Dempster gave us extra bite

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

Dempster gave us extra bite

i feel very safe when Demster plays across the half back line hes got good pace and can kick the ball a long way he also frees up either gilbert or fisher and if raph has a bad game when he back dempster can play the role

trevor barker
Solar
Saintsational Legend

it actually turned out very well, steven came in as a forward for raph (defender) and dempster as a defender came in for a forward (eddy).

Will need to play down back in the next couple of weeks if we lose baker. Good that we have another option down back.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

stood infront of a Podsially lead and got hammered, was very happy with the commitment from him there.

Carpe Diem
matrix
Saintsational Legend

that was great
he came across a few times and spoilt well, as well

ive always been iffy on SD
if he commits like that every week ill be happy for sure

rexy
SS Life Member

I still dont know if he is best 22 when all are fit, I like his ability to stop and feel comfortable that not often will he be beaten to a contest or in a contest, also he doesnt seem to give away to many frees for a close checking medium defender.

When he has the ball though i dont feel like he is going to do anything particularly good with it, to me like Baker Blake and to some extent Dawson I feel like he will always take the easy safe option which means that he passes on the responsibility to someone who may not have the attacking options that he had himself.

Just not sure that we want to become to defensive minded, at this stage I would say that CJ Baker Blake and Mini are all definate best 22 players with a defensive mind set and defend first roles in the side, would you rather Dempster added to that or Raph added to the attack and run and carry set with Fish Gilbert Gwilt?

Bloody good depth player though.

Maybe this year?
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Dempster did well when he went onto Steve Johnson when Bakes went off injured.

I'm not a massive Dempster fan, but in the wet conditions of last I'm definitely glad we had him playing and not Eddy.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Please resize your avatar- it's too big.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Once he got used to the pace of the game again, Dempster was ok as a fill-in player. He certainly didn't do much (if anything) wrong in his defensive work.

Like some others, I don't think he is in our best 22 when everyone is fit.

He struggled to hold down a spot in our backline last season. Ultimately he couldn't dislodge Raph, and ended up playing a few games at the very end (including the GF) as a defensive forward.

This season, not only is Dempster going to be contending for a spot down back with Raph, but also with Gwilt and Geary. So I can't see Dempster being selected to play down back when everyone is fit.

He could still be selected as a defensive forward, but I rather hope not: I'd rather see more attacking players like Stanley, Steven and even Heyne running around up there.

I realise some posters on here are much bigger fans of Dempster than I am (although I sometimes feel that I'm one of the few people who still think that selecting him ahead of Gwilt for the GF last year was a reasonable call).

I respect Sean as a footballer, but I'm almost see it as a benchmark of how our team is going that the likes of him and Eddy are not getting into the top 22.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

You need quality "fringe" players as you may not have all of youe best 22 either fit or in form comes finals.

Demspter provides back up to:

* CJ asa run with tagger
*Can play on smalls and mediums..so can back up Bakes, Geary, Raph, Gwilt.

So Dempster covers Tagging, HBF or BP.....

Very useful to have.

Whether Dempster is in our out of your best 22 if akll players are avilable will depend on form at the time.

Good depth also provides healthy competition for places = improved team performance.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Unforgiven wrote:stood infront of a Podsially lead and got hammered, was very happy with the commitment from him there.
yeah, actually he didn't even stand in front of it, but left his man at the last minute and made up enough ground to give jimmy g the chop-out. was seventy from goal so wasn't necessarily pivotal but his judgement was excellent.

janator
Club Player

Mr Magic I agree that Avatar is big but because its that good its allowed to be

Eric Bana is the man

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I really liked Dempster being back there. Definately a better player playing in the backline as opposed to that negative forward role we had him playing last year.

I think he did enough to keep his spot to be honest.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!