Still no plan B

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

seano1
Club Player

Still no plan B

We still dont seem to have a plan b for the finals...and if this is so we will be out in straight sets........the guys look tired and worn out playing the current style. And why with both small forwards out why not try Alistar Smith who has some pace.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Yeah, no worries. Just throw a young kid in for his debut in a Qualifying Final against the reigning premiers. He'll be right....

You want to see Smith in ahead of Milne & Schneider? Or even Steven?

The Saints are coming!
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

I don't think this is a good idea, infact it is idiotic.

But didn't Jimmy Gwilt debut in a final against Adelaide? Possibly qualifying also..

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

#1GILL wrote:I don't think this is a good idea, infact it is idiotic.

But didn't Jimmy Gwilt debut in a final against Adelaide? Possibly qualifying also..
No - it was his 3rd or 4th game from memory? Confident that he made his debut against Brisbane @ Etihad, and played reasonably well!

The Saints are coming!
desperados

So is it idiotic or a good idea as per Jimmy Gwilt? Talk about two bob each way! :?:

seano1
Club Player

Why not have played him against Adelaide when we didnt need to win,We had both small forwards out and as it turned out lack of pace and options up forward he may have done something and we need to give these guys a go.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

If Smith is our plan B then we are in trouble.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

desperados wrote:So is it idiotic or a good idea as per Jimmy Gwilt? Talk about two bob each way! :?:
When did I say it was a good idea? Not to mention the circumstances were much different back then. I was just checking if infact Jimmy did debut in a final, and I recieved my answer.

I think it would be idiotic to debut Smith in a final against possibly the best team to ever play, and I will stand by that.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Still no plan B

seano1 wrote:We still dont seem to have a plan b for the finals...and if this is so we will be out in straight sets........the guys look tired and worn out playing the current style.
no team has a plan b. that's because they strive to perfect one style and don't go changing everything for a cut-throat final just because of a bit of indifferent form in games that don't mean anything.

don't get me wrong, friday night will be hard. but a half-baked "plan b" involving hope that a zero-gamer will be a match-winner is not the answer.

supersaints
Club Player

IMO both Geelong and the Saints have spent the last two weeks on tweeking their gameplans.. The pussies have started to dump their over-use of handball, as it brings them undone under extreeme pressure.

We practised Saturday on handball at all times (I think to set up for more run through the corridor. We also deliberantly went without any small forwards.

Ross is no dill, he knows what he is doing...Just wait and see.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
saintly
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:IMO both Geelong and the Saints have spent the last two weeks on tweeking their gameplans.. The pussies have started to dump their over-use of handball, as it brings them undone under extreeme pressure.

We practised Saturday on handball at all times (I think to set up for more run through the corridor. We also deliberantly went without any small forwards.

we hope Ross is no dill!

yes he deliberately went without small fowards, but does anyone know why?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I can see what Seano1 means. Why did.nt we play A.Smith against Adelaide when both small forwards were out? A good point. But it beggars belief that we still have no medium size forward.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Six day turnaround post AAMI for a Qualifier... AS IF we are going to go out and try to pants Adelaide just for the sake of giving a few out of touch supporters a stiffy.

It was a training drill. No more.

Plan's B, C and D don't come into it.

I retain faith that our side lifts for 'must perform' games. Our team's record in such games in the last two years is nothing short of magnificent.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintly
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I can see what Seano1 means. Why did.nt we play A.Smith against Adelaide when both small forwards were out? A good point. But it beggars belief that we still have no medium size forward.
well thats just like hawthorn not having a proper full back for years.

the doggies going small for years.(except this year they picked up Hall)

magpies not having a proper ruckman, butfinally this year went and boght one.

the saints not haveing any fast players to break lines,

we went and bought 2, but only peake is still around. if lovett had not F..d up we ould have 2.

etc etc.

most teams are missing some type of player.

FQF
SS Life Member

saintly wrote:
supersaints wrote:IMO both Geelong and the Saints have spent the last two weeks on tweeking their gameplans.. The pussies have started to dump their over-use of handball, as it brings them undone under extreeme pressure.

we hope Ross is no dill!

yes he deliberately went without small fowards, but does anyone know why?
Appears to me that there were two obvious elements of the game in Adelaide.

1. No small forwards.

2. Handball at all costs.

Fast ball movement favours tall forwards. It encourages long leads, and creativity.
I feel that Ross took out our crumbing options (not to mention they had a few niggles and didn't need to travel) so that we would emphasise the importance of taking full advantage of our talls. Riewoldt and Kosi.

Using this new mindset, with the advantage of the small forwards cleaning up the mess at the same time, will only enhance the tweaked game style.

No team (except Carlton) wants to rely on their small forwards to kick a winning score. So Ross forced the boys to rely solely on Roo and Kosi to win us the game, and the addition of the smalls will only help.

As has been mentioned, the game was 90% a training drill, trying new things that they've been working on on the track.

Result didn't matter, and had Roo converted, the game style would have held up against a very strong defensive team.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote: We also deliberantly went without any small forwards.

Well errr yes...but that IMO had nothing to do with "Plan B Gameplans" or trying something different and everything to do with Milne and Schneider both having minor injuries with only a 6 day break to the Cat's game.

IMO I think this thread is over analyzing what was a practice match where the main goal seemed to be to not get injured.

Come Friday night unless I am very much mistaken you will see a Saints team that is frenetic in it's pressure on the ball carrier.

Body contact and pressure will be ramped up.

Watch the tackle count zoom...and expect Schneider to be very important in our forward structure with goal assists and setting up play..plus hopefully snagging some himself.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
rexy
SS Life Member

No plan B?

If you watched our last 2 games of football surely you saw a massive contrast in playing styles?

Tigers game we kicked more and longer, used the corridor at all costs, took risks and pushed forward with run and spread.

Crows game we posessed the ball with handball, flooded back hard and went wide and backwards looking for short options.

Looked like we tinkered with both game plans in the last 2 weeks to me? Good opportunity to do it as well as both clubs played with heart and really wanted to beat us, so whilst the quality of opposition may not have been high the intensity was.

Maybe this year?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Actually I am more confident of us having a backup plan given we have kicked 100+ the three weeks previous to Adelaide...

If, and that's a pretty big if, plan A doesn't work and we cannot suck the life out of, and restrict our opponent scoring....I like that we can throw all caution to the wind and try to outscore our opponent in a good old fashioned shoot out :wink:

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Plan A - win the flag
Plan B - hold the cup aloft