McCartin - The biggest recruiting disaster of all time

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin - The biggest recruiting disaster of all time

Prob not pick the best mid avl......

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Far too early to making a call on paddy either way.

Equally far too early to be arguing the draft overall had less top end talent than this year or the one prior. Let's just see how it looks in a few years time shall we?!

#1 Ryder fan
citywest

Joffa Burns wrote:I went last night with the view of watching Paddy closely as I haven't been overly impressed by what he had shown to date and I don't like knocking young kids trying to find their way in the game.

The concerns I saw with Paddy:
- Not quick
- Not agile
- Not an endurance athlete
- Not a big spring or jump
- second efforts were non existent

You don't have to be all of those, I don't expect another Rooey, it would be like Cam White and Steve Smith replacing Warnie. I did hope he had something elite that made him stand out.

Difference with Boyd or Patton is they are 200cm and can jump, Paddy is 194 so a small KPP in this era who lacks the athletic gifts you look for when hoping for upside. No doubt he monsters the back men in juniors, but he has to have more than that at AFL level.

I was hoping for Pettracca just from watching his Dangerfield like highlights, really I have no clue about recruiting, but I've watched footy for a long time and I hope I am wrong but I am not seeing anything in Paddy that excites or shows why he was taken at #1.
Excellent post Joffa Burns. Paddy will more than likely be a good player but will he be worth a number 1 pick? I seriously doubt it....I hope I'm wrong.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Even if Paddy is Tony Lockett I dont think it will help us until we overhaul our midfield AND backline.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Massive mistake by our recruiters. He is destined to be the worst Number 1 draft pick of all time.
Ok.

You have had over a year of extra time. Where should have he been taken (I assume you must have him at pick 70?) and what is your Top10 of available picks to StKilda (ie Moore not available).

Round Pick Drafted By Player Current Team Games Since
Drafted
1 1 St Kilda Patrick McCartin St Kilda 7
1 2 Melbourne Christian Petracca Melbourne 0
3 Compensation Melbourne Angus Brayshaw Melbourne 22
1 4 GWS Jarrod Pickett GWS 0
1 5 Collingwood Jordan De Goey Collingwood 18
1 6 GWS Caleb Marchbank GWS 7
1 7 GWS Paul Ahern GWS 0
1 8 Gold Coast Peter Wright Gold Coast 3
1 9 Father/Son Collingwood Darcy Moore Collingwood 11
1 10 Geelong Nakia Cockatoo Geelong 11

Put up, or shut up.

Personally I think that draft was very weak at the top......

You can only pick what is available. And while I personally was favouraing Petracca McCartin was cerainly thereabouts in what wasa weak field.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
lefty
Club Player

Paddy will be fine.

I'm not sure on Gresham, needs to play twos, but I'm concerned about lack of pace

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
citywest wrote:Massive mistake by our recruiters. He is destined to be the worst Number 1 draft pick of all time.
Ok.

You have had over a year of extra time. Where should have he been taken (I assume you must have him at pick 70?) and what is your Top10 of available picks to StKilda (ie Moore not available).

Round Pick Drafted By Player Current Team Games Since
Drafted
1 1 St Kilda Patrick McCartin St Kilda 7
1 2 Melbourne Christian Petracca Melbourne 0
3 Compensation Melbourne Angus Brayshaw Melbourne 22
1 4 GWS Jarrod Pickett GWS 0
1 5 Collingwood Jordan De Goey Collingwood 18
1 6 GWS Caleb Marchbank GWS 7
1 7 GWS Paul Ahern GWS 0
1 8 Gold Coast Peter Wright Gold Coast 3
1 9 Father/Son Collingwood Darcy Moore Collingwood 11
1 10 Geelong Nakia Cockatoo Geelong 11

Put up, or shut up.

Personally I think that draft was very weak at the top......

You can only pick what is available. And while I personally was favouraing Petracca McCartin was cerainly thereabouts in what wasa weak field.
Stop being so analytics and logical.

It totally throws his argument.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Con Gorozidis wrote:Even if Paddy is Tony Lockett I dont think it will help us until we overhaul our midfield AND backline.
For this we need to overhaul our recruiting team - or the way they think.
For the last few years we've been crying out for more spread and run and carry.

