Coming weeks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DWOODROW
Club Player

Coming weeks

With the upcoming weeks being considered by some as very winnable, and the aim of the game is to win, what are the chances then of some of the players like Goose,Max,Armo,Mcevoy etc getting a run in the games that are considered as very winnable. I;m not getting ahead of myself but if you were going to see how these guys were going to perform in the current game plan then the teams that are near the bottom of the ladder would be the teams to bring these guys in. I know it sounds cocky but far from my reason for asking. I just want to know what is thought by others considering these guys are pushing for selection into the seniors and not getting the goods because of our cracking record so far this year.

I know there are alot of people who are saying not too change a winning side as well and can see your point but is does make you think. Well it makes me think anyway.
You get to see once and for all where these guys stand up in the team and next to the current playing group.
Thoughts please 8-)

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i cant see armo getting a look in unless there is some injurys , the kids been there a while at some point you gotta wonder if his constant noselection is simpley we made the wrong choice on him ?

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Milton66
SS Life Member

I just don't be;ieve that you make changes for the sake of it.

Any changes must be due to injury or if they improve on what we have.

Unless a player is top 3 in the VFL continuously, why would you pick them?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Know where you are coming from but its very important changes aren't made for change sake...

The advantages of keeping a stable team together has been shown to reap benefits come the pointy end of the season..

Important to get Max, Goose and Armo up to speed but let them get there fitness base and or form 100 % before any promotion is necessary either through matchups,form loss or injury.

Winning teams are hard to change...lets not flirt with our form and let someone literally kick the door down to get in ...

encourages a very healthy competition that helps raise the bar even further :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Splayd
Club Player

After we get over Brissie... but I'll bite.

I wouldn't take any of our opponents lightly in the coming weeks.

Brisbane - One Change with Raph for Gram.

Melbourne - Normally I would pencil this one in but it is played up at the Gold Coast adding the Travel Factor. Not sure whether it would be an ideal place to test some other players in regards to Game Plan.

North - Sometimes tricky.

Carlton - I want to smash these guys so best team regardless of rotations is what I want.

In the next few weeks we will have changes anyway. Max for Zak probably (chin up Soapy/Smokey/Sophie, you will have a chance when Max calls it a day). Also I reckon that although Geary has been playing like a 24 y.o. Ross will drop him back for a 'rest' in the twos at some stage probably for Eddy/Gram.

Other than that I am not sure who to rotate. Goose for Gwilt? but Jimmy hasn't done anything wrong.

In regards to rotations, Benetez, the coach of Liverpool in the EPL, has always beleived in rotating his squad in and out. What seems to happen though is that they lose momentum at key stages of the season and as such draw/lose games that they should win - could've cost them the title this year. So I beleive in not flirting with form.

Also remember although we are 8-zip, in '04 we were 10-zip and missed out on the minor premiership basically forcing us to go to SA for a Prelim and I reckon costing us a flag. After round 10 it was publicly declared we were tired (movies anyone?) and we never really got our mojo back. Lessons...

Mathematically we can till miss the 8 so our first goal should be to get the 11-12 wins needed to make the 8. Then the 15-16 to make the top 2 Once we have those we can start looking at this quandry. Until then I reckon only injuries (like Grammy's) should be the catalyst for changes.

Splayder

Gathering converts in Frogland..
noob
Club Player

probably why we haven't been consistent all the time because you put reputation players back in the team and ruins the team balance or being underdone.