Sam Rowe might be on the cards

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: Sam Rowe might be on the cards

Scollop wrote: ↑Tue 19 Mar 2019 10:07am stonecold,

You mentioned 4 blokes. Bet you they themselves would say they'd be ready. Bet you Brandon White and a few others who are regularly playing for Sandringham would love more opportunities.

Marsh was a good recruitment decision and hopefully he has a long career with us. I love what he brings because he is not just a stopper. One thing that is lost on some is that the game has changed and long gone are the days of a powerful stay at home stodgy Full Forward. They are useless against a mobile forward like Jack Roo or Darling or Gunston or Buddy. I'd rather we give games to our younger blokes rather than play Rowe in the seniors
No body has stated that Rowe will play all year in the Snrs, he is there in case Battle, Austin, Clavarino, Joyce etc physically get worn down, which they will ( given they are taller younger bodies), if you can't understand that, maybe your following the wrong sport!!!!!

Younger, bigger guys take a long time to get their bodies matched hardened enough for the contest of AFL football week in week out, Paul Roo's stated the same thing last night when talking about Ben King, there are exceptions to the rule, but not many!!!!!

Your entitled to your opinion, I just don't agree on this occasion, bigger guys take longer, it's a commonly known fact!!!!!

Rowe might not play any games, however he is on the list as insurance, who would have you recruited?????

By the way, the new rules will change the game and there will be more one-on-one contests forward of the ball, hence, the power forward coming back to a degree!!!!!

Each to their own, you never have agreed with me on anything, so I don't expect you to start now and that's fine by me!!!!!

Anyway, enjoy supporting the Saints, maybe support a little more and run down a little less, the club could use more genuine supporters!!!!!
Last edited by stonecold on Tue 19 Mar 2019 12:29pm, edited 2 times in total.

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: ↑Tue 19 Mar 2019 10:14am What is it with this fascination regarding their weight? What did Matty Scarlett weigh? What did Andrew Mackie weigh?

There's a guy called Dylan Grimes who goes alright. What's his playing weight again?
Yeah, Max Hudghton was the best full-back I've seen at St Kilda, and he was 191cm and 93kg at the end of his career. Probably played the first half of it about 86-87kg.

Anyway, the club has made their decision. I don't agree with it; probably because I think we could have tried somebody who could have given us prolonged service. Rowe may be the the better option for a few months in 2019, but that just seems like a shockingly short-term view when you've got a free swing at adding an extra player to the list.

I think any of Keital or Talia would have been a decent choice - both for long term and insurance. I wouldn't have minded us taking on Kieran Collins (Pick 26, 2015) who was a beast of a full-back in TAC U/18 but needed to get a bit sharper with his fitness. Surprisingly overlooked as a rookie, if he has a good VFL season with the Bullants, he should get taken in the mid-year draft. My personal belief is that defenders don't truly mature until they're at least 23 in any event.

I guess I didn't see it as a "insurance only" or "long-term only" choice. And I repeat: we're not in the hunt for the finals, so let's build for when we actually might be.

Anyway, we'll see who was right in a few years. Maybe Sam will have an outstanding year. Let's hope he does.
Last edited by evertonfc on Tue 19 Mar 2019 12:33pm, edited 3 times in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: ↑Tue 19 Mar 2019 10:44am
Scollop wrote: ↑Tue 19 Mar 2019 10:14am What is it with this fascination regarding their weight? What did Matty Scarlett weigh? What did Andrew Mackie weigh?

There's a guy called Dylan Grimes who goes alright. What's his playing weight again?
And height. Scarlett was a great player who also had Lonergan & Taylor alongside him to take the big boys/ruckmen if needed. Mackie & Grimes were not really played as KPD (Mackie was on the wing a lot), Grimes had Rance & Astbury. They are more like Austin, White, etc
Different beasts in many ways. Rowe is a reserve KPD, and I am glad we have one. Anyway, each to their own views.
Grimes has no problem playing on KP Forwards. He played his junior footy as a Full Back and he has flourished and made a name for himself as one of the best one on one defenders in the league. He has based his game on one of the league's best undersized defenders... who also regularly plays on KP Forwards...Dane Rampe

Both clubs have moved with the times and have a more mobile defense

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: ↑Tue 19 Mar 2019 12:17pm

You mentioned 4 blokes. Bet you they themselves would say they'd be ready. Bet you Brandon White and a few others who are regularly playing for Sandringham would love more opportunities.

