Hall of Shame....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

TAGHLAO
Club Player

Hall of Shame....

Guy McKenna??? Mark Bickley????

Both good players but what did S. Loewe and N. Burke do wrong that has kept them out.

Both 300+ games players compared to 267 and 272. Burke retired a year before Bicks and Loewe 2 years before.

#23 kicked over 500 goals, # 3 kicked 123. The other two kicked 103 between them.

Sooooo....do have to win a premiership to get in?? Only difference I can see.

And how Trevor Barker isn't there is a disgrace. McKenna not fit to tie #1's shoe laces. And what about Winmar? Better player than all four of them. First indigenous player to play 250 games???

In fact, just having a quick look through he list our last two inductees are Tony Lockett and big Carl. So we have had two good players in the last 30 years.

Disgrace

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

I see your point but a premiership would be so much sweeter than a hall of fame inductee

Another opportunity awaits!
Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Couldn't agree more, all of Barker, Winmar, Loewe and Burke should be nominated. What about Harves - may be too early for him.
The Club, I suppose, has to put their names up to the H of F Committee and have overlooked doing it?
Last edited by Go Sainters Go on Fri 22 May 2009 6:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
TAGHLAO
Club Player

Have to be out of the game at least 5 years. Bickley only just qualified. He wasn't THAT good a player that he deserved automatic entry. Wasn't even the best player in the GF teams of 97,98

suss
Club Player

I reckon you guys are being harsh...

I mean Nicky Winmar placed 250 odd games. A few were okay. I remember him at Victoria Park, lifting his jumper at pointing at his "guts". I actually thought it was a bit showy at the time...certainly nothing that changed the face of the game.

Mark Bickley on the other hand...where do I start? The dazzling skill? The blistering pace? This bloke had it all. And courage? We'll I remember him elbowing Daryl Waiklin in the face and breaking his jaw in half a dozen places...how he didn't get in sooner is beyond me.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:I reckon you guys are being harsh...

I mean Nicky Winmar placed 250 odd games. A few were okay. I remember him at Victoria Park, lifting his jumper at pointing at his "guts". I actually thought it was a bit showy at the time...certainly nothing that changed the face of the game.

Mark Bickley on the other hand...where do I start? The dazzling skill? The blistering pace? This bloke had it all. And courage? We'll I remember him elbowing Daryl Waiklin in the face and breaking his jaw in half a dozen places...how he didn't get in sooner is beyond me.

Don't think he was eligible until this year and besides they needed to keep the 'SA pc' quota up and had no-one else to nominate.

It would be interesting to know how many players have played 300+ VFL/AFL games, are eligible to be nominated and have not been inducted?

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Go back to your Adelaide site, Bickley, pft.........

Qld Saints Supporter Group
The Sainter
Club Player

Certainly must agree that Trevor Barker should be included. He was simply superb as a footballer, Mckenna and Bickley were both fine footballers but not in his class. Surely those selecting players to be included in the Hall of Fame have somehow overlooked him but why is hard to understand.
Is it because he played all his games in a team that never made the finals? Put him in a top team and he could have joined Harvey as a dual Brownlow winner, that's how good he was. If our club have not yet put his name up to be included then it's about damn time they did.
His talents, skill, courage and great high marking were a joy to behold.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hall of Shame....

TAGHLAO wrote:Guy McKenna??? Mark Bickley????

Both good players but what did S. Loewe and N. Burke do wrong that has kept them out.

Both 300+ games players compared to 267 and 272. Burke retired a year before Bicks and Loewe 2 years before.

#23 kicked over 500 goals, # 3 kicked 123. The other two kicked 103 between them.

Sooooo....do have to win a premiership to get in?? Only difference I can see.

And how Trevor Barker isn't there is a disgrace. McKenna not fit to tie #1's shoe laces. And what about Winmar? Better player than all four of them. First indigenous player to play 250 games???

In fact, just having a quick look through he list our last two inductees are Tony Lockett and big Carl. So we have had two good players in the last 30 years.

Disgrace
FAIR DINKUM one of the best posts I have ever read on this site!

:wink:

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
savatage
SS Life Member

Saint Bev wrote:

Umm...Bev....read it again.

Schillaci
Club Player

Trevor Barker should definitely be in the Hall of Fame...to say that I'm surprised he's not, is an understatement. Arguably our greatest ever player...may he rest in peace.

Also agree about Buckets and Burke. Think Spud has done enough too.

From an earlier vintage, what about the Doc, Ian Stewart or Cowboy? Any others?

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Bickley..geez...poor mans Andrew Thompson.
Guy Mckenna...poor mans James Clement. Will never forgive him for the day he dogged it against plugger and inevitably stopped Plugger from kicking 180 for the year

Bring back the Lockett era
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:Trevor Barker should definitely be in the Hall of Fame...to say that I'm surprised he's not, is an understatement. Arguably our greatest ever player...may he rest in peace.

Also agree about Buckets and Burke. Think Spud has done enough too.

From an earlier vintage, what about the Doc, Ian Stewart or Cowboy? Any others?
I believe Doc and Stewie are Legends?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:

i think he was being sarcastic

bickley was every bit as fast by foot as greg williams, maybe even shaun rehn.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
The Craw
Club Player

Trevor Barker...... was a champion. Punched way outside his weight division. He is St kilda. The AFL can shove the Hall of Fame up the collective @rses. Just a deadset bunch of Fudge smugglers.

Not Craw, CRAW!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Hey guys, one of our own, Ross Oakley got inducted.

Surely it was his 66 odd games for St Kilda eh? :lol:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

To Bickley's credit, at least he publically admitted he was not really a top candidate and a little surprised at his induction...I think he was pretty genuine about it too. Bicks shamed himself in Ireland, and in his last game...he exposed himslef as a sniper.

As for his skills...geez you could have had a team full of Bickley's and it wouldn't have made a shread of difference in '97 and '98, but remove McLeod and Burgers Jarman, they'd never have won either.

A lazy selection to appease Crows fans IMO. A 5 year old could come up with a list of 100 more deserving players.

Having said that, he'd crap all over me, unless he was trying to catch me down the wing! White Lightening!!!

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

He played for Adelaide, enough said :evil:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
ace
Saintsational Legend

Ross Smith (St Kilda) Brownlow medallists - not even in Hall of Fame.
Kevin Bartlett (Richmond) played at same time as Smith but never won a Brownlow - inducted into Hall of Fame, promoted to Legend.

Bartlett has worked in the media so remains prominent in people's minds.

It is not how good you were.
It is how good your PR machine is.

Lou Richards was no star player just a Collingwood captain like Maxwell, but he was high profile in the media for eons.
A good ordinary player but he thinks he should be a Legend. :shock:

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.