Essendon Game thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Essendon Game thread

saynta wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 10:13pm I am sure the Hill haters on here will be pissed off to learn that Bradly was clearly our best player.
Lit the place up

Go you red, black & white warriors
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 10:13pm I am sure the Hill haters on here will be pissed off to learn that Bradly was clearly our best player.
Not entirely sure there are Hill HATERS.

When he plays average people have issues, particularly considering he is a big ticket item.

If he was performing then perfect

If I ordered a plate of Lobster and one of Hamburgers and they both tasted just a little funky - I would be screaming about the standard of the lobster louder than the Hamburger.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Hill is very important to us. His ability to break the lines, run through the middle of the ground while burning off opponents and then deliver inside 50 is critical. When others are in trouble, hemmed in with nowhere to go, he's the guy who's there running in support, providing the escape route. He was easily our best player last night. He's not there to crash packs.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Devastated for Clark.

Coffield and Clark have had terrible runs with injury and just when they both look like they’re ready to go to the next level.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

ace wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 11:12pm
Banger9798 wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 9:57pm Injury to Clark does not look good....4-6 weeks if he is lucky and its just an ac joint, , 6-8 or longer if humerus head
Right humerus, 1 screw in the right shoulder, part of the humerus to which the tendon that raises and lowers the arm connects
Left humerus, 9 screws and a metal plate, head of humerus shattered into multiple pieces, the French said I needed to have the head removed and a prothesis inserted but Australian surgeon saved.
Both separate skiing accidents.

Smashed humerus head not 4 to 6 weeks would be at least a full season but more likely never play again.
Anterior dislocation of humerus head rather than smashed, which, I agree is a year

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Banger9798
SS Life Member

ace wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 11:12pm
Banger9798 wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 9:57pm Injury to Clark does not look good....4-6 weeks if he is lucky and its just an ac joint, , 6-8 or longer if humerus head
Right humerus, 1 screw in the right shoulder, part of the humerus to which the tendon that raises and lowers the arm connects
Left humerus, 9 screws and a metal plate, head of humerus shattered into multiple pieces, the French said I needed to have the head removed and a prothesis inserted but Australian surgeon saved.
Both separate skiing accidents.

Smashed humerus head not 4 to 6 weeks would be at least a full season but more likely never play again.
Anterior dislocation of humerus head rather than smashed, which, I agree is a year

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 06 Mar 2022 7:12am
Not entirely sure there are Hill HATERS.

When he plays average people have issues, particularly considering he is a big ticket item.

If he was performing then perfect

If I ordered a plate of Lobster and one of Hamburgers and they both tasted just a little funky - I would be screaming about the standard of the lobster louder than the Hamburger.
Hill is one of the most critised players on our list.

Extact from heraldsun.

"The former Hawk and Docker has been much maligned since arriving at Moorabbin on a big money deal but has rediscovered his groove in the back half of the ground for the Saints."

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It’s interesting that Hill has widely been acknowledged as one of the BOG and there has been no criticism of his performance…

And yet the focus now is about his poor form or Hill being maligned

IMO Hill gets marked like every other player as he should. Expectations are higher on him than others but they should be. Certainly gets his dues when he plays well and minus a few poor performances and flat patch… few argue that he’s not clearly top 22 and has been a good addition to the list

I wish this could have just stayed about the match rather perpetuating whatever gripe people want to constantly go back too

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 06 Mar 2022 11:27am It’s interesting that Hill has widely been acknowledged as one of the BOG and there has been no criticism of his performance…

IMO Hill gets marked like every other player as he should. Expectations are higher on him than others but they should be. Certainly gets his dues when he plays well and minus a few poor performances and flat patch… few argue that he’s not clearly top 22 and has been a good addition to the list

I wish this could have just stayed about the match rather perpetuating whatever gripe people want to constantly go back too
This.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Clarke was looking at home in the midfield - we should absolutely see that as a massive positive. He’ll be back in 6 or so according to Ratts. Let’s hope that’s the worst case.

Billings I feel for also, wasn’t having much impact to be fair but he really deserves a run at it injury free

They took the ice off and he was walking reasonably freely at the end of the game. Fingers crossed a strain.

I agree with the posters above. All teams have injuries. We just have prove our depth. We have a reasonably good first 5 or so rounds. Really need to stick to our structures and try and start off at 4-1 or 3-2. That really should be the minimum because the draw gets harder after that.

Lots of positives last night. Thought our movement of the ball looked sharper across longer patches of play than I’ve seen for awhile. A noticeable step up from last season. Also not allowing the overrun. There were times the bombers put on a couple in a row, but on multiple occasions we found a way to get a couple back. This was a real weakness last year so was pleasing to see albeit a praccy match

Sad as I am for Clarke he looked great last night. Was composed, found the ball in good spots and made quality decisions. He’ll be back.

