HARLEY BENNELL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: HARLEY BENNELL

Con Gorozidis wrote:
coopergrech wrote:Reported by Damian Barrett, on the footy show that the Saints are strongly inquiring about Harley Bennell, would be a great pick up , but his attitude is a huge factor, if we were to get him hopefully not another Andrew Lovett!
Oh great. Comparing him to Lovett based on his race. Nice start.
Why not compare him to Ben Cousins? I think Harley was caught doing lines of speed 3 years ago? Lovett left the club because of a sexual assault, not drugs or attitude. So fairly ordinary comparison.
Anyway - of course we should be interested. Jesus. He is ideal for us. 22 is a perfect age. If we cant create an environment to keep him in line then we dont deserve to win a flag. You dont win a flag with a team of choir boys (I think Alan Jeans said that).
Agree with your point Goro, but Lovett did not leave the club because of a sexual assault. He left the club because he was falsely accused of a sexual assault and was acquitted (as was Milney).

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Enrico_Misso wrote:Is this the Ben Cousins argument all over again?
(We dodged a bullet there).
Did we? Or did it cost us a Premiership? Richmond had no issue with him and in that pressure packed final quarter in 09, Cousins would have been more use than say, McQualter. Let's not also forget, that just about every club stuffed up on Jack Darling for behavioural! reasons. Wasn't it Hawthorn (not that it mattered to them) that flicked Ablett snr because he was a bit wayward?

Harves Man
Club Player

I'm inclined to agree with you, Linton Lodger - I think the all too conservative and overly-cautious decision to skip on Cousins cost us a premiership. And yes, you are right - Hawthorn gave Gary Ablett the flick and kept his older brother.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
coopergrech wrote:Reported by Damian Barrett, on the footy show that the Saints are strongly inquiring about Harley Bennell, would be a great pick up , but his attitude is a huge factor, if we were to get him hopefully not another Andrew Lovett!
Why not compare him to Ben Cousins? I think Harley was caught doing lines of speed 3 years ago? Lovett left the club because of a sexual assault, not drugs or attitude. So fairly ordinary comparison.
Anyway - of course we should be interested. Jesus. He is ideal for us. 22 is a perfect age. If we cant create an environment to keep him in line then we dont deserve to win a flag. You dont win a flag with a team of choir boys (I think Alan Jeans said that).
Agree with your point Goro, but Lovett did not leave the club because of a sexual assault. He left the club because he was falsely accused of a sexual assault and was acquitted (as was Milney).
Well in the end he was acquitted yes. I was para-phrasing.
I am just saying they have had very different paths. Lovett hadnt even played one AFL game at age 23. Harley already has 80.
It isnt a very accurate comparison to compare these two blokes.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i can confirm from talking to a person very close to the Bennell family that he has spoken to his manager about playing in Melbourne (not Perth) next year... read into that what you like .... it doesn't say GC are going to let him go or where he will go or anything of the sort but Barrett is right that there has been talk about him heading south

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Linton Lodger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Massive difference between being falsely accused & being acquitted.

Sexual assault is an exceptionally hard charge to prove beyond reasonable doubt (with the absence of physical evidence, eyewitness, etc).

And just to clear it up, Lovett was sacked due to a number of incidents including reporting for training fat & out of shape, continual training issues, lying to the club about illness, getting arrested for being drunk & finally, being charged with rape. He got a payout, which was much more than he deserved IMO.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

also given the nature of the charges against Lovett there was no way you could ask the players to work with him - Lovett has said that it was the players who pushed hard for him to be fired more so then the club hence why he felt he was entitled for a payout on grounds of unfair treatment by the club ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

Saints94
SS Life Member

I would take Harley in a heartbeat.

