Armitage - where is he at right now?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DWOODROW
Club Player

JG wrote:sorry,not a fan, way too slow,too high an opinion of himself from what i hear.Send to the Gold Goast If he has any value!
There's alays two sides to the story mate. you should try and say hi to him rather than believe what you here.
I'm not saying anything about his football but he is actually a pretty good guy.
Maybe someone caught him on off day or they were wearing a collingwood jumper. This could explain why he didn't take much notice:wink:

Badlands
Club Player

JG wrote:sorry,not a fan, way too slow,too high an opinion of himself from what i hear.Send to the Gold Goast If he has any value!
Do you feel threatened that you two are competing for the same spot, Jarryn? :)

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
There's alays two sides to the story mate. you should try and say hi to him rather than believe what you here.
I'm not saying anything about his football but he is actually a pretty good guy.
Maybe someone caught him on off day or they were wearing a collingwood jumper. This could explain why he didn't take much notice:wink:
Obviously you're biased and that's fair enough. However I have heard from a mate who was involved with the coaching at Casey Scorpions a few years ago that he is indeed a great fella. Many footballers would come off as arrogant or standoffish, some b/c they actually are, others b/c it's a defense mechanism and they don't have the natural confidence/outgoingness that sits well by constantly being recognised or approached.

Having said all this, it seems like for the last 2 years we are saying it's make or break for Armo. I'm starting to doubt whether he actually has the drive/commitment of say a Sam Mitchell (who I liken him to very much) to actually get there. It's disappointing but that's life. He's played 24 more games of AFL than 99% of society, and I firmly believe without trying to sound patronising to the kid - better to be a good bloke than a gun footballer. Being a good bloke will earn him more respect in the long run. Just a shame he doesn't look like being both.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Moods wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
Obviously you're biased and that's fair enough. However I have heard from a mate who was involved with the coaching at Casey Scorpions a few years ago that he is indeed a great fella. Many footballers would come off as arrogant or standoffish, some b/c they actually are, others b/c it's a defense mechanism and they don't have the natural confidence/outgoingness that sits well by constantly being recognised or approached.

Having said all this, it seems like for the last 2 years we are saying it's make or break for Armo. I'm starting to doubt whether he actually has the drive/commitment of say a Sam Mitchell (who I liken him to very much) to actually get there. It's disappointing but that's life. He's played 24 more games of AFL than 99% of society, and I firmly believe without trying to sound patronising to the kid - better to be a good bloke than a gun footballer. Being a good bloke will earn him more respect in the long run. Just a shame he doesn't look like being both.
I understand were you are coming from and you make a good point but what i don't understnad is some players are played in the team to fulfill a role. These players don't necassarily have great games nor do they contribute to the winning of the match in some circumstances, but they are given the opportunity to proceed and get better by playing more games.
I don't feel Dave has been given enough chances. Some people disagree but that is my opinion. How can you get consistent by having a max of 2-3 games in a row at AFL level then dropped. He needs faith and a bit trust put into him so he can get some confidence in himself.
In saying all of this though, maybe he should start playing more golf and reducing his handi cap. :)

Legendary
Club Player

Need to keep him and play him. Invested too much to give him away, he's too important to our future.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

If he does move on at the end of the year I watch him with interestwrong
DWOODROW wrote:
Moods wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:

I understand were you are coming from and you make a good point but what i don't understnad is some players are played in the team to fulfill a role. These players don't necassarily have great games nor do they contribute to the winning of the match in some circumstances, but they are given the opportunity to proceed and get better by playing more games.
I don't feel Dave has been given enough chances. Some people disagree but that is my opinion. How can you get consistent by having a max of 2-3 games in a row at AFL level then dropped. He needs faith and a bit trust put into him so he can get some confidence in himself.
In saying all of this though, maybe he should start playing more golf and reducing his handi cap. :)
I agree that Armo's role appears more onerous than others when he does play. My feeling is his role is to be an in and under type, provide pressure around the packs and get to as many contests as possible to perform these tasks. I think if he gets b/w 15-20 possessions, combined with about 3-5 tackles and 6-7 contested possessions then he has done his job. He's poss a fraction slow to perform a run with role, and doesn't have the tools to play permanently back of fwd. So it's midfield or bust.

I don't reckon Armo has been treated any more harshly than other fringe players. Eddy and others (including his main rival for a spot - Steven) have been in and out of the team as well. I thought after that Freo game at home it would be Armo's break out game. That last 1/4 was superb and it looked like he had gritted his teeth and realised that it was this sort of effort that was required to make it. I guess I base my opinion of him not having the commitment to make it a lot on that game ironically. I would have thought that game would have given him the confidence to go on to bigger and better things, and the incentive to keep working. For whatever reason it hasn't happened.

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

When Armo first arrived at the Saints he was very friendly to me. Most players are when they first arrive cos they are rapt to have people interested in them and haven't got cynical or tired of the fickle supporters yet. Then often if they don't live up to expectations people start dropping off their bandwagon and I think that gets them a litttle peeved. They seem to put up a wall about that time too. If you work hard to get back in their circle of trust they will respond to you because then they know you aren't just a back patter. If they have become successful then they have heaps of competition for your time plus they wonder are you only being friendly because of what I am. Plus remember not everyone has the personality to be able to deal with constantly being bugged so you can become aloof, don't catch people's eye and only trust your inner circle.
David, as well as many other players are desparate to do well in their careers and are very focussed, they don't have a lot of time for "noise" around them not associated with football.
We'd all love every player to sign every autograph, be gregarious and outgoing and remember your name every time you see them but they ain't.
Dave's a nice chap and I'd love to seem on the dais with a cup in his hands.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
vacuous space
SS Life Member

I don't think Armo is being treated harshly or unfairly. He's just an onballer on a team that doesn't need an onballer, much like Ball last year. We've got BJ, Dal, Joey and Lenny soaking up most of the minutes on ball with CJ tagging and Gram, Peake and Ray playing outside roles. Eddy, Mini and Steven play mostly out of the forward line and Geary plays outside and out of the backline. I think the only spot there that he could take is Geary's, and that would require a shift in the way the coaches want to structure the team.

