how times change!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

how times change!

I was thinking during saturday nights game against North, how much the wheel has turned since my first home game @ the dome in 2000 (round 22 against North! :roll: ) I can still see Carey leaning on the goalpost and turning around to smirk at the Cheer squad. We'd squandered chance after chance and surrendered an 18 or 20 point lead and they ran over us in the last quarter. It was Watsons last game in charge and he went down the race without a glance toward the supporters who were applauding him. Burkie came down to the Lockett end and after removing his crash helmet, gave us a speech from the heart apologising to the fans for the wooden spoon and vowing that it will never happen again! I made a vow then too! to put my money into the club and become a member! After all the club needed supporting then more than ever! Any clown can sign up when their side is making finals!
Its a move I have never regretted, and I will (money permitting :roll: ) be a financial supporter of this club until the "great roundup in the sky"
Yes I loved the belting we gave those Roos, but I NEVER forget where we've been and how much work it will take to keep us where we ARE!

(God I love this club!!!!!!!!)

See you @ the Victory Room on Friday!!!!

Love to all

Dave

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Geez...with 15ths in 01 and 02 old Burkey was cutting it a bit fine with the promises, but I get your point nevetheless!

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: how times change!

thejiggingsaint wrote:I was thinking during saturday nights game against North, how much the wheel has turned since my first home game @ the dome in 2000 (round 22 against North! :roll: ) I can still see Carey leaning on the goalpost and turning around to smirk at the Cheer squad. We'd squandered chance after chance and surrendered an 18 or 20 point lead and they ran over us in the last quarter. It was Watsons last game in charge and he went down the race without a glance toward the supporters who were applauding him. Burkie came down to the Lockett end and after removing his crash helmet, gave us a speech from the heart apologising to the fans for the wooden spoon and vowing that it will never happen again! I made a vow then too! to put my money into the club and become a member! After all the club needed supporting then more than ever! Any clown can sign up when their side is making finals!
Its a move I have never regretted, and I will (money permitting :roll: ) be a financial supporter of this club until the "great roundup in the sky"
Yes I loved the belting we gave those Roos, but I NEVER forget where we've been and how much work it will take to keep us where we ARE!

(God I love this club!!!!!!!!)

See you @ the Victory Room on Friday!!!!

Love to all

Dave
Great post Jiggster.

While this forum need not become simply a Saints lovefest, comments such as these sure make a welcome change from the many negative ones others prefer to post.

Lack of a flag aside, we are indeed privileged to be Saints supporters at this point in time :)

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hey thanks Doc, but the OP wasn't to get nominated for a medal. Just my musing on how things can turn around, even when they seem at their darkest. Yes Thinline, Burkie was as you say "cutting it fine", but a lousy run with injuries to key experienced players in 2001, Harvey and Stewart Loewe come to mind as well as a young side with fragile confidence contributed to that poor run. Since 2000 we have made steady progress as a club, and despite some setbacks (of our own making at times) the perception of us as a "flawed" club is being put to rest, but of course we need to re-double our efforts during these periods of relative success in order to prevent a slide back to our past.
I take NOTHING for granted, and still believe that our mantra has to be
"BUILD from victory....LEARN from defeat" Keep our feet on the ground; but keep looking to the heights!!!!!!
I'm ready to risk my heart being broken again, for the chance of glory! who's with me?!!!!!

GO SAINTSGOSAINTS!GOSAINTS!GOSAINTS!GOSAINTS!

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman, you can be assured this place will never be a love fest. You would swear we all followed a different team.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Yes it would seem that way at times St Bev. I guess it shows the many different opinions and priorities that folk have in their commitment to the team. Never stops me visiting this forum though! :lol:

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Was at that game too. At one point Carey waltzed into an open goal and launched a low flying missile over the top of the cheer squad's heads. It went all the way to the back of level one and rattled a sign in the concourse.

howlinwolf
Club Player

Good post Dave. Most of us remember vividly the tough years.

As you say, things change but for the first time I can remember as a
Saints supporter we have a thoroughly professional Club.

From the coaching panel,players, medical staff and the commitee.

This is the most pleasing thing to come out of recent years because
with this the ultimate success will happen.

We have a Club we can be very,very proud of !

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Great post, so well put and the best sentiment!! Im proud to be a sainter fan.
In the bad times I love the saints just as much as I do now.

I agree with Saint Bev, it will be a snowy day in satan's playground before this forum is a love fest :lol:

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
St Michele
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Was at that game too. At one point Carey waltzed into an open goal and launched a low flying missile over the top of the cheer squad's heads. It went all the way to the back of level one and rattled a sign in the concourse.
Won't we all have something to celebrate the day the 'experts' decide what we already know that Nick is a better player than Carey. :D

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

That game in 2000 was the first time I'd gone along to a Saints home game, (after ten years of armchair support) and another meemory that I have is of sitting in front of someone who was giving it to Carey with the verbal abuse bigtime. I've been factory fodder all my life but some of the language made me blush! At quarter-time I said to Eve, "I've got to see who this is" Imagine my gob when I turned to see a little silverhaired lady fussing over two small kiddies, giving out sandwiches and pouring out tea from a thermos! :shock: ..talk about "white line fever" :lol: :lol: (I'm glad she was on OUR side"