JB’s future at Moorabbin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

takeaway
Club Player

Re: JB’s future at Moorabbin

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 11:12am
takeaway wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 11:07am
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 10:41am
B.M wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 10:24am Has played 150 games. Until last season he was very durable

Injuries happen to players during their careers- his is just happening now.

Is Ollie Hotton or Angus McLennen or Nick Coffield or Jack Hayes finished because the can’t get on the park.

Robert Harvey played less than 50% of games from 2000-2002 at 29-31yo

He then played another 6 seasons and 120 games
2021 Round 13 & 14 injured
2021 Round 21 & 22 injured
2022 Rounds 1-9 injured.
2022 Rounds 11-13 injured
2022 Rounds 19 guess what happened.

How's 2023 looking?

Interesting how many here were willing to label Hannerbery cooked.
Billings took a huge cut.
Billings couldn't get a better contract. We re contracted our own cooked player, just as we were offloading Hanners and Paddy.
Playing most of 2021 with plantar fasciitis was a mistake in hindsight. Affected his gait and body in general, back and leg issues since.

Yes, definitely cooked for the next few weeks, hopefully will get on the park for the last few games, and maybe help us into the finals. (??) We need his class.
Hotton has equal to Billings class, he has more speed and a better goal sense and he still has 10 years to become a midfielder.
Wow, you sure do go early. Don't know much about Hotton. Has he played yet?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Hotton hasn’t even played a game in anger yet!

If he had Billings class, I’m not sure why he lasted to pick 35 in the ND

I hope he becomes as good as Billings

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

I’m keen on Hotton. If he lives up to his hype he would be second fiddle to Windhager and I’m okay with that. Matty Lloyd says he is the best clearance player he’s seen in a while. If he’s a quick Tim Taranto that doesn’t butcher the ball then our midfield will be in good stead.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 06 Jun 2023 8:03pm
Sainternist wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 2:01pm
lewdogs wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 1:49pm Billings is contracted until 2025. Maybe they're looking at that contract and going we have plenty of time with him, get his body cherry ripe and then give him an opportunity.

If the coaches genuinely consider him a VFL level player then that contract is pretty concerning.
That contract renewal at the end of 2021 made very little sense. It was almost as though they wanted to keep him just in case he comes back into career best form after there was zero interest from other clubs.

But who’s to say that he isn’t a part of Lyon’s future plans. For all we know, Ross left Phillipou in the team because he felt JB wasn’t 100% to come back and he’ll be playing against Sydney. Billings is almost an enigma haha
Does the boss of the football department have a say in list management? If yes ...then another black mark on the Lethers legacy

The decisions made by Lethlean will haunt our club for the next decade.

Thankfully we lucked out with recruiting at the National Draft in 2021 and 2022 and there's still hope that we will get it right during this current rebuild
That’s an interesting question in regards to Lethlean. It’d be good to know. Old mate Simon is a bit of Jekyll-Hyde figure.

It’s also curious that you refer to the team’s current status as being in rebuild. Can’t say I disagree. I suppose it is possible to rebuild without bottoming out. Mind you, apart from making finals in 2020 (that year was an anomaly, anyway), it feels like we’ve been in rebuild since around 2012. I still can’t get over the club’s promise to the supporters back when Richardson first took the helm, saying we’d be be in premiership contention by 2018. It just goes to show how long we’ve been pushing great big sacks of manure uphill for a while now.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 12:02pm
B.M wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 10:24am Has played 150 games. Until last season he was very durable

Is Ollie Hotton or Angus McLennen or Nick Coffield or Jack Hayes finished because the can’t get on the park.

2022 Rounds 1-9 injured.

How's 2023 looking?

Billings couldn't get a better contract. We re contracted our own cooked player, just as we were offloading Hanners and Paddy.
Playing most of 2021 with plantar fasciitis was a mistake in hindsight. Affected his gait and body in general, back and leg issues since.

Yes, definitely cooked for the next few weeks, hopefully will get on the park for the last few games, and maybe help us into the finals. (??) We need his class.
Hotton has equal to Billings class, he has more speed and a better goal sense and he still has 10 years to become a midfielder.
Billings was touted as a top 5 draft pick.
Apparently, he was durable until 12 months ago and he turned a game and won it for us against North, once, from memory.
Never picked AA and I dont think he can possibly be as good as Jack and Seb, cause they won all the B&F's in those halcyon post Lyon days. Hotton doesn't need to be very good,he just needs everyone else to be pretty average.