I don't question Armo's application or his ability to play. I think he'd walk onto at least a handful of AFL sides right now and play well. It's just that he's got to play extraordinarily well to make the team right now. The reality is, he probably does have to play better than the likes of Eddy, Geary or Steven to get a game. It might seem unfair, but it has more to do with what the players bring to the table than anything else. Armo's greatest attributes are things we already have. The others can perform in peripheral areas where we're not quite as strong.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
stinger
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:I don't think Armo is being treated harshly or unfairly. He's just an onballer on a team that doesn't need an onballer, much like Ball last year. We've got BJ, Dal, Joey and Lenny soaking up most of the minutes on ball with CJ tagging and Gram, Peake and Ray playing outside roles. Eddy, Mini and Steven play mostly out of the forward line and Geary plays outside and out of the backline. I think the only spot there that he could take is Geary's, and that would require a shift in the way the coaches want to structure the team.

I don't question Armo's application or his ability to play. I think he'd walk onto at least a handful of AFL sides right now and play well. It's just that he's got to play extraordinarily well to make the team right now. The reality is, he probably does have to play better than the likes of Eddy, Geary or Steven to get a game. It might seem unfair, but it has more to do with what the players bring to the table than anything else. Armo's greatest attributes are things we already have. The others can perform in peripheral areas where we're not quite as strong.
don't agree.....

he is a better player than mini, steven, geary, or eddy ...and all of them get time in the mid field......he's getting the same end of the pineapple that ball got last year.....now ball is about the third most valuable player in a team sitting on top of the ladder....and in a team that values him.....you need to get the f****** ball....ball and ammo are very good at doing just that......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint58
Club Player

Give them heaps ARMO BOG would do fine.
Thanks DWOODROW very interesting post about armo and what his up to.

Tell him I allso wish him to stay at the Saints and be a 10 year player with us.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:I don't think Armo is being treated harshly or unfairly. He's just an onballer on a team that doesn't need an onballer, much like Ball last year. We've got BJ, Dal, Joey and Lenny soaking up most of the minutes on ball with CJ tagging and Gram, Peake and Ray playing outside roles. Eddy, Mini and Steven play mostly out of the forward line and Geary plays outside and out of the backline. I think the only spot there that he could take is Geary's, and that would require a shift in the way the coaches want to structure the team.

Cant agree.

This side desperately needs another on baller.
Luke Ball was offered a contract for that reason.
Armo is a tough in and under mid. We have Hayes and then daylight in this area.

IMHO in the key area of contested ball we have been getting smashed lately - Collingwood have turned this around completely.

A fit, firing and HUNGRY David Armitage who managed to step up with some consistent performances at ANY level is what this club needs. For many reasons we aint seeing it.

Had we had that additional mid our rotations etc become very tough for the opposition and guys like Goddard become true utilities and tough match ups while we get some much needed flexibiity fwd and back.

IMO Lyon would love another mid but we are short and its hurting us.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Cant agree.

This side desperately needs another on baller.
Luke Ball was offered a contract for that reason.
Armo is a tough in and under mid. We have Hayes and then daylight in this area.

IMHO in the key area of contested ball we have been getting smashed lately - Collingwood have turned this around completely.

A fit, firing and HUNGRY David Armitage who managed to step up with some consistent performances at ANY level is what this club needs. For many reasons we aint seeing it.

Had we had that additional mid our rotations etc become very tough for the opposition and guys like Goddard become true utilities and tough match ups while we get some much needed flexibiity fwd and back.

IMO Lyon would love another mid but we are short and its hurting us.
I tend to agree. I suggested Steven a couple of weeks back because I reckon he's going to be a very good player player.

Armo is a similar type to Ball, but still has a long way to go to prove he's as good an in and under.

Hopefully one of them will take it on themselves to press their claims this weekend.

PJ
SS Life Member

Hopefully one of them will take it on themselves to press their claims this weekend.
Armo is possibly the only one on our list (apart from the suspended Mr baker) who can make an impact in terms of shaping our current team. Jack is the future but not ready for the present IMO.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
DWOODROW
Club Player

Well, I hope he goes well today and gets some confidence.
Lyon will have to rely on second hand information as to how he went/goes.

Good luck mate

FQF
SS Life Member

DWOODROW wrote:Well, I hope he goes well today and gets some confidence.
Lyon will have to rely on second hand information as to how he went/goes.

Good luck mate
Will you be watching him? Are you in Melbourne?

If so, feel free to report back here and let us know how well he played.

F_Q_F
Club Player

He must be off to the GC if Eddy is getting a game ahead of him.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

F_Q_F wrote:He must be off to the GC if Eddy is getting a game ahead of him.
he's just coming off an injury, give him a break

DWOODROW
Club Player

Bardon Saint wrote:
F_Q_F wrote:He must be off to the GC if Eddy is getting a game ahead of him.
he's just coming off an injury, give him a break

:lol: :lol: :lol: First game back today after a few weeks.