Time to Mix it up..bigtime.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Time to Mix it up..bigtime.

Gilbert ,Riewoldt to the wing.Kosi to Ruck.Peake to the backline for some rebound.May,be bring in Stanley and or Walsh..we have to go for broke now.We have become far too predictable.

Just do something FFS!!!!

Above all we have to reignite the pressure and intensity at the ball and ball carrier..

Might even be time to sit the boys down as a team and watch last years grandfinal...

EVERY PAINFUL SECOND OF IT!!

If that does't reset their hearts and minds..nothing will :roll:

Come on boys

UNLEASH THE FURY :evil: :x
Last edited by saint patrick on Sat 31 Jul 2010 11:22am, edited 1 time in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Walsh would 1/10 as useful as Lynch was.

Stanley and Jones back in.

Lynch gets another go simply because there ain't nobody else and no one deserves to be measured by that team performance in their first game.

Kosi can no longer cling to a spot. I love the bloke dearly, and he was far from the worst last night, but having watched the replay again, and for all smash and bash and toil at the contest and for all the talk of structural relevance, he's simply being run away from. The structure ain't working and he's the weak link.

Has to reinvent purely as a ruckman. I suspect that's why he was given another two years. Gardi and King are looking close to past it. McEvoy can't do it alone. There can be no other reason why Kosi's been contracted.

And I'm not bagging the guy. He's been a favourite for a long time. But the game is different and there simply ain't the room anymore for someone who can't keep up.

Besides, a la Milne/Dal a few years back, our form warrants a big f****** axe.

Milne simply has to lead as well as crumb.

Roo has to stay forward. No one else looks like a viable target.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Mini comes back

Where is Raph at?

Jones obviously

Kosi for Stanley I'm open to also

Lynch,Dempster,one of Steven/Geary...probably Steven. Despite his 3 goals in the 3rd against Geelong he has done stuff all

Whilst mini hasn't been at his best,at least he provides pressure on the ball carrier,you saw last night what happens when you don't put any pressure on the ball carrier.

Back to 09 basics. No point hitting the panic button at round 18 on the eve of a finals series and turning the side on it's head. Just get back to what made the side a great one

Bring back the Lockett era
Bardon Saint
Club Player

Gilbert looked to be in the middle for part (I dunno, I couldn't keep watching) of the last qtr and looked to do ok.

Duggie
Club Player

I may not have the answer and I wonder if RL has.
All I know is that during the week I posted somewhere on this forum that I feared the Bummers who seem to grow an extra leg every time they play us. I also said we would have to muzzle Momfries. Both turned sour on us last night.
However, we clearly won the second half (a point which all the doomsters have overlooked) So, we lost it in the first quarter and this points mainly to the failure of our much vaunted back line and with the looming departure of SOS the future looks grim.
The Bummers' ability all night to hand or foot pass to an unmarked player showed we were running on empty. The failure to hold marks after getting both hands to the ball was galling (Roo the main offender) and foot passing cost us dearly.
So, what can we expect? There will be the same soul searching that has been applied for decades after similar disgraceful efforts. Hopefully it will result in a return of the clean, snappy play all round that we know they are capable of and which almost won us a flag last year. It may also bring a few changes in the team for next Sunday though I fear that this may be overdone.
As I said, no answers here. Just observations. :lol:
:lol:

A Saint Forever!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Think we have mixed it up too much, could you make any more significant changes to a forward setup in only a couple of weeks?

We have progressively gone from 1.5 talls and sometimes 4 smalls.....to last nights top heavy, 3.5 talls, 2 smalls. :shock:
Last edited by SainterK on Sat 31 Jul 2010 12:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

No1 thing is to get the players to want to play again....

Against the Dons they were just going through the motions.....and when you do that you are dead in the water.

Moving people around when the team has that mindset will achieve naught.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 31 Jul 2010 1:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Spot-on saintsRising! Smacks of a lack of ideas when Lyon just started moving blokes who were ineffective and piss poor around to somewhere else on the field where they could be equally as ineffective and piss poor!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Finna
Club Player

I'd like to see milline play as the main forward as he was when roo was out. Play roo on the ball a bit more and get goodard forward a bit. He always look dangerous there and hasn't been as effective on the ball the last few weeks.

