Nicky Winmar suing Sam Newman and co-hosts for attempt to revise historical moment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nicky Winmar suing Sam Newman and co-hosts for attempt to revise historical moment

We have Saintsationals version of Salem going on here.

God forbid you have opinion that is non conformist or you'll be burnt at the stake for witchcraft (though I do think hanging was actually the preferred punishment of the day).

From what I can work out this forum is largely populated by middle aged white males, a pretty shallow pool when deciding on what rates as witchcraft in my humble opinion.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
BarryGrogan
Club Player

Re: Nicky Winmar suing Sam Newman and co-hosts for attempt to revise historical moment

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 8:43pm We have Saintsationals version of Salem going on here.

God forbid you have opinion that is non conformist or you'll be burnt at the stake for witchcraft (though I do think hanging was actually the preferred punishment of the day).
As a 35yo white male, I'm in no position to make the rules on what's racist or not.

And I'm clearly in no position to speak of behalf of any person of color when it comes to racism.

But....my position on the subject is pretty much summed up in your post.

Imagine being 'burnt at the stake' for the past couple of hundred years because of the color of your skin. Not because of an opinion or political view you choose to have, and choose to share - but simply because of the color of your skin.

Even though I'm probably a hypocrite in many ways - I cant help but empathise with minority groups.

I can't however empathise with people having a sook about people challenging them on their views. There's nothing wrong with having opinions, and nothing wrong with expressing them. But expecting a green light to say whatever you want without copping any heat for it is just f****** pathetic.

Shaggy
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 8:43pm We have Saintsationals version of Salem going on here.

Opinions are great.

But when opinions are wrong we should own up to it rather than fight the good fight.

Nicky is the only person who knows so there is nothing to debate.

Witchcraft does not come into it so long as you respect others feelings regardless of whether you understand them.

mcadam05
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 8:11pm
mcadam05 wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 6:58pm
terry smith rules wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 9:47am
mcadam05 wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 12:41am I have a Question whos paying for the lawyer's ?? Being in BLM they couldnt give a toss about black people all they care how much coin they can get out of Gulity white folk , im not saying its Nicky but theres someone in his ear

How dare you call yourself after a great indigenous player and then come on here questioning Nicky’s truth and motives.
So him being on the front page of the paper in a George Floyd tee shirt was his idea? , maybe it was but I somehow doubt it . As for my nick name on here I picked that because he was my favourite player and not for the colour of his skin but because he was a bloody good player and I loved watching him play
Maybe as this is a footy forum we should remember judge players on they skills and not on anything else
I wonder how many of you have listen too the podcast because what I heard was 3 people taking about something that happened 27yrs ago and they gave there opinons on how they saw what happened that day now right or wrong its a opinon and everyone in this Country is free too give one.
Ironically the only thing the wanksrs in that Podcast cared about was how much they could leverage off Nicky's legacy. Does that disturb you? Or are you only troubled by Nicky leveraging off his own legacy?

And as you rightly point out, everyone in this country is free to give thier opinion and my opinion is you have missed an opportunity to stand up to racism.

And it wasn't just plain ole rasism, it was cash for racism.
I think your right those behind him wearing the tee shirt those paying for the lawyers , sadly are using him too cash in treating Nicky as just a pawn and its disguising. You see " cash for racism" works for both sides

mcadam05
Club Player

Shaggy wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:14pm

Opinions are great.

But when opinions are wrong we should own up to it rather than fight the good fight.

Witchcraft does not come into it so long as you respect others feelings regardless of whether you understand them.
2 + 2 =

Secret Kiel
Club Player

mcadam05 wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:14pm
mcadam05 wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 12:41am I have a Question whos paying for the lawyer's ?? Being in BLM they couldnt give a toss about black people all they care how much coin they can get out of Gulity white folk , im not saying its Nicky but theres someone in his ear

How dare you call yourself after a great indigenous player and then come on here questioning Nicky’s truth and motives.
So him being on the front page of the paper in a George Floyd tee shirt was his idea? , maybe it was but I somehow doubt it . As for my nick name on here I picked that because he was my favourite player and not for the colour of his skin but because he was a bloody good player and I loved watching him play
Maybe as this is a footy forum we should remember judge players on they skills and not on anything else
I wonder how many of you have listen too the podcast because what I heard was 3 people taking about something that happened 27yrs ago and they gave there opinons on how they saw what happened that day now right or wrong its a opinon and everyone in this Country is free too give one.
Ironically the only thing the wanksrs in that Podcast cared about was how much they could leverage off Nicky's legacy. Does that disturb you? Or are you only troubled by Nicky leveraging off his own legacy?

And as you rightly point out, everyone in this country is free to give thier opinion and my opinion is you have missed an opportunity to stand up to racism.

I think your right those behind him wearing the tee shirt those paying for the lawyers , sadly are using him too cash in treating Nicky as just a pawn and its disguising. You see " cash for racism" works for both sides
When was the last time you made a stand against racism.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Opinions are great.

Each member has their right to an opinion, but this right does not increase the validity of the opinion.

Can an opinion be wrong? I'd answer no as the individuals belief and reality is their opinion whether based on fact or hearsay, but stand to be corrected by the more knowledgeable.