Let's just say, I was never a Billings fan. He's been OK. It just gets worse from here.

takeaway
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 2:53pm
takeaway wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 12:02pm

2022 Rounds 1-9 injured.

How's 2023 looking?

Billings was touted as a top 5 draft pick.
Apparently, he was durable until 12 months ago and he turned a game and won it for us against North, once, from memory.
Never picked AA and I dont think he can possibly be as good as Jack and Seb, cause they won all the B&F's in those halcyon post Lyon days. Hotton doesn't need to be very good,he just needs everyone else to be pretty average.

Let's just say, I was never a Billings fan. He's been OK. It just gets worse from here.
Think it was vs Bulldogs.
Billings suffers because the bloke picked after him was elite, also he is not a "spectacular" player, which simple supporters notice more. How many elite No. 3 picks have there been in the 40 odd years of drafting - I can think of 2 - Judd & Martin. Billings stacks up pretty well in the list of pick 3s, especially as he has played mainly high HF. Let's hope Hotton can get to Billings' level, maybe they play some years together.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Olli Hotton is playing for Sandy contrary to the injury report sent out yesterday. What do us plebs know? :roll:

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Hotton will only have to be a middle of the road midfielder, who turns up consistently to be a better player than Billings in my opinion. Billings is the classic historical St Kilda player who looks good in a bad side and supporters cling to him because they have nothing else to be positive about. He is a below average player GOP who shirks more contests than he wins and chokes in big moments in games.

Picking Billings over Bontempelli will go down as bad a decision as McCartin over Petracca or Ball over Judd. Each one of those players have basically won flags for their respective clubs.

Killa
Club Player

Can not resist this, so here goes.

It makes you wonder about who contributes to this site (and why you continue to contribute).

To quote myself "What we can do with the side which will be selected to play Sydney this week is add 3 Top 10 Draft Picks, which will significantly improve the side.

And that is something to look forward to - even if is 2024"

To which Ghost Like responds

"What does that all mean in relation to the topic? Keep him or no?

Spare me.

As I say, it makes you wonder about who (or what!) contributes to this site.

I would plead that by including that the addition of 3 Top 10 Draft Picks to the side to be announced today - even if is 2024 before they are available - the adding of those 3 Top 10 Draft Picks will significantly improve the side.

By extension therefore, retain Billings (and Clark and Coffield)

And in regard 2020, the loss of Carlisle and Ryder (including from the side defeated by Richmond in that finals series) was detrimental to that side and the structure of that side, both then and continuing.

We still do not have the support for Marshall and Howard (noting the performances of the 193cm Battle plus that we have Ruck and KPP resources now developing at Sandringham)

takeaway
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 4:04pm Hotton will only have to be a middle of the road midfielder, who turns up consistently to be a better player than Billings in my opinion. Billings is the classic historical St Kilda player who looks good in a bad side and supporters cling to him because they have nothing else to be positive about. He is a below average player GOP who shirks more contests than he wins and chokes in big moments in games.

Picking Billings over Bontempelli will go down as bad a decision as McCartin over Petracca or Ball over Judd. Each one of those players have basically won flags for their respective clubs.
Nice, simple, generalised comment with the normal end line. Seeing Billings plays HF/Wing, not midfield, don't see your point. If and when Hotton plays a similar position, might be a chance to compare.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Think we may except late pick providing all his salary (Next 2 seasons)off our books

saint4life
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 4:04pm Hotton will only have to be a middle of the road midfielder, who turns up consistently to be a better player than Billings in my opinion. Billings is the classic historical St Kilda player who looks good in a bad side and supporters cling to him because they have nothing else to be positive about. He is a below average player GOP who shirks more contests than he wins and chokes in big moments in games.

Terrible character assassination of Billings and just not true. Anyone who steps on the ground as an AFL player is no
'shirker" or "choker". Billings has done nothing to deserve such offensive tags.

And how many times does it have to be said that none of the other 16 sides was considering the Bont as a top 10 draft pick FFS.

Talk about inventing an alternative reality. :roll: :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 4:23pm Can not resist this, so here goes.

It makes you wonder about who contributes to this site (and why you continue to contribute).

To quote myself "What we can do with the side which will be selected to play Sydney this week is add 3 Top 10 Draft Picks, which will significantly improve the side.

Spare me.

