Still mourning... anyone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintHomer
Club Player

Still mourning... anyone?

I don't know if it is just me, but I'm still devastated with last season.

Yes, I know I need to move past it
Yes, I know I need to harden the f#ck up
Yes, I know its just a game
Yes, I know we have 2010 to look forward to

But I really thought we'd win it and like you all, I wanted it so badly.

I have never had so little interest in the offseason (although I was sad to see Ball leave). I'm still in that place where I just don't care.

Am I on my own here?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Yes to your thread title

No......to your question

saint4life
fingers
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:Yes to your thread title

No......to your question
+1 :cry:

St.Dianne
Club Player

Yes (I still haven't recovered from 1997 yet)

SaintHomer
Club Player

St.Dianne wrote:Yes (I still haven't recovered from 1997 yet)
i went to every final in 97, and i was there for the grand final and yet i still didn't feel this crap.

and ironically, this year on grand final day i was in sydney at a stupid friggin wedding.

i thought writing this thread would somehow make me feel better by getting it of my chest.... i was wrong :(

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

During the home and away season I watched each game on Telly. If we were 5 goals up at half time, and the opposition kicked a goal, I would start to feel stressed out, and beginning of angina (chest pain). Even worse if the game was close. Yet for the GF, I was there up in the Gods. And I never really got into the match. I never got excited or stressed. My son and daughter and grandkids that were with me could not understand how I was so cool. Whether the climb up the stairs took tgoo much out of me I dont know. It was like I knew the result before the game started. I remember at the 66 GF I was speechless after the game, I was that emotionally involved. (I had standing room that day.)

If we make it next year I might just settle down in front of the TV and watch it.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Like 97 I dont think I will ever fully recover but I wont let it have any effect on me. You cant move foward if you are looking back

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Saints94
SS Life Member

No im not mourning only for like a week im looking forward and positive and optimistic about next year

Halo-9
Club Player
Location: Giving the fruit loops and powder puff supporters the finger everyday!

still gutted,,,still have the Gf on my IQ box,i do plan to watch it still,just when im ready...
unlike 97 when i never watched another replay of it or turned channells when highlights were on...this one was differant or maybe im more mature now,but we won it except the final result.. :x

cant wait for membership to be released then the new season :)

ST.KILDA are the BEST
So F**K all the REST

*BALLwagon Member #9*

SAINTS LOVE......................SAINTS FOOTY
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Still mourning... anyone?

SaintHomer wrote:I don't know if it is just me, but I'm still devastated with last season.

I have never had so little interest in the offseason (although I was sad to see Ball leave). I'm still in that place where I just don't care.

Am I on my own here?

Same here.... Everyone is fighting on the inside, and its really deep!
Last edited by Spinner on Wed 11 Nov 2009 7:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schillaci
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:During the home and away season I watched each game on Telly. If we were 5 goals up at half time, and the opposition kicked a goal, I would start to feel stressed out, and beginning of angina (chest pain). Even worse if the game was close. Yet for the GF, I was there up in the Gods. And I never really got into the match. I never got excited or stressed. My son and daughter and grandkids that were with me could not understand how I was so cool. Whether the climb up the stairs took tgoo much out of me I dont know. It was like I knew the result before the game started. I remember at the 66 GF I was speechless after the game, I was that emotionally involved. (I had standing room that day.)

If we make it next year I might just settle down in front of the TV and watch it.
My old man struggles to watch Saints games these days...likes to know if we are well in front before tuning in...stresses if watching live, especially if close...also suffers from angina....

He took me to game after game, thumping after thumping during the late 70s-80s and when we started winning more often than not, he stopped watching our games and followed the Saints from a distance....strange yet true.

I will always be forever grateful to him for brainwashing me a "Saint" but wish that he could enjoy our success a little more by watching more of our games.

He asked me to keep him updated on our Bulldogs final as he couldn't watch it...I called him a Softcock and told him to watch it...after our win I told him we lost by a couple of goals...to teach him a lesson....but he already knew the result as he'd checked the scores on the computer.
Following the Saints does strange things to a man.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

One HD was replaying the GF last Saturday, watched it to 3/4 time.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Late afternoon here.

