Grant Thomas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Grant Thomas

Teflon wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 11:28pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 10:14pm "I will say this though
GT was worse hit by injury at the wrong time"

Let's not let those little evidence based facts get in the way of the debate.

Before Lyon had achieved the ultimate glory (even before he left the Saints) his best mates in the media were creating a theme to build Lyons stature but he hadn't earned shyte. Anyone can pick up prelim finalists and get close again

I hope Lyon gets the Carlton job. They deserve him and he deserves them. Lyon couldn't give a rats arse if Carlton aren't successful, and he'll be laughing all the way.

I'll bet both my balls and also... Vortex's spare nut that the myths will finally be put to rest if he does get the job (you said you didn't need them Vortex)
Fact checked : No balls on this post found.

Some balls are held for charity
And some for fancy dress
But when they're held for pleasure
They're the balls that I like best
My balls are always bouncing
To the left and to the right
It's my belief that my big balls
Should be held every night

saynta
Saintsational Legend

What an absolute grub of a human being.

From heraldsun.com.au

"AFL News: Ross Lyon in push for Carlton coaching job as David Teague’s future is to be decided

In another pitch for the Carlton coaching job, Ross Lyon has revealed what football department is required at the Blues as a decision on David Teague’s fate looms large.
Sam Landsberger
and Marc McGowan

Carlton should set its sights on soaring into the top four for the first time in 22 seasons next year, according David Teague, as Ross Lyon reaffirmed his desire to coach the Blues.

The two-club coach has kept his hat in the ring in the event if Teague is sacked on Monday.

Lyon on Sunday outlined the ideal football department required at Carlton should he win a third crack at a senior job, although the three-time grand final coach still believed four-time premiership coach Alastair Clarkson was more likely to land at Ikon Park following his departure from Hawthorn on Saturday.

New Blues president Luke Sayers is expected to confirm the worst kept secret in football on Monday and tear up Teague’s contract with a year to run.
Ross Lyon has put his hand to coach the Blues next year if the position becomes available.

It is understood Teague is entitled to a six-month payout valued at around $200,000, which will be counted in Carlton’s football department soft cap.

Sayers’ board has had 11 days to digest the findings from the controversial external review, which is set to trigger widespread upheaval in the football department.

Football boss Brad Lloyd, recruiters Michael Agresta and Paul Brodie and assistants Cameron Bruce, Dale Amos and Brent Stanton are all under pressure to keep their jobs in addition to Teague after yet another underachieving season.

Fitness boss Andrew Russell, development coach Luke Power and list boss Nick Austin are all tipped to survive

The messy fallout has resulted in the Teague and Lyon camps trading barbs after Teague’s manager Liam Pickering scalded Lyon for making “grubby” comments last week when he appeared to publicly position himself for a return to the box.

On Saturday night Teague conceded he was expecting the end would come on Monday.

But the man who has handled a toxic situation with nothing but class declared this year’s 8-14 campaign was sabotaged by injuries and a surge up the ladder into the top four was realistic in 2022

Teague, 40, said multi-premiership coaches Damien Hardwick, Mick Malthouse and Clarkson as well as Brisbane Lions boss Chris Fagan had all reached out to reassure him that the progress made in his 50 games was satisfactory.

“When they mention the path we’re on is normal it does give you some confidence,” Teague said.

The despondent coach said bankable superstars Jacob Weitering, Sam Walsh and Harry McKay had helped sharpen the club’s culture and were ready to steel the Blues for a period of success.

“It’s their footy club for the next 10 years,” Teague said.

“They understand what high performance is.”

Teague lost senior assistant John Barker mid-year and was given little senior support in his two and a half years in charge.

Barker said on Sunday that the Blues’ leaders had offered nothing but “white noise” in recent weeks as Teague was hung out to dry.
Three-time grand final coach Ross Lyon has been at the helm with St Kilda and Fremantle in the past.

Lyon went on the attack on Sunday, adamant he was simply answering questions as a media performer and would not dignify Pickering with a response.

“My situation, being out of it two years, you need to get assistants that are state of the art,” Lyon told Triple M.

“I know people with those capacities that have got all that.”

Lyon said AFL senior coaches also required a strong football boss to pull them into line, highlighting former Sydney boss Andrew Ireland’s control over Paul Roos and ex-Hawks boss Mark Evans with Clarkson, as well as a “really good” fitness expert."

