CJ Vs. Ablett.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Leo.J
SS Life Member

CJ Vs. Ablett.

I think that CJ will be a good match up for Jesus.

CJ is very quick, he's strong, and a great tackler.

And while stopping opposition players he racks up decent numbers himself.

CJ could be one of the keys Vs. the Cats.

Another match up I'd like to see is a match fit Max Vs. Steve Johnson...

Max has a height advantage, and could match him for speed, atm Max would be in trouble as far a fitness is concerned, but I wreckon this could be a match up for later on in the year.

The Cats have many stars, but if you can stop Jnr and Johnson you are a chance of winning imo, not many clubs have good match ups for those guys...maybe we do?

Btw I know the Cats are a month away, but I can't wait to have a crack at them.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

If Dempster was fully match-fit, I'd argue that he would be the right for match up for Johnson - purely because Dempster has a better tank, and would be more effective when Johnson pushes up the ground and into the midfield. Max would be a perfect fit for SJ in our defensive 50, but SJ would run him ragged.

The Saints are coming!
doggerel
Club Player

Gilbert has got to go to Johnson. CJ for Ablett.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
goodie
Club Player

Or do we put Jones on Bartel or Selwood and get Hayes or Ball to go head-to-head? Jones is a good tackle, but Lenny and Luke are great tacklers.

Just a thought

saintly
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:If Dempster was fully match-fit, I'd argue that he would be the right for match up for Johnson - purely because Dempster has a better tank, and would be more effective when Johnson pushes up the ground and into the midfield. Max would be a perfect fit for SJ in our defensive 50, but SJ would run him ragged.
dempster won't be fully match fit by round 14. he only just came back and is only playing in the reserves.

the vfl seniors do not even have a game for 3 weeks.

bendigo bob
Club Player

CJ will take Selwood. Lenny to be Abletts opponent and they will play wide of each other except when Lenny pile drives him into the turf with his bone jarring tackles

BJ has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

BJ's #1 Fan

Winner of the half time Social Club auction for Kosi's jumper Round 19 2005
Can we build it? Yes we can!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I never understood the term until I watched it closely, but whoever plays on him should keep "goal side" of Ablett. It does work somewhat, he does sometimes recluctantly handball under this kind of pressure. Won't stop him completely, but may reduce his opportunities of scoring?

Anyone else noticed this?

Quixote
SS Life Member

Johnson is my biggest concern. Didn't he towel up Gilbo in last years final? Correct me if I'm wrong. Dempster should be there for him come finals this year, as to Rnd 14... maybe Goddard? Who knows. Glad I'm not the coach.

I'd like to see a Max/Dawson type go to Mooney and completely deny him access to the ball and watch him blow-up like toy-soldier that he is.

CJ to Ablett - YES.

Most anticipated match-up for the year!!

If CJ is beating him, and you hear a very loud voice proclaiming "You're wasted on him Clint Jones!!!!", you know I'm not far away. :wink:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Leo.J
SS Life Member

doggerel wrote:Gilbert has got to go to Johnson. CJ for Ablett.
Good match up that...

Gilbert would match Johnson for speed and stamina, yet I'm not sure he would match him for strength one on one.

Max would match him for strength, and speed, yet there would be a question mark regarding his tank even when Max is fully fit...

I suppose thats why Johnson is so hard to match up on.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

First half we should play CJ on Ablett and Hayes vs Selwood.

CJ to keep with Ablett as much as possible and Hayes to hurt Selwood at every opportuninty.

OWTS! made a very good point about keeping goal side of Ablett and Jones needs to be made aware of that, while he did an excellent job on Davey he did occasionally let Davey get on the wrong side of him.

After half time CJ should go to Bartel as he always comes into the games in a big way in the second half and then have Hayes go head to head with Ablett.

Montagna to run head to head with Corey, esxpect huge numbers from both.

Dal to drag Ling to the the fordward line and hope that he can provide an option, if he were to score two goals off the HFF that would be a win for us, because not only would he break even with Ling but we would be taking out one of their best ball winners and protectors from the centre square.

Max vs Mooney.

Dempster vs Hawkins.

Gilbert vs Johnson.

Goddard is our trump card IMO.

