Second List Lodgement- Eddy and Miles delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:Gee thats a surprise, Miles is very unlucky, I thought he showed something, maybe they will pick him up again???
nah.....couple of list cloggers...him and eddy......nice boys...but short on talent.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Off topic, but can work it back to the topic. Was it made public how much of Lovett's salary would count towards our cap for 11/12? I am guessing no, but would hate to see players let go, or players not picked up due to the cap pressure which it seems we have.
No idea re the Lovett issue St Ick.

However in relation to cap pressure I note in the past when clubs have had to let players go they're usually of a higher profile than Eddy & Miles. Their loss is hardly likely to create enormous relief.

In saying that the club has not given it's reasons for the delistings so it's fair for posters to speculate.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Glad that Miles and Eddy are gone.

6 picks gives me 6 new false-hopes in the draft lol!!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Glad that Miles and Eddy are gone.

6 picks gives me 6 new false-hopes in the draft lol!!!
And 6 more players who, according to Kevin Sheehan, can run, kick, mark, tackle and will thus earn the comment "the Saints got a beauty there" :D

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

How do these decisions get made? If I'm any sort of judge of character at all, I find it almost inconceivable that Lyon would have wanted to let Eddy go. From my perspective, Lyon had a sort of stubborn faith in Eddy's potential value to the team akin to the faith which GT used to show for Jason Blake.

So was the decision to delist Eddy perhaps not Lyon's call? Is it related to the process we saw last year on which the selectors kept dropping Dempster and Lyon kept reinstating him on match day?

Perhaps someone at the club has issued an edict along the lines of "give Armo, Steven, Stanley, Geary a regular go and leave the hacks in the VFL".

Probably that's all a bit fanciful. The truth is more likely that Eddy's injuries are more serious than we know. If he isn't going to be fit for a full 2011, he isn't going to be much value.

As for Miles, he always seemed unlikely to make it: relatively old, built like outside midfielder (and fast and with OK skills) but presumably without the engine to play there (or else why was he masquerading as a back?).

But Miles did as well in his AFL appearances as anyone could possibly have hoped. So why, after perservering with him for so long, did the club decide to get rid of him now?

It's all a bit mysterious.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:Gee thats a surprise, Miles is very unlucky, I thought he showed something, maybe they will pick him up again???
nah.....couple of list cloggers...him and eddy......nice boys...but short on talent.....
So once they are gone they are list cloggers. Have you said that previously and who are our current list cloggers still with us or are we hindsight knockers of our ex players?

saintbob
SS Life Member

McQualter must be feeling pretty lucky, as he should've gone with Eddy and Miles!!!

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

all berbs.
ross has gone
this will be your office berbs and this is our (coach) kitchen, this is the gym and this will be your parking spot, now then, mate what do you reckon?
mate, i cant do anything with eddy, he's only six feet, he butchers it, he's lightly framed and he's afraid to get hurt, sorry.
no worries mate i want you to be comfortable, is there anyone else?
i know miles is promising but yeah he's only 6'1" the only way we're going to make a footballer out of him is in the midfield and harves says no, so yeah, miles too.
no dramas, have you had lunch?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so we want speed and we delist miles

ok then

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:Regardless of what you think of Cahill and his capacity to play at senior level, I would suggest the fact he is a tall forward probably earned him a bit more time.
Is there any reason we could't have done that from the rookie list? I don't think any opposition clubs are waiting for a chance to pounce on Cahill. He was a late round pick in the first place. Since then he's struggled to get a regular game for the VFL seniors.

I'd have much rather kept Miles or Eddy than Cahill.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Regardless of what you think of Cahill and his capacity to play at senior level, I would suggest the fact he is a tall forward probably earned him a bit more time.
Is there any reason we could't have done that from the rookie list? I don't think any opposition clubs are waiting for a chance to pounce on Cahill. He was a late round pick in the first place. Since then he's struggled to get a regular game for the VFL seniors.

true, but that's looking at the bigger picture.
when it comes down to eddy and miles they are both pegged as half backs and fall under the defenders category.
when asked simply of berbs who he wants to coach berbs cant coach eddy and he cant coach miles either.
at the end of the day cahill isn't someone that berbs will ever be responsible for.
it's a vote for the longevity of hayes.
clearly miles could have been there post lenny but if lenny looks like he'll be around until he's 34 that's a long time to wait for a miles to be on the list.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:How do these decisions get made? If I'm any sort of judge of character at all, I find it almost inconceivable that Lyon would have wanted to let Eddy go. From my perspective, Lyon had a sort of stubborn faith in Eddy's potential value to the team akin to the faith which GT used to show for Jason Blake.

