Goose gone ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fingers
Saintsational Legend

I keep having to put emotion aside and rmind myself -club first

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The topic of Goose being delisted was always going to split supporters, as does the real possibility that Luke Ball won't be in a Saints jumper next year.

There are a lot of people who are disgusted that the club has shown disloyalty to a great player who was injured in the line of battle.

And there’s another group who believe he is incapable of ever getting back to a level of form that will see him regularly selected in the 22 and are saying it’s a great announcement.

From my point of view I don't think it necessarily needs to be black & white. Personally I think it's possible to agree that the club has done the right thing while at the same time still regarding it as a very sad moment. I support the whole team and love the Goose however I also crave success & have full confidence in Ross & his team. So I’m sure I’m part of a group, hopefully the majority, who think this announcement was both sad and correct.

All the best Matty.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:The topic of Goose being delisted was always going to split supporters, as does the real possibility that Luke Ball won't be in a Saints jumper next year.

There are a lot of people who are disgusted that the club has shown disloyalty to a great player who was injured in the line of battle.

And there’s another group who believe he is incapable of ever getting back to a level of form that will see him regularly selected in the 22 and are saying it’s a great announcement.

From my point of view I don't think it necessarily needs to be black & white. Personally I think it's possible to agree that the club has done the right thing while at the same time still regarding it as a very sad moment. I support the whole team and love the Goose however I also crave success & have full confidence in Ross & his team. So I’m sure I’m part of a group, hopefully the majority, who think this announcement was both sad and correct.

All the best Matty.
I think the majority share your sentiments spaceman. Not sure too many supporters would be championing the announcement as great news, more inevitable news. Goose has never done anything to offend the saint faithful, and always played his heart out.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:The topic of Goose being delisted was always going to split supporters, as does the real possibility that Luke Ball won't be in a Saints jumper next year.

All the best Matty.
I think the majority share your sentiments spaceman. Not sure too many supporters would be championing the announcement as great news, more inevitable news. Goose has never done anything to offend the saint faithful, and always played his heart out.
You're right Moods. Most of the people here are genuine supporters who love Goose. I was referring more to those moronic haters on facebook who I probably should ignore. My bad.

saintnick12
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Moods wrote:

All the best Matty.
You're right Moods. Most of the people here are genuine supporters who love Goose. I was referring more to those moronic haters on facebook who I probably should ignore. My bad.
Well said. Agreed while ultimately, its probably the right decision, its still a very sad thing for the club and the supporters. However we all want the ulitmate success and if the club believe this is necessary then we will support that. Doesn't stop us being upset about it though. We have to remember that the injury original injury occurred in 2006. Its not as if the club showed him the door the next week. Its been three years and he really still appears to be miles away from making the grade again. The way some have carried on, you would think it was the next week. We were all hoping he would get one more year...but three is a long time to persist with someone who is not able to contribute.

As for Facebook, well I haven't even ventured there yet . As my previous post in this thread stated, while a regular facebook user, I try not to read the comments on the saints topics anymore cos they always upset me....I try to just read the information. I'm sure I'll end up reading it at some stage. I have to try really hard not to argue some of the people there...but honestly some just have no idea and its not worth it.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 5792611214

Check out the solitary comment on this article, seriously, I wonder sometimes :roll:

Schillaci
Club Player

All the best Goose. Sad to see him go and be stranded on 99.
Just got the news in true NZ form...a couple of days behind. 8-)

PJ
SS Life Member

It is interesting looking at our recruiting

Ray - 187cm, Peake - 186cm, Miles (elevated) - 186cm. A lot of mid sized running types.

Goose has no mobility compared to these guys and ross no longer has confidence in him to hold down a key position.

Do we need another back with height and where would he come from? Are any on show in the draft?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
hotdish
Club Player

With Maguire's delisting, the big question remains about backline depth (with Max also gone...)

Its obvious that the saints rate their backs to do the job no matter who is on the park, with the key thing being midfield pressure.

