2019 Coaching. It's a lose-lose.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Re: 2019 Coaching. It's a lose-lose.

I hope Richo and the players have a belter year to shove it up the arses of the morons.

It probably won't happen though and Richo may find himself out of a job at seasons end.

But otherwise, I'm backing the coaching group and players in for 2019. Its all you should and could do as a supporter.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Thu 01 Nov 2018 11:20pm
st.byron wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 5:54pm
Stopped being a mod coz it’s pretty well impossible to be a mod and post freely. That and the time commitment required.

Agree there’s an element of abusiveness - i.e..continually referring to a poster as ‘the flog’ - but Chico contributes much more than that.

“Runs the positive posters down”......and what are you doing to someone who doesn’t agree with you? Lifting him up?

You’re doing exactly the same thing. You’re just self righteous about it coz you reckon you’re a ‘supporter’ and he isn’t so therefore you’re in the right. And anyone else who doesn’t measure up to your definition of ‘supporter’ is tarred with the same brush.

The classic irony of a group of bullies......they gang up, they belittle, they exclude, they abuse - all the while claiming the moral high ground.

For the record I think the bullying of Ted is disgusting which includes you.
Calling out lying, baiting, deliberate conntrariness in service of inflaming the forum is not bullying. Agree I got drawn into his game for a while. He thrives on being in the centre of conflict.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 9:12am
st.byron wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 6:57am
Imagine how it would be to not start your response with a personal put down. That would be awesome.

Re the rest of your post, thanks for the debate. Agree with you that we lost a lot of on field leadership, but I don’t buy the argument that it excuses Richardson for our dismal year. I’m interpreting your argument along the same lines as those of Samoht and others who lay pretty much zero accountability at Richardson’s door. It’s all about our players not having enough talent, rather than Richardson being a rubbish coach. If that’s your view, you’re entitled to it, but I disagree.
I personally think that view gives Richardson a way too easy out. “It’s the fault of everyone else around him, but he did the best anyone could have expected in the circumstances.” It’s certainly the view the club has been advocating and we saw in the second half of last year a clear laying of blame at the players’ feet without any accountability whatsoever from Richardson or other senior management. That really stunk in my view.

Yes, development from Steele, Battle, Gresham, Marshall. Some signs there for the future. What of Acres, Dunstan, Billings, Membrey, White, McCartin, Sinclair?

But beyond looking at individual’s development, the way the team played spoke volumes about their level of belief and cohesiveness as a team. Those elements I hold Richardson directly accountable for - and we were absolute rubbish.

You could be right that all the other elements you’ve named are the real key factors in our rubbish year. The club has certainly shifted the deck chairs around Richardson in the off season in coaching staff so we shall see how 2019 unfolds.

Personally, I have zero faith in Richardson. Watching his pressers and members’ messages gives the impression he is about as inspiring as a wet sock. His match day performances seem to me to be one dimensional and unable to respond in real time when we were going down the gurgler. His “if you just park those 10 minutes....” excuses only exacerbated the image of him being clueless, unaccountable and out of his depth.

I should also add my impression of him is strongly influenced by what I’ve been told by a friend who worked with the playing group and Richardson from 2014 - 2016. The reports he gave me about Richardson’s M.O are borne out in our dismal performances this year and by Richardson’s demeanour and media presentation.