I would plead that by including that the addition of 3 Top 10 Draft Picks to the side to be announced today - even if is 2024 before they are available - the adding of those 3 Top 10 Draft Picks will significantly improve the side.

And in regard 2020, the loss of Carlisle and Ryder (including from the side defeated by Richmond in that finals series) was detrimental to that side and the structure of that side, both then and continuing.

We still do not have the support for Marshall and Howard (noting the performances of the 193cm Battle plus that we have Ruck and KPP resources now developing at Sandringham)
Well said. We are only 11 games into a new season and posers want to get rid of three of our better players, mainly because they have suffered injuries and can't get onto the park. You would get SFA for them anyway. Better to persevere with them imhfo.
Last edited by saynta on Wed 07 Jun 2023 5:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint2
Club Player

JB like every other player will be wanting desperately to play in the seniors, and is probably trying as hard as anyone else, but some injuries are just hard to come back from and take time. If he was fully fit and match ready, he would be in the seniors now.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 4:23pm Can not resist this, so here goes.

Spare me.

Well done Killa, thanks for your answer. Wasn't too hard was it? I actually think we have no choice but to keep him, something I am fine with by the way. That said, no tears if we lost him and are able to generate a DP and some salary cap space to assist in engineering the bringing of a FA or RFA - the list needs a rejuvenation in the 25 to 30 year tier.

That, of course, is in my opinion, if that's OK with you Killa?

Apologies if your ego was dented by me asking for clarity. Hard to believe you were offended so easily but thanks for taking the time to contribute to the forum, it was illuminating. You usually post some pretty good stuff on football & cricket.

Enjoy the cricket tonight.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yep and yep
Coach killers!

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not sure how Billings has been voted in the best 3 players on the ground 14 times in an AFL game

Considering he’s no good?!

Why Bontempelli? Why not say Cripps or Sicily?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 10:01pm Not sure how Billings has been voted in the best 3 players on the ground 14 times in an AFL game

Considering he’s no good?!

Why Bontempelli? Why not say Cripps or Sicily?
He is a tease BM. A skilful footballer. One great game every 10 coupled with the fact that he has been dropped 2 times in his career, so he played through bad form and injury and he has never played more than 15 in a row. Good footballer, but seems injury prone and has lost ground, trying to stop injuries for 2 years.
I'm ok with letting him heal, but he has some work to do in the sidelines without jabs and without a free pass to play injured.

Laurie
Club Player

What future
Stop dreaming
BOOM Boom

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Hey guys, give the poor guy a break FFS. He has been trying to get back on the field and all the s*** heaped on him here is f****** outrageous.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 08 Jun 2023 6:43pm Hey guys, give the poor guy a break FFS. He has been trying to get back on the field and all the s*** heaped on him here is f****** outrageous.
Our version of Salem witch trials.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 08 Jun 2023 6:54pm
saynta wrote: Thu 08 Jun 2023 6:43pm Hey guys, give the poor guy a break FFS. He has been trying to get back on the field and all the s*** heaped on him here is f****** outrageous.
Our version of Salem witch trials.
Yep. Some posters who probably never ever got on a footy field other than as a f****** spectator always have to have a whipping boy to make them feel better about themselves.

Pathetic really. :roll:

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

People just post what they believe, others respond and want to draw it out. Billings track record with injury is what it is.
What's said here has no impact at all, unless you make a big deal about someones opinion about his injury problem when its brought up.

First the say he is not injury prone.
Then they say injuries happen.
Then they say, but he's a good player
Then they say other players had injuries blah blah blah.
But now, after weeks of speculation, it obvious, that unless he is fit and firing, he won't be playing.
It need also be recognised that his injury concerns are becoming chronic.
No one is picking on him.
RTB doesn't hate him and he still has a contract but should not under any circumstances when the are both fit, should he be played before Phillipou.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 08 Jun 2023 8:01pm People just post what they believe, others respond and want to draw it out. Billings track record with injury is what it is.
What's said here has no impact at all, unless you make a big deal about someones opinion about his injury problem when its brought up.

First the say he is not injury prone.
Then they say injuries happen.
Then they say, but he's a good player
Then they say other players had injuries blah blah blah.
But now, after weeks of speculation, it obvious, that unless he is fit and firing, he won't be playing.
It need also be recognised that his injury concerns are becoming chronic.
No one is picking on him.
RTB doesn't hate him and he still has a contract but should not under any circumstances when the are both fit, should he be played before Phillipou.
What I said.