Match Thread Saints v Suns Round 4 2023

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintkid
Club Player

Re: Match Thread Saints v Suns Round 4 2023

Moods wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 8:13am
saintkid wrote: Sat 08 Apr 2023 10:52pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 08 Apr 2023 10:51pm I’m positive before the season someone on here was writing Owens off saying he wasn’t anything special.

Kid is a gun! 😁
We were impressed with him on his debut last year.
Surely you're joking. Was one of the worst debuts I've ever seen. Kid literally didn't touch the ball. (maybe once or twice) and looked all at sea. Was played in the midfield against the pies and ran around like a headless chook. Fast forward 10 or so games and he literally looks like he could be anything. No way you could see that from his debut though
I meant his first few games in 2022 not just on his first game. Sorry for the lack of clarity in the way I worded it last night. It was obvious in the few things he did at times that he had that X-factor, special quality about him. It was more obvious in his Sandy games but it was there, just like Windhager but Owens was electric with some of his bursts of play.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 08 Apr 2023 10:51pm I’m positive before the season someone on here was writing Owens off saying he wasn’t anything special.

Kid is a gun! 😁
Surely you're joking. Was one of the worst debuts I've ever seen. Kid literally didn't touch the ball. (maybe once or twice) and looked all at sea. Was played in the midfield against the pies and ran around like a headless chook. Fast forward 10 or so games and he literally looks like he could be anything. No way you could see that from his debut though
I always advice waiting to pass judgement after 7 games.

saintkid
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 10:47am

Kid is a gun! 😁
:)
There is the odd exception even to your 7 game theory Vortex.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Kid is a gun! 😁
If anyone was to take any advice from you, they would lead a miserable existence

Looks as though RTB has sprinkled some magic dust on our very talented list according to the sample size

It’s going to be tough for you now to bring everyone down but keep trying, this place needs a court jester

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 10:53am

:)
There is the odd exception even to your 7 game theory Vortex.
Right, yes, I see where you're going but 7 is the key number here, think about it:

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

Moods wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 9:30am
Brunswicksainter wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 2:17am Cannot stress enough how bad the suns are. They will go close to last this year, they were pitiful.
As Ross said before the game. They have far more talent than us. They beat Cats last week. They have some great players. Very strange comment
I don’t see it that way. Talent wise I think their list is close to worse in the league. Collins, Miller, king, Anderson and then a massive drop off. I just can’t see them winning many games this year. Come back to this thread in rd24 and we will see who was right lol.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 11:40am
Brunswicksainter wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 2:17am Cannot stress enough how bad the suns are. They will go close to last this year, they were pitiful.
As Ross said before the game. They have far more talent than us. They beat Cats last week. They have some great players. Very strange comment
I don’t see it that way. I think their list is close to worse in the league. Collins, Miller, king, Anderson and then a massive drop off.
They do have a significant amount of talent but they played incredibly poorly last night, they were VFL standard for 3 quarters.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 11:43am
I don’t see it that way. I think their list is close to worse in the league. Collins, Miller, king, Anderson and then a massive drop off.
They do have a significant amount of talent but they played incredibly poorly last night, they were VFL standard for 3 quarters.
Had nothing to do with our pressure

Keep bringing us down.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Does that make us only just AFL quality??

They still had 51 i50s
More Hit Outs
More Clearances
More Centre Clearances
More Stoppage Clearances
Similar Contested Possessions

So was the difference The Suns - or was it Our Pressure and solid all round defence denying them clear football at the scoring end.?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 11:50am
Does that make us only just AFL quality??

They still had 51 i50s
More Hit Outs
More Clearances
More Centre Clearances
More Stoppage Clearances
Similar Contested Possessions

So was the difference The Suns - or was it Our Pressure and solid all round defence denying them clear football at the scoring end.?
I thought we looked mostly AFL, it wasn't the prettiest of standards in parts, lots of skill errors by both sides but where we got them was with our pressure and willingness to keep running and attacking the contest at speed. It actually looked like they gave up which will be highlighted in the media during the week.

Next week will be a good test.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Sat 08 Apr 2023 10:48pm Howard is so frustrating to watch. He's one of very few who continues to make annoying errors.
Yeah that play sums up Howard perfectly for me unfortunately.

Basic skill error leads to a turnover, then running back he refuses to go with the Suns player and let’s him run passed and take an uncontested mark.