They should say three times losing grand finals coach. What a prick.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

And from the age.com.au

"Pickering, a prominent player agent, also took aim at Ross Lyon and the comments he made confirming his interest in the Blues’ job on Footy Classified on Wednesday night.

Lyon said he had the support of past Carlton players, including Stephen Kernahan, and influential types, with Pickering claiming the former St Kilda and sacked Fremantle coach had already been in discussions with the Blues.

“We have blokes going on television on Wednesday night jockeying for his job. I don’t know what that was from Ross Lyon, it was like a job interview to me. It was pretty grubby,” Pickering said.

“I thought it was a grubby thing, it was a set-up interview. It was pretty poor really.”

Pickering said the Blues should run a thorough a proper coaching “process” if they do away with Teague, pointing out Lyon had bypassed that when he replaced Mark Harvey and was appointed the Dockers’ coach.

“I am 100 per cent [that Ross Lyon has] had dialogue with Carlton already, he was talking very smugly the other night. He didn’t want to be disrespectful to David Teague and then went on a five-minute rant about why he’d be a great man for the job,” Pickering said.

“I get angrier [about] this stuff than [David] Teague does. I don’t think you treat people the way he’s been treated this year. It’s poor.”

Lyon said he would take a call from the Blues but conceded the job would go to Alastair Clarkson - should he want it. The four-time Hawthorn premiership coach finishes his 17-year stint on Saturday and says he is leaning towards having a year off. However, he said a final call would not be made for another fortnight.

As Hawks finale looms, Clarkson’s ‘sincere intention’ is to have a year off

Lyon also declared he is not interested in the Collingwood vacancy, but Magpie insiders have a different spin on this.

A dignified Teague had maintained the party line until Thursday when he admitted he felt let down by Blues’ powerbrokers for failing to back him up publicly while the club completed a wide-ranging external review. He said the Blues had not “nailed” the review process.

That review was tabled by the Blues’ board more than a week ago, but the club has refused to release the findings until after the home-and-away season. The Blues’ final match is against Greater Western Sydney on Saturday night.

The Blues and Lyon did not respond when contacted for comment on Saturday.

New Blues president Luke Sayers is expected to release a summary of the findings within days to the club’s members first in a bid to justify the changes that will be made within the football department, which also has football department chief Brad Lloyd and fitness boss Andrew Russell fighting for their jobs.

The Blues had expected to make the finals this season but recent losses to bottom-placed North Melbourne and a struggling Gold Coast ended that hope. They have a 21-win, 28-loss record under Teague since he replaced Brendon Bolton through the 2019 season. They finished 16th in 2019, although six of their seven wins came under Teague, 11th last year and now sit 13th, with eight wins.

Teague’s biggest on-field issue has been the defensive lapses, where the Blues have too often conceded runs of five or more goals, including 19 straight in a 95-point loss to Port Adelaide last week."

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Just a little foot note., if you are wondering about the true story of Lyin and the filth's coaching position

Luke Ball is on the selection committee.

A case of all your chickens coming home to roost and kicking the fowl house down.

Who said there is no such thing as karma.🤣🤣😂😁😄😇

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 5:38pm Speaking of successful business people, wasn't that Don Pyke's background before he took up coaching?
Pyke was in mining - he founded Seismic in WA and sold it for a bomb

Go you red, black & white warriors
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 11:52pm
I truly wonder what that side with Gehrig, Hamil, Harvey, Thompson , Peckett, Riewoldt, Hayes , Hudgton , Jones, Powell, Ball, Kosi, Maguire, Milne could’ve achieved with a really astute match day coach
How about some facts every now and then when you’re trying hard to sell us your thoughts

Hamill was injured in late 2004 and didn’t play any finals. I think Hamill may have come in for the prelim against Port but he wasn’t 100%. The brilliance of Burgoyne and Wanganeen denied us getting into the GF in 2004 by a bees dick.

Hamill also had a horrid run late 2005 and didn’t play in the prelim against the Swans. Fisher was also out, Peckett out, not to mention others including Kosi (the ‘battler’ as you once stupidly penned) who was one of the most potent big men in the league in 2005.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Reading this thread I thought I’d stepped into a time machine and been transported back to 2007.

