Ball Disposal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Ball Disposal

I think that the way we disposed of the ball in that game was shocking. I've had a name for that style for a while and call it the freo disposal (as I think its the difference to them winning or losing the close games)

Too many handballs and kicks made the player recieving stall on the run, or it was just at their feet making it difficult to keep the push forward flowing, I thought this was one of our best areas in prior weeks as its a killer on the rebound out of defence.

And i dont want to talk about the chip kicks not hitting their targets or to stationary targets just waiting to be spoiled, when we had good possession of the footy. Turnovers hurt us.

jackal
Club Player

Re: Ball Disposal

Griggsy wrote:I think that the way we disposed of the ball in that game was shocking. I've had a name for that style for a while and call it the freo disposal (as I think its the difference to them winning or losing the close games)

Too many handballs and kicks made the player recieving stall on the run, or it was just at their feet making it difficult to keep the push forward flowing, I thought this was one of our best areas in prior weeks as its a killer on the rebound out of defence.

And i dont want to talk about the chip kicks not hitting their targets or to stationary targets just waiting to be spoiled, when we had good possession of the footy. Turnovers hurt us.
Classic..I made the comment today that we were playing like Freo..crappy handpasses and stupid turnovers!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I know people will hate me for bringing it up but Jones again showed why he's not quite there. When we're really being challenged he's on the end of a beautiful break away from a centre clearance, has plenty of time and space 35m out from goal on his preferred side and he puts it out on the full. A few minutes later we're clearing it from defence in a good clean movement and have Geary on in the middle. Jones kicks it straight over his head to Geary's opponent.

Though I think the real reason Essendon hung on for so long was because we just hadn't played a side that played on and ran the ball so well. We had no answer for the pace and skill of Lovett, Davey and Dempsey. Their running the lines meant that we could never properly hold Essendon up and clog up the midfield and get numbers around the ball.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Who had the job on Dal. Couple of kicks were to absolutly noone when he had space to hold it up. Looked worried that Essendons pace would close him down.

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

Jones Milne were below par.

generally we looked tired and had a down day. On the upside we won by 3 goals.

I wouldve liked to have seen mcEvoy stay in. What did he do wrong last week??

DAWSON was GREAT!!! disposal was good fast - he just keeps getting better.

I would like to see maguire or max in with dawson. Who is the unlucky player????? ------?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I know people will hate me for bringing it up but Jones again showed why he's not quite there. When we're really being challenged he's on the end of a beautiful break away from a centre clearance, has plenty of time and space 35m out from goal on his preferred side and he puts it out on the full. A few minutes later we're clearing it from defence in a good clean movement and have Geary on in the middle. Jones kicks it straight over his head to Geary's opponent.

Though I think the real reason Essendon hung on for so long was because we just hadn't played a side that played on and ran the ball so well. We had no answer for the pace and skill of Lovett, Davey and Dempsey. Their running the lines meant that we could never properly hold Essendon up and clog up the midfield and get numbers around the ball.
on 774 radio 3 to kosi, 2 to neagle, and 1 to c. jones. They thought jones did well.

eel33
Club Player

So Jones made some mistakes/skill errors, yes. But he still kept a damaging Bomber midfielder to only 13 possies, and had 22 himself. I'd rate his game as good value.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Jones did do well.

Just his clangers were crucial.

We were knackered after quarter time. Full stop.

They still won.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Sainterone
Club Player

the ABC votes were actually:

3 - Kosi
2 - dempsey
1 - CJ

The reason given for CJ getting the vote was that he kept stanton quiet (last week stanton was arguably BOG in the dons win over hawks with 36 disposals)

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Joey was praising CJ, great judges you guys :wink:

Before Im 85
jay young
Club Player

Jones was ok id say L ball was below par He really struggles when the the pressure is on , Essendon will soon be good theyll play in the finals . Brendy goddard was skeezed out as well

emmdee
Club Player

i felt today we just did enough, looked out of sorts ie down on our skill level of the past few weeks. But we were good enough to get over a side prepared to run & carry. I think the short break contributed to the lack of man on man pressure over 4 qtrs. happy to get the points with no injuries.....