Marsh was a good recruitment decision and hopefully he has a long career with us. I love what he brings because he is not just a stopper. One thing that is lost on some is that the game has changed and long gone are the days of a powerful stay at home stodgy Full Forward. They are useless against a mobile forward like Jack Roo or Darling or Gunston or Buddy. I'd rather we give games to our younger blokes rather than play Rowe in the seniors
No body has stated that Rowe will play all year in the Snrs, he is there in case Battle, Austin, Clavarino etc physically get worn down, which they will ( given they are taller younger bodies), if you can't understand that, maybe your following the wrong sport!!!!!

Younger, bigger guys take a long time to get their bodies matched hardened enough for the contest of AFL football week in week out, Paul Roo's stated the same thing last night when talking about Ben King, there are exceptions to the rule, but not many!!!!!

Your entitled to your opinion, I just don't agree on this occasion, bigger guys take longer, it's a commonly known fact!!!!!

Rowe might not play any games, however he is on the list as insurance, who would have you recruited?????

By the way, the new rules will change the game and there will be more one-on-one contests forward of the ball, hence, the power forward coming back to a degree!!!!!

Each to their own, you never have agreed with me on anything, so I don't expect you to start now and that's fine by me!!!!!

Anyway, enjoy supporting the Saints, maybe support a little more and run down a little less, the club could use more genuine supporters!!!!!
What's your definition of genuine? Anyway...don't worry. Each to their own as you say.

I'll be genuinely pleased if Coffield and White and Joyce and Austin are in the team and genuinely pleased to see their growth and development. I am genuinely concerned that Richo and a few others are more worried about their own careers than those of their younger players

Who would I have gone with? See the post from evertonfc. He has summarised some very good options and the fact that we are not really ready to be contenders is the most puzzling for me as well and doesn't make any sense with going for a short term option like Rowe

stonecold
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: ↑Tue 19 Mar 2019 12:30pm
stonecold wrote: ↑Tue 19 Mar 2019 12:17pm

No body has stated that Rowe will play all year in the Snrs, he is there in case Battle, Austin, Clavarino etc physically get worn down, which they will ( given they are taller younger bodies), if you can't understand that, maybe your following the wrong sport!!!!!

What's your definition of genuine? Anyway...don't worry. Each to their own as you say.

I'll be genuinely pleased if Coffield and White and Joyce and Austin are in the team and genuinely pleased to see their growth and development. I am genuinely concerned that Richo and a few others are more worried about their own careers than those of their younger players
That's the way you see it, that's your call!!!!!

I'd like to see them given the opportunity to develop as well, IMO ( and the powers that be), that will be done through a combination of both AFL and VFL games, with genuine support and back up needed in defence!!!!!

Thus the Short-term recruitments of both Marsh and Rowe!!!!!

All the best with the genuine/unique support you are providing to all @ St.Kilda FC!!!!!

I'm sure your support is genuinely appreciated!!!!! ;)

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

What a croc. We've bought in an experienced defender because it will help with the development of our other defenders. Good one

Perhaps someone holding their hand is going to help their development, but I think you're wrong. Especially when Richo will be depriving them of senior games and playing Rowe instead

Unless Rowe is also going to be a defacto Full Back or Centre Half Back coaching guru than it is a flawed decision. Similar to the other flawed decisions that they keep making like the Hannabery decision which was somehow painted as decesion based on 'more' than just what he offers as a player.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Stop with the banter, it's not allowed, clearly you lack education on the matter, full stop!!!!!

Let's not turn this into an ongoing dispute!!!!!

I really doubt your even a supporter of St.Kilda FC!!!!!

All you seem to do is run down the club and the decisions made by people more qualified than yourself, sad really, no more oxygen for you!!!!!

<one day ban for baiting by falsely accusing a poster of not being a supporter>

saynta
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: ↑Tue 19 Mar 2019 12:20pm

Yeah, Max Hudghton was the best full-back I've seen at St Kilda, and he was 191cm and 93kg at the end of his career. Probably played the first half of it about 86-87kg.

Anyway, the club has made their decision. I don't agree with it; probably because I think we could have tried somebody who could have given us prolonged service. Rowe may be the the better option for a few months in 2019, but that just seems like a shockingly short-term view when you've got a free swing at adding an extra player to the list.

I think any of Keital or Talia would have been a decent choice - both for long term and insurance. I wouldn't have minded us taking on Kieran Collins (Pick 26, 2015) who was a beast of a full-back in TAC U/18 but needed to get a bit sharper with his fitness. Surprisingly overlooked as a rookie, if he has a good VFL season with the Bullants, he should get taken in the mid-year draft. My personal belief is that defenders don't truly mature until they're at least 23 in any event.

I guess I didn't see it as a "insurance only" or "long-term only" choice. And I repeat: we're not in the hunt for the finals, so let's build for when we actually might be.

