Mitch Thorp(e)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

There is definitely an aspect of Hawthorn doing the right thing by Thorpe which many on here have failed to acknowledge.

Roughead and Franklin result in Thorpe being constantly forced out of Hawthorns best 22.

Injuries, attitude and the fact that he would probably dwindle in the reserves for yet another season may be the reasons Hawthorn has let him go in order to ignite a career elsewhere.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:There is definitely an aspect of Hawthorn doing the right thing by Thorpe which many on here have failed to acknowledge.

Roughead and Franklin result in Thorpe being constantly forced out of Hawthorns best 22.

Injuries, attitude and the fact that he would probably dwindle in the reserves for yet another season may be the reasons Hawthorn has let him go in order to ignite a career elsewhere.
They didn't even attempt to trade him, never put him on the table.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Welcome back, hope you had a nice holiday.
Oh, by the way

YOU'RE FIRED

Have a nice day.

Hawthorn, the family club.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Quixote
SS Life Member

^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I would take him with our first pick in the ND.

Provided, of course, his medical comes up all clear.

A serious talent. Attitude problems have a habit of being adjusted after being delisted with a contract in place.

People should not forget that Roo & Kosi are both 27 now, it would not hurt to have a few young key position players coming along behind them.
Last edited by Animal Enclosure on Thu 29 Oct 2009 2:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Spinner wrote:There is definitely an aspect of Hawthorn doing the right thing by Thorpe which many on here have failed to acknowledge.

You wouldnt have a clue on that. i would bet that they certainly tried to trade him.

FraserGehrig
Club Player

Junior wrote:In 2008 I was led to believe that the attitude was in realtion to having a very high opinion of himself.

Thought he should not have been playing at Box Hill.

I know his younger brother and he definatlely has a high opinion of himself

shmic_s
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:

You wouldnt have a clue on that. i would bet that they certainly tried to trade him.
i agree plugger. i heard that his name was thrown around trade week, but no one was interested. imo, maybe clubs knew they could get him cheaper in a weak draft?

goodie
Club Player

ace wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
ace wrote:...Hawthorn must have seen something in him to have taken him ahead of Selwood.
Hawthorn rated Selwood higher, but picked Thorp because Chris Pelchen felt Hawthorn needed a key forward.
If Hawthorn are forgiving enough to let Chris Pelchen keep his job after passing on Selwood, they should have been forgiving enough to put up with any problems with Thorp.

But then Pelchen probably looks at Thorp and thinks, "your presence is the proof of my incompetence, I'll get rid of you at the first chance".
Emma Quayle's The Draft explains why Thorp was chosen ahead of Selwood. Selwood was rated as a greater talent, but he missed almost all of the season with a knee injury. Plus Pelchen believed that unless there was an enormous gap of talent, the club was better off bolstering the spine than looking elsewhere on the ground.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I could rattle off about 50 players off the top of my head that have a high opinion of themselves, have attitude problems, and have ended up being very good footy players...

The entire Luke Ball situation has proved to be that being a nice person doesn't neccessarily account for a happy ending :(
Last edited by SainterK on Thu 29 Oct 2009 4:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:
ace wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
ace wrote:...Hawthorn must have seen something in him to have taken him ahead of Selwood.
Hawthorn rated Selwood higher, but picked Thorp because Chris Pelchen felt Hawthorn needed a key forward.
If Hawthorn are forgiving enough to let Chris Pelchen keep his job after passing on Selwood, they should have been forgiving enough to put up with any problems with Thorp.

But then Pelchen probably looks at Thorp and thinks, "your presence is the proof of my incompetence, I'll get rid of you at the first chance".
Emma Quayle's The Draft explains why Thorp was chosen ahead of Selwood. Selwood was rated as a greater talent, but he missed almost all of the season with a knee injury. Plus Pelchen believed that unless there was an enormous gap of talent, the club was better off bolstering the spine than looking elsewhere on the ground.
Gee, Thorp must be pretty good if there is not an enormous gap in talent between Selwood and him.
Should we get him then, Goodie.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

So, he was a No 6 Draft Pick

He has been in the system for 3 years

He still had a year to run on his contract

Was de-listed 2 days after returning from holidays

That's enough for me to hear alarm bells !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

goodie
Club Player

ace wrote:
goodie wrote:
ace wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

Gee, Thorp must be pretty good if there is not an enormous gap in talent between Selwood and him.
Should we get him then, Goodie.
I'm paraphrasing Pelchen. And he'd probably be worth a punt, but I don't see us getting him.

S.A Saint
Club Player

FraserGehrig wrote:
Junior wrote:In 2008 I was led to believe that the attitude was in realtion to having a very high opinion of himself.

I know his younger brother and he definatlely has a high opinion of himself
i'm sure being delisted and almost missing out on a AFL (if we take him late) his opinion about himself might change from high to fcuk im lucky to be here....

EB
Club Player

His old man didn't help either.

Thought he should have been getting a game ahead of Buddy and Roughie AND should only ever be played at CHF :roll:

Kid can definitely play but he's Damian Cupido the second atm.
Reportedly soft as butter too - doesn't play through any pain whatsoever

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

TROUBLE.........................REAL TROUBLE

DON'T TOUCH HIM!