PROPOSED NEW FORUM RULES

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: PROPOSED NEW FORUM RULES

dragit wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:We need to vote on whether we should vote for mods.
I will pm, to voice my disapproval of this process.
Don't be a nu***y.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

SENsaintsational wrote:
My opinion, whether it be right or wrong, is that a Mod election just couldn't work. We might elect our political leaders but we don't elect our police. Mods are our police officers. They are appointed to do a job.
There is a flaw in your argument there SEN.

Whilst we do not elect police officers, it is our elected officials who appoint the police chiefs, who then control the police force. Therefore, our police force is accountable to the people. In USA, it is not uncommon for Police Chiefs to be elected.

There is no say from the members of this forum, many of whom contributed financially to it, about who runs it. The people who run it appoint the Mods. We have seen before the type of damage that has been done by cronyism in the past.

BTW, is it against the rules for me to mention if I receive a warning about something posted in this thread, as long as I don't declare the contents of that PM?

Hypothetically of course.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
markp
Saintsational Legend

I'm not in favour of voting for mods, but mods aren't like police officers or footy umpires or lollypop ladies... they are simply mods.

Also, life isn't like a box of chocolates, but more on that later perhaps.

I think it might be an idea to appoint modlets who consist of people who are generally about and are only given the power to act in dire cases of blatant trolling or otherwise wildly inappropriate happenings... like PSO's... damn.

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

As long as moderation is taking place it shouldnt be an issue imo.
If you dont feel like something is being handled fairly you can always contact someone else?

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

To answer questions - the swearing rule (remembering the forum is read by minors as well)

Swearing is not permitted. This includes abbreviations, acronyms, or any form of alteration of the swear word, in any form, that may constitute the reader to understand that it is a swear word.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

GRIEVANCES

Please note that all official warnings will be done in private via PM.

Should a Moderator be required to edit a post, this will be shown in the post and a warning and explanation issued in private to that poster via PM.

If a person wishes to discuss this further, please do so with the Moderation team via PM.

The Moderation team have the final say and are here to provide a fun environment for us to celebrate all things St Kilda Football Club.

Please accept the umpire's decision and move on.

The above penalty system gives you three chances before your enjoyment of the community will be restricted. Take advantage of those three chances to improve your conduct.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

We are adding another MOD without election - simply because I really need a hand during the days while I am working.

Regarding a MOD ELECTION, I have been giving this more thought to find a mechanism that might work. I would love feedback on this!

1) A locked post is created entitled NOMINATE YOURSELF TO BE A MOD where posters are invited to PM me to nominate themselves as a MOD explaining why they would be a good MOD and what times of day they can cover (no discussion at all to be done in public) and posters cannot nominate another poster to be a MOD.

2) Battye, HSVKing and I then review the posting history of that poster who wants to be a MOD

3) We communicate to the poster whether we shall be putting their name forward to the Forum as a possible MOD ... or not

4) If we do put the poster forward to the forum to be a MOD it will be done with a new Locked Post where we invite forum members to PM any objections that they may have to that person being a MOD (3 day window of opportunity to protest)

5) If the objections are (a) non existent or (b) trivial or (c) deemed to be isolated incidents then the poster may be added as a MOD

6) When the new MOD is added, the forum will be notified by a locked post ...

Thoughts???

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I've been giving this some serious thought and I'd like to nominate myself as a mod.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman - what do you think of the process suggested above - I am worried by volunteering openly you are now open to public debate ... thinking this might work better via Private Messages (PMs) ... if you like I can remove your post above to avoid open debate ... before too many people see it!

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:We are adding another MOD without election - simply because I really need a hand during the days while I am working.

Regarding a MOD ELECTION, I have been giving this more thought to find a mechanism that might work. I would love feedback on this!

1) A locked post is created entitled NOMINATE YOURSELF TO BE A MOD where posters are invited to PM me to nominate themselves as a MOD explaining why they would be a good MOD and what times of day they can cover (no discussion at all to be done in public) and posters cannot nominate another poster to be a MOD.

2) Battye, HSVKing and I then review the posting history of that poster who wants to be a MOD

3) We communicate to the poster whether we shall be putting their name forward to the Forum as a possible MOD ... or not

4) If we do put the poster forward to the forum to be a MOD it will be done with a new Locked Post where we invite forum members to PM any objections that they may have to that person being a MOD (3 day window of opportunity to protest)

5) If the objections are (a) non existent or (b) trivial or (c) deemed to be isolated incidents then the poster may be added as a MOD

Thoughts???
Powerful are the ways of the Sith.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:We are adding another MOD without election - simply because I really need a hand during the days while I am working.

