Max- Should he Play?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

python
Club Player

Max- Should he Play?

Im not one of those that wants to change the team unneccesarily, but i think this week would be the perfect week for max to come in. I think hes the perfect matchup for robertson, and i reckon dawson would go really well on miller, and that would enable fisher to be freed up unlike last week, when he had to play on brown (and did a great job).

The only problem is, who do we drop? I think max has to get some game time into his legs, as he is, assuming he will play up to his standard, obviously in our best 22. the only two guys that could be dropped would be baker or blake, as the rest of the back group i really think have done enough to warrant their place, and although those two have been more than serviceable, if one of them is a little sore, maybe this week they could have a rest.

Any thoughts?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Max- Should he Play?

python wrote:...Any thoughts?
Lock the thread! I think we have all done "the Max issue" to death.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Max- Should he Play?

python wrote:Any thoughts?
yes, i don't envy the selectors.

it is a very tough job they are doing at the moment. they just have to trust their gut instincts on who is and who isn't in our best team. without fear or favour.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I think I read somewhere that Ross has said that Max will be back in the seniors BEFORE the mid season break !!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If that is the case he only has this week and next week to get back.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

And the week after.

Our break is the second week of the split round, so after round 12.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
spert
Saintsational Legend

Max is a backman, and currently we have the absolute best backline in the comp..the question is who is playing so badly in the best backline, that they need to be dropped in order to bring in an experienced, but injury-prone player?

goods
Club Player

spert wrote:Max is a backman, and currently we have the absolute best backline in the comp..the question is who is playing so badly in the best backline, that they need to be dropped in order to bring in an experienced, but injury-prone player?
It may not be individuals that make it the best back in the comp it may be structure and training.

No reason why a highly talented experienced player cannot be part of that structure

Having said that 'soapy' is our future we should continue to play him

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

If fit, should be a walk up start. Coming off a season where he was long listed for AA.

If the selectors fell Dawson's done enough to retain a spot (IMO, he has), they need to find someone else to drop - perhaps a untility in a fixed role like Jason Blake (Dawson can't go into the midfield, but could be swung forward, and Blake hasn't looked like taking a midfield job in a while)... Dawson could almost certainly take on Blake's primary role of '09 thus far.

IMO, nobody needs to be playing "so" badly... Max is as good an eraser as you'll find. Defensively, only Scarlett and Glass can claim the same credentials... offensively, a balance needs to be struck (it's not like we're currently crying out to be tighter defensively), but H&A is about getting as good a team ready for September as possible, and Max Hudghton is only surpassed by Fisher for team value of the current back 6.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
To the top
SS Life Member

As I have put elsewhere, Max is a negating defensive player capable of playing on any sized opponent. He is not a big possession winner, is not a rebounding defender and sometimes his disposal is less than it should be.

That said, he IS one of our very top defenders.

The other player who plys a trade as a negative, lock down player not now with the pace or agility to perform that function in the mid-field is Baker.

The negative with Baker is that opposition clubs will (and do) try to isolate him deep in our defence to expose an overhead deficiency (179 cm).

Some will say that Baker brings a "hard edge", but harder than Max?

I do not think so.

For mine, Max will replace Baker.

And the recruitment, and success of Ray condemns Baker as does the efforts of McQualter and Jones.

Blake has versatility - and can not be exploited as easily as can Baker.

Remember that, as 2008 unfolded, we had a defensive unit of "talls" with Dempster the match up for the lightning quick forwards.

The attacking side to Dawson's game is imperative if both Max and Dempster resume in defence - because we can not have 3 (of 6) exclusive "lock down" players down back.

I recall the days when we had Maguire, Penny, Gehrig on occasions before he went forward and Max in defence - with Max picking up either a 3rd tall or a small (Brown and the like).

That may be Max's go now, and why Baker is in trouble.

James
Club Player

People forget that Hudghton is actually a natural small back, and only played full back because of our injury crisis and his height. He can play on any size player. It's not being top heavy having him, Dawson and Blake down there at the same time.

I'd prefer Maxy to get another game in him and return at AFL level next week in familiar territory, as opposed to Carrara.

People debate his role - I'd be having him as a back pocket, taking the leading medium/tall forward and leaving Dawson on the main forward target.

Our back line won't lose any rebounding ability. In fact, having him in will relieve Fisher/Gilbert of the big duties on key targets and free them up for their running/rebounding game. Hudghton/Blake/Dawson are three very good tall backs to have.

starsign
Club Player

To the top wrote:As I have put elsewhere, Max is a negating defensive player capable of playing on any sized opponent. He is not a big possession winner, is not a rebounding defender and sometimes his disposal is less than it should be.

That said, he IS one of our very top defenders.

The other player who plys a trade as a negative, lock down player not now with the pace or agility to perform that function in the mid-field is Baker.

The negative with Baker is that opposition clubs will (and do) try to isolate him deep in our defence to expose an overhead deficiency (179 cm).

Some will say that Baker brings a "hard edge", but harder than Max?

I do not think so.

For mine, Max will replace Baker.

And the recruitment, and success of Ray condemns Baker as does the efforts of McQualter and Jones.

Blake has versatility - and can not be exploited as easily as can Baker.

Remember that, as 2008 unfolded, we had a defensive unit of "talls" with Dempster the match up for the lightning quick forwards.

The attacking side to Dawson's game is imperative if both Max and Dempster resume in defence - because we can not have 3 (of 6) exclusive "lock down" players down back.

I recall the days when we had Maguire, Penny, Gehrig on occasions before he went forward and Max in defence - with Max picking up either a 3rd tall or a small (Brown and the like).

That may be Max's go now, and why Baker is in trouble.

yep quite a good post and food for thought !
my jury's still out on the whole issue, and I think the selectors have been in a comfort zone while things are working out well down back,and playing a bit of wait and see what develops game with regards Max and to a lesser extent Goose,
Week by week they have been sticking with the status quo by and large.
nice position to be in , and very hard for us mere mortal armchair experts to crystal-ball on their future thoughts just quietly!

It will be nice to have a few tried and true options down back as the season gets further toward the business end, so when the finals come we can be in a position to tweak the line-up slightly if needs be depending on our opposition in a horses for courses type approach

Versatility is still the key IMHO with the added luxury of experience on offer when deciding who comes and goes into the 22

Last week a few had some ordinary moments , but we won in a fashion that showed great team merit , and that's what its been all about to get us 9-zip
Don't expect the selectors to make any great changes just cos we are playing Melbourne ! they seem to be doing alright too, and I for one thank God that some of the "room temperature footy IQ posters" we have here are not empowered with their job.

James
Club Player

B: Hudghton - Dawson - Dempster
HB: Gilbert - Blake - Fisher

You're mad if you think that won't:

1. Stop teams scoring
2. Rebound dangerously
3. Cover any forward line effectively.

That back six is everything you'd ask for.