Big mid fielders

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
SainterK wrote:
I agree, but only if the inside types can be creative....

The reality is, that in 09 Lenny and Ball combined for 8 goals, 8!!!

I too hope Armo can rotate through the midfield, but he needs to kick a few, perhaps even rest forward at times.
This is a massive over simplification. Goals kicked is a terrible way to assess midfielders.

It doesn't matter at all where your teams goals come from - only that they come consistently. The 2009 Saints were 4th in the league in Goals for, and posted the best defense in the history of the 22 round-16 team competition, and "the reality" is that Ball and Hayes contributed 8 goals?

The reality is that their "8 goals" were an utter irrelevancy to the 2009 Saints.

I am not over simpifying it at all, I said it's a huge part of modern footy, but said clearances and being a part of a scoring chain are both massive components as well.

Ball didn't fair much better this year, he only kicked 7, I don't see how saying kicking goals isn't either he or Lennys strong suit makes me an over simplifier of things?

I have no probs with Lenny being an inside midfielder and dedicating his enitre role to that, Collingwood would have no issue Luke dedicating his entire role to that, but I think the next guy that helps us inside needs to do more than that.

You don't agree, that's cool, it's an interesting discussion.
Lenny Hayes role is not, and never has been "shovel". Lenny Hayes is one of the most creative mids we have. He's one of the best line breakers we have. The undisputed fact that he goes inside and wins his own ball doesn't in any way detract from that.

Measuring "creativity" by goals scored just doesn't work, and trying to do so over-simplifies.

Hayes has 217 contested possessions (i.e. Hayes is the player who takes possession of a disputed ball or "steals" possession from the opposition) against 465 uncontested (he receives the ball from a teammate through either handball or kick). That means across the season, about 1/3 of his stats are "shovel" (certainly meets the criteria for inside). He's got a 50/50 kick to handball ration and a 70% overall efficiency...

It's fairly fundamental then: 19 uncontested touches a game, and if we can assume a large potion of his 14 handballs a game are getting used up by his 9 contested possessions a game, that means Lenny Hayes is gut running to receive and kick the ball on the run... and if Hayes contested disposal conforms to league averages, it's pretty likely that to get to an overall of 70%, he's doing it well too.

In a nutshell, in designating him as a "spade" because of low goal totals, you're ignoring (at least) 2/3s of his touches of the football, in 3/4s of the ground. If that's not an over-simplification, what is it?

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Completely agree BAM! - what I tried to say, but couldn't express it like that, and didn't back it up with these stats when I wrote 'In and under players can also be creative'

I still reckon Hayes needs help and that Armitage may be the only other one to combine both the inside clearance work and creativity :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

MCG-Unit wrote:...

I still reckon Hayes needs help and that Armitage may be the only other one to combine both the inside clearance work and creativity :shock:
More ball winning is never a bad thing... I've thought a few times that the player who benefits most from the changes in assistant coaches ought to be Armitage.

We know he can win contested ball at AFL level. We know he can "kick a few", we know he tackles hard... yet he wasn't able to stick either as a mid or forward. Relative to time on ground, his possession totals are pretty low, and he doesn't seem to be able to work himself into position to receive the ball at AFL level as he does at VFL.

Many theories have abounded as to why. All we can be sure of is by end of 2010, Armo was dominating the V without getting selected for AFL matches.

A new coaching staff represents a new set of evaluators to impress, philosophies to align to... and opportunity to get out on the field and make a mark.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:...

More ball winning is never a bad thing... I've thought a few times that the player who benefits most from the changes in assistant coaches ought to be Armitage.

We know he can win contested ball at AFL level. We know he can "kick a few", we know he tackles hard... yet he wasn't able to stick either as a mid or forward. Relative to time on ground, his possession totals are pretty low, and he doesn't seem to be able to work himself into position to receive the ball at AFL level as he does at VFL.

Many theories have abounded as to why. All we can be sure of is by end of 2010, Armo was dominating the V without getting selected for AFL matches.
A new coaching staff represents a new set of evaluators to impress, philosophies to align to... and opportunity to get out on the field and make a mark.

Really..???

He had two stints with the same knee injury. He came back but wasnt dominating... Playing well for a player coming back off an injury stint thou.

The way I saw it was he dominated a few games, some he got injured in. And got rewarded for his efforts with selection in R21/22.

But he cramped up in R22 and fitness of running out a match might have held him back at finals time.

lefty
Club Player

Raph won't play in the midfield, he'd just do his hammy time after time.

You need a hard nut, in and under, his name is Armatige, you play him, we win the contested ball.

If people cannot see that, nor see why we lost the grand final (which was due to not winning the contested ball in the midfield), I give up.