IF The Board Re-sign Ratten They Should Go

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: IF The Board Re-sign Ratten They Should Go

I am still firmly in the no need to rush signing Ratten and feel out Clarkson camp.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 8:59pm I am still firmly in the no need to rush signing Ratten and feel out Clarkson camp.
I totally agree but I still think it’s done which to me is stupid stuff
Lethlean on radio talking about us over achieving sets the scene as basis to re-sign imo
Media have all been saying club are happy he’s our long term option - they won’t /don’t have the balls to change that
Anyway time will tell

“Yeah….nah””
asiu
Saintsational Legend

It’s be a dull, boring place with only views from club apologists and back slappers but at least you remain objective.
haha

(best i think about that line)

:)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 9:03pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 8:59pm I am still firmly in the no need to rush signing Ratten and feel out Clarkson camp.
Lethlean on radio talking about us over achieving sets the scene as basis to re-sign imo
Media have all been saying club are happy he’s our long term option - they won’t /don’t have the balls to change that
Anyway time will tell
so it's about big balls now Teffers, because you normally just speak in angry meaningless hyperbole I never really understand why you think the board should go or what you think the pass mark is for Ratts keeping his job. care to put some meat on the bone big balls.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 7:32pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 6:46pm Gee, I picked the wrong day to check Saintsational to guage how fellow Saints supporters enjoyed our win last night. It seems that if you did - duck! Teflon has turned up the abuse dial so much the needle has bent.

I gather apart from the coach and the board being safe for another week there is no cause for celebration. And pity help you if you do!
Hello Trevor’s here for the pile on
“How dare Teflon question the club after a miracle 1 win after 3 previous deplorable weeks”
It’s a bit predictable Trevor but carry on
I’m glad you like to gobble up the club rhetoric like you’re little mate Saynta (let’s be honest he’s flat out knowing what day it is..) I don’t
I’m after a dude that gives effort every week
Clearly you’re after miracle one off wins
Whatever floats ure boat
"May I present Exhibit A your honour? The prosecution rests your honour".

Saint supporter since '62
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 11:02pm
Anyway time will tell
so it's about big balls now Teffers, because you normally just speak in angry meaningless hyperbole I never really understand why you think the board should go or what you think the pass mark is for Ratts keeping his job. care to put some meat on the bone big balls.
Following on from the revolutionary new BMTMV ratio that the St Kilda FC is introducing for our draftees ( that's the B.M. Testes Mass Volume test)

...we are also looking at creating new selection criteria for Footy directors and the test will be named in honour of Saintsational Legend; Teflon

It's kind of like the 'eye ball' test that is a phrase often used by our meeting Chair.

After a really productive and brief meeting chaired by Vortex, we've come up with the acronym TSUYB (pronounced 'tube').

TSUYB is short for Teflon's Show Us Your Balls test

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 12:45am
Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 7:32pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 6:46pm Gee, I picked the wrong day to check Saintsational to guage how fellow Saints supporters enjoyed our win last night. It seems that if you did - duck! Teflon has turned up the abuse dial so much the needle has bent.

I gather apart from the coach and the board being safe for another week there is no cause for celebration. And pity help you if you do!
Hello Trevor’s here for the pile on
“How dare Teflon question the club after a miracle 1 win after 3 previous deplorable weeks”
It’s a bit predictable Trevor but carry on
I’m glad you like to gobble up the club rhetoric like you’re little mate Saynta (let’s be honest he’s flat out knowing what day it is..) I don’t
I’m after a dude that gives effort every week
Clearly you’re after miracle one off wins
Whatever floats ure boat
"May I present Exhibit A your honour? The prosecution rests your honour".
Gee Trevor if that’s you’re idea of an “abuse needle” it’s probably best you weren’t around in SS glory days…
I get it …you don’t like the rough and tumble of an anonymous internet footy fan forum…it’s a little overwhelming for you..
I promise I’ll try be a little gentler with you from now on.
Nigh nigh Trevor… (getting in early) hope that’s not to aggressive for you.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 11:02pm
Anyway time will tell
Let me get this right.
You want me to put some meat on a bone so you can then take a look at my big balls???
Odd Vort ..even for you and kinda creepy ..
Now I’m sure there must be a post somewhere where you haven’t yet bashed Sharman as a failed kid after 7 games…so fly my little winged monkey..

