Junction Oval in funding crisis.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

happy feet
Club Player

Re: Junction Oval in funding crisis.

I was only a teenager at the time, but I have a recollection of many players not being paid and the club owed them some serious $$. I think Barry Breen was one of them and these players either wrote off the debt or accepted a minuscule sum as full payment.

Anyone remember this?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sat 13 Nov 2021 5:15pm I was only a teenager at the time, but I have a recollection of many players not being paid and the club owed them some serious $$. I think Barry Breen was one of them and these players either wrote off the debt or accepted a minuscule sum as full payment.

Anyone remember this?
Yep, and Barks gave them a car he had won to raffle. That prick Fox was behind paying the players about 5 cents in the dollar.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 15 Nov 2021 4:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Wed 10 Nov 2021 7:40pm
That is exactly the same article you posted in the OP, it’s from may 2020. The one I posted is from September this year and gives more up to date info about their finances. Again, if crowds don’t matter due to tv rights, why would the AFL spend money on a ground (as they make the fixturing decisions) when they have a ground at the docklands that was built for tv?

I suspect that question won’t be answered, as I have asked it many times in this and similar threads. You have your hopeful opinion on why this can happen which I don’t agree with, so I won’t ask again. I hope I am wrong and magically money, logistics and AFL policy don’t matter and you get your wish. I do say again though, getting a small crowd in ballarat is a very different proposition to a small crowd in Melbourne. We are in big trouble if we have a crowd of 7k in Melbourne.

Amusinggame

I will attempt to address that/these things...
They will not change the fundamental issue however...
St Kilda needs to be in St Kilda....and if that is just two games a year..so be it.

For the sake of a civil argument - and an honest one.

I read the Cricket Vic annual report...it is a glistening propaganda piece..as they mostly are..
Nio doubt they are sting from the scathing piece in 2020 by ESPN that shows them in trouble and especially their JO venture.
Now lets not forget that in 2014, CV were ready to go all the way with the AFL and have St Kidla there...
They had 'no trouble' co-hosting...
Suddenly, they are cricket exclusive (and it is costing them big time)
No doubt they have some big guns though...cricket is afterall..the 'establishment' sport number one...and footy is still for bogans to keep off the streets.

(Calm down all annoyed folks..)

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/sai ... 09xvs.html
https://www.cricket.com.au/news/junctio ... 2014-08-30
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/cr ... zqt17.html

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
amusingname
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 15 Nov 2021 11:39am
That is exactly the same article you posted in the OP, it’s from may 2020. The one I posted is from September this year and gives more up to date info about their finances. Again, if crowds don’t matter due to tv rights, why would the AFL spend money on a ground (as they make the fixturing decisions) when they have a ground at the docklands that was built for tv?

I suspect that question won’t be answered, as I have asked it many times in this and similar threads. You have your hopeful opinion on why this can happen which I don’t agree with, so I won’t ask again. I hope I am wrong and magically money, logistics and AFL policy don’t matter and you get your wish. I do say again though, getting a small crowd in ballarat is a very different proposition to a small crowd in Melbourne. We are in big trouble if we have a crowd of 7k in Melbourne.

Amusinggame

St Kilda needs to be in St Kilda....and if that is just two games a year..so be it.

I read the Cricket Vic annual report...it is a glistening propaganda piece..as they mostly are..
Nio doubt they are sting from the scathing piece in 2020 by ESPN that shows them in trouble and especially their JO venture.
Now lets not forget that in 2014, CV were ready to go all the way with the AFL and have St Kidla there...
No doubt they have some big guns though...cricket is afterall..the 'establishment' sport number one...and footy is still for bogans to keep off the streets.

In 2014 when it was proposed that we move to the junction it was always in a training and base capacity, using it for an actual AFL regular season fixture has never been considered a possibility. Why? Because the AFL have expressly stated they have no need for a 3rd Melbourne venue! This talk of playing a home game anywhere but marvel or the MCG in Melbourne is not realistic at this time and not likely for a long time, there simply isn’t an appetite from the controlling body. All the talk of it being feasible because of how iconic the suburb of st Kilda and how many tourists go there doesn’t matter if the organisation who fixtures the games doesn’t want to schedule something there!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Mon 15 Nov 2021 2:35pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 15 Nov 2021 11:39am