So I’m firmly in the camp he should be sacked as soon as possible and that we will go nowhere significant whilst he remains head coach.
Just to correct you ...
I didn't say the coach is unaccountable ... I am just pointing out that there are a lot of other factors at play (including injuries this year), and that "accountability" should also extend to recruiting, and that it's also the players responsibilty to get the most out of themselves.
I've also asked how we can rate and compare our coach with/against other coaches given there are so many variables at play, including the fact that the other coaches are in charge of teams with vastly different levels of talent.
I've also noted that Steele, Roberton, Membrey and now Austin have all vastly improved since crossing to us - so the environment may not be as toxic as some think. Marshall is also come along well.
And if we are going to rate coaches based on the way they come across in pressers and media presentations -- how would Alan Jeans have rated?
I'm just trying to inject some balance.
Fair enough mate. You could be right that it's all the pieces combined rather than just the apex of the triangle. I reckon that's a pretty generous perspective in this case. Am yet to see any genuine accountabily from Richardson or those backing him for his part in this year's debacle, demonstrated by his, "if you just park that quarter" etc. A man clutching at excuses, which is what I reckon he and senior management are doing. What I have seen is finger pointing at pretty much everyone else. The assistants, the players, the leadership group, the recruiters...it was everyone but Richardson who were at fault. And therein lies the reason for my distrust and lack of faith in him and those backing him.
Agree that judging a coach by his media presentation is fallible - if that were the primary factor judgement was based on. But his media face to me only reflects the way we played, which is the primary factor in judging a coach.

Time will tell in 2019. The deckchairs have certainly been rearranged, so all those other factors will no longer be an excuse.
Last edited by st.byron on Sat 03 Nov 2018 10:34am, edited 1 time in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think regardless of how you feel about development, there is little argument that recruitment could/should be better.

The thing about the GT period is that we more or less nailed our top picks consistently even if we didn’t necessarily get the best player... e.g. Judd.

This is apparently a super draft and I think we’re all transfixed on who we will get btw King, Rankine and Smith (pbly)

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 6:57am
Flagless wrote: Fri 02 Nov 2018 5:12pm
st.byron wrote: Fri 02 Nov 2018 3:35pm
Flagless wrote: Fri 02 Nov 2018 1:57pm
st.byron wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 1:42pm
Flagless wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 6:45pm
bigred wrote: Mon 29 Oct 2018 10:43pm First up, cards on the table. Richardson has completely lost me. How he is still in the role is just astounding really. Pathetic, matey performance management. Fish rots at the head. Runs are just not on the board.

We would have to win 18+ games next year to have me thinking otherwise.

I hate sacking coaches. It just reeks of failure and bad management. Never, ever a good look.

So riddle me these hypotheticals.
  • We win five games or less. We sack a coach. Probably before the half way point of the year. Season will be dusted... we lose. Wont be able to attract any players come season end. We lose.
  • We win five to ten. Good god.... They might actually consider giving him another year. We lose.
  • We win Ten to thirteen games and make the finals, going out first week. Extension imminent. We lose.
  • We win Thirteen to sixteen games. Win a final. Ratten influence. Extension granted. Christ maybe even two years.
  • Sixteen wins or more, win two finals and make a prelim. f*** sake two years. Ratten influence.
  • We win the flag and he coaches for ten years.... more. We win.
Honestly, give him the arse now. Do it. Just damn well pull the band aid off and start fresh. Give it to Ratten.

I just do not trust that Richardson is the guy that is going to get us back at the pointy end. How can you? Blind faith? We cant afford blind faith.

If he says "park that fifteen minutes" once in 2019 my TV will be in trouble.
Just a question to all those wanting Richardson sacked- how many have ever coached a season of senior footy ?
Are you going to vote in the upcoming state or federal elections? Question for you.
Have you ever been Prime Minister or Premier?
By the logic in the above post, you’re not qualified to have or express an opinion if you haven’t held those offices.
I never said anything about not having an opinion, but if you haven't coached you don' t know what you are talking about. I've never heard so many experts on coaching that have never picked up a clip board, because if they had they wouldn't espouse so much rubbish
So......I’m allowed to have an opinion...but it’s invalid because I’ve never been a senior AFL coach. That would render pretty much every commentator, ex player, armchair observer, everyone who hasn’t coached at senior AFL level unqualified to comment. Pretty narrow cohort that one.

