Dougal Howard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dougal Howard

He’s saying that they’re easily the best ruckmem going round in recent years and yet none of them have been up on the dias collecting a premiership medallion on Grand Final day.

Grundy got close in 2018 and NicNat would have won one…maybe…if he hadn’t done his acl.

Maybe you don’t need the best tap ruckman. Maybe your overall strength as a midfield group is more important. Maybe you don’t even need to break even at stoppages and clearances. I remember the Hawks boasting that they weren’t even interested in winning contested ball numbers during their threepeat.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Correct Scollop.

Not too hard to follow the pattern.

That being said, I think ruckmen are of course important

As are
Key defenders
Small defenders
Running backs
Intercept defenders
Inside Mids
Outside Mids
Key forwards
Small Forwards
Hit up forwards
Pressure forwards

Thing is, you can only have a certain amount of A Graders (about 6 max)
And no one position is anymore crucial than another

It just means you have to maximise your strengths.

Melbourne is Centre Square and Key Defenders atm

Judging by our salary split the following should be A Grade
Hill, Hannebery, Billings, Steele,

And none of them (except Steele) are A Grade atm

Our strength is our dual rucks.

happy feet
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 28 Jun 2021 12:23pm He’s saying that they’re easily the best ruckmem going round in recent years and yet none of them have been up on the dias collecting a premiership medallion on Grand Final day.

Grundy got close in 2018 and NicNat would have won one…maybe…if he hadn’t done his acl.

Maybe you don’t need the best tap ruckman. Maybe your overall strength as a midfield group is more important. Maybe you don’t even need to break even at stoppages and clearances. I remember the Hawks boasting that they weren’t even interested in winning contested ball numbers during their threepeat.
We are a better team with Paddy and RoMo in the team. Good ruckmen get you first use of the ball. Where were our ruckmen when we lost the GF against Adelaide.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sure a good ruck would’ve probably meant we could have had our second flag that day, but not much went right for us that week.

We were in front at half time, but we weren’t playing that well. I thought Barry Hall needed to be swung into the middle when they got a run on in the third quarter. He had kicked a few in the first half but he was wasted just sitting in the forward line when their mids were getting out of the centre

Winmar’s old man passed away the night before the ‘97 GF and I’ve never seen Elvis play that poorly in a big game

Buckets sister meant he was not his usual self either.

I reckon the big guys that have an impact are the ones who can use their height to advantage around the ground. A good ruckman is someone who gets clearances, lays tackles, kicks goals and can give the defence a chop out. Both paddy and RoMa are excellent at contested marks and winning their own footy at ground level. They help make our midfield stronger and they boost all lines on the ground. It’s no good having a guy like Longer who was a very good (if not elite) tap ruckman but he was useless at everything else

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I pretty much agree scollop with most of your take that fateful day. I'm not sure Hall to the guts would have been the answer unless he was willing to target Jarman & McLeod as they had targeted Harves. We did effectively play two short from the start of the game though.

Interesting about the ruckmen selected in the what have they in common questions. Out of all those examples only Grundy was the standout ruckman before the GF was played, he was masterfully tagged teamed by two handy big men who were recognised for their importance. That became a blueprint the following year for Richmond with Nankervis & Soldo.

Would make for some interesting schoolyard picks.

We could go through every position and select a champion without a premiership medal and line them up against a good player with a premiership medal.

Plugger, Harvey, Riewoldt v Cloke, Hart, Bortolotto

B.M. you are spot on with the half dozen A graders and the distribution of money. This was our downfall in 09 & 10, we were thin in our bottom 6. A lack of kids willing to seize their moment &/or rejects wanting to make a statement to former clubs.

I'm glad we have RoMa & Paddy, I just wish Paddy was 5 years younger.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Try and name a premiership team that didn’t have a gun forward or gun midfielder? Or probably both!

Ruckmen are important, but no more important than other players on the ground.

Also,
Remember, Adelaide were missing a Coleman medal winner and Brownlow medallist in 97

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 28 Jun 2021 5:47pm Try and name a premiership team that didn’t have a gun forward or gun midfielder? Or probably both!

Also,
Remember, Adelaide were missing a Coleman medal winner and Brownlow medallist in 97
Why write your first paragraph then follow it up with your 2nd?

Also,

Losing their Coleman Medallist helped win them a preliminary final. St Kilda had a week to plan for that threat and failed dismally. Everitt, Vidovic & Smith v Ricciuto.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Dougal should have a look at Liam Jones' game against Thilthorpe, Liam pantsed him. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Maybe he played back shoulder??

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Are you saying Adelaide were better off without the
1997 Coleman medallist and All Australian FF?

Bizarre thinking

Maybe we were better off in final series without Plugger and G?

Maybe we should have dropped Roo in the 09 GF

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 28 Jun 2021 5:47pm Try and name a premiership team that didn’t have a gun forward or gun midfielder? Or probably both!

Also,
To win a Premiership you need to be strong in all positions, including the ruck. I wish so much that we would have had a fit Michael Gardiner in the GF against the Pies. I think the result may have been different.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s impossible to be strong in all positions

The cap doesn’t allow it

Every premiership team has very average players.

They normally have
Two A Grade Mids
An A Grade Forward
An A Grade defender

Us in 2009/2010
Hayes/Goddard
Sam Fisher
Nick Reiwoldt

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 28 Jun 2021 7:04pm Are you saying Adelaide were better off without the
1997 Coleman medallist and All Australian FF?

Bizarre thinking

Maybe we were better off in final series without Plugger and G?

Maybe we should have dropped Roo in the 09 GF
I am, they were getting beaten by the Dogs before Modra went off with his knee. Jarman went to full forward and won them the game.

No Modra for the GF, Ellen kicks 5 to keep them in touch, Jarman moves forward and seals it.

Not really bizarre thinking but your questions are. How have I said any of that in regards to Plugger, G-Train & Roo. Strange questions.

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 28 Jun 2021 7:09pm It’s impossible to be strong in all positions

The cap doesn’t allow it

Every premiership team has very average players.

They normally have
Two A Grade Mids
An A Grade Forward
An A Grade defender

Us in 2009/2010
Hayes/Goddard
Sam Fisher
Nick Reiwoldt
Strong = competitive. You can’t classify team strength like you do. How do you classify a well coached cohesive unit. You can have what you have stated above but unless they are well drilled, cohesive, ruthless and frightened to lose, you will not win a Premiership.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Hi gang great to be back after another break abs hope I haven’t missed too much??

“Yeah….nah””
asiu
Saintsational Legend

8-)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

It's 2021 isn't it ?

Who will Dougal match up on against the Pies ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?