Ross Lyon is a God

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon is a God

The_Dud wrote: Sun 23 Apr 2023 8:17pm
B.M wrote: Sun 23 Apr 2023 8:15pm Everton

Are you saying we don’t have good players?

Agreed, our system is very good but it was tested today in the first half - poor kicking from the blues helped us?

I think our coaching group is very good

I also think
Marshall, Steele, Ross, Sinclair, Wilkie, Crouch etc
Are an experienced core group with plenty of ability
Swap coaches boxes, who do u think wins?
Still saints

Sanctorum
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 23 Apr 2023 8:19pm My only criticism is that don’t think they’ve nailed the sub that well as yet and it’s frustrating watching Bytel and Windy to a lesser degree not get enough game time.

Bytel should have played ahead of Steele today IMO and I’m still not thrilled that Cordy is a lock the way he is.

Am not completely sold on this let the opposition backs get heaps of ball approach. Working so far but I’m not sold completely

All minor stuff… certainly happy overall but I’m keeping an eye on it
I'm not sure what you're alluding to skeptic when you say "they’ve (not) nailed the sub that well as yet" - your frustration that when Bytel and Windhager are subs means they don't get enough game time is more a case of both these players not being selected in the 22 on game day, because subs are always going to come on late in case a player is injured.

I was a little surprised that they brought Jack Steele back so soon, and yes, he did not have a great game. But I also understand that as captain Steele is a talisman for the playing group which is the reason he was selected.

Competition for running mids is extremely hot right now with Byrnes in particular playing superbly, and running players such as Crouch, Ross, Sinclair, Hill, Clark, Gresham, Butler and Higgins proving to be a very strong unit. As much as I agree that Windhager and Bytel are worthy replacements, when the team is playing good footy and winning, they unfortunately miss out.

As your nick implies, you remain sceptical and yet to be totally convinced that Ross Lyon is going to lead our team to the Promised Land.

The thing that a lot of staunch Saints supporters, who were disgusted with Ratten's sacking and being replaced by that villain Ross "Lyin" Lyon, fail to acknowledge is that he is nothing like the previous version from 2007-2011.

It may be a bitter pill to swallow, but it surely is hard to deny that the 2023 coaching panel he leads has transformed the team - Lyon has heaped praise on his three assistants over and over again for the way they have prepared the players for their success this year.

He stated right from the start that he is much wiser now and far more collegiate in his leadership role. What more can he be expected to do??

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 1:56pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 23 Apr 2023 8:19pm My only criticism is that don’t think they’ve nailed the sub that well as yet and it’s frustrating watching Bytel and Windy to a lesser degree not get enough game time.

Bytel should have played ahead of Steele today IMO and I’m still not thrilled that Cordy is a lock the way he is.

Am not completely sold on this let the opposition backs get heaps of ball approach. Working so far but I’m not sold completely

All minor stuff… certainly happy overall but I’m keeping an eye on it
I'm not sure what you're alluding to skeptic when you say "they’ve (not) nailed the sub that well as yet" - your frustration that when Bytel and Windhager are subs means they don't get enough game time is more a case of both these players not being selected in the 22 on game day, because subs are always going to come on late in case a player is injured.

I was a little surprised that they brought Jack Steele back so soon, and yes, he did not have a great game. But I also understand that as captain Steele is a talisman for the playing group which is the reason he was selected.

Competition for running mids is extremely hot right now with Byrnes in particular playing superbly, and running players such as Crouch, Ross, Sinclair, Hill, Clark, Gresham, Butler and Higgins proving to be a very strong unit. As much as I agree that Windhager and Bytel are worthy replacements, when the team is playing good footy and winning, they unfortunately miss out.

As your nick implies, you remain sceptical and yet to be totally convinced that Ross Lyon is going to lead our team to the Promised Land.

The thing that a lot of staunch Saints supporters, who were disgusted with Ratten's sacking and being replaced by that villain Ross "Lyin" Lyon, fail to acknowledge is that he is nothing like the previous version from 2007-2011.

It may be a bitter pill to swallow, but it surely is hard to deny that the 2023 coaching panel he leads has transformed the team - Lyon has heaped praise on his three assistants over and over again for the way they have prepared the players for their success this year.

He stated right from the start that he is much wiser now and far more collegiate in his leadership role. What more can he be expected to do??
I wasn’t too bothered by the sacking… I always felt lukewarm about Ratten at best and was more concerned with the club making themselves look stupid by signing then sacking him.

100% agree that he’s much improved from the original version and I’m comfortable enough with the job that he’s doing. The things I mentioned above were concerns I had back in the 07-11 era and in that respect I’m not 100% sure that he’s moved on from that type of thing… but there’s no rule that he has to or that it’s even really a problem. By all accounts he may just laugh at this and say it’s not even a problem (should he ever lower himself to read the opinion of a pleb like me).

End of the day… if he’s happy with something that I find concerning… well, he gets paid for those decisions and lives/dies by the results.

That’s just my own arm chair opinion on those matters.

Personally I think his structure and plan is currently better and I think he’s spreading the work better too which is a win as he’s chosen his assistants well.

His motivation/expectations of high performance/standards has always been beyond reproach IMO and it’s good to see it’s swept through the playing group who are looking the fittest and most well drilled we’ve seen in a decade.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I still think we shouldn't be treating the bloke like a messiah. It's a team effort and a whole of club effort

The assistant coaches deserve recognition and the collaboration between all elements of our football department have been fantastic.

The media (including The Mongrel Punt) want to sing the praises of just one bloke...That means they'll probably also be the first to turn on Ross if things start going sour

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2 ... moorabbin/

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 25 Apr 2023 5:18am I still think we shouldn't be treating the bloke like a messiah. It's a team effort and a whole of club effort

The assistant coaches deserve recognition and the collaboration between all elements of our football department have been fantastic.

The media (including The Mongrel Punt) want to sing the praises of just one bloke...That means they'll probably also be the first to turn on Ross if things start going sour

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2 ... moorabbin/
Lyon praises his assistants every presser
But it’s his show make no mistake
Good people learn and evolve
And all the wankers saying “he doesn’t care about kids” “he’s too defensive” “he can’t build a list…it has to be ready made..” blah blah blah
Eat crow

“Yeah….nah””