I'd also like to see Stanley come in for kosi as well as an in-form mini to apply that forward pressure.

We're up against it!

We're about to find out what this group is really made of!

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:No1 thing is to get the players to want to play again....

Against the dons they were just going through the motions.....and when you do that you are dead in the water.
Agree with that. Although I reckon they've been just "going through the motions" for much of the year. Hence our lack of scoring in most games and huge drop in percentage from last year. I believe we've had some lucky wins, where teams have beaten themselves against us, beaten more by the thought of playing us, rather than us ourselves. I've gotten the feeling on many occasions that our guys have just been doing what they had to get over the line and that's about all.
Now teams are beginning to realise how much we've dropped off from last year (in intensity, especially) and are no longer scared of us. And why would they be, when they only need to kick about 10-12 goals, if that, to beat us.
I get the feeling our blokes are sick of playing such a dull, boring, predictable, safe, grinding, ultra-defensive brand of footy and our recent performances and lack of scoring have reflected that. Some predicted last year that we wouldn't be able to sustain the intensity of our approach and it looks like they're spot on. Our guys may be sick of it. May have been for quite a while.
Geelong, on the other hand, play a much more free-spirited, exciting, positive brand of footy and they just keep on winning, year after year. And why not? It would be fun and exciting to front up and play for them every week. They'd love it, those supporting them love it, those in the media love it, pretty much everyone loves it. It's no wonder they can keep it up. How many on the other hand, love the way we've been playing the game? Genuinely? I realise many love the fact that we've won a lot, but how many would say "this is the sort of footy I'd like to see every week" if we could play our style, or Geelong or Collingwood's style and get the same results? I doubt many would honestly pick ours. Which may explain the pathetic number supporting us there last night.
It looked like "the shackles were removed" in the last quarter, last night, though and our guys were told to just play on and be attacking and take risks and they seemed to come to life. I realise very few of us were there to witness it first hand, but the difference between the first 3 quarters and last was incredible.
I would usually have left at 3/4 time, with pretty much everyone else (that hadn't left during the 3rd quarter), but had the feeling it would be worth sticking around this time, so we moved to the end we were kicking to and the way they played in the last made it almost worthwhile having to sit through the first 3 quarters (being driven mad by the drivel coming out of the mouth of the guy in front of me, who was also watching the whole game by looking at the screen on the scoreboard through binoculars!). It was exciting and great to watch and our guys looked much more alive and had much more spark. It was, from a pure footy point of view, actually worth watching for once.
We kicked 6 goals (could very easily have been 2 more) and, while Essendon still kicked 4, it was a hell of a lot better than what had gone on in the first 3Q. Or inmany other quarters this year.
This season is quickly slipping away from us, and unless they play much, much more of that attacking, positive style of footy, that they (and we) actually enjoy, it will almost certainly be yet another year of heartbreak for the StK FC. Defence is good, but balance is the key. You need to be attacking and positive as well.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sat 31 Jul 2010 2:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:It looked like "the shackles were removed" in the last quarter last night, though and our guys were told to just play on and be attacking and take risks and they seemed to come to life.
That's what we've got to find every quarter of every week from here on in.

Defend well AND kick a winning score.

We can still win this.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

That's what I'm talking about! Liked seeing BJ forward again at times last night, too. 'Bout time.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Bardon Saint wrote:Gilbert looked to be in the middle for part (I dunno, I couldn't keep watching) of the last qtr and looked to do ok.
He did indeed. I think he got at least one centre break and at least went in hard, like a bull at a gate, which we needed in there. It's just a pity, I reckon, that Ross hasn't tried more of these different moves at times when we've been well ahead, in the past couple of years. Instead, he tends to panic and throw guys all over the place when we're getting well beaten, which is probably not the ideal time (with a game on the line) to find out how they'd go in a particular position.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The defence is going to be better next week. No Dawson apparently.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

That may be a joke, but it is very likely true.