And in Richardson’s case, all you need to know are the following facts :
5 years
33%
Zero finals
Then there is the less quantifiable matter of player development. We’re not shining are we?
That inane comment pretty much sums up how much you know about coaching.
Coaching is about maximising potential,. It's different to teaching, it's about getting players to learn, its about making them aware but also self aware. When Reiwoldt , Montagna and co were there they got to 9th, with the list at his disposal that was about as good as they were capable. With them gone and the talent, experience, leadership vacuum that was created, coupled with injuries to key players at crucial times, its doubtful a Clarkson/Sheedy/Norm Smith clone would have done much better. There are 17 other clubs in the comp, the fact is they have recruited better and they have more top line talent- The saints didn't have one player make All Australian this year- doesn't that tell you something- we lack class.
Very simplistic to say there has been no development- players develop at different rates, I' d argue that we seen significant development in Jack Steel, Battle, Gresham, Marshall, Long (despite his injuries) and even Lonie who despite being dropped several times, the coach showed faith in him and he returned that faith with some solid efforts towards the end of the year.
Coaching is a very tough gig, those on the outside are completely unaware of all the issues at play, whether it be players personal problems, mental health issues, confidence, anxiety etc. The best laid plans can come undone very quickly and the coach doesn' t always have total control. People on these pages who simply state "he can' t coach" are immature in the extreme and really have no idea what coaching is

Imagine how it would be to not start your response with a personal put down. That would be awesome.

Re the rest of your post, thanks for the debate. Agree with you that we lost a lot of on field leadership, but I don’t buy the argument that it excuses Richardson for our dismal year. I’m interpreting your argument along the same lines as those of Samoht and others who lay pretty much zero accountability at Richardson’s door. It’s all about our players not having enough talent, rather than Richardson being a rubbish coach. If that’s your view, you’re entitled to it, but I disagree.
I personally think that view gives Richardson a way too easy out. “It’s the fault of everyone else around him, but he did the best anyone could have expected in the circumstances.” It’s certainly the view the club has been advocating and we saw in the second half of last year a clear laying of blame at the players’ feet without any accountability whatsoever from Richardson or other senior management. That really stunk in my view.

Yes, development from Steele, Battle, Gresham, Marshall. Some signs there for the future. What of Acres, Dunstan, Billings, Membrey, White, McCartin, Sinclair?

But beyond looking at individual’s development, the way the team played spoke volumes about their level of belief and cohesiveness as a team. Those elements I hold Richardson directly accountable for - and we were absolute rubbish.

You could be right that all the other elements you’ve named are the real key factors in our rubbish year. The club has certainly shifted the deck chairs around Richardson in the off season in coaching staff so we shall see how 2019 unfolds.

Personally, I have zero faith in Richardson. Watching his pressers and members’ messages gives the impression he is about as inspiring as a wet sock. His match day performances seem to me to be one dimensional and unable to respond in real time when we were going down the gurgler. His “if you just park those 10 minutes....” excuses only exacerbated the image of him being clueless, unaccountable and out of his depth.

I should also add my impression of him is strongly influenced by what I’ve been told by a friend who worked with the playing group and Richardson from 2014 - 2016. The reports he gave me about Richardson’s M.O are borne out in our dismal performances this year and by Richardson’s demeanour and media presentation.

So I’m firmly in the camp he should be sacked as soon as possible and that we will go nowhere significant whilst he remains head coach.
Apologies for my persistence in challenging you re Richo isn't accountable or wasn't part of the review. Where is the evidence of this? I can't recall any club official making such claims. Is it so inconceivable that a review has very much critically reviewed Richo and his coaching? And as such is it so inconceivable he has been put on notice and also been presented with a very detailed list of areas he needs to modify and or improve?

For the life of me I just can't see how Richo hasn't been part of a club wide effort to turn over every rock and make changes where necessary. It is after all a professional sporting organisation right?

Sheez, some peoples imagination run away.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

No, its a jobs for the boys conspiracy as to why Richo "apparantly" wasn't part of a review. Maybe Lethlean and Richo used to play some footy or go to a private school together 40 years back. Or maybe their parents are best friends. Maybe their wives play tennis or polo together in Toorak. Lethlean and Richo might be brother Freemasons. The possibilities for the conspiracy are endless!

