Locks and openings round 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Locks and openings round 1

What are the odds of this being a fast flowing game vs trench warfare bogged down slog fest?
North got whipped by 82 pts last year in round one by Freio. And it was a flowing game. They didn't have an obvious match up for Ben brown either.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Secret Kiel
Club Player

I think we'll beat North easily. North is in for a rough season or 3.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Pleasing wrote: Tue 14 Jan 2020 5:16pm No doubt by round one half these guys will be our injured but my best 22
Backline:
FB: Geary Howard Wilkie
HB: Roberton Carlisle Webster

I really want Battle and Coffield in but hard to find a spot presume Howard is a lock to start but really haven't seen him play much, if Carlisle Robo and Wilkie play there is no room for Battle perhaps on the bench as swingman but given Ryder and Marshall will share the ruck not sure there is room for another tall. Big risk that Robo doesn't make it back and Carlisle could well spit the dummy after the trade rumours last year. A fit motivated Carlisle could be All Australian a petulant slow Carlisle will struggle to play with the competition we now have for key defense. Savage also deserves a spot after by far his best year last year but Webster at his best is better and more versatile.

Midfield:
C: Hill Hannebury Jones
R: Marshall Steele Ross

Really hope Clark Gresham and Bytel are first choice midfielders by the end of the year but the experienced group will get first crack. Dunstan in the mix as well and Billings on a Wing

Forward Line:
HF: Billings Membury Gresham
FF: Long King Ryder

I presume the 2 rucks will be the starting option, and that only works if one plays forward. I have pumped for Long over Butler Parker and Lonie mostly on potential but I expect all three will get plenty of games.

Interchange: Clark Bytel Coffield Parker
Emergency: Battle Butler Dunstan

Given the two rucks no room for a key position player on the bench so Battle is the one that misses but I presume that fate will intervene and he will be in the 22 most if not all weeks, I was tempted to drop Carlisle to make way for him. Butler probably plays over Coffield and Parker and Dunstan over Bytel but we need to get games into our most talented players ASAP so I am picking the youngsters on the bench. Sinclair Savage Lonie will all get plenty of games Hind Paton will play a fair bit as well
Good post. I'd have Josh Battle at CHF or FF and let young Maxy string a few games at Sandy. Same with J Bytel. I'd give the forgotten man Kent some early games if he's done a full pre-season

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Pleasing wrote: Tue 14 Jan 2020 5:16pm No doubt by round one half these guys will be our injured but my best 22
Backline:
FB: Geary Howard Wilkie
HB: Roberton Carlisle Webster

I really want Battle and Coffield in but hard to find a spot presume Howard is a lock to start but really haven't seen him play much, if Carlisle Robo and Wilkie play there is no room for Battle perhaps on the bench as swingman but given Ryder and Marshall will share the ruck not sure there is room for another tall. Big risk that Robo doesn't make it back and Carlisle could well spit the dummy after the trade rumours last year. A fit motivated Carlisle could be All Australian a petulant slow Carlisle will struggle to play with the competition we now have for key defense. Savage also deserves a spot after by far his best year last year but Webster at his best is better and more versatile.

Midfield:
C: Hill Hannebury Jones
R: Marshall Steele Ross

Really hope Clark Gresham and Bytel are first choice midfielders by the end of the year but the experienced group will get first crack. Dunstan in the mix as well and Billings on a Wing

Forward Line:
HF: Billings Membury Gresham
FF: Long King Ryder

I presume the 2 rucks will be the starting option, and that only works if one plays forward. I have pumped for Long over Butler Parker and Lonie mostly on potential but I expect all three will get plenty of games.

Interchange: Clark Bytel Coffield Parker
Emergency: Battle Butler Dunstan

Given the two rucks no room for a key position player on the bench so Battle is the one that misses but I presume that fate will intervene and he will be in the 22 most if not all weeks, I was tempted to drop Carlisle to make way for him. Butler probably plays over Coffield and Parker and Dunstan over Bytel but we need to get games into our most talented players ASAP so I am picking the youngsters on the bench. Sinclair Savage Lonie will all get plenty of games Hind Paton will play a fair bit as well
This is a good team with good rationale - nice post. However, after attending six training sessions I've attended since late November couple of things to note: -

- Long has trained solely as a half back;
- Webster has not participated in any match sim at all - he's literally just run laps as part of rehab (mainly with Geary). I think you'll find Coffield take this spot for R1 as he's trained in match sim there a lot
- Battle is everywhere in match sim and I find it hard to think that they won't find a way to include him somewhere (my best guess is with half-back in mind in case Robbo has another issue);
- Parker has had ankle surgery and isn't supposed to be running for another fortnight. I'd expect him to miss the start of the season.
- Butler is the interesting one. Ratts is a huge wrap for him and considers him a big piece of the game plan puzzle with his ability to push up to the wings and then "rip back" into the forward line as an out-number both ways. I can see him picked for R1 as a small forward.
- King looks to be everything you'd want in a key forward and starts every match sim drill as the deepest forward. But - I wouldn't be surprised if they ease him in over the first month.

Go you red, black & white warriors
To the top
SS Life Member

I agree that Long will be a very interesting player to observe - and is a "lock" for Senior selection.

He is of the demographic the Coach has put the pressure on to bring competition for spots, to say "You have had your chance and it is our turn now" - and is a leader within that demographic.

All sides will improve for the raft of reasons they do improve - including personnel and development.

I just reckon this will be a very interesting and defining season for St Kilda.

We may (currently) lament that we do not have the likes of a Martin or a Fyffe or a Dangerfield et al leading our mids, but I am of the view the side we should aspire to having on the park is going to be very, very even across the park, with some real talent and that spread of talent will take us far.

I will also be interested to see the development of Ross, Steele and Dunstan because these guys adding layers to their current skill sets will be huge in terms of the development of this side.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

To the top wrote: Mon 20 Jan 2020 4:46pm I agree that Long will be a very interesting player to observe - and is a "lock" for Senior selection.

He is of the demographic the Coach has put the pressure on to bring competition for spots, to say "You have had your chance and it is our turn now" - and is a leader within that demographic.

All sides will improve for the raft of reasons they do improve - including personnel and development.

I just reckon this will be a very interesting and defining season for St Kilda.

We may (currently) lament that we do not have the likes of a Martin or a Fyffe or a Dangerfield et al leading our mids, but I am of the view the side we should aspire to having on the park is going to be very, very even across the park, with some real talent and that spread of talent will take us far.

I will also be interested to see the development of Ross, Steele and Dunstan because these guys adding layers to their current skill sets will be huge in terms of the development of this side.
Yep - although I'm not convinced that there's a heap of upside left in Ross and Dunstan (other than they should become more effective with better players around them). Steele is interesting for me - he's the one we have that I think is most like Lenny - will be a watch as to whether he can elevate from tagger to ball magnet. if he does ... look out.

Go you red, black & white warriors