Time hasn’t tempered Teffers. 🤣

Don’t worry fella, it will all be sorted when GT buys the club. He may even invite you and Butterrs to the president’s lunch to sit at his left and right side.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 23 Aug 2021 6:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 4:31pm
I truly wonder what that side with Gehrig, Hamil, Harvey, Thompson , Peckett, Riewoldt, Hayes , Hudgton , Jones, Powell, Ball, Kosi, Maguire, Milne could’ve achieved with a really astute match day coach
How about some facts every now and then when you’re trying hard to sell us your thoughts

Hamill was injured in late 2004 and didn’t play any finals. I think Hamill may have come in for the prelim against Port but he wasn’t 100%. The brilliance of Burgoyne and Wanganeen denied us getting into the GF in 2004 by a bees dick.

Hamill also had a horrid run late 2005 and didn’t play in the prelim against the Swans. Fisher was also out, Peckett out, not to mention others including Kosi (the ‘battler’ as you once stupidly penned) who was one of the most potent big men in the league in 2005.
Spot on! There was also the thug Hall hitting Goose with a cheap shot. (What a cowardly bully Hall was)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of stupid
What kind of dead shyte coach takes injured players into prelims?????????
That’s right the one who made up “training services”
Wonder what that Depts “KPIs” were or maybe they were KRAs....or KOs????
Who knows....the Russian weight loss diet had clearly gotten to his brain by that stage ...
Anyway ....failed to get past a prelim is all we need to know ...

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 6:13pm

Spot on! There was also the thug Hall hitting Goose with a cheap shot. (What a cowardly bully Hall was)
Oooohhh that nasty Barry....robbing GT of winning a prelim
Never mind he took underdone players into the game
What a complete cabbage

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 6:13pm Reading this thread I thought I’d stepped into a time machine and been transported back to 2007.

Time hasn’t tempered Teffers. 🤣

Don’t worry fella, it will all be sorted when GT buys the club. He may even invite you and Butterrs to the president’s lunch to sit at his left and right side.

It’s hard work educating the moronic masses but someone has to try !!!
GT buy the club and put on a lunch??? Not likely he’d probably then sue the club for lack of parking for his borrowed Bentley....
Or maybe he could just finally pay back the cool $1m he ripped of Butters in the first place!

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 23 Aug 2021 1:58pm And from the age.com.au

"Pickering, a prominent player agent, also took aim at Ross Lyon and the comments he made confirming his interest in the Blues’ job on Footy Classified on Wednesday night.

Lyon said he had the support of past Carlton players, including Stephen Kernahan, and influential types, with Pickering claiming the former St Kilda and sacked Fremantle coach had already been in discussions with the Blues.

“We have blokes going on television on Wednesday night jockeying for his job. I don’t know what that was from Ross Lyon, it was like a job interview to me. It was pretty grubby,” Pickering said.

“I thought it was a grubby thing, it was a set-up interview. It was pretty poor really.”

Pickering said the Blues should run a thorough a proper coaching “process” if they do away with Teague, pointing out Lyon had bypassed that when he replaced Mark Harvey and was appointed the Dockers’ coach.

“I am 100 per cent [that Ross Lyon has] had dialogue with Carlton already, he was talking very smugly the other night. He didn’t want to be disrespectful to David Teague and then went on a five-minute rant about why he’d be a great man for the job,” Pickering said.

“I get angrier [about] this stuff than [David] Teague does. I don’t think you treat people the way he’s been treated this year. It’s poor.”

Lyon said he would take a call from the Blues but conceded the job would go to Alastair Clarkson - should he want it. The four-time Hawthorn premiership coach finishes his 17-year stint on Saturday and says he is leaning towards having a year off. However, he said a final call would not be made for another fortnight.

As Hawks finale looms, Clarkson’s ‘sincere intention’ is to have a year off

Lyon also declared he is not interested in the Collingwood vacancy, but Magpie insiders have a different spin on this.

A dignified Teague had maintained the party line until Thursday when he admitted he felt let down by Blues’ powerbrokers for failing to back him up publicly while the club completed a wide-ranging external review. He said the Blues had not “nailed” the review process.

That review was tabled by the Blues’ board more than a week ago, but the club has refused to release the findings until after the home-and-away season. The Blues’ final match is against Greater Western Sydney on Saturday night.

The Blues and Lyon did not respond when contacted for comment on Saturday.

New Blues president Luke Sayers is expected to release a summary of the findings within days to the club’s members first in a bid to justify the changes that will be made within the football department, which also has football department chief Brad Lloyd and fitness boss Andrew Russell fighting for their jobs.

