Latest DeGoey Rumour

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Latest DeGoey Rumour

The club has never valued rebuilding the list and has historically looked for quick fixes by dragging in players from other clubs who either couldn't get a regular game, or were good once, but past their prime. Years have been wasted due to stupid leadership and management, and now hopefully the review will make strong recommendations and the club will act on these.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 11:17pm
saintsRrising wrote: Sat 03 Sep 2022 8:19pm Well after watching the Cats/Geelong Final tonight, how could you not want DG in the RWB next year?

He is exactly the type of player that we so sorely lack.

He would make a big difference to our midfield.
Nooo
We already have a highly paid mercenary who came for nothing but a fat paycheque.
Who won't put any pressure, won't chase, goes to jelly when any oppo is nearby.
JDG will be a 2nd version of Hill.
'I'm only here for the money, I'm a star, let the others do the heavy lifting'

NO THANKS
The right quality player can make a difference.

Without Cameron last night the Cats would not have won.

Without DeGoey last night the Pies would not have almost won the game.

Sadly DeGoey will probably not choose us.

Hill by the way cost us dearly in trade. JDG is a FA, as was Crouch. The two would work well together, along with Steele and then our young mids.

Right here and now our list does not lack depth so much, what it lacks most is top-end talent. With more top-end talent we would also get more out of our middle and lower tier players.

Personally what I think the club needs to do is:
- Use our draft picks on the best young talent
- Churn through rookies etc to keep finding overlooked talent like Marshall, Sinclair and Wilkie (Hopefully Hayes will such an example)
- Get the right FA when available. Quality footballer who can play 5 plus years to complement our younger players for many years.
- Not trade or FA in players who will be 30 (or late 20's) . ie Not Lobb or Mitchell.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
B.M
Saintsational Legend

He’s a gun!

And he’s a free swing

It’s a no brainer

I don’t care if he goes to Full Moon parties and snorts cocaine out of someone’s arse crack

All I care about is him being the difference from 11 wins that 13 wins and probably winning us a final

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

$4m vs $1.6.
To me it seems that Jordan is the one with the no brainer decision.
Seems Collingwood have won a few close games but could easily have finished below us if half a dozen kicks had gone in a different direction.
$4m vs $1.6m
Last edited by CQ SAINT on Sun 04 Sep 2022 5:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 04 Sep 2022 10:01am The club has never valued rebuilding the list and has historically looked for quick fixes by dragging in players from other clubs who either couldn't get a regular game, or were good once, but past their prime. Years have been wasted due to stupid leadership and management, and now hopefully the review will make strong recommendations and the club will act on these.
You are right re trading in Hill or adding the likes of Frawley, McKernan etc to the list, but not in the case of De Goey. He is a free agent and still playing dominant football and will for sometime. He is the dynamic clearance midfielder and who kicks clutch goals, someone the club desperately needs.

So IMO paying a few extra $$$ for such a player is a good move by the club. Then hit the draft with the picks they have plus what ever they can get for Hill.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Won’t get FA for Hill

He is 29

Best footy behind him

Tarnished his reputation at StK

Wouldn’t get a pick in the first 3 rounds

happy feet
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 04 Sep 2022 4:28pm $4m vs $1.6.
To me it seems that Jordan is the one with the no brainer decision.
Seems Collingwood have won a few close games but could easily have finished below us if half a dozen kicks had gone in a different direction.
$4m vs $1.6m
Yes, money talks and b/s walks.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Killa
Club Player

Again contributions by certain who have no conception

Firstly, Frawley and then McKernan were short duration (one season) insurance policies as a key defender and as back up for Ryder given Ryder’s Achilles problems

They filled holes in the List, holes which continue absent the likes of Adams and Heath developing as we trust they do

In regards Hill, why is Clarkson making overtures?

Because Hill is class - and he has genuine pace including closing down pace

Templar
Club Player

Perspective.

Collingwood supporters claiming that De Goey's last game was clearly his best game of the year.
26 disposals - 73% disposal efficiency - 12 contested - 3 turnovers

Good game.

How does it compare with Ben Long's last game?
27 disposals - 97% disposal efficiency - 11 contested - 1 turnover

Why is De Goey's last game being lauded but Long's waved off by some on here who appear quite happy to see him traded out?

Also curious what people think who of the two would be most enthusiastic about putting on the red white and black each week?

What would be the right size pay check for each of these players? What would be overs?

Not certain that this is a valid comparison but certainly curious.

If Ben stays on, and I hope that he does, it would be great to see him continue challenging top end of town statistics and courageousness.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Sun 04 Sep 2022 9:13pm Perspective.

Collingwood supporters claiming that De Goey's last game was clearly his best game of the year.
26 disposals - 73% disposal efficiency - 12 contested - 3 turnovers

Good game.

How does it compare with Ben Long's last game?
27 disposals - 97% disposal efficiency - 11 contested - 1 turnover

Why is De Goey's last game being lauded but Long's waved off by some on here who appear quite happy to see him traded out?

Also curious what people think who of the two would be most enthusiastic about putting on the red white and black each week?

What would be the right size pay check for each of these players? What would be overs?

Not certain that this is a valid comparison but certainly curious.

If Ben stays on, and I hope that he does, it would be great to see him continue challenging top end of town statistics and courageousness.
It would be great to see him deliver a decent game more than once every two or so seasons and therin lies the problem.

Maybe Ben finding a new club is best for him and the club.

Templar
Club Player

And there it is.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Sun 04 Sep 2022 9:41pm And there it is.
And is it a coincidence he puts in a good performance in a dead rubber at the same time his manager is shopping him around

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 04 Sep 2022 9:44pm
And is it a coincidence he puts in a good performance in a dead rubber at the same time his manager is shopping him around
Yep

The only conspiracy at the moment is the Club playing Cooper to annoy you.

The connection between cause and effect can be so obvious; especially when no other possible explanations are considered?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Sun 04 Sep 2022 8:07pm Again contributions by certain who have no conception

Firstly, Frawley and then McKernan were short duration (one season) insurance policies as a key defender and as back up for Ryder given Ryder’s Achilles problems

They filled holes in the List, holes which continue absent the likes of Adams and Heath developing as we trust they do

Perhaps in the future you can do people the decency of discussing their posts without the personal insults?

Both McKernan & Frawley were cooked and not up to the level any longer. Why spend 250k per year on crocks, when the club should have been looking to bring in kids or much younger players. You only have to look at the sucess other clubs have had in rookie and mid season drafts, in the time they were on the list.

Hill was a class wingman but Ratten's game style doesn't suit him. For that matter look at every wingman in the league, they all now have the ability the chop out in defence. Hill has the worst defensive game in the competition, which has been horribly exposed with Ratten trying to hide him at HBF.

So I would gleefully trade him if Clarkson thinks Hill can refind his past, because it is no going to happen at Moorabbin.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 04 Sep 2022 10:38pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 04 Sep 2022 9:44pm
Yep

The only conspiracy at the moment is the Club playing Cooper to annoy you.

The connection between cause and effect can be so obvious; especially when no other possible explanations are considered?
Gold.

“Yeah….nah””
1965 Saint
Club Player

A salient point about DeGoey is where has he been for the last 4 years. He stood out in the 2018 Granny, and was fantastic on Saturday. But there’s 4 years in between and i don’t recall many memorable performances during that period

Templar
Club Player

1965 Saint wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 1:08am A salient point about DeGoey is where has he been for the last 4 years. He stood out in the 2018 Granny, and was fantastic on Saturday. But there’s 4 years in between and i don’t recall many memorable performances during that period
Maybe his manager is coincidentally shopping him around?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 04 Sep 2022 11:10pm
Killa wrote: Sun 04 Sep 2022 8:07pm Again contributions by certain who have no conception

Perhaps in the future you can do people the decency of discussing their posts without the personal insults?