My imagination is now running wild!!! I'm thinking they're both visitors from another solar system! 👽👽👽👽👽

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Myron Gaines
Club Player

Make no mistake about it Richo was extremely close to getting the arse at seasons end. It was the irresponsible contract extension that saved him & the pay out was too great & didn’t get signed off by the Death Star. Hence why he was not part of ‘the review’.

Club are satisfied to tread water & more likely than not Richo is moved on next year. Only thing that saves him is finals. He could win 12 & miss out on finals by 1% but will still go. People at the club don’t rate him long term but understand the timings not right & the cost is too high to get rid of him now. Wait 12 months & the stars will align - good coach avail & zero early contract pay out.

Im looking forward to the coach & club apologists backing the club when Richo is given the heave ho - can’t think for themselves so say whatever the club does is right. You’ve gotta laugh at them otherwise they send you mad reading their crap.
Last edited by Myron Gaines on Sat 03 Nov 2018 2:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 1:37pm No, its a jobs for the boys conspiracy as to why Richo "apparantly" wasn't part of a review. Maybe Lethlean and Richo used to play some footy or go to a private school together 40 years back. Or maybe their parents are best friends. Maybe their wives play tennis or polo together in Toorak. Lethlean and Richo might be brother Freemasons. The possibilities for the conspiracy are endless!

My imagination is now running wild!!! I'm thinking they're both visitors from another solar system! 👽👽👽👽👽
You are a blight to this forum & 90% of members on it can’t stand you. Change your ways or be happy to be hated & to rub people up the wrong way. Choice is yours, I predict you are too arrogant to change your ways even know it’s for the benefit of the forum.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Truth hurts obviously.

As if I worry if a certain % of people like or agree with me. I'll put it on my resume when my likeness level goes above 50%....yeah right. No, I'll keep calling out the BS, over the top negativity about the club and its players and conspiracy theories whenever I feel fit.

Total = 1.
takeaway
Club Player

Myron Gaines wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 2:32pm Make no mistake about it Richo was extremely close to getting the arse at seasons end. It was the irresponsible contract extension that saved him & the pay out was too great & didn’t get signed off by the Death Star. Hence why he was not part of ‘the review’.

Club are satisfied to tread water & more likely than not Richo is moved on next year. Only thing that saves him is finals. He could win 12 & miss out on finals by 1% but will still go. People at the club don’t rate him long term but understand the timings not right & the cost is too high to get rid of him now. Wait 12 months & the stars will align - good coach avail & zero early contract pay out.

Im looking forward to the coach & club apologists backing the club when Richo is given the heave ho - can’t think for themselves so say whatever the club does is right. You’ve gotta laugh at them otherwise they send you mad reading their crap.
Source?
I agree that Richo will do well to hold his job for 2020. But until you provide some sort of source for the above I say rubbish. Posters on here were picking the date from mid season onwards when Richo would be sacked - nothing happened. Club are satisfied to tread water next year? - what a ridiculous statement, I can't imagine Lethlean "treading water", or in fact anyone at the club.

Sanctorum
Club Player

All of the argy-bargy on this topic is academic. Fact is that Richo has been backed by the club to continue as Senior Coach in 2019, and have given him great support by bringing in some very strong coaching talent to assist him to turn the team's fortunes around next season. It is also pertinent in this context to note that Blake Acres told AFL.com.au last week that the playing group back Richo and believe in him. In a similar vein, Josh Bruce stated this week that last season was an aberration which the players have put behind them to return to good form next year.

Lastly, Richo more than anyone, fans on SS included, will be very much aware that if the team fails to start the season with some strong wins, he will be replaced by mid-season.

I don't have any feelings one way or the other about Richo, but consider that it is pointless to judge his character or performance on his demeanour in the coaching box, or ineffectual media appearances - it is entirely a question of how he relates with the players,

There is not the slightest hint or suggestions from any of the players that they don't give him their full support and that should be good enough for members and supporters.