He must be everywhere, I want to see him spend time on the back flank, at full forward to expose their lack of quality tall defenders. Spend time in the middle, on the wings, we will need his excellent disposal.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
hotdish
Club Player

FYI - These were some matchups (whether tags or H2H) from the Qualifying final 08 (I have the game on my computer)

Ablett v Gram (Started on wing)
Bartel v Harvey (wing)
Corey v Goddard (midfield)
Stokes v C Jones (wing)
Selwood v Dal (midfield)
Ling v Hayes (midfield)
Enright v Montagna (wing)

S Johnson v Gilbert
Lonergon v Blake
Chapman v S Fisher
Mooney v Hudghton

Harley v Schneider
Scarlett v Kossi
Taylor v Riewoldt
Mackie v Gwilt

These matchups were the opening bounce/1st minutes matchups and obviously would have changed throughout the game...

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Pretty sure Clinton Jones will be put on the Brownlow Medallist or Chappy (their most damaging player because he has guts and skill) and not a fragile show pony. Baker to poke the pony, in (almost) every possible way.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: CJ Vs. Ablett.

Leo.J wrote:
if you can stop Jnr .
You will not stop him..

but you may be able to curtail him.
I think he would bea great match-up...which is why I starteda thread on it abouta month back.

Key is CJ's pace...to stay with him.

Ablett oftens gets the ball..dishes it off...breaks away and receives it back..

With CJ even if he cannot stop that first ball...he can stay with Gablett to limit that later receive...to stop that deadly footpass or running goal.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Dempster was mauled by Johnson last year. Not good enough one-on-one

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

IMO we missed dempster in this match last year, and would like to think he could do a good job on Johnson if fit...

We need to put CJ on Ablett for several reasons: we need someone with speed to combat him, as well as someone who has proven themselves as a SMART tagger. CJ knows when to play close and when to run off, and when to tell one of his mates to play on his man for a bit - ive been very impressed by this! CJs ability to hurt the other way too will be vital - not so much to make Ablett accountable, but to allow us to also win in this match-up (cos lets be honest, Ablett will still probably get 30 touches and a goal!). If CJ can chip in with some assists and 20-odd touches, i would be happy!

As far as their other players, several things have been learnt in recent weeks - Selwood cannot be tagged - he is too in-and-under to care about the attention, and still gets stacks of the ball. I would put him head-to-head on Hayes (a similar player).

Bartel was beaten two weeks ago when going head-to-head with another strong in-and-under player in Daniel Cross - a very similar player to Bally! This would be my next match up; Ball on Bartel.

As for Corey, i would expect him to be on Montagna, and Ling to play on DalSanto. I liked someone else's suggestion re Dal to the goalsquare - Ling is an important one to keep out of the centre - he is their midfield general!

Our forward line is also going to be a massive plus! Rotating Milne and Schneids on David Johnson (like they did to Harry O'Brian of Collingwood) is going to be a massive plus - expose one of their weakest players through some of our strengths.

Roo is a great match up (from out POV) for Harry Taylor - Taylor is a GOP in a great team, and struggles to contain the power forwards without a lot of help. Scarlett may be an option for them, but that will push Taylor back to the last line of defence to play on Kosi, as well as making Scarlett play higher - a big PLUS!

Our worry will be their forward line - Mooney should be stood by Fisher - whilst he doesnt kick stacks of goals, he is a strong bodied marking forward, and sets up stacks of goal-assists. This means we need someone who can keep him accountable further up the ground, as well as stop him defensively! See Fisher's job on Jono Brown! Option 2: Blake (see T. Cloke)
I could see Lyon putting Baker on Stokes, but i dont know how much i like this - Stokes is strong overhead - the same cannot be said for Baker. However, in body strength, Bakes has him covered. Also, Stokes loves playing "niggles," and just like in last year's GF, it caused him to be distracted from the game. Bakes also loves "niggles," and could potentially distract him out of him game (pulling at straws???) Option 2: Fisher (see P. Medhurst)
Stevie J is a hard one, and i dont know if i really like seeing Gilbo on him after the PF last year... in saying that, no player has grown in ability more this year than Gilbo! He has had some decent scalps this year, and this is going to be the match-up that could most influence the match. Im tipping he will play on Stevie J, and should be able to match him for smarts, marking and speed! Option 2: Maxie (see just about every key forward in the comp)
Lonegan/Hawkins is the easiest of the matchups - they both play close to goal and will be stood by either Dawson or Max (depending who is in the team. These are both more appropriate match-ups for dawson, as we could use Maxy on more versatile players.

There will surely be some rotations happening, and i know i havent thought of everyone...

But what does everyone think of this???

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Dempster was mauled by Johnson last year. Not good enough one-on-one
IIRC that was his first match for the season and he was just terrible?

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!