Roof Open or Closed Today?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cps
Club Player

Roof Open or Closed Today?

Will the roof at Etihad be open or closed today?

Who decides and what do they base their decision on?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

There is no forecast for rain and seeing its a day match, I would say that the roof will be open

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:There is no forecast for rain and seeing its a day match, I would say that the roof will be open
I hope so.....

Roof Open >>>> Roof Closed

Beej
Saintsational Legend

In terms of atmosphere it is a lot better when the roof is closed.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

It better be closed, if they want the roof open, then they need to build a stadium that faces the right way....

Darren
Club Player

According to the webcam the roof is opened.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:In terms of atmosphere it is a lot better when the roof is closed.
Your kidding right?

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Surely you understand the basic concept that when the roof is closed sound stays inside the stadium and reverberates around the stands whereas when the roof is open sound is allowed to leave the arena hence the decibel levels are higher when the roof is closed.

This isn't news. Until now I thought it was common knowledge.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Roof Open is fine today...it's a very pleasant 20 degrees at the moment and cloudy - perfect for an open roof!

IF it was Sunny, I'd want a closed roof to reduce glare.

IF it was freezing outside (ie less than 15 degrees), I'd also want a closed roof to make it warmer for us!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:Surely you understand the basic concept that when the roof is closed sound stays inside the stadium and reverberates around the stands whereas when the roof is open sound is allowed to leave the arena hence the decibel levels are higher when the roof is closed.

Its a game of football....Not a rock concert.

And atmosphere is not a synonym for 'loadness'. There are a million and one other factors that contribute to it.

The roof closed, especially for tv coverage makes the game seem manufactured, and closed in.

Must be why I love the MCG - traditional and natural football!

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
OLB wrote:Surely you understand the basic concept that when the roof is closed sound stays inside the stadium and reverberates around the stands whereas when the roof is open sound is allowed to leave the arena hence the decibel levels are higher when the roof is closed.

Its a game of football....Not a rock concert.

And atmosphere is not a synonym for 'loadness'. There are a million and one other factors that contribute to it.

The roof closed, especially for tv coverage makes the game seem manufactured, and closed in.

Must be why I love the MCG - traditional and natural football!
Not doubting that it's more natural and traditional when the game is outdoors, obviously they didn't play indoors in the 1920s. Anyway, that's besides the point. We're talking about atmosphere.

The majority of atmosphere is crowd participation/sound. If you disagree, please explain to me then all the other intangibles that you consider to be important in atmosphere. A roof makes crowd participation seem greater because the sound stays inside the ground.

A 20,000 crowd under the roof at the Dome will sound better than 35,000 at the MCG. Why? Because the sound stays inside the ground which makes it louder and a better spectacle because of the atmosphere.

When watching on tv, games of footy, or any sport for that matter, are easily more entertaining to watch when they're played indoors for this exact reason.

It's also why all the modern stadiums are designed with a major focus on keeping as much sound within the stadium as possible.

What would be a better spectacle? St Kilda v Geelong tomorrow in front of 50,000 people or the same fixture in front of 0 people.

Of course the game in front of 50,000. Why? Because there's a crowd. What do crowds do? They scream and they shout as if it were a rock concert.