Go saints

#1 Ryder fan
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 10:28pm
terry smith rules wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 10:02pm
desertsaint wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 9:50pm not so bad. a wins a win. good for the youngsters.
a couple of injuries. just gives an opportunity for someone else. neither player is crucial to our success.
So you think both Billings and Hunter are not crucial. Seriously no idea. Both easily in our top 12 players
By default only, because Ryder and Jones are already injured you might add Billings at 14 instead of Ross but I'd give up Billings and Clark before any of these for the rest of the season:

Wood looks more than capable of replacing Billings and while Clark definitely has a future, he is closer to the 17-22 range with
Again WHAT? Hunter has played 60 games, he is set to become a star

What sets him apart, like Dal time often stops around him as he looks for options

A step that is arguably the best in the club

Can break lines and can kick

Just working his way into a midfield role, where by the end of this year he could easily be our number 2 mid

Fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

We’re lucky to hang on but good experience for kids
Think the old problem of ball movement into forward 50 hasn’t been solved
Still got a bit bomby at times and we’re locked off accordingly
Looked a tad slow out of middle and yes we missed Jones but need more strings to the now than that
It’s 1 pre season game but would need to step up considerably based on that against better sides if we want to play finals
Still think main season Bombers will run us off our feet….throw in the usual 4-5 goals from Stringer (he likes playing us) and it might be another tough day at the office against these drug cheating pricks who I detest

“Yeah….nah””
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Moved the ball well, with confidence early then eased off once we showed we easily had Essendon's measure. Not early enough for Hunter unfortunately.

No point in putting everything out there for the opposition at this stage.

Recruits didn't really show much in regard to being ready to go, deers in headlights like at times, but plenty of athleticism to work with. Sharman in cotton wool.

Essendon were serious. We not so much at times, playing the long game.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

13 months ago - St Kilda v Essendon 68 - 143

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 06 Mar 2022 11:33am
skeptic wrote: Sun 06 Mar 2022 11:27am It’s interesting that Hill has widely been acknowledged as one of the BOG and there has been no criticism of his performance…

This.
You haven't worked it out yet, mate?
:roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 06 Mar 2022 2:51pm 13 months ago - St Kilda v Essendon 68 - 143
86 point turn around. Not bad.

Arrogant pricks thought we would be easy beats. Even that Stringer guy stated that he expected his druggies to be in front at half time.
Last edited by saynta on Sun 06 Mar 2022 3:19pm, edited 2 times in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Sun 06 Mar 2022 12:19pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 10:28pm
terry smith rules wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 10:02pm
desertsaint wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 9:50pm not so bad. a wins a win. good for the youngsters.
a couple of injuries. just gives an opportunity for someone else. neither player is crucial to our success.
So you think both Billings and Hunter are not crucial. Seriously no idea. Both easily in our top 12 players
By default only, because Ryder and Jones are already injured you might add Billings at 14 instead of Ross but I'd give up Billings and Clark before any of these for the rest of the season:

Wood looks more than capable of replacing Billings and while Clark definitely has a future, he is closer to the 17-22 range with
Again WHAT? Hunter has played 60 games, he is set to become a star

What sets him apart, like Dal time often stops around him as he looks for options

A step that is arguably the best in the club

Can break lines and can kick

Just working his way into a midfield role, where by the end of this year he could easily be our number 2 mid

Fqf
Oh. You are talking about potential. Im with you now. Potentially, he was very important. Luckily we just drafted a few more with potential.
Clearly, he was going to improve his kicking a fair bit, same with his awareness of what his body can absorb and he was going to pick up an extra 15 possessions a game. I guess he was unlucky, but I wont dwell on it.

damienc
Club Player

Injuries are an unfortunate part of playing the modern game.

No club is immune. When it happens to three of your best you have no choice but to take it on the chin.

I feel for Hunter, Jack and Nick.

But one player's misfortune is someone else's opportunity.

The new talent young and older should take note. There will be opportunity to fast track their careers if they are good enough and that is exciting for them and all Saints supporters.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

We may have lost the Hunter & JB but at least did not wave the white flag to the GCS. BfUSA could have got on with the important aspects of his life knowing Sainsational had gone into meltdown, reactor 4 style, never to recover.

The patchwork quilt that is Geelong may finally fall apart at the seams in 2022 - it's been a long time coming.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 08 Mar 2022 7:49am We may have lost the Hunter & JB but at least did not wave the white flag to the GCS. BfUSA could have got on with the important aspects of his life knowing Sainsational had gone into meltdown, reactor 4 style, never to recover.

The patchwork quilt that is Geelong may finally fall apart at the seams in 2022 - it's been a long time coming.
I like that description of Geelong. Patchwork quilt. May they fall hard.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Always been a Hill lover. I still marvel at his disposal by foot

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 10:19pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 10:07pm Ffs so hunter Clarke gone for a month or two.l, coffield the Sean’s and I am unsure about billing’s. we just can’t take a break.
Besides that kudos to rattan for playing roles to give them a taste and they now know the step up required. But seriously we need a new plan to get the ball into their 50
Most shoulder dislocations require a reconstruction, which will be the end of his season. Some players can play through it with strapping, but I doubt they will risk further injury.
It's not a shoulder dislocation. If it was it would be 6 months. Just ask W.Carey. The Saints site said high-grade AC sprain. There's too much misinformation on this site.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

flack wrote: Sat 05 Mar 2022 8:38pm Supposed to be on Foxtel but not so I'll be ringing the turkeys tomorrow when I've calmed down.
It was also supposed to be on Foxtel Go but someone stuffed up. It was a “human error”. Apology not accepted especially after I was informed that I can watch a replay at 2:50am.

f*** off.

I didn’t need a Reuters fact check for that either.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.