Saturday Afternoon Fever

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainterjo
Club Player

Bought it for the laughs, had me in tears.

Of course it had many funny moments, but for me, the emotional tone of this book was profoundly sad.

:( It's an elegy for Trevor Barker (and maybe the dreams of youth, too). Hardy really wears his heart on his sleeve, like all good Sainters do.

I'm happy to be a local one-book lending library. If you live in Northcote, Thornbury, Ivanhoe or thereabouts and are unable to find this book, PM me and you can borrow it.

They will not grow old, as those from more northern States grow old.
For them it will always be three-quarter-time, with the scores level
and the wind advantage in the final term.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I have read the book, but as someone who was born after the VFL became AFL I just didn't enjoy it as much as most seem to. Was an ok story with a few funny moments but I suppose I don't have the nostalgia factor working for me.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Just picked up a copy after reading this thread. Have gone through a few pages but liked this bit:

Was talking about the reason why his obsession with footy cards ceased

***Spoiler***

My footy card fever ceased some seasons on, when Scanlen's again decided to portray the stars 'in action', this time using snapsots taken during matches. This scenario was unsatisfying, allowing some players to be pictured completely out of character - a forward shown going the punch from behind, for example, or Kevin 'Hungry' Bartlett passing to a team-mate in a better position. It just wasn't right.
LOL

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Nice of Matt to lend his No 1 Saints Jumper to the young lady with the blonde hair !!

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:Just picked up a copy after reading this thread. Have gone through a few pages but liked this bit:
where did you end up getting a copy OLB?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

If anyone knows Matt please ask him to do his S.A.F live show again.

I missed it the year it was on whilst overseas but caught his 'Sex & the Suburbs' show the next year. If you thought SAF could have been written based on the lives of many of us, Sex & the Suburbs was a very accurate account of the love lives of many young men growing up in the suburbs of Melbourne in the 90's!

I did yell out Go Sainters to him in 04 after the Swans final win & he burnt me though. It was about 2am at the Depot in Richmond so he'd probably heard it about 45,000 times by then.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
OLB wrote:Just picked up a copy after reading this thread. Have gone through a few pages but liked this bit:
where did you end up getting a copy OLB?
Some online book store called Chaos.

Just finished reading it.

What a beautiful, touching book. The way he describes the emotions footy gives him is amazing.

His memories of 97 are exactly how I remember the day and, as sad as it was having to relive the whole thing by reading that particular chapter, it's comforting knowing that there are thousands of us who felt exactly the same way.

If you haven't read it, grab yourself a copy NOW!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Link follows for anyone who wants to buy a copy. Glad you enjoyed it OLB. Absolute ripper isn't it.

http://chaos.com/product/saturday_after ... 61739.html

GrumpyOne

Quite happy to lend my copy if someone wants it.

PM me.