Thoughts???
seems more than fair to me.....so i agree with the proposal...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

no more use of the word flower stinger
not allowed
we all know its swearing and under new forum rules you will get a warning
naughty naughty

:roll: :P

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

BackFromUSA wrote:To answer questions - the swearing rule (remembering the forum is read by minors as well)

Swearing is not permitted. This includes abbreviations, acronyms, or any form of alteration of the swear word, in any form, that may constitute the reader to understand that it is a swear word.

Can I put forward some dissention on this. I agree with the altered spelling of a swear word, that's an obvious one. However I would think widely used internet acronyms such as "WTF" as an example, are in such mainstream use, and are such a prevelant part of the modern lexicon as to be basically inoffensive, no?

LOL, ROFLMAO, WTF are commonly used by kids texting and to me are a long way from using the word f**k (self censored for the eample) in a sentence.

Whilst I fully support the measures to improve the forum and the experience of the users, I also don't think we need to make it a chapter of the temperance society. Can I get soome feedback from all concerned on this? Just seems a little over the top to me to eradicate the use of such widely acepted acronymns because "won't somebody please think of the children!". If a kid is on here and old enough to understand the acronym, then I would hazard a guess they are already using the long form of the word themselves!! And whilst there are children on here I think it is obvious the vast majority of users are adults or adolescents and as such, shouldn't be restricted to Disney channel level of communication.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:To answer questions - the swearing rule (remembering the forum is read by minors as well)

Can I put forward some dissention on this. I agree with the altered spelling of a swear word, that's an obvious one. However I would think widely used internet acronyms such as "WTF" as an example, are in such mainstream use, and are such a prevelant part of the modern lexicon as to be basically inoffensive, no?

LOL, ROFLMAO, WTF are commonly used by kids texting and to me are a long way from using the word f**k (self censored for the eample) in a sentence.

Whilst I fully support the measures to improve the forum and the experience of the users, I also don't think we need to make it a chapter of the temperance society. Can I get soome feedback from all concerned on this? Just seems a little over the top to me to eradicate the use of such widely acepted acronymns because "won't somebody please think of the children!". If a kid is on here and old enough to understand the acronym, then I would hazard a guess they are already using the long form of the word themselves!! And whilst there are children on here I think it is obvious the vast majority of users are adults or adolescents and as such, shouldn't be restricted to Disney channel level of communication.

100% agree.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

What about 'tit'?

Great word. Under utilised and underrated.

'Scrote' is another that I think should be omitted.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:no more use of the word flower stinger
not allowed
we all know its swearing and under new forum rules you will get a warning
naughty naughty

:roll: :P
what was that word they used all the time on red dwarf.....smeg, wasn't it......???

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yes
smeg

short for smegma

im not even going to explain it here
its a google thing

stinger
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:yes
smeg

short for smegma

im not even going to explain it here
its a google thing
didn't they use to say"smeg off"..?????...bit like frack off as used on battlestar galactica....all the sci fi shows had their own variation.........flower is used on a number of footy forums ...including talking carlton.....that in itself is a good reason not to use it though....

i can get through ordinary life whilst not swearing...well maybe the odd slip up......so should be able to manage it here...... :wink:

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Cairnsman - what do you think of the process suggested above - I am worried by volunteering openly you are now open to public debate ... thinking this might work better via Private Messages (PMs) ... if you like I can remove your post above to avoid open debate ... before too many people see it!
Nah leave it in the public domain. If I'm going to be a mod I want to be transparent.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:Cairnsman - what do you think of the process suggested above - I am worried by volunteering openly you are now open to public debate ... thinking this might work better via Private Messages (PMs) ... if you like I can remove your post above to avoid open debate ... before too many people see it!
Nah leave it in the public domain. If I'm going to be a mod I want to be transparent.

Gday Casper.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Can see right through you Cairnsey.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Can see right through you Cairnsey.
What are you trying to say.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Haha. Must be the FNQ sense of humour.

And no, FNQ is not an acronym for a swear word.......

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Haha. Must be the FNQ sense of humour.

I'm getting the feeling it means Fair to Nil Qualifications.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Haha. Must be the FNQ sense of humour.

can be.... :wink: