Rhys Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Solar wrote:was the big impresser for mine. Is playing himself into the round 1 team by the looks of it. Played CHF in the final quarter and gave us someone else to kick to!

8/10!

He also caused a real mis-match by the Pies. With his pace and run they could not match up on him properly.
He was good in patches but he isnt going to play round one.
:( Fun police.

True though, beware NAB Cup form...I remember Charlie Gardiner kicking 3 in R1 NAB Cup a couple years back. Plus, it's Collingwood, probably a good side for the kids to have a run at when you take match-ups into account.
Just trying to educate the uneducated. :wink:
wanker
Let you out of grade school did they? By the way red hair no friends.
I thought I noticed you in the grey jacket offering kids candy when I left school this afternoon

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Solar wrote:was the big impresser for mine. Is playing himself into the round 1 team by the looks of it. Played CHF in the final quarter and gave us someone else to kick to!

8/10!

He also caused a real mis-match by the Pies. With his pace and run they could not match up on him properly.

True though, beware NAB Cup form...I remember Charlie Gardiner kicking 3 in R1 NAB Cup a couple years back. Plus, it's Collingwood, probably a good side for the kids to have a run at when you take match-ups into account.
wanker
I thought I noticed you in the grey jacket offering kids candy when I left school this afternoon
It was white actually.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

8/10!

wanker
It was white actually.
I bet it was after

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
SaintAndrew
Club Player

I liked the look of him. Very promising!

saintnick12
Club Player

Great game. Showed a lot of promise. Look foward to watching him develop.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:He also caused a real mis-match by the Pies. With his pace and run they could not match up on him properly.
if he can learn to use his pace off the mark to lead to the right spots, then look out. pace, height and good hands is a potent combination in a forward. his kicking for goal looks okay, too.

Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

He played much better than I was expecting. Great contested marks from in front under a lot of pressure and from behind. Good "hands"! He really does show "promise" and I will enjoy watching him develop.

I can't see much on TV how he positions himself to receive the ball, or his level of fitness, but I keep remembering him win the MCG sprint at GF, so he has the speed to lead well.

I remember watching them line up before the MCG sprint and thought "what are we doing sending someone so tall into the sprint"? I thought he would finish last, but he did the Usain Bolt act in front of all of us and won impressively.

I certainly hope he gets a few senior games (along with more NAB cup time) this year to give him a "taste" of the AFL.

He looks to be an impressive prospect, but will obviously need to fill out and and increase his aerobic capacity to realise his full potential. It is all in front of him.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Stanley the Manly played a ripper game, lots of upside and a ripper pair of dukes.

Carpe Diem
ace
Saintsational Legend

PaulieGa wrote:Could he be the third tall in the forward line for the time being? He took a few nice grabs tonight.

OR good insurance should one of Riewoldt or Kosi be unable to take the field.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
SaintSimmo
Club Player

ace wrote:
PaulieGa wrote:Could he be the third tall in the forward line for the time being? He took a few nice grabs tonight.

OR good insurance should one of Riewoldt or Kosi be unable to take the field.
lets hope that isnt the case. :)

Sainter for life.
battye
Saintsational Legend

Stanley looks great! I can't remember if he had any shots on goal, but such a strong mark... can't wait to see more of him.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

battye wrote:Stanley looks great! I can't remember if he had any shots on goal, but such a strong mark... can't wait to see more of him.
He kicked a goal, so unless it was an accident, I'd say he did have a shot at goal.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
35...LEGEND
Club Player

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
degruch wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

8/10!

wanker
It was white actually.
I bet it was after

Fair Dinkum :roll:

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Get excited!!!!

This boy is going to be a gun.

saintnick12
Club Player

This is going to sound funny, but he didn't look to be as tall as he is listed as. He was on the flank the right in front of me for a while in the first quarter, and I kept saying to my son," That can't be him, Stanley's tall and skinny". He certainly seems to have filled out a bit already, and it was only when I saw him standing next to Kosi that I was finally prepared to concede he was as tall as stated. Just didn't look that tall. Maybe I was expecting him to look tall and a bit uncoordinated like some of the real talls are when they first come into the game. But he looked a natural to me. Agree with a post by Matrix in another thread...that with his speed and sure hands, he looks more a forward or back in the future rather than a ruck. Maybe alternate between the too. Look forward to seeing more of this kid.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Was the only Saints player to win anything at last years Grand Final.

Must have given him confidence :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Though I did say tonight in another thread that he may now get a few senior games this year...which prior to tonight I was not really expecting.
He definitely showed enough last night to suggest if we get a Kosi/Roo injury, that he could step in and do a job. Very promising performance.

I think a lot of fans knew he had athleticism, but last night he also displayed strength, contested marking, nice kick etc etc. Very promising.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Will play seniors in 2010, no doubt. Maybe the missing 3rd tall for us?

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Stanley was awesome!

What he did was brilliant.....And it does look like they might give him forward experience based on last night....seems i might have been wrong.

Loved his work!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger and solar get a room!!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Tommy who?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

One of the few times a young player did his youtube highlights video justice. Running, jumping, marking.

Very promising.

However, it was obvious how straight line pace and footy pace are totally different things.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:He also caused a real mis-match by the Pies. With his pace and run they could not match up on him properly.
if he can learn to use his pace off the mark to lead to the right spots, then look out. pace, height and good hands is a potent combination in a forward. his kicking for goal looks okay, too.
Indeed! If he's playing forward, how many guys would be able to both stay with him on a lead AND compete in the air? And with his knack of taking hangers, he'll be able to drift forward, when playing in the ruck and take Michael-Gardiner-in-the-last-minute-against-Geelong-in-round-14-last-year type marks.
And we now hopefully have someone who'll be able to stay with the likes of Naitanui and Paddy Ryder in the ruck, which is going to be essential.
He can also seriously kick a footy. I remember seeing him play a VFL game late last year and he had a set shot from outside 50, into a genuine wind and kicked it straight through. The kick would have carried about 60m, into the wind. It was extremely impressive.
The only downside to him is that he's very lightly framed, so it's unlikely he'll ever bulk up much. I hope they don't try to get him to bulk up more than he should, or he'll probably lose that great athleticism and speed.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I'd be playing him (Stanley) and Alistair Smith all year .

They are ready !

Put it this way - they are just as ready as Luke Ball and Riewold and Kosi were when they started.

Why not inject some youth and enthusiasm - mix it up !
Last edited by samoht on Sat 20 Feb 2010 12:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Isnt Stanley a QLD'er ?? If so, that aint good. Dont get too excited. Seriously.