Run Joey Run!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Run Joey Run!!!

I'm the first to admit I've never been a fan of Montagna,always seen him as a bit of a flat track bully who played an Aussie Jones type game but nowhere near as good. To me he always seemed to go missing a bit when it was tough.

However I've been watching him closely this year,and he has won me over. Especially in the past month. His gut running has been nothing short of courageous this year. He's almost pushing himself as hard as the great man used too. Have a look at him just gasping for breath after each contest,but he keeps going and going and going.

Well done Joey Montagna,we needed players to step up this year,and he would be number one in that field in my book

Bring back the Lockett era
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

And repeatedly today he was hammered off the ball and after he's disposed of it.

It happened far too often for it not to have been a deliberate play by teh Brions.

He was forever picking himself up off the ground after being dumped.

Loyal
Club Player

guy is prolly the best endurance runner in the comp and for that reason is the captain of my DT.

Footy Classified - NO ROOM FOR THE, who farted?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:And repeatedly today he was hammered off the ball and after he's disposed of it.

It happened far too often for it not to have been a deliberate play by teh Brions.

i noticed roo and kosi both copping one after they had marked.

the lions are a tough team. voss played a lot of football for leigh matthews and you'd expect no less from them.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 25 May 2009 1:42pm, edited 2 times in total.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Run Joey Run!!!

jonesy wrote:I'm the first to admit I've never been a fan of Montagna,always seen him as a bit of a flat track bully who played an Aussie Jones type game but nowhere near as good. To me he always seemed to go missing a bit when it was tough.

However I've been watching him closely this year,and he has won me over. Especially in the past month. His gut running has been nothing short of courageous this year. He's almost pushing himself as hard as the great man used too. Have a look at him just gasping for breath after each contest,but he keeps going and going and going.

Well done Joey Montagna,we needed players to step up this year,and he would be number one in that field in my book
agreed. he was pretty good two years ago, then seemed not to improve any further last year. this year he's running hard and more importantly is second in tackles per game, ahead of ball!

6.75: hayes
6.00: montagna
5.89: ball
4.78: jones
4.00: schneider, mcqualter
3.78: ray
3.56: geary
3.44: goddard
3.00: dal santo, gilbert

that's the real achievement for him, i reckon. he's also averaging 26.9 disposals, which is huge, but still is only fourth behind hayes, dal santo, goddard.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Joey has been arguably our most consistent peformer this season. Should be doing well in the B&F to date.

barneyboyz
Club Player

jonesy wrote:I'm the first to admit I've never been a fan of Montagna,always seen him as a bit of a flat track bully who played an Aussie Jones type game but nowhere near as good. To me he always seemed to go missing a bit when it was tough.

I fully agree with the above statements, also did some of these blokes suffer from not being able to take over from Harv's whilst he was still around? not sure I 100% believe that though, but worth the thought

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
agreed. he was pretty good two years ago, then seemed not to improve any further last year. this year he's running hard and more importantly is second in tackles per game, ahead of ball!

6.75: hayes
6.00: montagna
5.89: ball
4.78: jones
4.00: schneider, mcqualter
3.78: ray
3.56: geary
3.44: goddard
3.00: dal santo, gilbert

that's the real achievement for him, i reckon. he's also averaging 26.9 disposals, which is huge, but still is only fourth behind hayes, dal santo, goddard.
That's a great stat to illustrate the improvement in our second tier players. Lenny and Bally you'd expect to be up there, but Joey, CJ, Schneids, Mini, Farren and Jarryn Geary up there as well. Nicely illustrates how our more even team contirbution is driving our success so far this year.

Saints43
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:And repeatedly today he was hammered off the ball and after he's disposed of it.

The physical pressure Joey has played under on & off the ball this year suggests that oppo coaches see him as the most dangerous midfielder in the team.

And he seems to love it.

I had doubts (correction - had lost belief) that he was going to be anything more than a very good player for our club. He is a game breaker now. Game breaker.

It's a credit to him and the staff. (RL's resting of players for a final assault on Sunday worked perfectly. Mmmmm perfect.)

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Cometti said afew weeks back he was a Junior sprint champion...i think, my memory could be playing tricks.

Loyal
Club Player

he is just elite on his feet.
whether it is the 100m dash or just running all day.
no-one in the comp can match his wheels. no-one!
guy is a very powerful runner.

Footy Classified - NO ROOM FOR THE, who farted?