Saturday Afternoon Fever

sainterjo

Bought it for the laughs, had me in tears.

Of course it had many funny moments, but for me, the emotional tone of this book was profoundly sad.

:( It's an elegy for Trevor Barker (and maybe the dreams of youth, too). Hardy really wears his heart on his sleeve, like all good Sainters do.

I'm happy to be a local one-book lending library. If you live in Northcote, Thornbury, Ivanhoe or thereabouts and are unable to find this book, PM me and you can borrow it.

They will not grow old, as those from more northern States grow old.
For them it will always be three-quarter-time, with the scores level
and the wind advantage in the final term.

I have read the book, but as someone who was born after the VFL became AFL I just didn't enjoy it as much as most seem to. Was an ok story with a few funny moments but I suppose I don't have the nostalgia factor working for me.

Just picked up a copy after reading this thread. Have gone through a few pages but liked this bit:

Was talking about the reason why his obsession with footy cards ceased

***Spoiler***

My footy card fever ceased some seasons on, when Scanlen's again decided to portray the stars 'in action', this time using snapsots taken during matches. This scenario was unsatisfying, allowing some players to be pictured completely out of character - a forward shown going the punch from behind, for example, or Kevin 'Hungry' Bartlett passing to a team-mate in a better position. It just wasn't right.
LOL

Bowey Boy

Nice of Matt to lend his No 1 Saints Jumper to the young lady with the blonde hair !!

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black

OLB wrote:Just picked up a copy after reading this thread. Have gone through a few pages but liked this bit:
where did you end up getting a copy OLB?

If anyone knows Matt please ask him to do his S.A.F live show again.

I missed it the year it was on whilst overseas but caught his 'Sex & the Suburbs' show the next year. If you thought SAF could have been written based on the lives of many of us, Sex & the Suburbs was a very accurate account of the love lives of many young men growing up in the suburbs of Melbourne in the 90's!

I did yell out Go Sainters to him in 04 after the Swans final win & he burnt me though. It was about 2am at the Depot in Richmond so he'd probably heard it about 45,000 times by then.

saintbrat wrote:
OLB wrote:Just picked up a copy after reading this thread. Have gone through a few pages but liked this bit:
where did you end up getting a copy OLB?
Some online book store called Chaos.

Just finished reading it.

What a beautiful, touching book. The way he describes the emotions footy gives him is amazing.

His memories of 97 are exactly how I remember the day and, as sad as it was having to relive the whole thing by reading that particular chapter, it's comforting knowing that there are thousands of us who felt exactly the same way.

If you haven't read it, grab yourself a copy NOW!

Link follows for anyone who wants to buy a copy. Glad you enjoyed it OLB. Absolute ripper isn't it.

http://chaos.com/product/saturday_after ... 61739.html

Quite happy to lend my copy if someone wants it.

PM me.