Too many weak links and passengers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
The Craw wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:...this idea of making 5 changes after winning 10 is plainly stupid...
I agree.
second that

Gardiner out suspended

Hudghton for R. Clarke
Maguire for Gwilt

Milne in, if he's ready

That's four changes without even blinking or perhaps you all prefer Hudghton and Maguire to play out the rest of the year for Sandringham!

10-0 is a fools paradise if we rest on our laurels and rely on the herculean efforts of some to continue to carry others.

I'd add in

Armitage for Baker
What would happen if all those changes were made and we dropped a few games?

I'm inclined to think if it aint broke, dont fix it.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

Gardiner out suspended
thats one
barks4eva wrote:Hudghton for R. Clarke
Nope - wrecks our flexibility. Max is one dimensional

Still only one
barks4eva wrote:Maguire for Gwilt
Mabye. But why change a winning team for a player who hasn't played seniors since 2008???

So one certain and a mabye
barks4eva wrote:Milne in, if he's ready
tiprat needs to come in but for who? Gram? Mabye Gwilt. therefore Goose misse out

Possibly two changes - no more
barks4eva wrote:That's four changes without even blinking or perhaps you all prefer Hudghton and Maguire to play out the rest of the year for Sandringham!
If we keep winning I dont care if they dont play all year. I prefer a premiership to having a couple of names waltz into a winning team.
barks4eva wrote:10-0 is a fools paradise if we rest on our laurels and rely on the herculean efforts of some to continue to carry others.
Yes, much prefer the comfortable reality of the other 14 teams.

We need to up the ante a bit but wholesale changes is ludricrous.

barks4eva wrote:I'd add in

Armitage for Baker
So you want five changes to a team that has won 10-0.

Will you GUARANTEE that we will win games with those five changes???

And remember the onus of proof is on you, that completely wrecking the team morale and dynamic will bring about a better position of No.1 on the ladder with a %of 183.

So how will you guarnatee that barks? I can guarantee that the team we have fielded for the past ten games have won all ten, and until they lose one, I will continue to support the players, not critisise them.

Well done Saints for such an outstanding start to the season. Keep it up.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
The Craw wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:...this idea of making 5 changes after winning 10 is plainly stupid...
I agree.
second that

Gardiner out suspended

Hudghton for R. Clarke
Maguire for Gwilt

Milne in, if he's ready

That's four changes without even blinking or perhaps you all prefer Hudghton and Maguire to play out the rest of the year for Sandringham!

10-0 is a fools paradise if we rest on our laurels and rely on the herculean efforts of some to continue to carry others.

I'd add in

Armitage for Baker
Oh, but didn't you know that with all the weak links and passengers, we are bound to drop one soon enough anyway...

Milton66
SS Life Member

If we want to take this argument to it's logical conclusion, then let's drop Ball for Armo.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
markp
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
markp wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
The Craw wrote:
Leo.J wrote:
I agree.
second that

Gardiner out suspended

Hudghton for R. Clarke
Maguire for Gwilt

Milne in, if he's ready

I'd add in

Armitage for Baker
Oh, but didn't you know that with all the weak links and passengers, we are bound to drop one soon enough anyway...
Yup, indeed....

Seems to me that CJ became CJ because of the faith shown and time invested in him.... we know what Raph can do, and I think Gwilt is solid and has improvement in him.

It's a team sport, and team continuity and cohesion is everything.

Should the Happy Mondays have dropped Bez???

DWOODROW
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:If we want to take this argument to it's logical conclusion, then let's drop Ball for Armo.
Why is that such a laughable comment. It nearly happened a few weeks ago. :roll:

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

markp wrote:Yup, indeed....

Seems to me that CJ became CJ because of the faith shown and time invested in him.... we know what Raph can do, and I think Gwilt is solid and has improvement in him.

Exactly, and Teflon missed a comparison - Ling/C Jones. Jones may not have the body weight to throw around at stoppages, but his track record this year of shutting down opponents while still contributing has to be one of the best in the comp - including Ling.

Give the kids a go? We already are!

Gwilt has a grand total of 36 games to his name. Raph has 44.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Craw wrote:
Teflon wrote:
I get amazed at these posts.

Its like saying "dont talk about the weather cause you cant do anything about it....."....plenty still like to talk about the weather.....so what?

This is a footy site - full of passionate saints fans all with differing views right or wrong they are entitled to it.
Not quite sure why you would be amazed. Perfectionist has offered their opinion. I really cannot see where they have had a go at anyone else except to say that they cannot understand why you would want to change the team.

Suffice to say, because it does not come into line with your view therefore of course you would be amazed, you are the self appointed guru.

I shall await for permission to post again oh exulted one.
Permission granted oh insulted one.

Perefectionist downplayed everyone else view of team changes as them purely wanting to see "pin up players" in the team. Thats an insult to anyone else offering a view IMHO. I dont want to see "pin up" players I, and many others, put forward a view on what I thought would improve us - nothing more/less. Happy to agree/disagree on the merits of that......but why the need for the disparaging comments?

If you wanna take "exalted status's" up with anyone you might wanna go back and re-read the post and not quote the half of it that suits "your line of view" grasshopper.

Guru out.

