Team Vs Lions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

busso mick
Club Player

maverick wrote:I agree, and its because we have a number of "no namers" in the team that the battle stakes are so high. SO called namers on paper like Goose Raph and X before he got injured just don't have a spot, currently.

Our very best are playing as A graders and everyone wants to be a part of it all, everyone is earning their spot.
Spot on Maverick. For years at the Saints an injured players "reputation" was enough to get him back in the team, even when their pre-injury form wasn't that great. This was due to our lack of depth, so now that our "team" is gelling so well it is great that there is a queue to come back in. We have been guilty of being besotted with a players reputation and their draft pick number, now that is not important and a game in the "ones" is a luxury and not to be taken for granted.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
roxanne wrote:I noticed that too. No longer a walk up start. Still, eight weeks in Goose has probably worked that out by now. He'll get there - seems like it might be in the forward line though. Luxury.
I just wonder how they are training him at the Club.

Originally Gilbert was earmarked as the third forward option in the pre season and Gilbert was looking forward to his new role.

Once both Max and Goose are ready, we will have options of playing Gilbert or Goose as our third tall...

To me the side is only going to improve (barring injuries)

Again, I just wonder about their training drills and just what Gilbert and Goose are doing
I wouldnt be moving Gilbert. Even though they wanted him forward he has been fantastic down back. RL isnt going to change a winning formula unless there is injury or poor form. The only possible change to backline is when Max is fully fit and the only one who could come out is Zac which would be a pity but Max must play when fit.
agree up to an extent. They have said that max would play two games in the seconds. Would rather him work himself up to the speed of the game then see him do another bad soft tissue injury.

but max for zac? can't we play them both as key position backs (you said it yourself that there are no real positions anymore). I could see max come in for blake to be honest. zac or neil would be stiff either way. An in form FB also could allow us to play max on a smaller player or lead up forward. both positions he has played very well in the past and are areas of concern in the past.

very happy to see raph back in there,

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Hayes, Kosi and King came straight back in. They weren't subjected to an extended run in the twos for the sake of maintaining a winning 22. I think it'll be the same with Hudghton when he's fully fit. Goose will have to wait for an opportunity to arise. If he keeps tearing up the VFL, it will be awfully tempting to bring him in for a player who's simply filling a role.

FWIW, I don't think there's any player that needs to be dropped. At the same time, I think there are plenty of players who, win or lose, are one ordinary performance away from potentially being replaced.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
FWIW, I don't think there's any player that needs to be dropped. At the same time, I think there are plenty of players who, win or lose, are one ordinary performance away from potentially being replaced.
And they seem to be playing like they know it themselves.

I'm sure the knowledge that better credentialed players are just waiting to take their spot is driving some of our 'bottom end' players to perform at their level best each week.

Nothing better than stiff competition to keep players focussed on doing what they are supposed to do.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Just on a side note I hope all these 'Don't touch the team' people have the same attitude when our next loss comes around.....

Because it seems like most are getting a bit on top of themselves without even considering that we might be able to improve.

To most it sounds like we think we are unbeatable at the moment....and that this is our best 22.
our best 25, actually. the three players brought in to the extended bench are the only other three to have played a senior game this year.

it's a great position to be in with injuries. it's a crap position to be in with depth.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

vacuous space wrote:...

I'd go one further and say with what the team's shown thus far the Saints flexibility doesn't demand "no change" to the extent many are calling for. "No change" in a winning team where available is never a bad move per se, but the focus of the home and away season for a team sitting at 8-0 is having the best possible team available for finals.

That means AFL games in the legs of it's best players, hopefully with a high level of continuity... someone like a Xavier or Raphael Clarke it can be worth playing in the 2s for 4 or 5 games if they aren't demanded by the seniors, to prove their hamstrings.

Where you've got a player of the caliber of Max Hudghton, or a player burning up the 2nds and healthy like Maguire, IMO, it needs to be a priority to get them into the side. It doesn't have to happen this week, or next week... but it's not necessarily a case of "does player x deserve to be dropped", it's a question of how to get them in.

I've loved Dawson, and he's going to be around for a while now, but he won't be in the seniors much longer as fullback; that's Hudghton's spot. I'm not sure who of the Gwilt (3rd tall/medium forward)/Blake (defensive HB) or even King variety gets a rest so that Goose can get an opportunity, but form and history says get him in, because an in form Maguire is a very good AFLer, and may be harder to knock out than the guys ahead of him are now.

No Change is good... but we shouldn't wait on a loss just for the sake of waiting on a loss.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

All well and good, but what will the general feedback be if we bring in much anticipated players and then lose?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I must confess the whole Goose thing is starting grate a bit.