Amen.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 9:52am I hope Richo and the players have a belter year to shove it up the arses of the morons.

It probably won't happen though and Richo may find himself out of a job at seasons end.

But otherwise, I'm backing the coaching group and players in for 2019. Its all you should and could do as a supporter.

The truth is right in front of your face and so are the statistics and the putrid performances on the field and yet you display blind faith in the coach and you 'hope he shoves it up the arses of the morons'. Even though you admit that you feel the odds are against any improvement under this head coach. Who's the real moron?

So basically you want us all to support the current CEO and coach and just have blind faith like yourself. It is costing the club in many ways and probably will hurt our chances to recruit free agents. Meantime...the club falls further behind the top teams and further behind the clubs like the Lions, Bombers and Freo who are successful in their quest to recruit better players.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

You are simply put words in my mouth and making stuff up Mr Fish and Chip shop.

Read Sanctorum's post above. It explains it all.

The real moron is the poster that has Con Gorizides/Ben Longs quote in their signature.

Total = 1.
takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 4:30pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 9:52am I hope Richo and the players have a belter year to shove it up the arses of the morons.

The truth is right in front of your face and so are the statistics and the putrid performances on the field and yet you display blind faith in the coach and you 'hope he shoves it up the arses of the morons'. Even though you admit that you feel the odds are against any improvement under this head coach. Who's the real moron?

So basically you want us all to support the current CEO and coach and just have blind faith like yourself. It is costing the club in many ways and probably will hurt our chances to recruit free agents. Meantime...the club falls further behind the top teams and further behind the clubs like the Lions, Bombers and Freo who are successful in their quest to recruit better players.
If you say "blind faith for", there are also a few posters showing "blind faith against." All just opinions.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Strawman argument

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Myron Gaines
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 3:33pm Truth hurts obviously.

As if I worry if a certain % of people like or agree with me. I'll put it on my resume when my likeness level goes above 50%....yeah right. No, I'll keep calling out the BS, over the top negativity about the club and its players and conspiracy theories whenever I feel fit.
I didn’t expect anything else from you. You’d prefer to send the forum down the gurgler for your own ego. Make no mistake you are making this forum unbearable.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 3:45pm
Myron Gaines wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 2:32pm Make no mistake about it Richo was extremely close to getting the arse at seasons end. It was the irresponsible contract extension that saved him & the pay out was too great & didn’t get signed off by the Death Star. Hence why he was not part of ‘the review’.

Source?
I agree that Richo will do well to hold his job for 2020. But until you provide some sort of source for the above I say rubbish. Posters on here were picking the date from mid season onwards when Richo would be sacked - nothing happened. Club are satisfied to tread water next year? - what a ridiculous statement, I can't imagine Lethlean "treading water", or in fact anyone at the club.
I always thought Richo was unlikely to be sacked this year. The financial predicament & irresponsible contract extension ensured Richo was more than likely safe.

The club is playing the long game hence satisfied to tread water for 12 months & then pull the trigger on a new coach without having to pay out half a mill. Hold me to it for all I care.

Are we all going to call ‘source’ whenever someone makes a statement? Ok then, we all may as well keep our mouths shut & say nothing. Or hands off the keypad.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 4:30pm

Luckily the people at the club & those brought in are not as stupid as Ted. Good things are happening. I’d even say keeping Richo on for another 12 months has plenty of merit & has the bigger picture in mind (as much as I would’ve liked the bandaid to be ripped off).

Myron Gaines
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 9:35am
Myron Gaines wrote: Fri 02 Nov 2018 10:29pm
stonecold wrote: Fri 02 Nov 2018 10:01pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 02 Nov 2018 10:00pm You didn’t get it did you?
You didn't!!!!!
Please tell me you are just having a laugh & don’t really believe Richo is a capable head coach?

There’s a reason he was overlooked as head coach for so long & failed many an attempts to gain a head role. He’s a journeyman.

