Sandy Vs Bullants - May 9th - Results/ Video

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I love how people bag the quality of the VFL after watching it on ABC....

It is not the AFL - there is not 16 cameras and a director who gets paid 200K a year......there is not a crowd of 45 000 and commentators like Commetti and Bucks and Matthews doing special comments.....

so yes the quality of the broadcast is worse, and yes the standard is lower......but DO NOT compare the two as a spectical and if you think the standard is crap, get down and see a game live......

FWIW - A good effort by an undermanned Sandy.....missing
McEvoy
R.Clarke
as emergancies
L.Fisher
going down early
King
Hudghton
out of the seniors which hurts
Allen
X.Clarke
Dempster
to long term injuries

Many good player out and a lot of kids playing senior footy
Lynch, Heyne, Stanley, Smith, Simpkin - all 18
Conners, Steven - 19
7 teenagers........

Maguire........Best, some poster at the start of the season said he needs to learn to play fwd to be more versatile.....and get a spot :wink: :wink:
Begley......Very Good
Armitage.......worked hard
Steven......did lots of good things, some average
Stanley.....promising
Heyne.....did well
Miles.......tryer
Simpkin.......showed a bit
Lynch......presented, but did not do a lot
Howard......tagging again, did very little
Smith......quiet
Conners......Poor

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Sandy rely on Sauntner so much its not even funny

Without him the "kick it to Saunter" gameplan falls down and there didnt seem to be a Plan B..until Goose stepped up as the surrogate Saunter.

Some of the hesitation and indecision going forward today was very much like St Kilda in parts of 07 and early 08

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

reserves would be pleased to get back on the winners list- now have 2 from 5
2009 VFL Reserves

Sandringham 6.0 13.5 14.8 22.12 (144)
Northern Bullants 3.5 3.5 6.6 8.8 (56)

GOALS:
Sandringham: Gileno 5 Eddy 4 Lockwood 4 Gilder 3 Liddell Cahill Williams Monaghan Tungatalum Harektuku
Northern Bullants: Dwyer 2 Groth Bransgrove Annakis Power Merkel Edwards

BEST:
Sandringham: Gileno McGrath Liddell Gilchrist Monaghan Smith-Cameron
Northern Bullants: Bransgrove Gale Prior Hall Merkel Tiller

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Sandringham: Nil
Northern Bullants: Nil

2009 VFL Seniors

Sandringham 1.4 4.6 8.8 13.11 (89)
Northern Bullants 4.0 9.5 12.10 14.11 (95)

GOALS:
Sandringham: Maguire 5[/b] Gallagher 2 Armitage Tregear Smith Waller Lynch Connors
Northern Bullants: Saddington 4 Fisher 2 Boundy 2 Robinson Bentley Houlihan Garlett Bilney O'hAilpin

BEST:
Sandringham: Maguire Begley Biddlecombe Stanley Gallagher Waller
Northern Bullants: Robinson Saddington Fisher Hartlett Iacobucci Houlihan

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Sandringham: Nil
Northern Bullants: Jo. Bannister (Northern Bullants) for striking T. Lynch (Sandringham)

INJURY_ Leigh Fisher within first ten minutes- bone crunching - literally bottom of the pack- Deep gash with suspected fractured cheek bone- was taken to The Alfred.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
zebraman
Club Player

Spoke to the Sandy reserves coach a few minutes ago and Fisher is in the Alfred Hospital.....happened just in front of the scoreboard....at 1st I thought the 2 Bullants players had collided...hope Fisher is ok but I assume he'll be out for a while

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well I only saw the first half on YV as I had to go out:

* Goose: continues to improve. Worse case scenario would now be that we have a more than useful back up in case of injury. However I think Goose is showing signs that he will be a genuine first 22 player again...and as as St Mart has suggseted a role as as a forward would be possibly given our current backline. He could slot in nicely as the "third tall"..is a nice mark..a good kick..and is pretty mobile. In addition his bodywork would create opportunities for Mine and schneider.

* Steven: Not ready yey...but had all the signs that he will become an AFL level player

*Armitage: most impressive I have seen him. Would be happy to see him in the seniors....though our current 22 are all playing well too.

* Stanley: I continue to love the way this guy goes about his game. His second effots are very good...and he is always trying to tackle..or put pressure on a running opponent. Is not there yet...but eze in say two years I can really see this guy becoming a player. Though note is well behinf MacEvoy still on current form...but that is not surprsing. now it is long way off yet...but one can have nice daydreams about Mac and stanly forminga modern ruck duo ina few yeats time.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

While we can still put a decent 22 on the field with some capable emergencies, we wouldn't want any more injuries. Our depth has taken a serious hit with Dempster, Allen, Xavier out for the year and it looks like Leigh with be out for a while. We have a few spots covered but if some of the usual suspects go again (Gards, Raph, Max, Goose, Kosi etc) then we could struggle to put a full, AFL-ready side on the field.

DWOODROW
Club Player

What is the go with some of you posters. Some say players wnt alright and othersbag the crap out of them. How many armchair experts can play elite football anyway. I'll be waiting for the report on the saints website than listen to half of you baggers. :lol:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... 63954.html
Saint ready for senior recall
Brent Diamond | May 10, 2009

ST KILDA defender Matt Maguire was impressive yesterday in his bid to return to senior football, booting five goals in Sandringham's six-point loss to the Northern Bullants.

But in a big blow to the Saints, Leigh Fisher was taken to Epworth Hospital with a lacerated eye, after a heavy collision 10 minutes into the first term.

"I haven't had the feedback from the doctors. But I think it might have been a very deep laceration so it required some plastic surgery that our guys clearly couldn't do down here," Zebras coach Andy Lovell said.