It's imperative now - we need to recruit midfielders with kicking skills and leg speed -- a couple of line-breaking ball magnets are long, long, long (x10 to the power of google) overdue.

SMS
Club Player

So raking a chest mark 1cm from the ground at full pace is not agile?? Wth???

Cant wait for his break out game ... Might be this week. All the haters will eat words

Judging him on an absolute thrashing. Still took 6 marks. Looked waybetter than boyd.
Jumped into packs and over em what game are you guys watching????

Is he slow or is it like the matrix/harvey??

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Intersting comparison between McCartin and T Hawkins at similar times in their career.

Hawkins in his first 9 games had 52 kicks, 33 marks and 25 handballs, he also kicked 12 goals 10 behinds
McCartin in his first 7 games has had 43 kicks, 26 marks and 13 handballs and has kicked 3 goals 5 behinds.

So McCartin is not that far behind statistically from Hawkins, he just needs to hit the scoreboard more often. He could have and should have kicked 3 goals on the weekend but he shanked a couple and was missed by Lonie for a certain goal.

saint-stu
Club Player

SMS wrote:So raking a chest mark 1cm from the ground at full pace is not agile?? Wth???

Cant wait for his break out game ... Might be this week. All the haters will eat words

Judging him on an absolute thrashing. Still took 6 marks. Looked waybetter than boyd.
Jumped into packs and over em what game are you guys watching????

Is he slow or is it like the matrix/harvey??
I agree, he looks great for a key forward at this stage of his career.

1ac46a38
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote: Excellent post Joffa Burns. Paddy will more than likely be a good player but will he be worth a number 1 pick? I seriously doubt it....I hope I'm wrong.
Citywest, what a disgraceful OP. What Do you hope to achieve with a post like that? You post a thread titled, "the worst recruiting disaster of all time" and then 5 pages in you say "he'll probably be a good player". Seriously man. Have a look at yourself. The mods have given you plenty of support for some time, but when you post inflammatory baiting rubbish like that it seriously stretches my sense of giving everyone a fair go. You even acknowledged early in the thread that "I might get banned for this". So you know it's inflammatory but you post it anyway. You strike me as one of those supporters who takes their disappointment at being beaten out on the players by sitting there and bagging them at every opportunity. FFS he's 19. Played 7 games. One of the worst OP's about a player I've seen.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
citywest wrote: Excellent post Joffa Burns. Paddy will more than likely be a good player but will he be worth a number 1 pick? I seriously doubt it....I hope I'm wrong.
Citywest, what a disgraceful OP. What Do you hope to achieve with a post like that? You post a thread titled, "the worst recruiting disaster of all time" and then 5 pages in you say "he'll probably be a good player". Seriously man. Have a look at yourself. The mods have given you plenty of support for some time, but when you post inflammatory baiting rubbish like that it seriously stretches my sense of giving everyone a fair go. You even acknowledged early in the thread that "I might get banned for this". So you know it's inflammatory but you post it anyway. You strike me as one of those supporters who takes their disappointment at being beaten out on the players by sitting there and bagging them at every opportunity. FFS he's 19. Played 7 games. One of the worst OP's about a player I've seen.
You're making the assumption that he/she is a Saints supporter and not an opposition supporter.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

ace wrote:
Myron Gaines wrote:He had an ordinary game. Seriously lacks intensity.
Is he better than Jack Watts?

But debating that selection is a waste of time - what is done is done.
More importantly what are we going to do with pick No 1 in the 2016 draft.
He was disappointing but it was only one game. I feel he needs to significantly improve his intensity. On a few occasions I saw him lead & ease up when meeting the ball in flight giving his opponent time to spoil.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Lets see how Paddy goes after he strings a few games together and gets some confidence up.
About 24 months before we can pass judgment.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I personally think paddy is going to be awesome. A classic plugger-esq full forward. Will smash em and grab em.