I just don't see how his pre-injury form has anything to do with where he's at now which seems to me how he's constantly measured.

The guy is as brave as they come - his apparent recovery is the only proof you need - but gee a lot of water has run under the bridge since he last played at AFL standard. And I'd argue the game has sped up a good 15% as well.

My guess is his VFL form will have to be absolutely extraordinarily breathtaking - every box ticked (speed, agility, strength, stamina, skills incl it seems buckets of goals if to be considered a forward option) - for him to get a run in the seniors.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I must confess the whole Goose thing is starting grate a bit.

I just don't see how his pre-injury form has anything to do with where he's at now which seems to me how he's constantly measured.

The guy is as brave as they come - his apparent recovery is the only proof you need - but gee a lot of water has run under the bridge since he last played at AFL standard. And I'd argue the game has sped up a good 15% as well.

My guess is his VFL form will have to be absolutely extraordinarily breathtaking - every box ticked (speed, agility, strength, stamina, skills incl it seems buckets of goals if to be considered a forward option) - for him to get a run in the seniors.
how will the forum be, if we the saints don't bring him or someone else back soon and we get into the grand final or a inal and lose. the amount of people that will be on this forum seaying. we should have picked this guy, or that guy or somebody else.

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

I don't believe we can take a risk with Max.

They will get him rock hard fit and then bring him back. Another soft tissue injury like the last now will effectively keep him out of the finals.

People here need to think long term on all of this, not just should he be in this week.

I don't believe that the game has passed Goose by, look at Tredrea this year, has completely reinvented himself.

Maybe the spot for Matt will be to play him as a deep forward, with Kosi playing on the lead beside him.

HF Schneider Riewoldt Gwilt
F Milne Maguire Kosi

Gwilt keeps his spot for the big grunt work in the forward line, but I quite like the look of that. Very hard to match up on as well.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

My point is....if we remain unchanged or we bring in players, and we lose...still going to be the "I told you so" posters....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We needa team that can knock of f the Ctas...or the Hawks if they recover last years form.

Max will be in our best 22. We have till Round 14 to get him ripe...but it will not take that long.

Goose will be wortha look...we have till Round 22 to see if he can be as good as he used to be at AFL level. The "old" Goose would bea definite plus...jus have to see if we can get him back..and will only know when he plays in the seniors.

Geary is better than Eddy as he finishes better. Eddy is still in the mix.

We have pool of players that are all good enough to play AFL...but we need out best team to defeat the Cats.

Not all of Geary, Gwilt, Eddy, Armo, Zac, Mini, Goose and Raph can fit in (subject to injuiries of course).

All are good enough to play capably at AFL...but against the Cats we need our best.
Geary and Gwilt may well improve quite markedly with another 14 games under their belts. And IMO Geary will do just that.

So over the next 14 games I think that most will be givena chance to shine...not all at once...but sooner or later.

Competition will be fierce...and this will set us up well for the finals as it will assist in maintaining our fierce workrate...as all the players now know that TEA play will keep them in more than reputation.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Milton66
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:We needa team that can knock of f the Ctas...or the Hawks if they recover last years form.

Max will be in our best 22. We have till Round 14 to get him ripe...but it will not take that long.

Goose will be wortha look...we have till Round 22 to see if he can be as good as he used to be at AFL level. The "old" Goose would bea definite plus...jus have to see if we can get him back..and will only know when he plays in the seniors.

Geary is better than Eddy as he finishes better. Eddy is still in the mix.

We have pool of players that are all good enough to play AFL...but we need out best team to defeat the Cats.

Not all of Geary, Gwilt, Eddy, Armo, Zac, Mini, Goose and Raph can fit in (subject to injuiries of course).

All are good enough to play capably at AFL...but against the Cats we need our best.
Geary and Gwilt may well improve quite markedly with another 14 games under their belts. And IMO Geary will do just that.

So over the next 14 games I think that most will be givena chance to shine...not all at once...but sooner or later.

Competition will be fierce...and this will set us up well for the finals as it will assist in maintaining our fierce workrate...as all the players now know that TEA play will keep them in more than reputation.
Good call. I reckon Geary is ahead of Eddy and it should stay that way. With Raph coming back and MAx, it will be interesting to see if Zac is kept.

It will also be interesting to see if Gwilt will be given the rest ot the season.

These guys haven't played a lot of games, so all this game time can only do them good.

Nice place to be, isn't it?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
saintly
Saintsational Legend

hope we win this week.