“Yeah….nah””
saintly
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:In my opinion, the most intrigueing selection decision this week will be who to replace Gardiner with? McEvoy, who has been tried twice with little reward, or Stanley, who was close to B.O.G. with the Zebras on Sunday.
Mcevoy has only had 2 lousy games one last year where he did not play well and one this year where he was fine - 15 possesssions, a number of hitouts. so why not play him him instead of gardiner.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I think the weekend's game showed how much we miss Milney. Talk about "X" factor. He is one player on our list who can consistently do the unexpected and extraordinary. I'm a long-term fan of Milne and hate the way he is underrated and ignored by so-called experts in the media. His record over 9 seasons passes any reasonable test. More goals last year than the worst "All-Australian" selection in history in Medhurst. Better goals per game career average than the much worshipped Leon Davis. About 270 career goals ahead of Eddie Betts, who has yet to face the sort of scrutiny from the opposition that Milney has had to deal with over the past 5-6 years. Let's see how good Eddie is when he is consistently subjected to the negating tactics Milney faces every week. I'm sure when all of the above mentioned careers are finally over, Milne's record will stand alone.

BTW, is it just me or has Blakey started giving away a lot of hands in the back free kicks of late? Was it happening earlier in the year and we didn't notice because we were traveling so well? I'm a massive Blake fan but I think his form has tapered off in the past few weeks. Still, he has put plenty of runs on the board in the past couple of years. It's a good thing that he and his fellow defenders know that Max is pushing hard.

As for Gwilt, I admire his efforts and he does do the odd classy thing, but if Goose is fully fit and back in form, give me the goose, forward or back, anytime. I think his absence has made us forget how good his best is/was. Like Milne, Goose has the ability to be another "X" factor. On a sad note, the other true "X" factor, X himself, must be getting lonely in the rehab group. He has just about lost all his mates there.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Just a friendly remind could we please refrain from calling Barks4Eva 'Barks', please stick with B4E, he has even said he himself he doesn't feel comfortable being referred to as 'Barks'.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Correct me if I am wrong, but was'nt Matt Maguire guilty of giving away a lot of frees in his games?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Just a friendly remind could we please refrain from calling Barks4Eva 'Barks', please stick with B4E, he has even said he himself he doesn't feel comfortable being referred to as 'Barks'.
Thanks A. But unless he changes his nik we can call him either.

P66.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Just a friendly remind could we please refrain from calling Barks4Eva 'Barks', please stick with B4E, he has even said he himself he doesn't feel comfortable being referred to as 'Barks'.
Exactly right...

B4E has mentioned this on a few occasions....

Yes, in person fair enough, I have called him barks whilst playing the intraclub football matches (it's far easier to say barks than andy when on the ground)

But b4e prefers that, and again he has stated it

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
markp wrote:Yup, indeed....

Exactly, and Teflon missed a comparison - Ling/C Jones. Jones may not have the body weight to throw around at stoppages, but his track record this year of shutting down opponents while still contributing has to be one of the best in the comp - including Ling.

Give the kids a go? We already are!

Gwilt has a grand total of 36 games to his name. Raph has 44.
Good point Inker.

I actually think Jones is of a size with the speed to worry Ablett - Im not saying beat him....but certainly no problems going with him.

IMHO IF we can lay EFFECTIVE TACKLES that stifle the 5 meter geelong handballs to players running fwd we go a long way to stopping them (we couldnt do this last year and time and again they got free).

Our tackle game had better be on song.

“Yeah….nah””
CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

WRONG WRONG WRONG

baker is toughest player.

You dont understand something here... it takes a good month for players to get the feel of AFL speed and intensity again AFTER INJURY.

Baker has been good what the hell?
Raph - will get there remember he was great before injjry and will be again very soon in time for the cats.

BLAKE i agree with. He has had plenty of time and done well very well but is n kt ahead of maguire or max. Dawson has proved very very good value he kicks well mostly, has great sense for defence and is improving. I feel blakes decisions when under pressure are terrible.

I never thought dawson would be ahead of blake but he is.

GOODBYE BLAKE!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CaptainReiwoldt wrote:WRONG WRONG WRONG

You dont understand something here... it takes a good month for players to get the feel of AFL speed and intensity again AFTER INJURY.

Raph - will get there remember he was great before injjry and will be again very soon in time for the cats.

BLAKE i agree with. He has had plenty of time and done well very well but is n kt ahead of maguire or max. Dawson has proved very very good value he kicks well mostly, has great sense for defence and is improving. I feel blakes decisions when under pressure are terrible.

GOODBYE BLAKE!
Have you ever done a post not wanting to get rid of Blake. 56 posts all wrong. I am sure you will be right one day.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
CaptainReiwoldt wrote:WRONG WRONG WRONG

GOODBYE BLAKE!
Have you ever done a post not wanting to get rid of Blake. 56 posts all wrong. I am sure you will be right one day.
The win against Hawthorn last year, is a perfect example to why Blake will not be dropped while Lyon is here.

Get used to it.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx

[quote]Blake has been used in a variety of positions throughout his AFL career and is now happily settled in the back line. But he says that with Hudghton and Matt Maguire pushing for spots there is no chance of complacency among those in the side.

“The pressure is on us to perform each week. If we slip up it is going to be a quick transition. It is great to have that competition, it keeps everyone on their toes and maintains that focus each week,â€