R7 Match Preview - Collingwood v St.Kilda - By DaVe86

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Well done Dave, fair summation. I think had Davis, Medhurst, Didak and Anthony played it would have alot closer. I think the result was a fair indication for the opposition we were up against. I still think though that the way we are playing at the moment I believe we're a 5 goal better team than if you had had those four playing.

You have some serious problems in your forward line, Cloke for various reasons is not the player he could or should be and I have no idea what will snap him out of this slump. Rocca I'm afraid is a liability and I can't see him working in a forward line with Anthony, I feel he's a benefit to the opposition defence, he's not fit and struggles after a chase in such a way that his opponent becomes a vital link in freeing up a defender to run the ball out. Didak and Medhurst were sorely missed for there pressure and creativity...I hope for your sake Reid and Rusling come on, then the hard work your midfield does will finally be rewarded.

I thought Lockyer was exposed last night and wasn't able to drop off the contests to make himself dangerous. I don't know your take on Thomas is but he would frustrate the hell out of me if he was in a Saints jumper, if he played for Fremantle or Melbourne I can guarantee his football would not be getting him on every 2nd ad on telly. Too concerned about how he can add to his highlight reel rather than work consistently hard like Pendlebury, Swan and O'bree. Leon Davis is someone who he could learn alot from.

I've always felt Goddard's football was going to be like Buckley's, so I think we are blessed that Carlton cheated their way to ensuring he ended up on our list. He does make mistakes with the ball under pressure but so do many AFL players. Buckley also made those mistakes but what they both bring (brought) to their respective clubs far outweigh (ed) any errors made under extreme pressure.

Thanks for popping on here with measured, well thought out views. I've enjoyed your writing, stay in touch with saintsational.

Now looking forward to seeing Ted Bundy's take on the game, I'm sure it will be full of excuses, tears and expletives...ahhh music to my ears.

python
Club Player

although the injuries to collingwoods stars didnt alter the result imo, i think it would've changed the margin. Collingwood controlled the ball for the first ten minutes or so, and with didak, medhurst, davis and anthony in the side, they may have capitalised and changed the outlook of the game. As it was, milney snapped a few, then it was pretty much over. You had hit us with everything early, and still were behind, that would obviously effect the morale of the squad a lot.

DaVe86
Club Player

exactly right python...the game was over the minute milney snapped a few.

That's the only difference i think Medhurst, Davis, Didak and Anthony may have made. In the first 15 mnutes when we came out and controlled the ball, we may have kicked 3 goals instead of 1, and gone in at quarter time with a bit more spirit.

But even so, our ball use to the forwards was terrible...we could'nt spot up a target over 15 metres. Plus our entries were so wide that the shots were very low percentage.

Maxwell was definitely our BOG....i think Riewoldt, Montagna, Hayes and Goddard are the 4 who will tussle for the votes at the brownlow. Dal and Gilbert also very good.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

DaVe86 wrote:

I wish the Saints all the best, they look the goods. I'd like another crack at you guys at full strength...but last night that wouldn't have made a difference. You guys simply worked harder in attack and defence. You are making teams look very ordinary. We looked bottom 4 material last night.

I'll stick around for further discussion.
hopefully we will be at full strength by then too.....with dempster, raph, king, maxie and maquire back in the side....we will have to wait until next year for x and allan to return..........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.