GRAMophone
Club Player

[quote="borderbarry"]During the home and away season I watched each game on Telly. If we were 5 goals up at half time, and the opposition kicked a goal, I would start to feel stressed out, and beginning of angina (chest pain). Even worse if the game was close. Yet for the GF, I was there up in the Gods. And I never really got into the match. I never got excited or stressed. My son and daughter and grandkids that were with me could not understand how I was so cool. Whether the climb up the stairs took tgoo much out of me I dont know. It was like I knew the result before the game started. I remember at the 66 GF I was speechless after the game, I was that emotionally involved. (I had standing room that day.)

If we make it next year I might just settle down in front of the TV and watch it.[/quote]

My experience of the G/F was a bit like yours - I'm usually intensely involved in the game for every second but to be honest, I really couldn't see very well this year [just behind the cheer squad], huddled in a plastic poncho with heavy rain for much of it. Felt much more detached than usual.Actually watched the 3rd quarter on a telly in the concourse.

I find it so hard to have an appetite for next year because - it's pretty hard to improve on this year - we were the best and we were awesome but we didn't win the flag. Kind of wish that finishing on top of the ladder won you the flag sometimes.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Late afternoon here.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
onlooker
Club Player

Re: Still mourning... anyone?

SaintHomer wrote:I don't know if it is just me, but I'm still devastated with last season.

Am I on my own here?
Ditto here too. The wind down from the GF has been minimal. I agree with all the above on what needs to happen but for the life of me I cannot ditch the gutted feeling and look to 2010. I just hope our players and coaches are handling it a lot better than I have been able to do.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Yep. At 3/4 time it was ours to lose ... :cry:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:Yep. At 3/4 time it was ours to lose ... :cry:
hmm...and at half time it should've been ours in the bloody bag :cry:

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah, still shattered to be honest, but only if it gets brought up in conversation. Will certainly never watch a replay, same as 97 & 71.

Dont know if I can bring myself to go to another Saints G.F. Will probably head north to Port Douglas if they make it next year, and watch it in the pub at my favorite holiday spot.

midas_touch
Club Player

Still havent watched a replay of the Grand Final. Probably never will too.....

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
mick13
Club Player

Mentioned in other thread, gets brought up when drunk. Become emotional, cry deeply.... LIKE A BOSS

SaintHomer
Club Player

To those of you who watch a replay of losing grand finals, you're far better supporters than me. Thats something I can't and won't ever do.

Brings back to much pain and too many what ifs!

2010....... pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeee be the year!

spert
Saintsational Legend

The biggest issue for me is the fact that this team had such as stellar season and blew it. It irks me that a few forwards just didn't find that little bit extra -a real disappointment.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Yes, I'm still mourning. The first week after the GF was terrible lying awake at night thinking about all the 'what ifs' that could have happened during the game. I still do think about it now and have not been able to watch a replay of the GF. I don't think I ever will. I have many of the 2009 on a HDD but I haven't watched any of them also. It sounds a little silly given we played brilliantly all season and I should celebrate the brilliance by watching the games but it comes down to that last saturday in september. It is an absolute ruthless game for players and supporters. 1 game! 1 day in the year. The other days of the year are to prepare for this one day. Crazy!

I think the GF will nag at many supporters all through next year only to be quelled by winning the big one in 2010. It has made me more desperate as a supporter, how must the players be feeling? It will make them more hungry, disciplined and resolute.

Lets hope we draft well (as well as we can with our available picks), players at the brink of selection take the next step up (lynch, armo, steven, heyne, other?) and have an injury free pre-season.

Go Saints!

PS. As I live in QLD, I love reading the pre season training reports and seeing the photos. Keep up the good work.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Still shattered, but for the first time in a long time I have faith in the club to become even stronger out that day. And the way Lyon and the club ahve gone about the draft, ball and other things I am even more confident it will happen for us

I love this club