mock draft 2015

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: mock draft 2015

saintsRrising wrote:With our first pick anywhere from 3-8 (and more likely closer to 8 than 3) it looks like we should get a good mid.
At present we get pick no 6 and only 8 games to go.
Essendon need to win an extra game to get above us on the ladder, Melbourne need to win an extra 2.
We would need to win an extra 2 games to get above Port Adelaide.

The most likely outcome is we get pick 5 or 6. It all depends on whether James Hird decides to tank.
With his job under threat he may just try hard enough to let us slip into pick No 5.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
FQF
SS Life Member

Enjoying the pooling of great knowledge from many posters. Two points from me:

1. Surely we don't draft Matheison unless he is absolute stand out at our pick. We are already well overstocked for one paced inside mids (throw in sloppy skills and it's a no brainer).

2. I don't get why father sons/academies should come with a 20% discount. Surely it's more than enough of an advantage that Sydney (for eg) get the chance to jump the queue and bid on a low pick.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Enjoying the pooling of great knowledge from many posters. Two points from me:

1. Surely we don't draft Matheison unless he is absolute stand out at our pick. We are already well overstocked for one paced inside mids (throw in sloppy skills and it's a no brainer).

2. I don't get why father sons/academies should come with a 20% discount. Surely it's more than enough of an advantage that Sydney (for eg) get the chance to jump the queue and bid on a low pick.
Top 5-6 picks will always be used on best player available unless there are very closely matched talents. See Petracca and McCartin last year.

Mathieson will be around the mark with our first pick, I wouldn't be surprised if he's on our short list behind Darcy Parish.

I still think there's a place for discounted father son picks, and the new system is a lot fairer than the old system. A 20% discount isn't a lot and the difference is only a few picks, pick 10 becomes pick 8 with the discount.

Teams with academy picks may have to use all their picks, possibly future draft picks or trade out players to get the academy players. It adds another element to trade/draft time. Further, some of the academy kids would not even play AFL if it weren't for the academy system so it's bringing in talent that otherwise may not have been there. Saying that, the fact GWS has access to kids from the Riverina is bulls***.

FQF
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:
FQF wrote:Enjoying the pooling of great knowledge from many posters. Two points from me:

Top 5-6 picks will always be used on best player available unless there are very closely matched talents. See Petracca and McCartin last year.

Mathieson will be around the mark with our first pick, I wouldn't be surprised if he's on our short list behind Darcy Parish.

I still think there's a place for discounted father son picks, and the new system is a lot fairer than the old system. A 20% discount isn't a lot and the difference is only a few picks, pick 10 becomes pick 8 with the discount.

Teams with academy picks may have to use all their picks, possibly future draft picks or trade out players to get the academy players. It adds another element to trade/draft time. Further, some of the academy kids would not even play AFL if it weren't for the academy system so it's bringing in talent that otherwise may not have been there. Saying that, the fact GWS has access to kids from the Riverina is bulls***.
Is there anything to stop Sydney say trading for a whole heap of 50+ picks so that they can hold on to their second rounder?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

mock draft 2015

FQF wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

Is there anything to stop Sydney say trading for a whole heap of 50+ picks so that they can hold on to their second rounder?
They have to use their next pick after the bid. If a team bids pick 5 for Mills Syd would then use their first rounder (next pick) plus others to make up the points.

stjay
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:

Have to add that Mathieson was also an AA player in the same year as Petrecca & Brayshaw so he is a stand out mid in the draft, worthy of a v high pick and definitely no booby prize.
The Riverina zoning annoys me big time but they're determined to turn GWS into a powerhouse.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Teflon wrote:just give me best pick please.....all about choice and not stuffing it up from there..
dont worry too much Teffers

we will have pick 4-7

Scenario works like this

1-3 Probs Schache, Weitering, Francis. This seems to be the consensus

4-8 in no particular order except Parish then Mathesion, Balic, Tucker, Dunkley

if we have 4 we will take Parish, any one of the others up to 8.

Club likes Parish, then Mathesion

However if any of 1-3 are available we may take one of those

Also if Kennedy or Mills are about, we may take one of those.

Also heard we are shaking loose some underplayed franchise players from up north

Strong murmourings that Lachie Weller want to get out of Freo ASAP and big bro' has been in his ear....

Really,its not what we do with our first pick, it is nailing our second and third as we have been doing that will even out our team in the long run. Players like Newnes, Bruce, Lonie, Sinclair, DMac, Goddard etc, will be excellent players for the Saints. All have been relatively late picks.

Relax and enjoy one or two more wins as we will be stocking up on some real potential.

