We are getting pick 4 or 5

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

David-Lee
Club Player

Re: We are getting pick 4 or 5

If there's a genius way to trade pick 3,4 or5 for pick 17- 20 plus a couple early second rounders I hope we do it. I see theres a few teams already taking trade and we know carlton would give up 1 for another good pick and AA like Kelly etc.

I dont think pick 3-5 has that power but looking at picks 1-10 honestly I haven't felt this giddy since 2001!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

We will finish second last. We will pick someone with one leg - and no hands - like our last No 1 pick.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Connor Rozee snagged 3 in the SANFL this weekend in a team that got smashed..

Continues his good SANFL form. Watch his highlights SA vs Vic Metro 2018.

Gun. And is a mid/fwd, rather than a hbf/mid

my assumption is that saints will have Walsh and Smith at top of their board...
But I would be very happy with any of Walsh, Smith, Rankine, Rozee

SuperDuper
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote: Sun 22 Jul 2018 3:38am Connor Rozee snagged 3 in the SANFL this weekend in a team that got smashed..

Continues his good SANFL form. Watch his highlights SA vs Vic Metro 2018.

Just looks agile, fast, great skills and could develop into a gun. And is a mid/fwd, rather than a hbf/mid

my assumption is that saints will have Walsh and Smith at top of their board...
But I would be very happy with any of Walsh, Smith, Rankine, Rozee

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Suns beat Swans at SCG comfortably, and Lions were very unlucky against the Crows, losing by a few points.
We haven't done either of those things for years and years.
They should both finish above us. Remember they play each other, and Carlton, plus they do hold a home state advantage when they get to play at home, particularly in the case of the Suns, whose performance this year has been exaggerated by them not getting a home game for the first 12 rounds.
The 'Dogs on the other hand are get-able. Probably depends on us sustaining any injuries on Saturday of course, but should we beat them then I think they will finish 17th and us 16th, obviously if the result is reversed so will our ladder position. If we get Long back by then, I am sure he will turn on a clinic against his old side.
By the way, I'll weigh in, I want Rankine.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
jaxons
Club Player

We will take Bailey Smith this year.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

jaxons wrote: Thu 26 Jul 2018 10:55pm We will take Bailey Smith this year.
Smith is a quality midfield bull but on the inside. We have enough inside mids so I would prefer others, Rankine, Walsh ideally but knowing us we will get one of the King brothers

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Surely we will get a replacement head of recruitment before locking in on our first pick?

Most of the people currently running the club won't even be there next year if we're serious.

chico2001
Club Player

dragit wrote: Thu 26 Jul 2018 11:37pm
Surely we will get a replacement head of recruitment before locking in on our first pick?

Most of the people currently running the club won't even be there next year if we're serious.
Apparently that is what lethlean was hired to do. So once he sacks everyone who is going to handle the recruiting and pull us out of the shite?

ace
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Sat 21 Jul 2018 11:24pm We will finish second last. We will pick someone with one leg - and no hands - like our last No 1 pick.
The AFL has a need to show itself to be inclusive.
It's a leftist political correctness thing.
St Kilda has been nominated as the club to take players with handicaps that will prevent them playing good football.
I wonder what this years handicap will be.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
ace
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 26 Jul 2018 11:06pm
Smith is a quality midfield bull but on the inside. We have enough inside mids so I would prefer others, Rankine, Walsh ideally but knowing us we will get one of the King brothers
We will have them both after two years if one has to go interstate initially.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

ace
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Fri 27 Jul 2018 12:29am
dragit wrote: Thu 26 Jul 2018 11:37pm

Apparently that is what lethlean was hired to do. So once he sacks everyone who is going to handle the recruiting and pull us out of the shite?
I can lend him a coin.
It will do a better job of choosing between players than our recruiters have in the past.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Blues will beat Suns. Yep, more likely 4 or 5 still.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sat 28 Jul 2018 10:33pm Blues will beat Suns. Yep, more likely 4 or 5 still.
Suns losing last night makes it a bit harder for them to rise up the ladder, but Brisbane should finish above us and we may finish below the 'Dogs if we can't beat them next week. I believe we will beat the 'Dogs next week, but who knows? If we fail to finish and don't convert again, it'll be a close finish.
We'll only get pick 4 or 5 if the Suns get their priority pick, and if it is given to them after their first selection. There is also a slim possibility that the Blues will end up with a priority pick in this year's draft, most likely at the end of the first round if it does happen. I think we'll still end up with pick 3.
In the final month of the home and away fixtures there are always several big upsets that get thrown up. On exposed form, Brisbane, the 'Dogs, and the Suns have all shown they are capable of taking a big scalp, and I think they will again. The 'Dogs are a chance today in Ballarat against Port for example.
The priority pick situation throws up a lot of potential changes to our final draft position. I hope Lynch stays with the Suns from a self-interest point of view, but it looks inevitable that he will leave, and possibly May at the end of next season too. Priority picks aplenty in the post to the Suns you would think, thereby compromising the draft for the forseeable future.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Lynch confirmed gone. Suns will get two early picks now.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
older saint
SS Life Member

Dont trade our pick be it 2, 4, 5. We need top line players we have great foot soldiers we lack silk

Moods
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 8:40pm Dont trade our pick be it 2, 4, 5. We need top line players we have great foot soldiers we lack silk
Ha.