The guy flat out refused to interview for our role & made us beg for his services. Then he has the hide to demand an extension despite not earning one.

Best you have a think about the culture of not only the Collingwood fans but also their players in the era Richo played in & incl that famous game at vic park.

Richo has never had respect for our club & is simply a blow in. Piss him off ffs & get someone in that bleeds for the club.

I don’t need to have played or coached at the highest level to know Richo’s a garbage head coach. He’d be better suited to given the boys a rub down at half time or better yet cooking the snags at Bunnings.
:roll:
What are you rolling your eyes at you gronk

takeaway
Club Player

Myron Gaines wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 5:25pm
takeaway wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 3:45pm

Source?
I always thought Richo was unlikely to be sacked this year. The financial predicament & irresponsible contract extension ensured Richo was more than likely safe.

The club is playing the long game hence satisfied to tread water for 12 months & then pull the trigger on a new coach without having to pay out half a mill. Hold me to it for all I care.

Are we all going to call ‘source’ whenever someone makes a statement? Ok then, we all may as well keep our mouths shut & say nothing. Or hands off the keypad.
All you need to say is imo "in my opinion", rather than stating things like "make no mistake about it". If the club was "treading water", why have they made so many changes to coaching staff? Better of to leave it be and get No.1 draft pick and a new coach. Finals or gone for Richo? If he misses finals by 1% as you have stated, I very much doubt whether he would be gone - that would be an amazing effort by the club, and he would be there I would think in 2020.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 4:16pm All of the argy-bargy on this topic is academic. Fact is that Richo has been backed by the club to continue as Senior Coach in 2019, and have given him great support by bringing in some very strong coaching talent to assist him to turn the team's fortunes around next season. It is also pertinent in this context to note that Blake Acres told AFL.com.au last week that the playing group back Richo and believe in him. In a similar vein, Josh Bruce stated this week that last season was an aberration which the players have put behind them to return to good form next year.

Lastly, Richo more than anyone, fans on SS included, will be very much aware that if the team fails to start the season with some strong wins, he will be replaced by mid-season.

I don't have any feelings one way or the other about Richo, but consider that it is pointless to judge his character or performance on his demeanour in the coaching box, or ineffectual media appearances - it is entirely a question of how he relates with the players,

There is not the slightest hint or suggestions from any of the players that they don't give him their full support and that should be good enough for members and supporters.

Amen.
Hey Sanctorum. That's the second time I've seen you use that quote from Acres as evidence the players respect Richardson. With respect mate, what do you expect him to say in a media interview? A bloke who has struggled to establish himself and been in and out of the team isn't going to come out with, "we think he's rubbish and we can't wait to see the back of him."
He's just towing the party line that it's the players who have to step up and there's nothing wrong with the coach.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought that it's a win-win.

If we suck - he'll get sacked. Win.
If we are good - we're good. Win.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 9:53am
Stopped being a mod coz it’s pretty well impossible to be a mod and post freely. That and the time commitment required.

Agree there’s an element of abusiveness - i.e..continually referring to a poster as ‘the flog’ - but Chico contributes much more than that.

“Runs the positive posters down”......and what are you doing to someone who doesn’t agree with you? Lifting him up?

You’re doing exactly the same thing. You’re just self righteous about it coz you reckon you’re a ‘supporter’ and he isn’t so therefore you’re in the right. And anyone else who doesn’t measure up to your definition of ‘supporter’ is tarred with the same brush.

The classic irony of a group of bullies......they gang up, they belittle, they exclude, they abuse - all the while claiming the moral high ground.