“Yeah….nah””
Sanctorum
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:22pm
See this sort of nonsense I have real issue with.
Now the st Kilda players are somehow negatively impacted by the going’s on in the lead up to Spuds game - these are professional AFL footballers is that really your “key point”

Let’s also cherry pick a 2016 Richardson list (even so) would you say that at his disposal at the top of their prime was Riewoldt. Gilbert and co???
Or would you say his 2019 list which had calibre if Longer, Lonie, Newnes, Savage, Dunstan was probably more indicative of what he has list wise ?????
Point is: I’d take Rattens list over that tripe today anyday
I don’t accept your “view” this list is all of a sudden no hood therefore the coach MUST be good
It’s nonsense
The list has holes, sure, but the fact this list has yet to play (last night probably closest tbh) a 4 quarter effort is damming on the coach
The fact this side is bottom 4 AFL fir transition of the footy into attack is damming on the coaching game plan
The fact the ENTIRE team suddenly fell “out of form” for 3 weeks tells me something wasn’t/isn’t right
Last night was great effort - where has it been for 3 weeks ?
Why has it taken all season to realise bombing 1 v 3 out to Max King might not be a good strategy so get him up the ground????
You can let them off all you like I’ve seen enough to know 1 win at St Kilda doesn’t make a winter …
The only thing that is in your word "nonsense" is you harping on Brett Ratten's failures as a coach - it's really sad that even when the team chalks up a great victory, against the odds, massively unfavourable free kick ratio, and at a crucial stage in the last quarter 3 players down and out, you seek to diminish the achievement by carrying on ad nauseum about bad coaching and questioning Ratten's tactical incompetence. Swallow some happy pills mate!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 11:27am
Teflon wrote: Sat 02 Jul 2022 1:22pm
See this sort of nonsense I have real issue with.
Now the st Kilda players are somehow negatively impacted by the going’s on in the lead up to Spuds game - these are professional AFL footballers is that really your “key point”

Let’s also cherry pick a 2016 Richardson list (even so) would you say that at his disposal at the top of their prime was Riewoldt. Gilbert and co???
Or would you say his 2019 list which had calibre if Longer, Lonie, Newnes, Savage, Dunstan was probably more indicative of what he has list wise ?????
Point is: I’d take Rattens list over that tripe today anyday
I don’t accept your “view” this list is all of a sudden no hood therefore the coach MUST be good
It’s nonsense
The list has holes, sure, but the fact this list has yet to play (last night probably closest tbh) a 4 quarter effort is damming on the coach
The fact this side is bottom 4 AFL fir transition of the footy into attack is damming on the coaching game plan
The fact the ENTIRE team suddenly fell “out of form” for 3 weeks tells me something wasn’t/isn’t right
Last night was great effort - where has it been for 3 weeks ?
Why has it taken all season to realise bombing 1 v 3 out to Max King might not be a good strategy so get him up the ground????
You can let them off all you like I’ve seen enough to know 1 win at St Kilda doesn’t make a winter …
The only thing that is in your word "nonsense" is you harping on Brett Ratten's failures as a coach - it's really sad that even when the team chalks up a great victory, against the odds, massively unfavourable free kick ratio, and at a crucial stage in the last quarter 3 players down and out, you seek to diminish the achievement by carrying on ad nauseum about bad coaching and questioning Ratten's tactical incompetence. Swallow some happy pills mate!
So we’ve all gotta get on the Ratten train (or agree with you) otherwise we need happy pills to get high/delusional like you??
No thanks
I’ve acknowledged the win was a gutsy one and the effort was great but cause I’m not all gushing over it like an immature school girl you don’t like that?
Grow up
This club has to be about what we need to do to get the ultimate (premiership) success when I see a game plan that has the hallmarks of being able to deliver that then I’ll get all “gushing” like you
Geezus keep it real FFS even Riewoldt has said the Blues have a better system and Fri was now the minimum benchmark for Saints effort - anything less we should be questioning
Is that really so radical?

“Yeah….nah””
Sanctorum
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 12:39pm
So we’ve all gotta get on the Ratten train (or agree with you) otherwise we need happy pills to get high/delusional like you??
No thanks
I’ve acknowledged the win was a gutsy one and the effort was great but cause I’m not all gushing over it like an immature school girl you don’t like that?
Grow up
This club has to be about what we need to do to get the ultimate (premiership) success when I see a game plan that has the hallmarks of being able to deliver that then I’ll get all “gushing” like you
Geezus keep it real FFS even Riewoldt has said the Blues have a better system and Fri was now the minimum benchmark for Saints effort - anything less we should be questioning
Hysterics are a poor substitute for sound reasoned argument Teflon - call me names and trash my character, that's your prerogative....