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
starsign
Club Player

I think the telling issue was in the legs this week and I'm surprised there was not a mention on Fox 1st half (after which I I turned to ABC Radio cos I couldn't stand Hird & Co willing the Dons on) then on radio second half no mention. But 6 v 9 days prep has to be significant these days I recon ...and When we had fresh legs 1stQ we looked the much better side Credit to the boys for gutsing it out against probably the fastest legs in the comp when conceding a huge advantage
Anything else pales in significance and we can learn from it IMHO
Well done Sainters !

starsign
Club Player

I think the telling issue was in the legs this week and I'm surprised there was not a mention on Fox 1st half (after which I turned to ABC Radio cos I couldn't stand Hird & Co willing the Dons on) then on radio second half no mention. But 6 v 9 days prep has to be significant these days I recon ...and When we had fresh legs 1stQ we looked the much better side Credit to the boys for gutsing it out against probably the fastest legs in the comp when conceding a huge advantage
Well done Sainters !

saint3d
Club Player

SEN gave Jones BOG.

Marcus1232
Club Player

starsign wrote:I think the telling issue was in the legs this week and I'm surprised there was not a mention on Fox 1st half (after which I turned to ABC Radio cos I couldn't stand Hird & Co willing the Dons on) then on radio second half no mention. But 6 v 9 days prep has to be significant these days I recon ...and When we had fresh legs 1stQ we looked the much better side Credit to the boys for gutsing it out against probably the fastest legs in the comp when conceding a huge advantage
Well done Sainters !
OMFG if i had to hear hird say the "the saints are clearly the better side" i think i would have thrown up

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

CaptainReiwoldt wrote:Jones Milne were below par.

generally we looked tired and had a down day. On the upside we won by 3 goals.

I wouldve liked to have seen mcEvoy stay in. What did he do wrong last week??

DAWSON was GREAT!!! disposal was good fast - he just keeps getting better.

I would like to see maguire or max in with dawson. Who is the unlucky player????? ------?
Jason Blake.....I can't say he's done anything wrong, but he hasn't done anything exciting either.....

Goose may add a little more spice to our already awesome lineup!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Ball disposal poor. You obviously mean Luke as he made many errors today.

SaintDebi
Club Player

I hate the way this sounds, but we probably needed a game like tonight's at this point. We needed a game to show how we can stand up under a bit of pressure, see what areas need strengthening and work on any weaknesses that were identified before we come up against Geelong, rather than coming up against them full of bravado and a sense of invincibility.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:I hate the way this sounds, but we probably needed a game like tonight's at this point. We needed a game to show how we can stand up under a bit of pressure, see what areas need strengthening and work on any weaknesses that were identified before we come up against Geelong, rather than coming up against them full of bravado and a sense of invincibility.
I say let us reserve judgement, and see how the bombers go against Geelong. We know Essendon are the in form team, we may look back in a next few weeks and highlight this as one of better wins...

SaintDebi
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
SaintDebi wrote:I hate the way this sounds, but we probably needed a game like tonight's at this point. We needed a game to show how we can stand up under a bit of pressure, see what areas need strengthening and work on any weaknesses that were identified before we come up against Geelong, rather than coming up against them full of bravado and a sense of invincibility.
I say let us reserve judgement, and see how the bombers go against Geelong. We know Essendon are the in form team, we may look back in a next few weeks and highlight this as one of better wins...
I'm not taking anything away from tonight's win. I think Essendon are a better team than they get credit for, and they have a lot of talented kids and are as fast as (faster?) than any other team at the moment. I never expected tonight to be a walkover. Coming off a short break I think we can definitely still hold our heads up high.
I just meant that it is good to face a team that can put a bit of pressure on us and know what we need to do to overcome that.

Young Georgie
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Ball disposal poor. You obviously mean Luke as he made many errors today.
Or do you mean disposal of Ball as Luke got caught out for being slow more times than he should've tonight - getting caught flat footed holding the footy and also struggling getting it out of the centre. He wasn't alone though - Schneider, Ray, etc - and they should be thankful they got away with a win.

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Ball disposal poor. You obviously mean Luke as he made many errors today.
For once I agree.
I love Ball's inside work, but he is very very slow of mind at the moment and his disposal is just not up to it at the moment.
He needs to play with more urgency.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

a very big reason why the disposal was so poor was because the team did not stick to their defined roles and lost a little struture. I hope we can put this down to tiredness and not a lack of discipline.

In inability to get numbers at the ball and work hard off it lead to alot of contested errors as the players either had little time with the ball or nothing to kick to.

I do worry about luke balls kicking and perhaps he will get the the point where it's better for him to handpass then kick :(

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
widereceiver
Club Player

I love Luke Ball's balls, he is as tough and hard as anyone else playing.

My criticism of his play is he always props after a mark or free kick. 9 times out of 10 this gives our opponents a chance to settle in defence and punch the ball clear of our key forwards.

I think he thinks he's still at Xavier, where he had the luxury of those seconds.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar