The mental edge

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

The mental edge

Football is a funny game.

AFL football is the highest standard and all players are elite at what they do, yes even the so called hacks they are elite footballers.

The difference between winning and losing can be so marginal that you just have to be off your game by 5 percent and u'll get smashed.

Make no mistake the Kangaroos played tough hard accountable football today, alot of players trying to impress the new coach knowing that there futures we're on the line.

So u've got a saints team already wrapped up the minor premiership playing against a side that's outside the 8 with players playing for there lives, take this all into account and this might just give the roos the mental edge at the start of the game.

Take away the 1st 23 minutes where it was 32 to 0 we won the rest of the game 59 to 32 and the north pressure was still fierce but it was too late coz we was just off the bit at the start of the game.

Make no mistake going into September it will be a whole new ball game and every saints player will be up and about and on there toes.

September it all starts again and i'm not worried our intensity will left, must be hard to stay up all year especially when u've claimed top spot already.

No more negative thoughts. We must believe

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Sainterman
Club Player

OK, hope you are right, does make sense.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Great post Lenny..sums it up perfectly.

The death of the St.Kilda football club has been greatly exagerated and a tad premature... :roll:

As I said in an earlier post let the Filth,Dogs,Cats and the scum think we are slipping...my guess is in the first 5 minutes of the first final they will realise we are there to play for keeps :twisted:
Last edited by saint patrick on Sun 23 Aug 2009 10:43pm, edited 2 times in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: The mental edge

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:Football is a funny game.

AFL football is the highest standard and all players are elite at what they do, yes even the so called hacks they are elite footballers.

The difference between winning and losing can be so marginal that you just have to be off your game by 5 percent and u'll get smashed.

Make no mistake the Kangaroos played tough hard accountable football today, alot of players trying to impress the new coach knowing that there futures we're on the line.

So u've got a saints team already wrapped up the minor premiership playing against a side that's outside the 8 with players playing for there lives, take this all into account and this might just give the roos the mental edge at the start of the game.

Take away the 1st 23 minutes where it was 32 to 0 we won the rest of the game 59 to 32 and the north pressure was still fierce but it was too late coz we was just off the bit at the start of the game.

Make no mistake going into September it will be a whole new ball game and every saints player will be up and about and on there toes.

September it all starts again and i'm not worried our intensity will left, must be hard to stay up all year especially when u've claimed top spot already.

No more negative thoughts. We must believe
Great post

SaintDebi
Club Player

Well thought out, Lenny, and well said. Good post.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

speaking of mind games:

someone before mentioned positivity- the best way to garner focus and forward thinking and believe in self is to build positivity- not so much today but last week the sound around the ground built belief.

I wonder who has last word to the players- either of field or on field.

is the a final word from someone that is filtering to players- along the lines of 'Don't get hurt' and 'Don't get reported.....' or is it coming from the perceived pressure from below

"if I do get injured, or reported I'll be out and then I wont get back in,"

as I said a few weeks ago- who now has the most important job at the saints- those directing them in believe- themselves and each other and the club psychologist

it's a very fine line between building the pressure to allow for best performance and but still maintaining belief in self-

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
starsign
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:speaking of mind games:

someone before mentioned positivity- the best way to garner focus and forward thinking and believe in self is to build positivity- not so much today but last week the sound around the ground built belief.

I wonder who has last word to the players- either of field or on field.

is the a final word from someone that is filtering to players- along the lines of 'Don't get hurt' and 'Don't get reported.....' or is it coming from the perceived pressure from below

"if I do get injured, or reported I'll be out and then I wont get back in,"

as I said a few weeks ago- who now has the most important job at the saints- those directing them in believe- themselves and each other and the club psychologist

it's a very fine line between building the pressure to allow for best performance and but still maintaining belief in self-
Been theorising on similar lines also

RL hints at the psychology yesterday in Holmesby article "No need for panic: Lyon" on Saints website ,,,

Clearly we’d like to get going a little bit but it’s a marathon. We’re sort of in no man’s land at the minute, aren’t we? I’m not a psychologist but sometimes footy teams are funny beasts.â€

Duggie
Club Player

Yes Lenny I relate to all you say.
The psycho factor plays a huge part. As I said somewhere on this forum a few weeks ago the opposition teams are starting to use our plan of success against us and we do not like it and are falling in to error and disbelief. The question I want an answer to is- 'How come two teams (Bummers and Shinboners) can suddenly outplay us'?
Time is running out and if Ross and Co. cannot come up with a new kind of strategy we will struggle to preserve the title of Flag favourites.
Now the Demons await us. :lol:

A Saint Forever!
starsign
Club Player

Duggie wrote:Yes Lenny I relate to all you say.
The psycho factor plays a huge part. As I said somewhere on this forum a few weeks ago the opposition teams are starting to use our plan of success against us and we do not like it and are falling in to error and disbelief. The question I want an answer to is- 'How come two teams (Bummers and Shinboners) can suddenly outplay us'?
Time is running out and if Ross and Co. cannot come up with a new kind of strategy we will struggle to preserve the title of Flag favourites.
Now the Demons await us. :lol:
'How come two teams (Bummers and Shinboners) can suddenly outplay us'?
you answered your own question I recon....
The psycho factor plays a huge part.