Standard of footy commentators..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Standard of footy commentators..

Standard of footy commentators.. And what can be done to improve them.
I still think Tim Lane is one of the best of a bad lot, providing Carlscum are'nt in the match.
The young woman who called a match or two last season seemed to me to be as good as most of them, at least she seemed to know who the players were, but obviou sly she will not be given much of a chance except on maybe weekends where they are trying to promote the AFL /Female relationship.
I cant think of a male commentator who hqas been blooded for years, except the odd recently retired AFL Star, most of whom dont really comentate or call the game, but just give opinions and comments throughout the game.

St Loxton
Club Player

I know what you are saying, it does s*** me the crap they go on with. Not sure how to improve them at exept to watch the game with both neutral eyes open. If it wasnt for the slight delay in the broadcast id listen to the radio, seems most of them are generaly more accurate and descriptive, giving you more than what you see on the tv.

Hunter Clark 2024 StKilda Saints Premiership captain.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Clinton Grybas has left a huge hole...

He was terrific!

jack
Club Player

As a general rule in any sport, I normally find that players that have just finished playing make the best commentators.
They seem to understand modern tactics and give you insights that other commentators and punters like us miss.
As an example I thought that Tom Harley on Friday night was excellent. After a few years they just fall into media street and serve up the same crap as other commentators. An other example that I can think of is Dermot Brereton. When he started as a commentator, I thought he was brilliant. Now he is just another media hack.

when you judge someone,
You don't define them,
You define yourself.
doppler effect
Club Player

jack wrote: An other example that I can think of is Dermot Brereton. When he started as a commentator, I thought he was brilliant.
Agreed. I really liked his insights during commentry. He wasn't a great caller of the game but he could point out things that most other commentators would be blind to. He should really have been a coach.

At least we're still blessed by his presence on Getaway...

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

What annoys me is that they get paid for it and don't keep up to date with the rules and argue with each other about them.

FFS read an up to date rule book and keep the viewers informed, instead of the crap of finding the information several moments later.

Gee, one would think if you are employed to call the football, one of the requirements is to understand all of the rules :idea:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
battye
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:Clinton Grybas has left a huge hole...

He was terrific!
Agreed, he was outstanding.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
saintm
Club Player

jack wrote:As a general rule in any sport, I normally find that players that have just finished playing make the best commentators.
They seem to understand modern tactics and give you insights that other commentators and punters like us miss.
As an example I thought that Tom Harley on Friday night was excellent. Af
I have also found Tom Harley to be a welcome addition so far and it makes a change to think that the expert commentator actually knows more than you do - something David Schwarz never quite convinced me of.

I also like Leigh Matthews but can't quite understand why he has to stand up to deliver his insights from time to time (please drop that Channel 7)!!

Regarding Kelli Underwood, I read recently where she will be calling more games this year - not just a token appearance now and then.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

jack wrote:As a general rule in any sport, I normally find that players that have just finished playing make the best commentators.
i think the expert commentators are by-and-large ok, but the play-by-play is pretty dire. most of the time is setting up jokes and they're not great at actually describing the play. watching the replay from last friday, so often the camera was off the ball and they forgot to tell you what was actually happening.

the obvious occasion which stands out was in the first quarter when medhurst had a shot at goal from about twenty metres on a slight angle. they cut to a replay of the lead up, and then quickly came back - st kilda had the ball and were rebounding from defence! no idea what happened there, and the commentators just said "now st kilda coming out of defence" so obviously they didn't know either. amateur.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Tim Lanes up there with the worst.

Bruce is tired and getting more effeminate by the minute......good luck to him...

Tom Harley is a yes-man commentator.....doesnt really give you his opinion and straddles the fence on anything controversial....

Swarze was terribly bad.
Walls/Blight - outdated.

Quartermaine - so biased to Hawthorn it is not funny and just adds ZERO excitement...

So whose good?

Lets see......

I like Commetti - he can deliver a line and still keep pace with the game.

I dont mind Matthews but agree - drop the stand up bit for special plays etc.....just looks like a bunch of p!ss pots standing round a urinal...

I dont understand why networks dont steal more radio talent.....they are far more educated on the game and actually give you an insight....

For mine ABC radio with Alves etc are miles ahead - actually call the game and discuss footy and leave the cr@p.....BTW Brayshaws a flog.

“Yeah….nah””
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:Clinton Grybas has left a huge hole...

He was terrific!
Sadly, sadly missed. Knew him through work and still makes me very sad. Was working at a sister station when the news came through. Made Fox Footy work with White Line Fever and many other contributions.

My biggest beef is the way that conversations seem to continue when a player may be having a set shot. Also sometimes they keep talking while a snap shot goes through. What happened to the drama of commentary, the excitement of a great mark or a goal. The footy seems to be interrupting the commentary. That has started to creep in to cricket as well when they talk over a delivery, especially when the opposition are batting, and they fail to acknowledge a great shot.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I also get miffed at mispronunciation of particular words such as:

laxadaisical when it is lackadaisical

comrardarie when it is camaraderie

deboo when it is debut (pronounced day-bue)

loris
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:I also get miffed at mispronunciation of particular words such as:

My beef is....... he's (ie he's kicking action) when it should be...... his :x

That ex- Melbourne boofhead Davis Schwartze used to annoy me with the use of he's. Also Leigh Matthews says it a fair amount.......although I do like Leigh's comments.
Last edited by loris on Mon 22 Feb 2010 9:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Tom Harley is just such a great guy! Love his work.