So was the decision to delist Eddy perhaps not Lyon's call? Is it related to the process we saw last year on which the selectors kept dropping Dempster and Lyon kept reinstating him on match day?

Perhaps someone at the club has issued an edict along the lines of "give Armo, Steven, Stanley, Geary a regular go and leave the hacks in the VFL".

Probably that's all a bit fanciful. The truth is more likely that Eddy's injuries are more serious than we know. If he isn't going to be fit for a full 2011, he isn't going to be much value.

As for Miles, he always seemed unlikely to make it: relatively old, built like outside midfielder (and fast and with OK skills) but presumably without the engine to play there (or else why was he masquerading as a back?).

But Miles did as well in his AFL appearances as anyone could possibly have hoped. So why, after perservering with him for so long, did the club decide to get rid of him now?

No. No mystery. You look at the blokes on the cusp of the chop and he was the least likely to show any semblance of improvement. McQualter had a ripper of an 09, an injury-effected dud '10, but he has upside. Dempster showed a bit in his last few games (IMO). But all along Eddy was shown up as a 22-27 type who simply had no more to give of himself. Having done a bit of digging re Miles, my unqualified suspicions re the fragility of his body may have had more to do with it than an absence of talent...

I'm sad for them, am sure they gave their all, but the list moves on.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Current jobs for Eddy - electrical and/or water industry.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

true, but that's looking at the bigger picture.
when it comes down to eddy and miles they are both pegged as half backs and fall under the defenders category.
when asked simply of berbs who he wants to coach berbs cant coach eddy and he cant coach miles either.
at the end of the day cahill isn't someone that berbs will ever be responsible for.
it's a vote for the longevity of hayes.
clearly miles could have been there post lenny but if lenny looks like he'll be around until he's 34 that's a long time to wait for a miles to be on the list.
You got to get off that stuff. By the way are you related to Ace?

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

you get off it cyberbully :x

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:you get off it cyberbully :x
Just worried about your health and please dont speed next time. That is also bad for your health.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

the only speed here is the speed in your pipe crackhead!

Country Kid
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
meher baba wrote:How do these decisions get made? If I'm any sort of judge of character at all, I find it almost inconceivable that Lyon would have wanted to let Eddy go. From my perspective, Lyon had a sort of stubborn faith in Eddy's potential value to the team akin to the faith which GT used to show for Jason Blake.

No. No mystery. You look at the blokes on the cusp of the chop and he was the least likely to show any semblance of improvement. McQualter had a ripper of an 09, an injury-effected dud '10, but he has upside. Dempster showed a bit in his last few games (IMO). But all along Eddy was shown up as a 22-27 type who simply had no more to give of himself. Having done a bit of digging re Miles, my unqualified suspicions re the fragility of his body may have had more to do with it than an absence of talent...

I'm sad for them, am sure they gave their all, but the list moves on.
I have a feeling that we may see more delistings by the 3rd lodgement with either or both McQualter & Dempster not at the club for 2011. The club is saying they are in contractual negotiations but if all was well surely they would have signed by now. If the club is having salary cap pressure as has been reported then perhaps they have been offered lesser contracts.

Sean

matrix wrote:so we want speed and we delist miles

ok then
Yeah thats true. It does contradict what we were to do in getting pace into our side. But Miles is too injury prone unfortuanately. Don't get me he's a talent alright, I watched the GF sprint and there have been much praise on the 2 games he has played. But I think it was too much for him in the end. Can he really play a full season out? That's probably what Ross considered and I guess I wasn't that surprised to see him go.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think with Baker, Blake, Fisher, Dawson, Clarke. Geary, Gram, Goddard, McQualter, Jones, Simpkin, Winmar, Smith, Walsh. and probably a couple I have missed, how many defensive players do we need on the list? Whereas forwards, now that is a different story.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I think with Baker, Blake, Fisher, Dawson, Clarke. Geary, Gram, Goddard, McQualter, Jones, Simpkin, Winmar, Smith, Walsh. and probably a couple I have missed, how many defensive players do we need on the list? Whereas forwards, now that is a different story.
You're right Barry we do have heaps of defensive players.

However quite a few of those you mention are also capable of being an offensive threat (as opposed to the purely defensive types)