Maguire's delisting does, as others have alluded to, illustrate that the saints are looking for athletic, running backs who have diversity in their game.

I think this signifies that Dempster and Gwilt will play back if there are injuries to Gilbert, S Fisher, Blake, Dawson etc.

rexy
SS Life Member

Mistake IMO

Maybe this year?
To the top
SS Life Member

The article in the H-S is typical of articles printed in that unfortunate, irresponsible and concerning media journal.

So the retirement of Max at age 31 and after an injury riddled season in 2009, the de-listing of Maguire after 3 years of trying to re-establish himself at AFL level (following a severe broken leg then a litany of further complications) and failing and the acceptance that the game Luke Ball brings no longer guarantees him a spot in St Kilda's best 22 (and that could be the result of a physical impairment as well because of Ball playing under the circumstances he played under with the OP) splits the fabric of the club according to some hack who is such an uneducated contributor as to rely on the H-S for column space.

Then you get the responses by the "readers" of the H-S - who probably do not get past the inventive headlines because they need big print to be able to decipher.

The uneducated responding to their fellow uneducated - and the responses heavily censored to pander to the opinions of Chairman Murdoch who is among the most dangerous of individuals on the globe raising division and resorting to name calling as a matter of course.

The danger to the majority of us is that we have this 20% rump in our midst - and that is where the society problems the Murdoch media highlight come from.

You get a concocted 'public debate' about 'hitting' children and the responses Murdoch then publishes from the likes of 'Tatoos' in Sunbury.

So, if the recollection of children is that 'authority' is a physical or threatening verbal response who can blame the child if he/she replicates such behaviour when frustrated by their peers or by others smaller than them?

Where is the debate about educating your children and enjoying the imparting of that education one generation to the next - accross life's many facets, responsibilities and obligations?

Or do we just replicate the errors of the past on the self justification 'I was hit and it did me no harm. Look at me now'. Except we do not look because identities are hidden behind an internet name.

If it did not do harm, why are you responding in such a way giving self justification for what HAPPENDED to you and what you now replicate on others.

So much for the dispicable Murdoch media and its lack of credibility within the wider community.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

WTF are you talking about "to the top"?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
SainterK wrote:My point is that someone has to go, and I think it's poor taste to be flippantly preferring to end someone's career over another...
No no NO!!!

You are completely wrong. What happened to FQF for poor Goose. Our club has no loyalty to its players...the fabric of the club is being destroyed because we delist players.....oh BTW Fishers is a spud and should have been delisted and Raph is the worst player in the history of the universe and should have not only been delisted, but executed.

No - loyalty to our players is gone :wink: :wink: :wink:
What on earth is the "fabric of the club" anyway, is it this weeks catch phrase and I've missed it? :wink:
It's the threads of mateship and going in to battle together that bond the club togher in a coomon friendship and sense of purpose of mutual existance and commeraderie.

I would have thought it was obvious. :roll: :wink:
Milly the walking thesaurus 8-)
erm.. thx for the compliment... but I just googled it. :lol:
I thought google would have been able to spell....the things one learns on here...... :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

don't believe the headline--
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

only training..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
SainterK wrote:My point is that someone has to go, and I think it's poor taste to be flippantly preferring to end someone's career over another...
No no NO!!!

You are completely wrong. What happened to FQF for poor Goose. Our club has no loyalty to its players...the fabric of the club is being destroyed because we delist players.....oh BTW Fishers is a spud and should have been delisted and Raph is the worst player in the history of the universe and should have not only been delisted, but executed.

No - loyalty to our players is gone :wink: :wink: :wink:
What on earth is the "fabric of the club" anyway, is it this weeks catch phrase and I've missed it? :wink:
It's the threads of mateship and going in to battle together that bond the club togher in a coomon friendship and sense of purpose of mutual existance and commeraderie.