Exactly. If we are relying on our first pick to get up the ladder it just wouldn't happen. Sides improve when they get a draft like us in 2001. We got about 6 regulars and most of them very good players. Anyone hoping one player gets you up the ladder needs to start watching basketball where one player is 20% of the side and not less than 5%. Even the last 2 drafts for us have proven it isn't just the top picks that do the job.
Think its more about the first pick being the only one we can speculate on coz 2nd & 3rd round is simply too hard to know. Most here would recognise the massive contributions made by players other than first round draft picks.
Well said and yes most do get that already but sometimes you still just gotta state the obvious to help the slow ones along.. :lol:
But you didn't speculate on a name so BM made an obvious comment. A comment that went of the head of those thinking the best pick will solve all the issues. Meh.
That doesn't even make sense
Leave the sauce alone

“Yeah….nah””
citywest

Darcy Parish at pick 5 & Kieran Collins at pick 23......if this happens I will be very happy. :D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Darcy Parish at pick 5 & Kieran Collins at pick 23......if this happens I will be very happy. :D
As would we all. or most of us anyway.
Not sure if we will get pick 23 though and doubt that Collins will still be there come our second pick, what with free agency compensation picks (Adelaide) and priority picks

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
citywest wrote:Darcy Parish at pick 5 & Kieran Collins at pick 23......if this happens I will be very happy. :D
As would we all. or most of us anyway.
Not sure if we will get pick 23 though and doubt that Collins will still be there come our second pick, what with free agency compensation picks (Adelaide) and priority picks

What priority picks? How does Parish and Collins play? Have you seen much of them to tell us their strengths and any weaknesses?

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Plugger plugger plugger
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Thu 13 Aug 2015 4:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Plugger take your meds and go and have a lie down you are starting to become over the top again!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Plugger take your meds and go and have a lie down you are starting to become over the top again!

I don't understand your comments at all. Can you explain? or it just another excuse to have a go at me. A poor excuse mind you.

Freebird
Club Player

He means you are an annoying fool and to pss off for a while so we can read the threads uninterrupted by your pathetic little ego

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:He means you are an annoying fool and to pss off for a while so we can read the threads uninterrupted by your pathetic little ego

As opposed to your gold which consists of not understanding gays or racism and just having a go at others but never really commenting on my club. Got to be doubts it yours based on your posting history. Did you ever find that person you lied about?

Now go away or keep on topic. Sad.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
stjay wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote: Lachie Weller seems certain to come back to Vic if not this off season, then the next.
Definitely done well so far, hoping there's another Brucey out there waiting to come to the Saints.
Any chance you can elaborate on the Lachie Weller mail? Would be awesome to get him to the Saints and he's quoted as saying it's his dream to play with his big bro.
Hope you're right coz the times I have checked out his stats at Peel Thunder he seems to be averaging 20 possessions a game so he looks to be developing really well.

Cant really elaborate, but from the WA Saints who are keeping an eye on him, they say he is not happy and wants out ASAP.

Does this mean Saints? Well our leverage is Mav and that is the reason why many are hopeful.

Also depends on what it would cost. Only one year in the West, would cost a bit to prise him out. After two, he is OOC which if he is going would be the most likely time you would think.
What WA saints would that be ???
im not sure where the Weller unhappy thing is coming from he has a good relationship with Cam Shepherd (Peel coach) he isn't getting games at the moment (although he has been the sub twice) but that's cause Freo are setting their team for a flag tilt ... from what ive seen he is getting A LOT of attention from the WA ladies over here so I would say he is having quite the time over here.... Tom Lamb on the other hand being out injured is feeling a bit glum about the start to his AFL career

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ian Cooper's grandson.We could probably find room for both in the years ahead.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:Ian Cooper's grandson.We could probably find room for both in the years ahead.
Weller is settling in fine at Freo so I don't know where the talk of him wanting out is coming from ? he recently moved out of his host familys house and is now sharing a place with a couple of the dockers younger blokes .. if anything he is settled better than most
Tom Lamb is just feeling glum cause he is injured once he gets fit again and gets a regular game for WCE he will be very happy there ... I ddont think either will play for us to be honest

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I really can't see why anyone brought up in the eastern states would want to live in the West.

Too hot, too many sharks , too isolated and far too insular and backward.

But that's only my opinion.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote:Ian Cooper's grandson.We could probably find room for both in the years ahead.
Who's Ian Coopers grandson?

Is he really skinny as well?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:I really can't see why anyone brought up in the eastern states would want to live in the West.

good call ... you stay where you are in Melbourne then Stinger ... leave WA for the rest of us to enjoy

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
saynta wrote:I really can't see why anyone brought up in the eastern states would want to live in the West.

good call ... you stay where you are in Melbourne then Stinger ... leave WA for the rest of us to enjoy

Just a hint to you and all other posters bar Saynta. I got a warning for calling saynta that name so watch out guys. The person who changes his name becomes the protected one.

SMS
Club Player

We will get Lamb by 2018
We need him. He is exactly what we need fast and tall.
Lets get all the fast players over 186cm. We are so slow and small. See us against freo??
It was like under 14s playing a senior side.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:We will get Lamb by 2018
We need him. He is exactly what we need fast and tall.
Lets get all the fast players over 186cm. We are so slow and small. See us against freo??
It was like under 14s playing a senior side.

There really must be 2 of you who use the same nic.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

Just a hint to you and all other posters bar Saynta. I got a warning for calling saynta that name so watch out guys. The person who changes his name becomes the protected one.
ahhh cheers for the heads up ... I haven't been around for a while so I don't know the ins and out of the situation but it seems to me pretty damn clear who is who .. the posting style is the dead give away ...
it would be somewhat ironic though if I did get a warning after all my first and only ever warning I have ever recieved before I left here for a while was because I made fun of Stinger so if I got another one for making fun of Saynta it would be fitting