#1 Ryder fan
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Paddy was the right choice, given all the circumstances. Remember, when they selected him they had no idea Bruce would turn out to be the forward he became. The strategy and thinking were right. They've built a potentially awesome spine that should see us right for a decade. Bruce, McCartin, Carlisle, Goddard. Not too shabby on paper. I think we've been a bit harsh on our young midfield group as well. They'll take a bit more time, but Dunstan and Ross inside, Freeman and Billings outside, Gresham a mixture of both. A bit of class in there. Add a free agent gun or two and another early draft pick midfielder type and I reckon we're good to go! Plenty of honest foot soldiers in the ranks already.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not so sure about the Plugger Comparison

With a worse midfield in a wooden spoon team
Plugger kicked more than 70 in his first full season at 18yo

bigred
Saintsational Legend

His body looks a lot better.

Bet he's a strong unit. A couple more preseasons and he will be a beast.

Just keep playing him.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Weve recruited plenty of shockers with early picks. Paddy isn't one of them.

How many games did Last years Coleman medalist play in his first 3 seasons ? ...

Paddy will be a solid if unspectacular contributor for us in years to come.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

SMS wrote:McCartin has shown some great signs what are you guys on???

He looked much better than boyd. If mccartin swapped with boyd he wouldve kicked 5.

How about some
Support?? This kid yes KID 19 years old DEVELOPING KEY FORWARD is a gun. He has great composure, graat hands and brilliant kick for goal. Please dont be so silly to look at tiny sample on a dog night (literally)

Loved his chest mark. Showed incredible agility.

He needs work on endurance .... AHHHH SO DID MOST GREAT PLAYERS!!!

He is a gun and very strong person ... He will come good. He will kick bags of 4 this year in the AFL, mark my words.

BUT it may be 2018 before we see him become
The gun you are looking for after seven games.

Seriously get some perspective and learn about football.
Very well said.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:
St.byron, you are correct, but you and BFUSA can do something about it.

Many posters have left in droves but this troll is allowed to incite and inflame at will.

Everyone on here is sick of this posters provocative trolling and anti Saints posting.

You guys were warned years ago this poster is not a Saints supporter. He has been banned from here numerous times however you allow him back with different nic's.

There are plenty of posters I don't really like in style bigmart, saynta, even con for example, but there is NO DOUBT they are Saints men through and through.

The same cant be said for the OP

You are garbage - Enough said
Legendary
Club Player

Josh Kennedy (Carlton/WCE) kicked just 11 goals from his first 22 games (played over his first 2 seasons), and averaged 3 marks per game. This was playing in a bottom side.

His next season (3rd) yielded just 7 goals from 7 games.

It wasn't until his 4th season that he kicked 31 goals from 16 games and became a regular member of the WCE 22.

Last season playing in a top 4 team, Kennedy kicked 80 goals and won the Coleman medal.

Yet every single member of the AFL community thought that Kennedy was an absolute spud when he was traded to the Eagles.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Legendary wrote:Josh Kennedy (Carlton/WCE) kicked just 11 goals from his first 22 games (played over his first 2 seasons), and averaged 3 marks per game. This was playing in a bottom side.

His next season (3rd) yielded just 7 goals from 7 games.

It wasn't until his 4th season that he kicked 31 goals from 16 games and became a regular member of the WCE 22.

Last season playing in a top 4 team, Kennedy kicked 80 goals and won the Coleman medal.

Yet every single member of the AFL community thought that Kennedy was an absolute spud when he was traded to the Eagles.
This also outlines why we shouldn't judge this years trades too harshly. WCE came out way ahead with Kennedy and Masten.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
SMS wrote:McCartin has shown some great signs what are you guys on???

He looked much better than boyd. If mccartin swapped with boyd he wouldve kicked 5.

How about some
Support?? This kid yes KID 19 years old DEVELOPING KEY FORWARD is a gun. He has great composure, graat hands and brilliant kick for goal. Please dont be so silly to look at tiny sample on a dog night (literally)

Loved his chest mark. Showed incredible agility.

He needs work on endurance .... AHHHH SO DID MOST GREAT PLAYERS!!!

He is a gun and very strong person ... He will come good. He will kick bags of 4 this year in the AFL, mark my words.

BUT it may be 2018 before we see him become
The gun you are looking for after seven games.

Seriously get some perspective and learn about football.
Very well said.
+ 1.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021