Verdun Howell Brownlow up for auction

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne

ctqs wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:Lost a bit of respect for Verdun.

Footy's highest individual honour and he's selling it on the marketplace.

quote]

Not having a go - just curious - but how come? The medal is just a symbol. The title is the real honour. And isn't it honourable that he's trying to benefit his family?
Have withdrawn that statement re Verdun after receiving further info.

Regarding being just a symbol........ don't agree with soldiers selling their VCs either.

There is something completely different in showing your grandkids your name in a record-book to having them actually touch the medal.

My opinion only.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

What were his circumstances? Curious, because that's my hero you're talking about. If someone would mind PM'ing me I'd appreciate it. I gather things have been a struggle for him, but don't know for sure. Cheers.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

widereceiver wrote:
stinger wrote:
yep.......i knew verdon when i was a teenager..loved watching him play...so don't want to belittle his achievements...but he isn't a ridgy didge brownlow medalist......
absolute bollocks to that.

how do you come to that conclusion......he was awarded one years later when they changed the rules...he didn't win at the time...he was runner up.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
stinger wrote:

yep.......i knew verdon when i was a teenager..loved watching him play...so don't want to belittle his achievements...but he isn't a ridgy didge brownlow medalist......
Neither was Banger first time around.

yes he was...the other guy was ineligible....flower me...some of you have little grasp on reality ffs.....

grant made headhigh contact and was properly dealt with

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
widereceiver wrote:
stinger wrote:
absolute bollocks to that.

how do you come to that conclusion......he was awarded one years later when they changed the rules...he didn't win at the time...he was runner up.....
Stinger, what about the people now being awarded gold/silver/bronze medals for the 2000 Olympic Games because the original winners have now been discovered to be drug cheats?

I know the analogy is different but the fact is that the medals are being awarded by the governing body of the sport who have decided to change the rules and award the Brownlows retrospectively.

I'm not sure how the votes were in the year Plugger won, but would you say that he wasn't a worthy winner if he would have lost on a countback (like Verdun did) because the rules weren't changed?

Rules get changed all the time. When they change the eligibility rules to allow Lou Richards to be elevated to Legend status in the HOF, does that mean he's not really a legend?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

the example you quoted is not the same...those people were cheated out of their medals by drug cheats....verdon didn't win......he was runner up.......years later they had to change the rules......so then pressure was put on the vfl to award retrospective brownlows......don't follow you on the plufgger one...he was a winner......verdon wasn't....and no ...lou will never be a footy legend in my eyes...they will only cheapen that status if it is bestowed on him...he was a very average footballer......

...look verdon was a family friend ...of my fathers......i get no joy in saying anything detrimental about him.........and i am not really...he was a champion footballer and is a champion bloke......i just don't think the actual medal would mean that much to him.....

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Thinline wrote:
stinger wrote:

Neither was Banger first time around.

yes he was...the other guy was ineligible....flower me...some of you have little grasp on reality ffs.....

grant made headhigh contact and was properly dealt with
Flower yourself, mate.

Grant was unlucky (read earlier post). Fact. Unless of course you consider his treatment by the process that year 'proper'. In which case I'd seriously question your powers of reason.

As someone else pointed out, with Grant getting 3 votes for a later game in which he contributed little, maybe karma eventually prevailed.

Still, I'm extremely glad Banger won in 98, because his 97 medal, for me at least, will forever have a C Grant cloud hanging over it.

You really do just trawl through threads looking for something to tee off on, don't you...

Whatever turns you on.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'll ask Chris Grant over the side fence this afternoon if he reckons he was robbed in 1997. Lovely neighbour, but he was not in Harvey's class that year...

IMO, Harvey was even better in 1997 than he was in 1998. My sister, a mad Dogs' fan - and who saw both teams closely - is in full agreement.

Harvey's 1997 is vastly undersold. I have no doubt the umpires were embarrassed by the final result, knowing he was the best player. Hence, they made sure not to overlook him a year later.

A bit like Diesel in 1993, really.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:the example you quoted is not the same...those people were cheated out of their medals by drug cheats....verdon didn't win......he was runner up.......years later they had to change the rules......so then pressure was put on the vfl to award retrospective brownlows......don't follow you on the plufgger one...he was a winner......verdon wasn't....and no ...lou will never be a footy legend in my eyes...they will only cheapen that status if it is bestowed on him...he was a very average footballer......
The point I was trying to make was that first past the post doen't necessarily make you the winner - even 8 years after the fact.

As for Plugger, he tied with Platten - I don't recall who had the most BOG votes? But if it had been Platten, then would Plugger not be a deserving Brownlow medallist?

There was an anomaly in the rules - they fixed it and to make it fair on everybody, they awarded retrospective medals to all those who had lost on countback.
When you think about it logically, the old rule didn't make any sense. Why bother counting 2 votes and 1 votes if the ultimate decider was only the 3 votes?
Under the old rules a guy who got 6 best on grounds beat a guy who got 18 third best on grounds - even though they both had 18 votes for the season.

As for whether Verdun was a great or average footballer?
That is purely a subjective question. There have been some brilliant footballers who have never won a Brownlow.
Conversely there have been some (IMO) ordinary footballers who have won a Brownlow (Woewodin springs to mind).

ALthough a little younger than you, I too can recall him from the 60's and he was always one of my favourites. I thought he was pretty good.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Do ask!

Would be interested to hear.

I'm not underselling Banger's 97. I'm just tallying votes.

But yes, perhaps karma found a way.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
stinger wrote:the example you quoted is not the same...those people were cheated out of their medals by drug cheats....verdon didn't win......he was runner up.......years later they had to change the rules......so then pressure was put on the vfl to award retrospective brownlows......don't follow you on the plufgger one...he was a winner......verdon wasn't....and no ...lou will never be a footy legend in my eyes...they will only cheapen that status if it is bestowed on him...he was a very average footballer......
The point I was trying to make was that first past the post doen't necessarily make you the winner - even 8 years after the fact.

As for Plugger, he tied with Platten - I don't recall who had the most BOG votes? But if it had been Platten, then would Plugger not be a deserving Brownlow medallist?

There was an anomaly in the rules - they fixed it and to make it fair on everybody, they awarded retrospective medals to all those who had lost on countback.
When you think about it logically, the old rule didn't make any sense. Why bother counting 2 votes and 1 votes if the ultimate decider was only the 3 votes?
Under the old rules a guy who got 6 best on grounds beat a guy who got 18 third best on grounds - even though they both had 18 votes for the season.

As for whether Verdun was a great or average footballer?
That is purely a subjective question. There have been some brilliant footballers who have never won a Brownlow.
Conversely there have been some (IMO) ordinary footballers who have won a Brownlow (Woewodin springs to mind).

ALthough a little younger than you, I too can recall him from the 60's and he was always one of my favourites. I thought he was pretty good.

we can agree to disagree...... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: .......verdon gave me a footy once.......can't remember if it was new or a match ball......jimmy ross gave me a new one...took it to primary school where someone kicked it over the fence...it got nicked before we could fetch it.........scarred me for life........