I would have thought it was obvious. :roll: :wink:
Milly the walking thesaurus 8-)
erm.. thx for the compliment... but I just googled it. :lol:
I thought google would have been able to spell....the things one learns on here...... :lol:
Spelling mistakes on here are so coomon! :wink: :lol:

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Saintbrat,

from that article that's a nasty typo by the journo when quoting Harves about the replacement of Fev...
"It won't be one guy," he said. "Obviously you can't just replace a guy that kicks the amount of guys that he does.
Not to mention what he does to the girls... :wink:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

just listened to the conferance and didn't note that will listen again
http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/vi ... deoPlayerB

he definitely says goals

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:just listened to the conferance and didn't note that will listen again
http://www.afl.com.au/video/tabid/76/vi ... deoPlayerB

he definitely says goals
Yeah it's just a typo that wasn't picked up I'm sure.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I checked because he had been saying guys a bit and thought it may have slipped in.

maybe the trainee journos are out and about too.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
ace
Saintsational Legend

"It won't be one guy," he said. "Obviously you can't just replace a guy that kicks the amount of guys that he does.

Seems Setanta O'hAilpin showed Harves how it was done and Harves in his role as development coach taught the rest of the Carlton players.
Fev was found to be extremely good at it.

We should expect Carlton to introduce this new tactic in the 2010 home and away season.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:

Seems Setanta O'hAilpin showed Harves how it was done and Harves in his role as development coach taught the rest of the Carlton players.
Fev was found to be extremely good at it.

We should expect Carlton to introduce this new tactic in the 2010 home and away season.
:lol: :lol:

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:What I don't get is that Drain said he would have played against Hawthorn had he not tweaked his hamstring. That was barely a few weeks before the end of the season.

Since then, we've lost a Grand Final and lost one of the greatest defenders in the club's history. You'd have thought there was a spot for him. Extremely disappointing. Reckon this tugs at the fabric of the club just a little bit.

Occasionally - though rarely - you need to reward great clubmen and give them a little leeway because of what they can ultimately offer. Maguire deserved one more year - if he couldn't get it right in that 12 months, then it would have been acceptable to release him.

Sure this decision wasn't taken lightly, but with the club in desperate need of decent, tall defenders, this makes for a bizarre decision.
I pretty much agree with this. Very disappointing news.
We'd better hope that two of our big blokes down back don't miss games at the same time, or we could regret it, like Hawthorn probably did letting Zac go last year.
The club also needs to be careful how they treat those who've given their all for it, or blokes may stop doing so.
Geelong showed how it's done, by practically "carrying" Tom Harley at the end of the year (when he was apparently a "liability") and they came out of it with a flag. We dealt with Max, Goose and Bally (3 of the most courageous and best clubmen you'd ever want to have) in a certain way and we didn't win a flag. No surprises there.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Quixote
SS Life Member

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
evertonfc wrote:What I don't get is that Drain said he would have played against Hawthorn had he not tweaked his hamstring. That was barely a few weeks before the end of the season.

Since then, we've lost a Grand Final and lost one of the greatest defenders in the club's history. You'd have thought there was a spot for him. Extremely disappointing. Reckon this tugs at the fabric of the club just a little bit.

Occasionally - though rarely - you need to reward great clubmen and give them a little leeway because of what they can ultimately offer. Maguire deserved one more year - if he couldn't get it right in that 12 months, then it would have been acceptable to release him.

Sure this decision wasn't taken lightly, but with the club in desperate need of decent, tall defenders, this makes for a bizarre decision.
I pretty much agree with this. Very disappointing news.
We'd better hope that two of our big blokes down back don't miss games at the same time, or we could regret it, like Hawthorn probably did letting Zac go last year.
The club also needs to be careful how they treat those who've given their all for it, or blokes may stop doing so.
Geelong showed how it's done, by practically "carrying" Tom Harley at the end of the year (when he was apparently a "liability") and they came out of it with a flag. We dealt with Max, Goose and Bally (3 of the most courageous and best clubmen you'd ever want to have) in a certain way and we didn't win a flag. No surprises there.

ANP - get f***ed. That is a crap post!! :evil:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote: Do we need another back with height and where would he come from? Are any on show in the draft?
We got one. Tom Simpkin.