Both McKernan & Frawley were cooked and not up to the level any longer. Why spend 250k per year on crocks, when the club should have been looking to bring in kids or much younger players. You only have to look at the sucess other clubs have had in rookie and mid season drafts, in the time they were on the list?

Hill was a class wingman but Ratten's game style doesn't suit him. For that matter look at every wingman in the league, they all now have the ability the chop out in defence. Hill has the worst defensive game in the competition, which has been horribly exposed with Ratten trying to hide him at HBF.

So I would gleefully trade him if Clarkson thinks Hill can refind his past, because it is no going to happen at Moorabbin.
Great post. Ratten's use of Daniel McKenzie and Mason Wood as wingmen has been very very good.

The football department team and coaches at St Kilda prior to Ratts were generally hopeless. Some of their influence may still be part of the problem

Take for example a guy like Jack Billings. I think he had his best year for us in 2019 (predominantly as a wingmen). Why did we need to bring in Hill when we had the talent already on the list (I mean with JB, DMac, maybe Long and even Coffield).

I looked at Billings stats for 2019 and compared them with Hill from 2020. Billings got 50% more of the footy and had double the tackles and 50% more inside 50's than Hill did in 2020

If you compare Hill in 2022 versus Billings 2019 not much difference. With NWM and perhaps with Wood and Dmac and JB all fit I think we can cover the loss of Hill

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... fopt2=2019
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 05 Sep 2022 7:44am, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Take out Duncan, Dangerfield, Selwood, Guthrie, Atkins, Blicavs and Touehy from the Cats and let's see how Isaac Smith goes?

We need quality players who can also win contested footy and can dish it out with accuracy.

De Goey fits the bill and he is a gun with ball in hand anywhere inside the 50 metre arc

We would have been better off targeting this type rather than outside running receivers like Hill

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 1:53am
1965 Saint wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 1:08am A salient point about DeGoey is where has he been for the last 4 years. He stood out in the 2018 Granny, and was fantastic on Saturday. But there’s 4 years in between and i don’t recall many memorable performances during that period
Maybe his manager is coincidentally shopping him around?
Stood out in games that mattterd, IN GAMES THAT MATTER....not a dead rubber because your career is teetering on the brink of being over because you haven't taken your opportunity.

Surely you aren't comparing Long with DeGoey.

Templar
Club Player

My question was about comparative $ value.

What is a realistic paycheck for a player who doesn't usually play for four quarters and who is often described as lazy, but who can sometimes perform well in big games?

And what is the value of a player like Long who generally puts it all on the line for four quarters bringing intensity to a team who can often look lackluster with a brigade of disinterested buy ins from other clubs?

What is the $ value for each of these players?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 11:39am My question was about comparative $ value.

What is a realistic paycheck for a player who doesn't usually play for four quarters and who is often described as lazy, but who can sometimes perform well in big games?

And what is the value of a player like Long who generally puts it all on the line for four quarters bringing intensity to a team who can often look lackluster with a brigade of disinterested buy ins from other clubs?

What is the $ value for each of these players?
If I'm the paymaster the job add says only those capable of delivering final 4 type performances consistently need apply...remuneration will be commensurate on ability to meet this requirement. Ben Long wouldn't make my short list...DeGoey would probably get the job without an interview

Templar
Club Player

De Goey should play a blinder this week given his next 3-5 years depends on it. In a good position to do it too as in a team that has total buy in.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Polled Brownlow votes in 10 of 44 games across 2019-21.

Kicked 3+ goals nine times in that period.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Mon 05 Sep 2022 12:45pm De Goey should play a blinder this week given his next 3-5 years depends on it. In a good position to do it too as in a team that has total buy in.
Just can't see Long delivering what DeGoey did on the weekend in a crucial match in front of 100k at the MCG. At this point in time it's comical we are comparing Long to DeGoey.

Suspect your moral compass is imparing your football judgement.