Harden up Joel Corey...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StNoodles
Club Player

Harden up Joel Corey...

Joel Corey is struggling with plantar fasciitis, a foot condition which St Kilda champion Robert Harvey once famously solved by jumping off a chair onto a concrete floor until he snapped the offending band of tissue that runs from the heel along the arch of the foot, thus enabling him to play again.

Balme said he had spoken to Corey about the Harvey method, but said the midfielder had seemed underwhelmed by the suggestion.

Love that story of Harves and his sheer dedication to get out on the park...

goodie
Club Player

Whenever a footballer develops that condition, Harves is mentioned. Made for a great read in his autobiography, wonder what the neighbours would've thought at the time

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Far out.

Harves was tough in so many ways. I struggle to think of any other players that have deliberately snapped a bone to cure a debilitating condition. Amazing stuff. We were so blessed to have watched him all those years.

The Saints are coming!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ouch :shock:

Leo.J
SS Life Member

The G-Train had it also.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Didn't G break it in a match?

I believe Ottens also had it from Geelong.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:Far out.

Harves was tough in so many ways. I struggle to think of any other players that have deliberately snapped a bone to cure a debilitating condition. Amazing stuff. We were so blessed to have watched him all those years.
He may be very tough but I dont think he would even deliberately snap a bone.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

As far as I understand it's not a bone but it is tissue that hardens to become similar to a bone if not monitored and once it gets to that stage you can have an operation on it which would rule you out of footy for a few months, you can wait for it to snap which will impede your ability to run until it snaps or you can go and do it yourself which is what Harvey would do.

And I can tell you Harvey would have gone through the pain of a bone breaking any day of the week if it would get him up for the next match.

I have broken about 20 bones in my life and if it meant getting to play a game with my team that I would have otherwise missed I would be more than willing to take that pain.

However it requires a completely different level of commitment to do it to yourself.

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

As far as I understand it's not a bone but it is tissue that hardens to become similar to a bone if not monitored and once it gets to that stage you can have an operation on it which would rule you out of footy for a few months, you can wait for it to snap which will impede your ability to run until it snaps or you can go and do it yourself which is what Harvey would do.

And I can tell you Harvey would have gone through the pain of a bone breaking any day of the week if it would get him up for the next match.

I have broken about 20 bones in my life and if it meant getting to play a game with my team that I would have otherwise missed I would be more than willing to take that pain.

However it requires a completely different level of commitment to do it to yourself.
Yes, tissue, my mistake.

But the fact that he was willing to inflict pain on himself is amazing. Commitment.

The Saints are coming!
Quixote
SS Life Member

Cheers for that Noodles. I just posted it on B13 for a bit of a laff and because I'm bored. Will more than likely result in me getting bagged for a bit, and that's it.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Batnoe

Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

how do you break that many bones? do you have osteo arthritas?

or are you a maniac on the footy field?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The Krusty Demons must give him a lift to the footy.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:
Batnoe wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The Krusty Demons must give him a lift to the footy.
Just a shocking case of bad luck across a wide range of sports and bike riding.

Also torn ligaments in my knee, elbow and completely buggered my shoulder and had to get a complete reco and have it permantently pinned in place at 15.

Add that to a punctured lung and I have had the worst run, my mates went through a phase were they'd all call me Kosi, because if anything could go wrong it would.

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

That made a superb read in his autobiography.

Was pretty funny how he spent hours in the backyard trying to snap it after the club physio told him he had no chance. He managed to snap it and called up the physio and simply said, 'Done.'

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Can you still buy the autobiography? and how much?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Can you still buy the autobiography? and how much?
Who wrote it?

ace
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
Who wrote it?
Autobiography's by definition are written by the guy in the biography but yes they often have a ghost writer putting the guy's words into prose.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
fingers
Saintsational Legend

I had the condition. Hurts like crazy - couldn't imagine doing what Harvs did.

I am soft.

mick13
Club Player

You sound so much like one of my mates Armoo.

Ended up in hospital after falling off his bike mountain biking one day. Was on a bloody drip!

And yeah, harvey's a gun. just needs to be said. again.

St Michele
Club Player

I have this and it is really painful I can barely walk sometimes so I sympathise with the poor bloke. I have been told if you ice it and roll a golf ball under you foot it helps a bit less dramatic than Harves solution :-)

Michele

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

St Michele wrote: I have been told if you ice it and roll a golf ball under you foot it helps a bit less dramatic than Harves solution :-)

Hopefully Joel gets the news :wink:

Carpe Diem
goodie
Club Player

ace wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
Who wrote it?
Autobiography's by definition are written by the guy in the biography but yes they often have a ghost writer putting the guy's words into prose.
The laidback style and vernacular suggests they are Harves's words, probably transcribed by someone else