Anyway, we'll see who was right in a few years. Maybe Sam will have an outstanding year. Let's hope he does.

Trevor Barker, Bob Murray and Verdun Howell were easily the best three full backs I have seen and they would all be wingman sized in today's game.

Spud went okay but he was a giant compared to the other three.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: ↑Tue 19 Mar 2019 1:02pm What a croc. We've bought in an experienced defender because it will help with the development of our other defenders. Good one

Perhaps someone holding their hand is going to help their development, but I think you're wrong. Especially when Richo will be depriving them of senior games and playing Rowe instead

Unless Rowe is also going to be a defacto Full Back or Centre Half Back coaching guru than it is a flawed decision. Similar to the other flawed decisions that they keep making like the Hannabery decision which was somehow painted as decesion based on 'more' than just what he offers as a player.
Agree Scollop, there is precedence (last season) supporting the assumption Richo prefers senior aged players over developing younger players, regardless of how they perform and how poorly the club was performing on field.

An example was playing Longer & Hickey while the club was getting smashed and both were plain average denying opportunity to Marshall & Pierce.

I'm concerned Rich will auto default to Rowe & Brown combo while young defenders don't get a run.
Let's hope we are both wrong.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational β€˜weak as piss brigade’ President.
To the top
SS Life Member

And whilst you are at it, get off the all knowing β€œStonecold’s” site, where if you disagree you are variously described as it described above

Anyone remember Hickey being a St Kilda player?

Watch the reaction

Should add some exclamation marks - except I subscribe to the view that the louder the voice the less the brains

Enjoy your social intercourse

stonecold
SS Life Member

And 'one time at Band Camp'!!!!!

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned but why didn’t we bring Gilbert back instead of Rowe?

stonecold
SS Life Member

Goose is king wrote: ↑Wed 20 Mar 2019 9:22am I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned but why didn’t we bring Gilbert back instead of Rowe?
Different type of player mate!!!!!

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote=stonecold post_id=1778260 time=1553034564 user_id=22479]
[quote="Goose is king" post_id=1778257 time=1553034165 user_id=17709]
I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned but why didn’t we bring Gilbert back instead of Rowe?
[/quote]

[/quote]

True. Didn’t realise Rowe was 198cm

guitars4
Club Player

stonecold wrote: ↑Wed 20 Mar 2019 9:29am
Goose is king wrote: ↑Wed 20 Mar 2019 9:22am I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned but why didn’t we bring Gilbert back instead of Rowe?
Might be a different type of player but same liability with disposal !!!!

GilsAuPair
Club Player

To the top wrote: ↑Sat 16 Mar 2019 1:33pm Did James Gallagher and Sam Rowe play together at Norwood in the SANFL?
YES

saynta
Saintsational Legend

GilsAuPair wrote: ↑Sat 23 Mar 2019 5:26am
To the top wrote: ↑Sat 16 Mar 2019 1:33pm Did James Gallagher and Sam Rowe play together at Norwood in the SANFL?
YES
And?

GilsAuPair
Club Player

Dont need Rowe.
Darragh Joyce is a gun!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

GilsAuPair wrote: ↑Sun 24 Mar 2019 1:34pm Dont need Rowe.
Darragh Joyce is a gun!
Rowe was signed up as back up only. May never get a game but will certainly strengthen Sandringham.

GilsAuPair
Club Player

saynta wrote: ↑Mon 25 Mar 2019 6:56pm
Darragh Joyce is a gun!
Rowe was signed up as back up only. May never get a game but will certainly strengthen Sandringham.
You realise he was just about to line up for East Doncaster?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

GilsAuPair wrote: ↑Mon 25 Mar 2019 7:11pm
Darragh Joyce is a gun!
Yep, of course. And they are now after 200,000 dollars compo.

GilsAuPair
Club Player

I think Rowe is just insurance.
Brown, Joyce, Battle and Wilkie all currently ahead of him.
Then we get Carlisle back.

GilsAuPair
Club Player

saynta wrote: ↑Mon 25 Mar 2019 7:28pm
GilsAuPair wrote: ↑Mon 25 Mar 2019 7:11pm
Darragh Joyce is a gun!
Yep, of course. And they are now after 200,000 dollars compo.
Seems a little steep.
Give em $2k and a couple of tubes of denco rub.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Rowe is not playing seniors unless we lose our entire backline. Seriously forum, he is just a last resort backup for the backups.

Funny story though. Apparently the club (Doncaster East) wants compo for losing him. Are they serious?

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
GilsAuPair
Club Player

We also have Austin.
A forgotten man it seems.