Billy Cost Us The Game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: Billy Cost Us The Game

No Welly, it wasn't you!!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―
stonecold
SS Life Member

More Coaches Votes for Billy this week, more Humble Pie!!!!!

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

would that be the same coach that picks Lonie each week

Seeya
supersaints
Club Player

I'm not has hard on others as Stonecold!!!!!! But I have stated all season that with no 3rd man up
Billy was going to be the one shining through this season ,,, Billy will end up in a he Mumford mold.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
stonecold
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote:would that be the same coach that picks Lonie each week
Humble Pie and Short Straws now!!!!!

Don't think Simpson picks Lonie?????

And Richo doesn't pick him every week!!!!!

stonecold
SS Life Member

supersaints wrote:I'm not has hard on others as Stonecold!!!!!! But I have stated all season that with no 3rd man up
Billy was going to be the one shining through this season ,,, Billy will end up in a he Mumford mold.
This!!!!!

I'm not hard on other posters, not at all, could and have gone much harder in the past!!!!!

Some just find Humble Pie a little bitter!!!!!

loris
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:No doubt you have backed Longer and Geary for the Brownlow quinella?

They are both at "Write your own ticket" odds to get a vote.

Ordinary players.

Ordinary results.

So, 99 change hands.

The real problem with Longer is that, as yesterday again confirmed, we can not use him as an around the ground option.

He has no presence except for crashing a ruck contest, if he can get to it.

And come the heat of Finals football that will be telling - as a significant negative for St Kilda.
I thought you posted recently, you weren't replying to posters anymore? You were just doing a hit 'n run job now. You would be posting your opinion but not engaging in any retorts etc.

Has stonecold sucked you in????? Look out, stoney might lure you into reading the Murdoch media shortly!!!!!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Billy played well against the Eagles. So did Jack Billings. So did Shane Savage. So did Luke Dunstan. Four much-maligned players who have kept their heads up and are coming good! Rather than take pot shots at other posters, I find it a good opportunity for us ALL to celebrate!

St Kilda forever πŸ”΄βšͺ️⚫️ ( God help me)
stonecold
SS Life Member

thejiggingsaint wrote:Billy played well against the Eagles. So did Jack Billings. So did Shane Savage. So did Luke Dunstan. Four much-maligned players who have kept their heads up and are coming good! Rather than take pot shots at other posters, I find it a good opportunity for us ALL to celebrate!

Not taking pot shots, just like to see some posters take accountability for their lack of football knowledge!!!!!

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

stonecold wrote:

Not taking pot shots, just like to see some posters take accountability for their lack of football knowledge!!!!!
Ok ok I'll wave a white flag
not in surrender but in peace
I dont know the intent or inference that the OP wrote this thread - but I took it in the same vein that T Hickey cost us the game against EFC (which you whole heartedly would concur)
As for my footy knowledge - Im assuming it is around abouts similar to yours - maybe more maybe less - it matters little here, & cudos for your staunch support of B Longer over all others
However where we really differ is your belief that the future of ruck work amounts to pure 50/50 tapwork or in other words a dinosaur
AS i said previously if you do then you go into the game an onballer down. Today you need a player who can leap, is quick, skillful by hand and foot, can take a clutch mark in a pack in attack and defence, can kick a goal, and have more endurance than his direct opponent.

Has P Ryder been mentioned before?
ok thats a bit cheeky - sorry

Seeya
stonecold
SS Life Member

Sunsaint, no need to say sorry, everyone on here is entitled to their opinion, yours is different to mine, that's fine!!!!!

Disagree though on any player costing a game in the AFL, (Billy Longer, Tom Hickey or anyone else), but that's just my opinion!!!!!

As for the bigger physical ruckmen, well they are coming back!!!!!

Happy to agree to disagree and move on, at least you have smelt the Humble Pie!!!!!
Bit cheeky on my part!!!!! ;-)

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I take the blame for our losses.
Each time we lost, I had worn my Saints polo shirt before the game.
Tempted as I was to wear it here in Perth last week,
to show the local trailer park trash, I resisted.
It's still hidden in the cupboard like the Man in The Iron Mask- not to see the light of day.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the β€πŸ€πŸ–€ and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
GregPackhamsHeadband
Club Player

There is little doubt that Billy is significantly better than the 2015 model. It shows the value of regular senior football to aid development. I doubt he'd have improved if he'd been languishing in the VFL. The downside is that through a combination of injury and a lack of opportunity (exactly what Billy endured last year) Hickey has regressed. What a dilemma. Hickey's best is very good. Billy's form has been on a steady upward trend all year.

