the likes of Bytel
I too watch Silvagni nervously and I’d like to see Gubby do something…
Reality is the age profile of our list under gags wasn’t great and picking up a bunch of top ups didn’t work (what were they those were never in the window ffs)
We need to hold draft picks who can play mid
Look for bargain deals under 23
Buy a miracle …Parish won’t cost DP only $ can spread win own ball …throw a sink at him ..at least force Bombers into uncomfortable land..

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 01 Jul 2023 12:37pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 01 Jul 2023 11:28am Going to be difficult to justify keeping Stephen Silvagni after this year.

We don’t have enough draft picks just to “recruit our own”
We need to bolster a midfield depth that’s been neglected for a decade
It’s obvious Ratten too didn’t rate the likes of Bytel
I too watch Silvagni nervously and I’d like to see Gubby do something…
Reality is the age profile of our list under gags wasn’t great and picking up a bunch of top ups didn’t work (what were they those were never in the window ffs)
We need to hold draft picks who can play mid
Look for bargain deals under 23
Buy a miracle …Parish won’t cost DP only $ can spread win own ball …throw a sink at him ..at least force Bombers into uncomfortable land..
So …what you’re saying is that if RTB wants Dow you’re right behind that decision.

I don’t actually mind Dow, but it’s difficult to forget what Greg Williams said about him.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Dow will not come on a Hannebery like 5 year deal. He will get two years with the ball firmly in his court if he wants three years.

We are beggers more than choosers thanks to a decade of poor recruiting, draft selections & list management. It appears we are back on track following the last two years, so allow Toce to continue that trend.

SOS does need to demonstrate an acumen outside of his previous club & Gubby needs a win or two in wheeling & dealing for prize recruits.

We can only balance discards, draft picks & RFAs / FAs but in order to do that we need to get ruthless with our current list.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 01 Jul 2023 1:24pm Dow will not come on a Hannebery like 5 year deal. He will get two years with the ball firmly in his court if he wants three years.

We are beggers more than choosers thanks to a decade of poor recruiting, draft selections & list management. It appears we are back on track following the last two years, so allow Toce to continue that trend.

SOS does need to demonstrate an acumen outside of his previous club & Gubby needs a win or two in wheeling & dealing for prize recruits.

We can only balance discards, draft picks & RFAs / FAs but in order to do that we need to get ruthless with our current list.
Spot on - that’s what I’m saying
Dow could be a miss completely but he costs nothing is 23 and some at Carlton are stunned he can’t get a go…think Stocker IF he comes off great if not cut
Whatever we do we must keep attacking the draft next 2-3 years to build the talent pool….it’s not deep enough
Our best starting 22 is probably close ….but missing a few A graders
I agree think we may have to make sone tough list choices
IF SOS starts trading out our high end draft picks….it’s storm Moorabbin time..

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Offer TDK first ruck and $2.1m for 3 years.
Offer Carlton Marshall for TDK and a swap of 1st and 2nd round picks.

Offer Parish whatever he wants
Offer Clark, Byrnes, Higgins, Peris, Stocker, Wood and Coffield 2 year extensions.
Offer Jones, Mackenzie, Webster and Adams 1 year extensions.

Trade Gresham Billings and Membrey for 2nd rounders and Parish's money.

Get Jack Silvagni to nominate and offer a 3rd rounder telling him he is a backup swingman and competing with Wood, Cordy and Sharman and will be playing VFL/Sub

Take Dow for free.

Delist Highmore, Bytel and Connelly.

Take pick 4-6 and 3 second rounders into the draft and improve the quality of the list with the best 3 footballers available or possibly package picks to improve our position.

Out - Marshall Gresham Billings Membrey, Highmore, Connelly, Bytel 1st round pick, 2nd round, 3rd round pick.

In - TDK, Parish, Dow, 1st round pick, 4 second round picks.

Keep or upgrade Campbell.

Over to you SOS and Gubby. 😉

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Sometimes other clubs scraps turn out to be treasures

Dylan Roberton - Delisted to AA Squad
Tim Membrey - DFA to 3 x Leading goalkicker
Mason Wood - Delisted
Liam Stocker - Delisted

And there have been many others

Work out WHY they are rejects and if they have something to offer!

See, I think Bytel will be an awesome pick up for someone else!

Dow - can’t get in a midfield with Cripps, Cerra and Walsh atm

Is he better than what we’ve got?!

Perhaps!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 01 Jul 2023 4:00pm Offer TDK first ruck and $2.1m for 3 years.
Offer Carlton Marshall for TDK and a swap of 1st and 2nd round picks.

Offer Parish whatever he wants
Offer Clark, Byrnes, Higgins, Peris, Stocker, Wood and Coffield 2 year extensions.
Offer Jones, Mackenzie, Webster and Adams 1 year extensions.

Trade Gresham Billings and Membrey for 2nd rounders and Parish's money.

Get Jack Silvagni to nominate and offer a 3rd rounder telling him he is a backup swingman and competing with Wood, Cordy and Sharman and will be playing VFL/Sub

Take Dow for free.