I say trade them (the picks) if a proven player comes along. Unfortunately I have lost faith in our recruiters.

older saint
SS Life Member

Moods wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 8:49pm
older saint wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 8:40pm Dont trade our pick be it 2, 4, 5. We need top line players we have great foot soldiers we lack silk
Ha.

I say trade them (the picks) if a proven player comes along. Unfortunately I have lost faith in our recruiters.
Clark, Coffield, Gresham, Billings wins
Long McCartin - jury still out

Roos said Melbourne would have taken Billings if they didnt trade pick 2, so really only Long is the wildcard pick there.
More trading worries me - McEvoy, Austin, Freeman

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 8:07pm Lynch confirmed gone. Suns will get two early picks now.
:lol:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 8:54pm
Ha.

Roos said Melbourne would have taken Billings if they didnt trade pick 2, so really only Long is the wildcard pick there.
I don't care who Melbourne would have taken. That doesn't make it a win. I was always a bit concerned by a small skilful upgrade on Lonie as our 1st pick - but thought, 'what do I know?'

For mine Billings is definitely NOT a win. Not yet. Not by a long shot. Not for what we were expecting from him. He STILL turns the ball over too much, doesn't convert gettable chances and appears a little 'timid' at times. Gresham is the only definite win in the group. Long is coming along. Like I said, how can anyone possibly call Clarke and Coffield a win at this stage of their careers? Coffield has spent over half the year in the reserves in a bottom 3 team. Clarke has shown promising signs but has hardly smashed the door down. I may be wrong but have either of them even been nominated for rookie of the year this year? No worries if they haven't. I wouldn't make a call either way until the end of their 3rd year though unless they did something remarkable, like a Judd, Riewoldt, or Bontempelli.

McCartin was definitely a risk. I'm not going to pretend that I have my ear to the AFL industry, but I do know that the narrative only turned to McCartin once the Saints indicated that he was in the frame for #1. Was always a risk going a big bloke for pick #1 and so it has proved. I read the posts re ppl wishfully talking Petracca down to make themselves feel better, but he has something special. Paddy doesn't. His younger brother shows more potential for mine.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Eliminate some of the risk. I reckon the under 18's comp is a danger sometimes for picking players. We should try and get players that have at least played some sort of seniors footy

Not only are they ready made, but you can judge these young guys in a competition for men

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Moods wrote: Thu 02 Aug 2018 11:37pm
Ha.

I don't care who Melbourne would have taken. That doesn't make it a win. I was always a bit concerned by a small skilful upgrade on Lonie as our 1st pick - but thought, 'what do I know?'

For mine Billings is definitely NOT a win. Not yet. Not by a long shot. Not for what we were expecting from him. He STILL turns the ball over too much, doesn't convert gettable chances and appears a little 'timid' at times. Gresham is the only definite win in the group. Long is coming along. Like I said, how can anyone possibly call Clarke and Coffield a win at this stage of their careers? Coffield has spent over half the year in the reserves in a bottom 3 team. Clarke has shown promising signs but has hardly smashed the door down. I may be wrong but have either of them even been nominated for rookie of the year this year? No worries if they haven't. I wouldn't make a call either way until the end of their 3rd year though unless they did something remarkable, like a Judd, Riewoldt, or Bontempelli.

McCartin was definitely a risk. I'm not going to pretend that I have my ear to the AFL industry, but I do know that the narrative only turned to McCartin once the Saints indicated that he was in the frame for #1. Was always a risk going a big bloke for pick #1 and so it has proved. I read the posts re ppl wishfully talking Petracca down to make themselves feel better, but he has something special. Paddy doesn't. His younger brother shows more potential for mine.
Agree on Petracca...he and McCartin may as well be playing different sports, such is the gap between them. Worst thing is Petracca was a KNOWN quantity pre draft, and we f***ed up plain and simple. I also lol at those that bag Petracca..thats your right but it dosen't change the facts.

stonecold
SS Life Member

iwantmeseats wrote: Fri 03 Aug 2018 4:02pm
Ha.

Agree on Petracca...he and McCartin may as well be playing different sports, such is the gap between them. Worst thing is Petracca was a KNOWN quantity pre draft, and we f***ed up plain and simple. I also lol at those that bag Petracca..thats your right but it dosen't change the facts.
Petracca, what facts?????

Billings has a better record, so makes no sense to talk Billings down and Petracca up!!!!!

I laugh at people talking Petracca Up, haha,haha!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
older saint
SS Life Member

Ha.

The Melbourne (Roos) point doesn't make it a win , it means the pick was not unexpected or a risk.
Very few players come in first year and dominate, of those they either become greats or drop off after as everyone catches up. I am not expert but what i have seen of the light framed Coffield and Clark says to me we made the right call recruiting them so far. Anyone who expected a full year from them , especially with our selection policy, was kidding themselves.

Billings numbers stack up very well against Petracca. Billings will be a slow burn , IMO, not saying he will be great but can remember many a person after 4 years saying "Gee Hawthorn mucked up picking Hodge over Ball and Judd" .
This is part of the problem with AFL they draft in too young . Compare the the NFL - those players enter teams at 21-22, Very few play NRL at 18, yet we expect kids , generally not physically developed to come in and make in impact in years 1,2,3. Unrealistic.

McCartin i believe was picked because StKilda got Spooked by the Tom Boyd signing.
Time will tell with all but to be fair any judgements before 5 years are really just guesses.
JMO

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

So what happened to our 2nd and 3rd round selections?

From memory we may have used something for Logan Austin, but he's probably not worth a 2nd rounder