Calling out lying, baiting, deliberate conntrariness in service of inflaming the forum is not bullying. Agree I got drawn into his game for a while. He thrives on being in the centre of conflict.
Thinking about this a little further, since I've been on the forum there has always been at least one poster who acts as the lightning rod for conflict. The one who always seems to be in the centre of arguments....it's their M.O...there was always one. In the old old days when it was much more a free for all, there were several. There was Barks4eva, joffaboy amongst others.....then Stinger was the king of conflict for some time. Then he disappeared and it was Plugger66 who was in every thread and most of the arguments.
Then he was banned and there hasn't been a poster like that until Mr.Logan joined us. He claims to be a newbie, but that, clearly, is not the case. He has been around for quite a while. Wouldn't surprise me at all if that poster is a reincarnation of a previous lightning rod for conflict. He certainly seems to enjoy it, provoke it and tries to build alliances in support of a very deliberate with us or against us paradigm. Is in most of the threads where conflict lives
Have we had someone like that before?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Geez, sone of you blokes talk some s*** about the impact I and others have on this forum. We should be thankful the entire forum isn't filled with over the top negativity and inaccuracies because I and others bring a bit of balance in.

Really can't wait for Rd 1 or more closely draft night to come around.

Anyway, Richo is coaching for 2019. Time to back Alan and the boys in.

Total = 1.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 7:44pm
st.byron wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 9:53am

Thinking about this a little further, since I've been on the forum there has always been at least one poster who acts as the lightning rod for conflict. The one who always seems to be in the centre of arguments....it's their M.O...there was always one. In the old old days when it was much more a free for all, there were several. There was Barks4eva, joffaboy amongst others.....then Stinger was the king of conflict for some time. Then he disappeared and it was Plugger66 who was in every thread and most of the arguments.
Then he was banned and there hasn't been a poster like that until Mr.Logan joined us. He claims to be a newbie, but that, clearly, is not the case. He has been around for quite a while. Wouldn't surprise me at all if that poster is a reincarnation of a previous lightning rod for conflict. He certainly seems to enjoy it, provoke it and tries to build alliances in support of a very deliberate with us or against us paradigm. Is in most of the threads where conflict lives
Have we had someone like that before?
The issue with seemed to start with the inference that he had access to information from the club that the general public didn’t and like with many ITKs, he got attacked for not naming sources.

It never really bothered me because as I’ve said many times, everyone here is a mysterious internet forumite so everything should be taken with a grain of salt... even if someone here was revealed to be an assistant coach or member of the board etc, you have no way of knowing whether the things they say are true, what their agenda is etc so who cares?
The problem however was that many forumites notec (and I agree) that much on the ‘inside word’ that he/she has provided has clearly not been true and in fact seemed to be directly lifted from the FB group, BigFooty or other online sources... hence many ppl got annoyed with the schtick.

More recently the issue (on the forum) has shifted to positive vs negative views on the club’s current direction with moments of highest contention being when there was expectation that something may or may not happen , Richo being sacked and who could we get over the trade period being the 2 best examples.

What jumped out to me over this period was just how reassured he was to everything... and I mean every single thing the club did.

Now my reputation here at the moment is being overly negative and fair enough but I don’t hate every single move the club has made...
Rapt we got Ratten and Lade
Super rapt we got Billy Slater
Reasonably happy with Hannebery and Kent though I hoped for more
Glad we re-signed Lonie

But Ted seems to like every single move from Shanghai to Alice, to Richo and so on. It’s comments like his more recent... Richo’s doing a great job and have complete confidence and faith in Richo but think he will be sacked, which have raised questions. For a period of time I tried asking questions about the logic to understand but the more recent focus has shifted to ‘people who have never coached at AFL level have no right to comment or share opinions’.

I’ve had a laugh with it the last day or so but it makes no sense to me especially given that by his own admission, those same people can share positive observations.
Like you’ve pointed out St.B, I think there is some deliberate winding up going on that I’ve been drawn into but it’s really not what this forum is about, for me at least so this is the last I’ll say to / about the handful of posters pushing this line.

This forum exists for people to share and discuss their opinions and the rationale behind them. Agree or not that’s fine but trying to shoot down the discussion is not cool.
Last edited by skeptic on Mon 05 Nov 2018 8:59pm, edited 1 time in total.