Delist Highmore, Bytel and Connelly.

Take pick 4-6 and 3 second rounders into the draft and improve the quality of the list with the best 3 footballers available or possibly package picks to improve our position.

Out - Marshall Gresham Billings Membrey, Highmore, Connelly, Bytel 1st round pick, 2nd round, 3rd round pick.

In - TDK, Parish, Dow, 1st round pick, 4 second round picks.

Keep or upgrade Campbell.

Over to you SOS and Gubby. 😉
It’s bold. I like it ….I really like those picks
We hit the draft like that this year and one after and we’ll have stockpiled enough young talent to challenge for some time - Tassie or not

“Yeah….nah””
Templar
Club Player

I remember early days of Nigel Smart. Looked awkward, like a baby giraffe, terrible kick at goal and couldn't pass. I made a derogative comment about him an my older pies supporter brother-in-law just looked at me, put on his sage footy eyes and said, nah he will go alright. He could see the potential and knew with a few years in the system his kicking and poise would improve, as it did, immensely.

(not related but he said about young N Riewoldt: just give him the captaincy now and for as long as likes)

TDK to me has that same baby giraffe thing going on. At 23 is he similar potential wise given rucks take longer to develop?

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Up until half time, Brad Crouch was our highest possession getter. He got 18 disposals in the first two quarters.

We were getting pantsed by the wooden spooner. Ross the boss said our midfield was ‘spluttering’ up until halftime.

Time to try a different midfield mix. I wouldn’t be surprised if Brad Crouch is ‘managed’ for the game against Melbourne.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 03 Jul 2023 6:14am Up until half time, Brad Crouch was our highest possession getter. He got 18 disposals in the first two quarters.

We were getting pantsed by the wooden spooner. Ross the boss said our midfield was ‘spluttering’ up until halftime.

Time to try a different midfield mix. I wouldn’t be surprised if Brad Crouch is ‘managed’ for the game against Melbourne.
If it wasn’t for Crouch laying 16 tackles PlUS still bring our highest possession getter our midfield woes would’ve been much worse
I think Crouch will stay right where he is
He needs help ffs
And it’s not Bytel
They tried Philipou - he’s too young
They’re trying Sinclair who was better

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Correction. Sinclair was our highest possession getter for the match

Crouch was equal second with Marshall

By the way, Sinclair had 5 inside 50's. Crouch had 1 which turned out be a turnover.

I know how you can make the mistake of thinking it was Brad. Crouch had his name plastered on your t.v screen for the first half as St Kilda's highest possession winner. He had 18 insignificant touches up until that stage.

When the game needed players to stand up and win it for the team Crouch was about 15th in line. Byrnes and Sharman and Webster had more impact.

Name two moments in the last quarter where Crouch was critical or impacted the game to help get us over the line.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 03 Jul 2023 11:29am Correction. Sinclair was our highest possession getter for the match

By the way, Sinclair had 5 inside 50's. Crouch had 1 which turned out be a turnover.

I know how you can make the mistake of thinking it was Brad. Crouch had his name plastered on your t.v screen for the first half as St Kilda's highest possession winner. He had 18 insignificant touches up until that stage.

When the game needed players to stand up and win it for the team Crouch was insignificant.

Who do you want kicking inside 50 Scollop? Sinclair or Crouch?

Sinclair got 5 inside 50's and 5 score involvements. That's good.

Crouch got 1 inside 50, which you stated, resulted in a turnover. Let's not forget the 6 scoring involvements though.

Sinclair kicked out 5 times. They are all uncontested possession. West Coasts pressure was outstanding for half a game. Crouch stood up.

Name two moments in the last quarter where Crouch was critical or impacted the game to help get us over the line.
Sinclair kicks out a fair bit Scollop, while the kicks count, they shouldn't.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 03 Jul 2023 11:29am Correction. Sinclair was our highest possession getter for the match

When the game needed players to stand up and win it for the team Crouch was about 15th in line. Byrnes and Sharman and Webster had more impact.

Who do you want kicking inside 50 Scollop? Sinclair or Crouch?

Sinclair got 5 inside 50's and 5 score involvements. That's good.

Crouch got 1 inside 50, which you stated, resulted in a turnover. Let's not forget the 6 scoring involvements though.

Sinclair kicked out 5 times. West Coasts pressure was outstanding for half a game. Crouch stood up.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair had Z metres gained and Crouch had D metres gained

Sinclair won X times loose ground balls and Crouch won C.

Sinclair had a significant impact in us winning and Crouch's disposals were by and large insignificant

I like Brad. Nice fella. Works his butt off and never stops trying

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Marshall traded

That’d be worse than McEvoy and Stanley

Which were obvious mistakes too

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 03 Jul 2023 12:04pm Marshall traded

That’d be worse than McEvoy and Stanley

Which were obvious mistakes too
You can't get high draft picks unless you lose.

On way or another.