Where in any of my comments on this thread have I indicated to you that I'm "gushing over (last Friday night's win) like an immature school girl" ?????

Yes, Riewoldt was correct in saying that Carlton have a better system, but I contend that is in large part due to them having a much more superior player list and even with a lot of players unavailable they still had a lot more A graders on the field than St Kilda.

This has become a tiresome and tedious "back and forth" discussion that is not going to get us anywhere, so I'll vacate the floor to someone better qualified and more mature and "grown-up" than me :D

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

SunnyErnie
Club Player

The biggest issue for St Kilda is to get another 200 cm key forward. As soon as Howard gets injured we are in trouble despite a lot of posters saying he is no good. If Harris Andrews ever becomes available I would ask our top 10 players to take a pay cut and make him an offer too good to refuse

St Kilda should never trade with Essendon and Sydney ever again!!!

NeXus
Crossy66
Club Player

I don't think that signing Ratts or not has anything to do with having balls or lack thereof. You can mount an arguement either way. Clarko is a sacked coach off the back of 36% & 29% seasons. He also had the cattle that Ratts hasn't at this stage got- Franklin, roughy, Hodge, Rioli, Burgoyne, Lewis,Lake, Mitchell, Birchall and many more. Perhaps no one would argue head to head, but with the soft cap', I reckon Leathers thinks that the sum of 3 current staff balances the ledger. Btw, I don't think Leathers or Basset would hesitate if they thought otherwise.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 3:15pm I don't think that signing Ratts or not has anything to do with having balls or lack thereof. You can mount an arguement either way. Clarko is a sacked coach off the back of 36% & 29% seasons. He also had the cattle that Ratts hasn't at this stage got- Franklin, roughy, Hodge, Rioli, Burgoyne, Lewis,Lake, Mitchell, Birchall and many more. Perhaps no one would argue head to head, but with the soft cap', I reckon Leathers thinks that the sum of 3 current staff balances the ledger. Btw, I don't think Leathers or Basset would hesitate if they thought otherwise.
That’s true but everyone forgets Clarkson didn’t have that cattle when he started - he built that side abd a game plan that netted 4 flags
Ratten has had 3 years and we still can’t deliver a transition game plan into forward 50??
I hope you are right re Bassett and co pulling the trigger if need be but I think the deals done
That’s the bit that irks me - some telling games still to be played here..

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 1:44pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 12:39pm
No thanks
Grow up
Hysterics are a poor substitute for sound reasoned argument Teflon - call me names and trash my character, that's your prerogative....

Where in any of my comments on this thread have I indicated to you that I'm "gushing over (last Friday night's win) like an immature school girl" ?????

Yes, Riewoldt was correct in saying that Carlton have a better system, but I contend that is in large part due to them having a much more superior player list and even with a lot of players unavailable they still had a lot more A graders on the field than St Kilda.

This has become a tiresome and tedious "back and forth" discussion that is not going to get us anywhere, so I'll vacate the floor to someone better qualified and more mature and "grown-up" than me :D
I see you ignored my points from previous thread on Richo list u cherry picked from 2016
No matter your whole argument is the list is now all of a sudden poor
You weren’t saying that when we were 8-3
Just like the club the narrative changes to suit the latest performances
Best vacate.

“Yeah….nah””
Sanctorum
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 4:57pm

I see you ignored my points from previous thread on Richo list u cherry picked from 2016
Best vacate.
[/quote]

As much as I want to desist from further comments in this futile debate Teflon, I'm not going to let you get away with falsehoods - you are totally wrong about me "cherry-picking" the 2016 list at Richo's disposal, the year they won 12 games and finished 9th, have a look for yourself, it was a pretty formidable list:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2016/st-kilda

You are also wrong in your assertion that I failed to state that St Kilda's list was comparatively poor when the team was 8-3 at the halfway point this season, I most certainly did, can't find where I posted this on SS but my mates can tell you that this has been my analysis and has worried me all year.

The club is always going to issue public statements that conform with changed situations and circumstances, it's all about lifting morale of supporters and how the club is perceived in the outside world and all footy clubs do the same. I feel sure that you would too if you were walking in their shoes...as I said before, I don't take every pronouncement from the club as gospel.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The list management decisions and the actions of the club are more important than media releases and fluffy pronouncements

At the end of 2021, the club bit the bullet and used all their picks on young guys in the National Draft.

To me, that makes a statement without words needed.