He’s fallen well behind Wilkie and Battle IMO.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 12:31pm
saintkid wrote: Sat 08 Apr 2023 10:48pm Howard is so frustrating to watch. He's one of very few who continues to make annoying errors.

Basic skill error leads to a turnover, then running back he refuses to go with the Suns player and let’s him run passed and take an uncontested mark.

He would look better and cut down on rushed kicks if, after taking a mark or getting a free kick, he moves back his 10 or so metres as quickly as possible. It will open up his vision afield, give him space to kick and reward team mates who have already run to create space.

He should be dragged every time he meanders back from the man on the mark. Such a basic error, such a simple fix.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 1:09pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 12:31pm

He would look better and cut down on rushed kicks if, after taking a mark or getting a free kick, he moves back his 10 or so metres as quickly as possible. It will open up his vision afield, give him space to kick and reward team mates who have already run to create space.

He should be dragged every time he meanders back from the man on the mark. Such a basic error, such a simple fix.
IMHO He was fixated on drawing the 50 for a while and this is what has caused this behaviour.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Howard very good again last night. A few of you get a bee in a bonnet about a player and continue to look for affirmation. Guy makes far less disposal errors than applauded players like nasiah and sinclair, but he cops heat? One clanger and it's that the garners discussion? Be happy we have him - he and Wikie work brilliantly together.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't the impression I got from their coach in the aftergame presser. He seemed to think that the 1st quarter was the best they had played all year. He credited the saints pressure and their inability to handle it as a key factor in their downfall.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Moods wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 2:21pm
Wasn't the impression I got from their coach in the aftergame presser. He seemed to think that the 1st quarter was the best they had played all year. He credited the saints pressure and their inability to handle it as a key factor in their downfall.
Oh, he would say that wouldn't he. :lol:

Saint supporter since '62
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 2:06pm Howard very good again last night. A few of you get a bee in a bonnet about a player and continue to look for affirmation. Guy makes far less disposal errors than applauded players like nasiah and sinclair, but he cops heat? One clanger and it's that the garners discussion? Be happy we have him - he and Wikie work brilliantly together.
The bonnet wearers are a terribly fascinating bunch, some refuse to update to the more modern bonnet that prevents bees from entering but I find that's where the true entertainment can be found.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 2:21pm
I agree with Dew, 1st quarter was an even contest, GC looked like if they could maintain what they brought in that 1st then it would have been tight, they turned up their toes part way through the 2nd, waved the white flag in the 3rd. That's not lack of talent though, they have plenty of talent, they just can't find consistency, it could be the first coach kill.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 2:06pm Howard very good again last night. A few of you get a bee in a bonnet about a player and continue to look for affirmation. Guy makes far less disposal errors than applauded players like nasiah and sinclair, but he cops heat? One clanger and it's that the garners discussion? Be happy we have him - he and Wikie work brilliantly together.
The skill error wasn’t the disappointing part, it was his refusal to go with the Suns player afterwards that is damning.

The pecking order in the backline is Wilkie - Battle - Howard at the moment for me, Howard has all the attributes to be number 1 tho.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It's that one clanger that is a constant but easily fixed, IMO. That's on the coaches as much as the player. Defensively as a unit, they are very good but no team can afford any defender to continually make an easily fixable error.

It is very obvious this year he doesn't even look at getting the footy after a behind. Now that's an instruction.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I didn't realise just how fast Howard is. Like greased lightning.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Dougal did a few excellent field kicks, pin point, Sat. Brave, very hard to get a kick on, big body hard to move or get around. He's very good. Enthusiastic as a two year old.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

King Max wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 2:41am
Yorkeys wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 2:24am
Tongue in cheek?

Suns are a good side. Fast, good talls. They wont be last or close to it.

I guess you are kidding, though.
Their only win was against the bottom team at home.
That would be the reigning premier?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I don’t see it that way. Talent wise I think their list is close to worse in the league. Collins, Miller, king, Anderson and then a massive drop off. I just can’t see them winning many games this year. Come back to this thread in rd24 and we will see who was right lol.
Well, it looks like the messiah got that one wrong. 8-) :mrgreen: :wink:

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 11:45am
Had nothing to do with our pressure

Keep bringing us down.
Not at all. Thought we were excellent in Q2 & Q3. Just think the suns are a really poor outfit. I don't see were all this proven talent is because to me their list on paper isn't much different to North's or the hawk's.