Is Glen Javovich not the worst commentator going around.....He is seriously in another world. He is just awful.

If you listen to them enough - You can tell Healy thinks the same thing.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Now I have Foxtel,and I watched the game at Subi last night....and was thinking the exact same thing! Inspired by the utter deplorableness of Glenn Jackovich and Matt Cambell.....honestly,how do they get a gig?

Cambell called players by there wrong name for half of the match,he's just second rate,manufactured,terrible.

Then there's Jackovich.....overated as a footballer, therefore networks seem to think his opinion matters. Just speaks biased nonsense,and when he does talk about the non WA side it was terrible.
At one stage he was tearing shreds off the Walpari wizard for not giving enough effort in the game...no more than 5 minutes later he said "well you certainly can't critisise his commitment,things just aren't happening for him"...?? I nearly fell off my chair in bewilderment

Bring back the Lockett era
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Agree Spinner, I find WA games hard to watch on Foxtel for that very reason.

I mentioned on another thread, that I like Harley in the special comments role. Ten were foolish to let him go, he comes across as both articulate and likeable. Richo is also going to be very interesting, think his laidback and friendly approach as boundary rider is going to get more out of players than they anticpated giving him.

I like Nathan Thompson on SEN, I think he may be pursuing the calling of games?

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Now I have Foxtel,and I watched the game at Subi last night....and was thinking the exact same thing! Inspired by the utter deplorableness of Glenn Jackovich and Matt Cambell.....honestly,how do they get a gig?

Cambell called players by there wrong name for half of the match,he's just second rate,manufactured,terrible.

Then there's Jackovich.....overated as a footballer, therefore networks seem to think his opinion matters. Just speaks biased nonsense,and when he does talk about the non WA side it was terrible.
At one stage he was tearing shreds off the Walpari wizard for not giving enough effort in the game...no more than 5 minutes later he said "well you certainly can't critisise his commitment,things just aren't happening for him"...?? I nearly fell off my chair in bewilderment
Was going to mention that game but thought I might have been the only person who watched it! Jakovich is the token WA rep but I am sure there are better people than him. Campbell can be good but gets sucked in to the conversation side of the commentary. Healy is ok by me because he is a Saints man. To be fair, the game was rubbish and I reckon they hit the booze at half time to get them through the game!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Now I have Foxtel,and I watched the game at Subi last night....and was thinking the exact same thing! Inspired by the utter deplorableness of Glenn Jackovich and Matt Cambell.....honestly,how do they get a gig?

Yep, Ive come to the realisation that Jackovich might just not be all there......

Healy plays with his head.....Seriously.

Fremantle gets a free for a holding in the contest that CLEARLY wasnt there....

Jackovic: Well done by the Freo player, worked hard for his kick.

Healy: Was the free there thou Jaco?

Jacovich: 100% there.

SILENCE

NEXT BALL UP AFTER GOAL

Healy: Jaco, Wayne just texted in saying if that was a free he would have kicked 10 on you each time.

Jacovich: The games different now Gerard.

SHUT UP JACKOVIC you idiot!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Commentators aside, I just wish to God everyone would scrap the post match onfield player interviews. Bailing up a buggered player for a comment 30 secs after the game finishes is boring vision and nearly as boring sound

"Happy with the boys effort", "Glad to come away with the 4 points", "{opposition team} had a real crack, credit to them"..every freaking game its the same cliches, it brings down the emotion in a close finish 1000%. Stick your camera over the fence and ask a few of the fans how they feel, it would be better TV and the (mostly) delay would let you edit out anything offensive.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:I also get miffed at mispronunciation of particular words such as:

You forgot Tony Shaw's eckspecially :roll: :wink: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

Milan Faletic wrote:
My biggest beef is the way that conversations seem to continue when a player may be having a set shot. Also sometimes they keep talking while a snap shot goes through. What happened to the drama of commentary, the excitement of a great mark or a goal. The footy seems to be interrupting the commentary. That has started to creep in to cricket as well when they talk over a delivery, especially when the opposition are batting, and they fail to acknowledge a great shot.
Couldnt agree more, a few times I have sat back annoyed as a commentator dribbles on while something that needs no words is taking place on screen.
For my 2cents Commetti often cracks me up with his dry one liners. A fair bit of the time though I am so into the game I havent heard what they said

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

About the only one I can tolerate on TV is Cometti. Agree that Jakovic is awful. His WA parochialism is too much. Scott Watters is just as bad - no actually he's worse.

Lane - not a bad commentator so long as Carlscum aren't playing.
Drew Morphett is ok - competent at least.
Apart from Lane, the ABC is the best option for me. Alves, Walls, Jarrod Molloy, Aussie Jones as special comments guys with Morphett, Lane and Whately. They just call the game and talk about footy without trying to make celebrities out of themselves with half-arsed wisecracks.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Don't get me started on Malcolm Blight :x :x :x

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Noone has mentioned Hudson, I think he gets the job done quite well.

Schwass is ok too.

From days gone by used to really enjoy Ian Robertson and easily the worst of all time by some distance

Landy . P

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Watching an old game on channel 72 the other night and HUTCHY was commentating I nearly died. I turned the sound down quite quickly.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."