The Blues had expected to make the finals this season but recent losses to bottom-placed North Melbourne and a struggling Gold Coast ended that hope. They have a 21-win, 28-loss record under Teague since he replaced Brendon Bolton through the 2019 season. They finished 16th in 2019, although six of their seven wins came under Teague, 11th last year and now sit 13th, with eight wins.

Teague’s biggest on-field issue has been the defensive lapses, where the Blues have too often conceded runs of five or more goals, including 19 straight in a 95-point loss to Port Adelaide last week."
Yes.....Pickering ....what a “clean skin” player manager ... :lol:

Speaking of grubs though...

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 24 Aug 2021 1:11am
I'd reckon there'd be dozens of them in VFL/AFL history, but hey what the hell, some coaches like your hero Tosser even take injured guys into a Grand Final

Fancy thinking that good players don't play with niggles or minor injuries...especially in a prelim.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 24 Aug 2021 1:24am
I'd reckon there'd be dozens of them in VFL/AFL history, but hey what the hell, some coaches like your hero Tosser even take injured guys into a Grand Final

Fancy thinking that good players don't play with niggles or minor injuries...especially in a prelim.
Eddy comes to mind and broken bones. :wink:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I’m pretty sure Gram had a major issue that he played through in 2010 and didn’t Dal hurt himself late in the draw and come back majorly impaired in the replay

There was also an enduring rumour that Riewoldt injured himself in the final training session before the 09 and severely restrained range of movement with one of his arms

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

And don’t forget that Luke Bali’s body was so shot up that he couldn’t get through a whole game of football (apparently) and as such he was benched for the second half of 09

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Didn’t cost us a GF like your love child’s did?
And how would you know how many other coaches play injured players in finals????
Lots of talking out your backend again...
BTW....where’s your little sycophant friend who always follows your posts with dumb grinning smiley faces????

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 24 Aug 2021 6:16pm

Eddy comes to mind and broken bones. :wink:
Oh there he is!!
:lol: :P :lol:

“Yeah….nah””
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Just logged in to find myself in a Teflon tantrum!

Getting out right now. Don't forget your medication.

Saint supporter since '62
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 24 Aug 2021 9:46pm Just logged in to find myself in a Teflon tantrum!

See ya Trev
It’s Tues today btw

“Yeah….nah””
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote: Tue 24 Aug 2021 9:57pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 24 Aug 2021 9:46pm Just logged in to find myself in a Teflon tantrum!

See ya Trev
It’s Tues today btw
The fish are on the bite tonight, eh slippery one?

Saint supporter since '62
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 24 Aug 2021 10:44pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 24 Aug 2021 9:57pm

See ya Trev
It’s Tues today btw
The fish are on the bite tonight, eh slippery one?
Hook, line and sinker Trev!
No bait required....
Too many carp on here (see what I did there??) for my liking
Plenty to leave on the bank .... gasping

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 24 Aug 2021 9:37pm

And how would you know how many other coaches play injured players in finals????
BTW....where’s your little sycophant friend who always follows your posts with dumb grinning smiley faces????
Remember Stevie J in the finals series in 2011?. It’s only been going on for 100 years…

I could also bring up dozens of other examples but I couldn’t be f…ed

Stick to fishing Tef, and stick to your grubby one liners like your grubby Lying hero because it seems like you know sfa about football

…even though you try hard and you’re passionate in defending your predictable pov

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 24 Aug 2021 11:39pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 24 Aug 2021 9:37pm

Remember Stevie J in the finals series in 2011?. It’s only been going on for 100 years…

I could also bring up dozens of other examples but I couldn’t be f…ed

Stick to fishing Tef, and stick to your grubby one liners like your grubby Lying hero because it seems like you know sfa about football

…even though you try hard and you’re passionate in defending your predictable pov
If I know nothing about footy I’d still know more than you
Stevue J success is a long way from your muppet GTs miserable failure time abs again to get us into a GF FACT
Anyway, I was always told never have a battle of wits with an unarmed man...so might leave you there..
Gone fishin...

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 24 Aug 2021 6:48pm I’m pretty sure Gram had a major issue that he played through in 2010 and didn’t Dal hurt himself late in the draw and come back majorly impaired in the replay

There was also an enduring rumour that Riewoldt injured himself in the final training session before the 09 and severely restrained range of movement with one of his arms
Those all cost sides a prelim win?
Players play most games injured
Risking finals with players who can barely impact a game (Hamil) another story ..
Anyhoo

“Yeah….nah””