6 goals playing as a midfielder against the Cats last year.

oozes class.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

+1. In a heartbeat. But I think it will take a bit to prise him out of Gold Coast clutches. Or maybe not.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Bennell would be awesome!! I honestly would be over the moon to get him I would give up pick 5/6 for him in a heart beat ... heck I would even be open to losing one of our young kids (besides Acres Billings Goddard Paddy Dunstan or Lonie) to get the deal over the line

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
The club sacked him.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

St Trav everythings suggests the Saints have made an approach as reported and it would be better for him away from the GC. Lets hope he ends up at the Saints under Mav's tutelege and he has a brilliant career for the Saints on and off the field? After watching our midfield in recent weeks we definitely need an injection of class and if Ameet & Trout are happy with Harley that will be as good as character test as any!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Good point. If Harley was really an A grade flog then surely Mav Weller would be well positioned to know about it?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:St Trav everythings suggests the Saints have made an approach as reported and it would be better for him away from the GC. Lets hope he ends up at the Saints under Mav's tutelege and he has a brilliant career for the Saints on and off the field? After watching our midfield in recent weeks we definitely need an injection of class and if Ameet & Trout are happy with Harley that will be as good as character test as any!
im a firm believer of giving guys a second chance but honestly I don't really see what bennell did was a hangable offence .. he stuffed up he had an error of judgment and photo evidence caught him out (something we st Kilda fans should appreciate happens). I would say he was not alone that night and there would be gold coast players who are very lucky to not have been caught up in it , I would guess there would be a good percentage of players (possibly even saints players) who ae getting up to the same if not worse on their time off so I don't think he is a bad bloke at all - in fact his family are very well rounded people so I would say he is a pretty decent bloke I think this issue with him getting caught might serve as a big wake up call for him and I would suggest he will not willingly find himself in a position for it to happen to him again....

if we are not the club talking to his manager I would be very very disappointed

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Good point. If Harley was really an A grade flog then surely Mav Weller would be well positioned to know about it?
I must say I do hate it when people that we don't really know get labelled a flog.....

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't Mav also supposedly a massive flog when GC got rid of him.

They're just kids, they're going to play up from time to time
If they're still doing stupid s*** in their mid to late 20s they don't have that excuse.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

How's he played this year?

Will any changes to the drug policy effect him??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:How's he played this year?

Will any changes to the drug policy effect him??
I don't think so ... the photos were a bad look but I don't think he actually tested positive to anything ?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Wasn't Mav also supposedly a massive flog when GC got rid of him.

If they're still doing stupid s*** in their mid to late 20s they don't have that excuse.
Yes but Mav cost very little, whereas this bloke won't come cheap.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

you don't get quality's for cheap.... Mav is good but Bennell is already and out and out star.... he could realistically become the best player in the comp in a few years time

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm looking forward to next year with Bennell, Carlisle, Treloar & Dangerfield coming over…

Top 4 I reckon.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:I'm looking forward to next year with Bennell, Carlisle, Treloar & Dangerfield coming over…

Top 4 I reckon.

You missed Lachie Weller

You are garbage - Enough said
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:

No he won't but I think questioning his character and attitude just because he did a couple of lines is silly. If we knew the worst thing every player had done in their life there wouldn't be anyone we want.

Guys like Fev, Cousins and Lovely were different because they never seemed to outgrow their issues, if you're 27 and still getting kicked out of nightclubs and starting fights you got some serious issues... A teenager testing the boundaries is par for the course.

Bennells issues won't make him any cheaper and nor should they. If we can get him for a price that makes our team better however it could be worth a play.

I am still torn because I don't know the asking price or much about the draft this year but if we were scared off him because of one photo I'd be disappointed.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:

No he won't but I think questioning his character and attitude just because he did a couple of lines is silly. If we knew the worst thing every player had done in their life there wouldn't be anyone we want.

Guys like Fev, Cousins and Lovely were different because they never seemed to outgrow their issues, if you're 27 and still getting kicked out of nightclubs and starting fights you got some serious issues... A teenager testing the boundaries is par for the course.

Bennells issues won't make him any cheaper and nor should they. If we can get him for a price that makes our team better however it could be worth a play.

I am still torn because I don't know the asking price or much about the draft this year but if we were scared off him because of one photo I'd be disappointed.
100% agree ...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So the Bennell photo (reported on by Slobbo) was from March 2013. That makes him only 20yo at the time. Gutter journalism.

Now as far as we know, since then hes done nothing wrong and has managed 60 odd AFL games?