In this instance there appears to be a witch hunt with the witchcraft word being thrown either directly or implied at anyone who is not following the forum adulating majority.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
BarryGrogan
Club Player

I don't understand your point.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:23pm

Opinions are great.

Each member has their right to an opinion, but this right does not increase the validity of the opinion.

Can an opinion be wrong? I'd answer no as the individuals belief and reality is their opinion whether based on fact or hearsay, but stand to be corrected by the more knowledgeable.

In this instance there appears to be a witch hunt with the witchcraft word being thrown either directly or implied at anyone who is not following the forum adulating majority.
Do you stand against racism, if so when was the last time out of curiosity.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Should do a poll. I don't reckon it's a majority.

Maybe you're just a wuss that isn't used to people disagreeing with you?

mcadam05
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:23pm

Lol what , so if I have a opinon about someone else having a opinon now I have too defend myself am I a racist?? Lol welcome too 2020

The Peanut
Club Player

Mike Sheahan quits podcast and apologises to Nicky Winmar

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... 6ce7be656f

Angry, hurt phone calls from Swans stars Adam Goodes and Michael O’Loughlin convinced commentator Mike Sheahan to apologise for questioning Nicky Winmar’s motivations during his iconic “I’m black and I’m proud” moment as another witness came forward to back the long-accepted account of the incident.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:37pm

Opinions are great.

What does stand mean in your interpretation?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

mcadam05 wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:40pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:23pm

Lol what , so if I have a opinon about someone else having a opinon now I have too defend myself am I a racist?? Lol welcome too 2020
Why so defensive, just a simple question, sought of like asking someone if they stand against violence towards women. Both questions should be very easy to answer without deflection or being defensive.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:38pm

That doesn't even make sense!
Time for some more extremism I think Barry

Wuss? What are you 5 years old? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh no, you were 5 when you took a stand against racism weren't you.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:45pm

Opinions are great.

So for example, if you are with friends and they are being racist, what is your reaction.

Another example, if you are with your friends and they are making rape jokes, what is your reaction.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:43pm Mike Sheahan quits podcast and apologises to Nicky Winmar

Angry, hurt phone calls from Swans stars Adam Goodes and Michael O’Loughlin convinced commentator Mike Sheahan to apologise for questioning Nicky Winmar’s motivations during his iconic “I’m black and I’m proud” moment as another witness came forward to back the long-accepted account of the incident.
Well done Mike Sheahan!

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:51pm
The Peanut wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:43pm Mike Sheahan quits podcast and apologises to Nicky Winmar

Well done Mike Sheahan!
He was being questioned by people close to him about being involved with Newman long before this event.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:51pm

Opinions are great.

So for example, if you are with friends and they are being racist, what is your reaction.

Another example, if you are with your friends and they are making rape jokes, what is your reaction.
That is a very bizarre thing to write in my opinion.

I cannot recall a single time I have been with friends or colleagues who have made a rape joke or made racist comments in the last 20 years.

That being said, I do not attend anti racism rallies, I do not support the BLM movement.
I personally think all lives matter.

I employ a very multicultural workforce and treat all of them with dignity and respect.

Is there a race of people I am concerned with in this country? Yes!
Does that make me racist? Perhaps but you do not know a persons reality until you have walked in their shoes.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:06pm

Opinions are great.

I cannot recall a single time I have been with friends or colleagues who have made a rape joke or made racist comments in the last 20 years.

That being said, I do not attend anti racism rallies, I do not support the BLM movement.

I employ a very multicultural workforce and treat all of them with dignity and respect.

Does that make me racist? Perhaps but you do not know a persons reality until you have walked in their shoes.
Ok so it's a hypothetical then, how would you react if a friend made a racist or rape joke.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:48pm

Welcome to 2020. I cant even use the word 'wuss' wothout being ridiculed and attacked for it.

Sad state of affairs.

And I don't recall making a stand against racism as a 5yo. Not sure where you got that from.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:10pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:06pm

Opinions are great.

Ok so it's a hypothetical then, how would you react if a friend made a racist or rape joke.
I won't answer the rape joke, as I could never imagine a situation with anyone I am associated who would make a rape joke. I could not even think of a joke that would involve rape.

In regard to a racist joke, my reaction would be dependent upon the company and the location.
Would I call this hypothetical person out in front of a group and admonish them?
Honestly, no I would not. I'd may have a quiet word one on one later but most likely I'd ignore it altogether.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:11pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:48pm

Welcome to 2020. I cant even use the word 'wuss' wothout being ridiculed and attacked for it.

Sad state of affairs.

And I don't recall making a stand against racism as a 5yo. Not sure where you got that from.
You are such an extremist Barry, ridiculed and attacked?
Are you for real?

I wrote...wuss? What are you 5 years old?
In what universe does that comment = ridicule and being attacked?

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:24pm
I wrote...wuss? What are you 5 years old?
In what universe does that comment = ridicule and being attacked?
The same universe where the term 'witch hunt' is used to describe people being asked to justify their opinions I guess.

Considering the witch hunts involved burning human beings, I reckon there's a case to suggest that it's a bit extreme to roll with that terminology.

Shaggy
Club Player

mcadam05 wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:17pm

Opinions are great.

2 + 2 =

I am glad you have worked out that Nicky is the answer, rather than what you may think he may think.