We are not quite ready to be a Grand Final contender or even a top 4 contender

Tom Campbell cost us nothing in draft picks and Jack Hayes was an afterthought. We picked up Hayes in the Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 5:39pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 4:57pm

Best vacate.
As much as I want to desist from further comments in this futile debate Teflon, I'm not going to let you get away with falsehoods - you are totally wrong about me "cherry-picking" the 2016 list at Richo's disposal, the year they won 12 games and finished 9th, have a look for yourself, it was a pretty formidable list:

https://www.draftguru.com.au/lists/2016/st-kilda

You are also wrong in your assertion that I failed to state that St Kilda's list was comparatively poor when the team was 8-3 at the halfway point this season, I most certainly did, can't find where I posted this on SS but my mates can tell you that this has been my analysis and has worried me all year.

The club is always going to issue public statements that conform with changed situations and circumstances, it's all about lifting morale of supporters and how the club is perceived in the outside world and all footy clubs do the same. I feel sure that you would too if you were walking in their shoes...as I said before, I don't take every pronouncement from the club as gospel.
[/quote]

Fair play
You think the list is no good
I think you let them off the hook way too easily
3 years is enough to get done semblance of a forward 50 transition game plan going that doesn’t rely on bombing the ball from 50
You think the club should just put any old statements to “keep morale up”
I think that makes the situation worse and treats members like idiots - don’t announce windows are opening then tell us in the same year we’ve overachieved with this list. It’s confusing and looks totally unprofessional and I doubt does stuff all for membership sales cause people who go to games know exactly where the club is at
And you certainly don’t do it when you know there’s questions (rightly) being asked about why you are signing up a coach when his greatest test against top sides and finals is still to come
Makes no sense …unless you’ve already done it..
Anyhoo thanks for the good discussion I totally disagree with you but that’s ok.

“Yeah….nah””
Crossy66
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 4:49pm
Crossy66 wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 3:15pm I don't think that signing Ratts or not has anything to do with having balls or lack thereof. You can mount an arguement either way. Clarko is a sacked coach off the back of 36% & 29% seasons. He also had the cattle that Ratts hasn't at this stage got- Franklin, roughy, Hodge, Rioli, Burgoyne, Lewis,Lake, Mitchell, Birchall and many more. Perhaps no one would argue head to head, but with the soft cap', I reckon Leathers thinks that the sum of 3 current staff balances the ledger. Btw, I don't think Leathers or Basset would hesitate if they thought otherwise.
That’s true but everyone forgets Clarkson didn’t have that cattle when he started - he built that side abd a game plan that netted 4 flags
Ratten has had 3 years and we still can’t deliver a transition game plan into forward 50??
I hope you are right re Bassett and co pulling the trigger if need be but I think the deals done
I have heard clarko, Kennett talk about what's needed win a flag. Its slot more than just the coach. Saints would have to sack two others to fit in clarko and I think the soft cap' has probably changed club thinking. In any case I reckon he already has his next gig lined up.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 8:56pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022 4:49pm
I have heard clarko, Kennett talk about what's needed win a flag. Its slot more than just the coach. Saints would have to sack two others to fit in clarko and I think the soft cap' has probably changed club thinking. In any case I reckon he already has his next gig lined up.
I agree soft cap is the thing and the club could argue development money is more important than proven, expensive AFL premiership winning coach
The two aren’t mutually exclusive though
A player not learning in an environment where a game structure allows them to play to their strengths won’t help development
I’d argue younger players coming through Hawthorn under Clarkson would’ve learnt plenty and what it also means/takes for ultimate success
I think you’re right he’s not coming to us but I’d like to know the club asked the question before rushing into Brett’s our man to save $

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Gee still going with the false narrative.

SunnyErnie
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sat 25 Jun 2022 10:22pm I know coaches aren’t the answer but after 3 years there is zero system, zero game plan and the coach has to answer for that
We are playing other club rejects and they’re rejects for a reason - Jones, Butler just not up to being your front line midfield they’re stocking filler at best
We MUST talk to Clarkson and out any talk with Ratten on hold
It’s incompetence to re-sign a coach who after 3 years has not been able to put in a system or game plan that stands up
He has to go or at least have signing delayed.
We have the most incompetent board in the AFL

NeXus
spert
Saintsational Legend

The team is playing as they are coached

SunnyErnie
Club Player

spert wrote: Sat 09 Jul 2022 10:44pm The team is playing as they are coached
Correct, but it was the board that gave the coach a 2 year extension. Everyone on this forum knew it was better to wait until the end of the season before making a decision on the coach. But the board knew better

NeXus
SunnyErnie
Club Player

What an embarrassment given Ratts a 2 year extension. Imagine if this occurred in the corporate world?

NeXus