Amusinggame

In 2014 when it was proposed that we move to the junction it was always in a training and base capacity, using it for an actual AFL regular season fixture has never been considered a possibility. Why? Because the AFL have expressly stated they have no need for a 3rd Melbourne venue! This talk of playing a home game anywhere but marvel or the MCG in Melbourne is not realistic at this time and not likely for a long time, there simply isn’t an appetite from the controlling body. All the talk of it being feasible because of how iconic the suburb of st Kilda and how many tourists go there doesn’t matter if the organisation who fixtures the games doesn’t want to schedule something there!
Ok..let's look at the points one by one...
Yes. training base, not fixture..in 2014..Agree

I don't see it being a bad thing that it is only training there. It must be something..Once, the tide turned to Moorabbin again, I supposed that the best thing might be one gane a year...St Kilda vs Brisbane ..Brisbane being the Lions etc.,

AFL will say thuis and that a various times and they will change their minds too. Will Marvell even survive? They built VFL PArk chiefly to have their own ground, and they wanted it in a location that followed geographic/demographics trends. They gave it all up and sold it.
AFL have of course played games for premiership points in New Zealand, China, Ballarrat, Canberra, Cairns, Hobart, Launceston etc., I don't see their word as set in stone..
Whether it is feasible is not a matter of something already determined. In fact the deterministic rationale of some of the arguments used here to pooh-pooh JO are really limited but none the less can be used as political fodder - hence the need to keep pressing the truth! (examples, JO is a 'cricket ground', its a dump, I don't like the JO, I don't care, small crowds, etc.)

Anyway, the AFL are pouring squillions of dollars into trying top establish footy on the Gold Coast while TAssie still has no teams...and I do believe there will be a point where a return to the roots movement will gather momentum. But that is subjective of course, on my part.

The AFL doesn't always get it's way either...

On to Cricket Victoria
It seems to me, they are so weak and pathetic, they were bullied off the MCG. They were even bullied out of Victoria! All because of big football interests at the MCG. Read Collingwood and Eddie McGuire when he was still a high flyer pre-King Kong etc.
They want some dignity back...and plaudits for their efforts at JO. I think Shane Warne may have had some clout there too, but I really don't now.
I am sticking with my claim...St Kilda needs a presence in St Kilda...and the JO is the best spot for it...
If St Kilda's traders, festivals and arts organizations, the council, the State Gov get behind it...somehow, we might be able to do something..a women's game perhaps.

I think St Kilda needs to do this to survive long term. Unless a move to Tassie has already secretly condemmed it...and even then, even if we did re-locate to Tassie, a game at the JO would be good.

For the time being, being back at Moorabbin is a sideways step, but hellava lot better than the Seaford set-up.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The Seaford training set up was a huge upgrade on the dump that was Moorabbin at that time.

The Moorabbin facility was a huge embarrassment for an AFL club but well done to the club for finding a way to rejuvenate the Moorabbin training complex.

A place where they are still doing upgrades. Amazing how they keep getting vast sums of money to keep on improving the place.

What has happened with the Seaford facility, does anyone use it ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Wed 17 Nov 2021 4:43pm The Seaford training set up was a huge upgrade on the dump that was Moorabbin at that time.

The Moorabbin facility was a huge embarrassment for an AFL club but well done to the club for finding a way to rejuvenate the Moorabbin training complex.

A place where they are still doing upgrades. Amazing how they keep getting vast sums of money to keep on improving the place.

What has happened with the Seaford facility, does anyone use it ?
Frankston City Council (or what ever it is called down there) tipped 20 mil into it too....
Easy come, easy go...

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

C'mon Shane. Take your pills and off to bed.

Saint supporter since '62
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 17 Nov 2021 8:53pm C'mon Shane. Take your pills and off to bed.
I sold 'em.

Outside Seaford station.

The buyers looked pretty sketchy, to be honest.

Asked him where takes them.

said he sells 'em, guess where...?

....up the bush!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 17 Nov 2021 9:04pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Wed 17 Nov 2021 8:53pm C'mon Shane. Take your pills and off to bed.
I sold 'em.

Outside Seaford station.

The buyers looked pretty sketchy, to be honest.

Asked him where takes them.

said he sells 'em, guess where...?

....up the bush!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Case closed Shane. Who would honestly respect the opinion of a self-confessed drug dealer?

Saint supporter since '62
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The JO will be the GO

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Cmon Firey cough it up ...... thats twice now

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 18 Nov 2021 7:25pm Cmon Firey cough it up ...... thats twice now
slightly different