The injury to Fisher, who has played 55 matches for the Saints, is the second telling blow to the Saints' depth after Xavier Clarke suffered a season-ending knee injury for the Zebras last week.

But Maguire shone yesterday in arguably his best outing on his long comeback trail from a recurrence of stress fractures in his foot.

He kicked two important goals in the third term to edge the Zebras back into the match, before taking a strong grab and booting another in the final term to get the margin back to within two kicks.

The Saints' key position player had 10 marks and was the most dangerous forward on the ground with five goals.

"He was terrific. (Nick) Sautner was out of the team, so we had to push him forward and he gave us a real target up forward," Lovell said.

"He's been working really hard to rebuild his game fitness. He's taken another step forward."

The 24-year-old has not played a senior match since round seven last year.

Carlton also had mixed news with 18-year-old rookie Lachie Hill suffering a hamstring injury, but the performances of Brad Fisher and Mitch Robinson added more spark to the Bullants' gritty win. Robinson was supreme in the midfield, while Fisher continued to edge towards senior selection with two goals.

Ryan Houlihan also impressed, while Adam Hartlett sent a scare through the Blues' army after limping off the ground in the final term. Coach David Teague said later he had been taken off for precautionary reasons.

"I thought Robinson was very good particularly early. He won a lot of first possessions. It was a massive win for us him playing on Peter Summers," Teague said.

"I thought today was his (Fisher's) best game.

"His work rate's been up every game. He's been very consistent. He got rewarded with a couple of goals today."

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
kos
Club Player

can anyone tell me if there is a replay of the sandy bullants game on abc anywhere?

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

I was surprised that Begley got listed as one of our best.
Maguire has to come in now, agree in theory about changing a winning side but bottom line is 31 is a better player than some in the 1's now and if the team balance will be OK with him in then we should do it.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

CeilidhSaint wrote:I was surprised that Begley got listed as one of our best.
Maguire has to come in now, agree in theory about changing a winning side but bottom line is 31 is a better player than some in the 1's now and if the team balance will be OK with him in then we should do it.
if gwilt doesnt do anything this week i think straight swap Goose for him

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

CeilidhSaint wrote:I was surprised that Begley got listed as one of our best.
I saw Begley butcher he ball time and time again, unless his disposal increases significantly he is a long way away.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Saw most of the game not all. A couple of quick observations from someone who's definitely not a VFL Expert.

1) Goose could be a very handy lead up option. With our defense hard to crack, he put definite pressure on Gwilt and even Kosi with that performance. The performance once he moved up front was ala Jonathan Brown, though one obviously must allow that he was not just beyond that level skillwise, he was just too big and strong for his VFL opponents.

2) I just don't buy this "don't change until we lose" position a lot of this site is taking. The mission is to have the best team on the park come finals with continuity. Everyone is performing their roles and can be justified in their spots, but if there are better options, we're now in a position to use the home & away season to do some experimentation.

No need to rush in anyone from what I saw (much as I loved seeing Goose tear it apart, until he's played a few more we have to grant the possibility that was a one off - given what we have in the AFL side, it would be very interesting to see what would happen with Goose playing forward in a side with Sautner and McEvoy both in)... but Armo and Maguire are both ready when/if the team needs them.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

How long do you think it will be before we see Ross Tungatalum in the VFL Seniors ?

zebraman
Club Player

LTN16 wrote:How long do you think it will be before we see Ross Tungatalum in the VFL Seniors ?
I think he's a few weeks off playing for Sandy seniors. He does some really good things then goes missing for a while. The guy I'd be promoting is Khan Haretuku. His form has been very good. Very classy player

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I love how people bag the quality of the VFL after watching it on ABC....

It is not the AFL - there is not 16 cameras and a director who gets paid 200K a year......there is not a crowd of 45 000 and commentators like Commetti and Bucks and Matthews doing special comments.....

so yes the quality of the broadcast is worse, and yes the standard is lower......but DO NOT compare the two as a spectical and if you think the standard is crap, get down and see a game live......

FWIW - A good effort by an undermanned Sandy.....missing
McEvoy
R.Clarke
as emergancies
L.Fisher
going down early
King
Hudghton
out of the seniors which hurts
Allen
X.Clarke
Dempster
to long term injuries

Many good player out and a lot of kids playing senior footy
Lynch, Heyne, Stanley, Smith, Simpkin - all 18
Conners, Steven - 19
7 teenagers........

Maguire........Best, some poster at the start of the season said he needs to learn to play fwd to be more versatile.....and get a spot :wink: :wink:
Begley......Very Good
Armitage.......worked hard
Steven......did lots of good things, some average
Stanley.....promising
Heyne.....did well
Miles.......tryer
Simpkin.......showed a bit
Lynch......presented, but did not do a lot
Howard......tagging again, did very little
Smith......quiet
Conners......Poor

love your work mate...... :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote: Conners......Poor
I can only recall seeing Conners a couple of times, once was setting up a goal, but otherwise not much... what I did notice was that while he can still dissapear by turning sideways, he's gotten a lot broader across the shoulders. Last time I saw him he was a similar size to Garlett.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

zebraman wrote:
LTN16 wrote:How long do you think it will be before we see Ross Tungatalum in the VFL Seniors ?
I think he's a few weeks off playing for Sandy seniors. He does some really good things then goes missing for a while. The guy I'd be promoting is Khan Haretuku. His form has been very good. Very classy player
do go on

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
zebraman
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
zebraman wrote:
do go on
He's tall...very quick...takes a good mark and his kicking is exceptional...definitely think he's worth a chance in Sandy seniors