They both offer very different benefits. Hickey was almost an extra midfielder last year. Billy's aggression and strength around the stoppages helps our mids. He's also starting to get more of the ball. At 23, he's still,a long way from his peak. It's a pity there doesn't appear to be room for both in the side. Neither offers enough as a potential forward. That's where Rowan Marshall comes in. He can play forward, back and pinch hit in the ruck. That's if he continues his development over the summer. If all three remain on the list, preseason rucking exercises could get interesting! Kudos to Billy. He was offered as potential trade last year. Now he's our number one ruckman.

I think you're pretty tough, don't I?
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:There is little doubt that Billy is significantly better than the 2015 model. It shows the value of regular senior football to aid development. I doubt he'd have improved if he'd been languishing in the VFL. The downside is that through a combination of injury and a lack of opportunity (exactly what Billy endured last year) Hickey has regressed. What a dilemma. Hickey's best is very good. Billy's form has been on a steady upward trend all year.

They both offer very different benefits. Hickey was almost an extra midfielder last year. Billy's aggression and strength around the stoppages helps our mids. He's also starting to get more of the ball. At 23, he's still,a long way from his peak. It's a pity there doesn't appear to be room for both in the side. Neither offers enough as a potential forward. That's where Rowan Marshall comes in. He can play forward, back and pinch hit in the ruck. That's if he continues his development over the summer. If all three remain on the list, preseason rucking exercises could get interesting! Kudos to Billy. He was offered as potential trade last year. Now he's our number one ruckman.
Perfect assessment.

Inaccurate kicking for goal has cost us games.
Poor decisions around the ground. Etc etc
One player can't be saddled with the blame.
They say ruckmen get better with age- lots of upside here

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the β€πŸ€πŸ–€ and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Moods
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Billy played well against the Eagles. So did Jack Billings. So did Shane Savage. So did Luke Dunstan. Four much-maligned players who have kept their heads up and are coming good! Rather than take pot shots at other posters, I find it a good opportunity for us ALL to celebrate!

Right then, so if Billy gets towelled up this week, (against a bloody good ruckman) you will put your hand up and say you got it wrong and you have no idea about footy??? I doubt it. He's been toweled up countless times this year. A week is a long time in footy.

People are entitled to their opinions on Billy. I myself was rapt with his game on the weekend. I also agree with TTT in that he has a long way to go with regards to his ground ball work and also marking in the air, decision making etc. Sunday his ruck work was quite exceptional though and he had presence in the packs. He's by no means a star and I hope he becomes one - but I doubt it. If he can play like he did on Sunday on a consistent level I'll be very happy though.

These 'I told you so' threads are extremely tiring and pointless. We do all barrack for the same club. I personally don't have a favourite player per se, I don't care if Jack Lonie comes in and kicks 6 goals or Roo kicks 6. We all just want to win.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Whatever Moods!!!!!

I will continue to back Billy, your opinion has no place on my mindset, no one player eve costs a game of football, ever!!!!!

All the best to you and your opinion though, wish you well!!!!!

ace
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
GregPackhamsHeadband wrote:There is little doubt that Billy is significantly better than the 2015 model. It shows the value of regular senior football to aid development. I doubt he'd have improved if he'd been languishing in the VFL. The downside is that through a combination of injury and a lack of opportunity (exactly what Billy endured last year) Hickey has regressed. What a dilemma. Hickey's best is very good. Billy's form has been on a steady upward trend all year.

Perfect assessment.

Inaccurate kicking for goal has cost us games.
Poor decisions around the ground. Etc etc
One player can't be saddled with the blame.
They say ruckmen get better with age- lots of upside here
When I turn 100 in a few days time I will put my hand up for selection.
I'll win the premiership single handed.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Crossy66
Club Player

Moods wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Right then, so if Billy gets towelled up this week, (against a bloody good ruckman) you will put your hand up and say you got it wrong and you have no idea about footy??? I doubt it. He's been toweled up countless times this year. A week is a long time in footy.

People are entitled to their opinions on Billy. I myself was rapt with his game on the weekend. I also agree with TTT in that he has a long way to go with regards to his ground ball work and also marking in the air, decision making etc. Sunday his ruck work was quite exceptional though and he had presence in the packs. He's by no means a star and I hope he becomes one - but I doubt it. If he can play like he did on Sunday on a consistent level I'll be very happy though.

These 'I told you so' threads are extremely tiring and pointless. We do all barrack for the same club. I personally don't have a favourite player per se, I don't care if Jack Lonie comes in and kicks 6 goals or Roo kicks 6. We all just want to win.
Whether Billy gets beaten or not this weekend is irrelevant to me. Gawn was AA last year, and along with Ryder (will be AA this year) is the best in the business. I do care that he gives 100% effort and continues his improvement and gives a good account of himself. I think he will be pivotal in our 2019 / 20 tilt at a flag

To the top
SS Life Member

1. 7. 1. 29
0. 5. 2. 36
0. 4. 1. 48
2. 4. 0. 32
0. 5. 0. 37
3. 15. 4 55
1. 15. 2. 33
0. 6. 2. 30
1. 8. 0. 30
1. 7. 2. 48
2. 9. 4. 39
2. 11. 1. 43
0. 5. 0. 32
2. 11. 2. 51

Most kicks in any 1 game = 3
Most handballs in any 1 game = 15
Most marks in any 1 game = 4

Number of games with zero kicks = 5
Number of games with zero marks = 4

So keep banging on about what a brilliant footballer he is by YOUR assessment as an oracle of the code

Crossy66
Club Player

To the top wrote:1. 7. 1. 29
0. 5. 2. 36
0. 4. 1. 48
2. 4. 0. 32
0. 5. 0. 37
3. 15. 4 55
1. 15. 2. 33
0. 6. 2. 30
1. 8. 0. 30
1. 7. 2. 48
2. 9. 4. 39
2. 11. 1. 43
0. 5. 0. 32
2. 11. 2. 51

So keep banging on about what a brilliant footballer he is by YOUR assessment as an oracle of the code
Shall do. Clearly we watch the game differently and that ok. Just dont understand the time and effort that goes into raining hate on a developing player for a club you support. i didnt say he was a brilliant footballer, just said he is developing well and will be really good in 2 years (2019 / 20) when it matters most.
right now i think he is playing very well and is our best ruckman by some margin.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote:
To the top wrote:1. 7. 1. 29
0. 5. 2. 36
0. 4. 1. 48
2. 4. 0. 32
0. 5. 0. 37
3. 15. 4 55
1. 15. 2. 33
0. 6. 2. 30
1. 8. 0. 30
1. 7. 2. 48
2. 9. 4. 39
2. 11. 1. 43
0. 5. 0. 32
2. 11. 2. 51

... he is developing well and will be really good in 2 years (2019 / 20) when it matters most.
Bang! Bingo! Cowabunga!!

If posters (maybe even coaches sometimes) actually were a little more honest in their assessment of a players performance and communicated this type of message we wouldn't be so vocal in our disagreement. I do not disagree that Billy could develop into a better ruckman and a very good player. I love his effort, his aggression and he is obviously liked among the group but...

I mean c'mon! WTF is going on when Longer gets more coaches votes than Billings. I just watched the second half for the third time (once live at the ground and now twice on the tv). Don't tell me Billy had more of an influence on the game result, had more goal assists and was involved in more chains that led to goals. Billings was even influentual with some brilliant tackles and in stopping goals and attacking moves. Yes Longer played his role, he worked really hard, and beat his opponent, but if his opponent wasn't that good and if his opponent is not normally a matchwinner or that influentual then who gives a...
Last edited by Scollop on Wed 09 Aug 2017 11:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

To the top
SS Life Member

So detailing season statics is "raining hate"

And gazing into some mystical zone that says we will compete in 2019/2020 is an abject nonsense

As in most things in life, it is a competition and the way you achieve the desired outcome is to compete at every opportunity including by maximising your skills and improving your deficiencies

Because everyone else will be doing the same

The competition never stands still

So to talk to 2019/2020 is abject nonsense

stonecold
SS Life Member

Time for the Nursing Home!!!!!

Enjoy!!!!!

Glad your 'Not reviewing my tapes or coaching my football team!!!!!

Blah, blah, blah, Richo carnt coach, Billy carnt play, coaches don't know the game or who's playing their role better than others, Carpark Marfia, that's what us coaches call them, blah, blah, blah, blah!!!!!

To the top
SS Life Member

I also thought Acres was excellent including the handball he fed at the centre bounce after WCE reduced the margin to 1 point

How Acres and Billings did not feature in the votes surprised me

Moods
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:Time for the Nursing Home!!!!!

Enjoy!!!!!

Glad your 'Not reviewing my tapes or coaching my football team!!!!!

Blah, blah, blah, Richo carnt coach, Billy carnt play, coaches don't know the game or who's playing their role better than others, Carpark Marfia, that's what us coaches call them, blah, blah, blah, blah!!!!!

US Coaches???? :shock:

Who do you coach?