Essendon game for an Essendon viewpoint

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Pazza
Club Player

Essendon game for an Essendon viewpoint

Hi, just thought I'd visit here and give the view from the other side. Well done on your season so far.

Speaking from the Essendon POV, it'll be an interesting test for us as well. Our biggest for the year so far.

I've taken a bit of time and thought about where you have the advantage over us and where we might have the advantage going the other way.

As a starting point, you have a massive advantage in the ruck. Gardiner and McEvoy are fine ruckmen and whilst King isn't out there, us not having Hille means that Ryder and Bellchambers are going to have to work extremely hard. The only other option open to us is to try to break even when the ball hits the ground.

Some of the midfield match-ups seem to wpork out so easily:

Jobe Watson v Luke Ball - the best mates lining up against each other. Watson's form in '09 has been near enough to exceptional.

Brent Stanton v Lenny Hayes - in the last month, Stanton has been easily Essendon's best performed player.

Then I had a thought about Montagna and Dal Santo and I would like to see Knights do this:

Andrew Lovett v Leigh Montagna on one wing - I suspect Heath Hocking gets the job here, if you guys decide to use Clinton Jones on Lovett.

Jason Winderlich v Nick Dal Santo on the other wing - both players have been in excellent form this year. Essendon may use Sam Lonergan here at times.

I hope Knights backs Pears and Hooker against Riewoldt and Kosi. Pears' efforts against Bradshaw and Roughead in the last 2 games have been a great sign - whilst Hooker, even though Buddy kicked 5 on him, held his own against Buddy in the one-on-ones.

I think Dempsey gets first crack on Milne, whilst slattery takes Schneider first up.

For Goddard, I'd go with McPhee, who's been in reasonable form himself, given his performance on Cloke on Anzac Day.

Up forward for us, Lloyd and Neagle are the primary targets. I wouldn't be surprised if Monfries is asked to be the lead-up target/defensive forward. He played that role extremely well against Hodge on Friday.

All in all, it's going to be a good game. Looking forward to it.

markp
Saintsational Legend

This place is turning into the freaking United Nations.... :wink:

aussiejones
Club Player

Essendon starting to get cocky ..........let em I say just coz they have one decent game. Lets just keep as low a profile as possible ..week at a time stuff.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Hey Pazza,

Good to see you've given Windy a wrap. So glad to see he finally came through after all his back troubles...we though for a while he might be touch and go to keep his spot, but Knights has faith in runners and youngsters, so it's only natural that he's finally been able to blossom - even if he can't put on weight to save his life.

Anyway, tell us a bit more about how you reckon the season has gone so far and how it will pan out. Can you make the finals without Hille - and will that be the making of Ryder?

Thanks for dropping by. Hope you're still doing a spot of umpiring!

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

G'day Pazza. You're most welcome on Saintsational if you're going to contribute decent posts like that and not troll for a laugh.

I don't really know enough about your lesser known players like Pears, Hocking, Lonergan, Dempsey and Neagle to comment on the possible match-ups. I suspect that King will be back for us, so it will be Ryder and Bellchambers up against the two experienced big guys.

The question is, how are Essendon going to kick a score against us? Lloyd looks to be in decline, although I wouldn't discount him as a threat. He'd still command the FF spot in most sides. Apart from Lloyd, where will the goals come from? Will Lucas be fit?
Rather than individual match-ups determining the outcome, if the Saints can maintain the intensity and team defensive pressure that they've delivered so far in '09 it's hard to see the Bombers knocking us off.

I have a concern about Essendon having a 9 day break going into this game against our 6 day break, but if the Saints can manage that and sustain their intensity, I think we'll be too strong. I certainly bloody hope so.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Essendon game for an Essendon viewpoint

Pazza wrote:Hi, just thought I'd visit here and give the view from the other side. Well done on your season so far.

Speaking from the Essendon POV, it'll be an interesting test for us as well. Our biggest for the year so far.

I've taken a bit of time and thought about where you have the advantage over us and where we might have the advantage going the other way.

As a starting point, you have a massive advantage in the ruck. Gardiner and McEvoy are fine ruckmen and whilst King isn't out there, us not having Hille means that Ryder and Bellchambers are going to have to work extremely hard. The only other option open to us is to try to break even when the ball hits the ground.

Some of the midfield match-ups seem to wpork out so easily:

Jobe Watson v Luke Ball - the best mates lining up against each other. Watson's form in '09 has been near enough to exceptional.

Brent Stanton v Lenny Hayes - in the last month, Stanton has been easily Essendon's best performed player.

Then I had a thought about Montagna and Dal Santo and I would like to see Knights do this:

Andrew Lovett v Leigh Montagna on one wing - I suspect Heath Hocking gets the job here, if you guys decide to use Clinton Jones on Lovett.

Jason Winderlich v Nick Dal Santo on the other wing - both players have been in excellent form this year. Essendon may use Sam Lonergan here at times.

I hope Knights backs Pears and Hooker against Riewoldt and Kosi. Pears' efforts against Bradshaw and Roughead in the last 2 games have been a great sign - whilst Hooker, even though Buddy kicked 5 on him, held his own against Buddy in the one-on-ones.

I think Dempsey gets first crack on Milne, whilst slattery takes Schneider first up.

For Goddard, I'd go with McPhee, who's been in reasonable form himself, given his performance on Cloke on Anzac Day.

Up forward for us, Lloyd and Neagle are the primary targets. I wouldn't be surprised if Monfries is asked to be the lead-up target/defensive forward. He played that role extremely well against Hodge on Friday.

All in all, it's going to be a good game. Looking forward to it.

and if all those match up's work for you ...you might even escape with a lesser thrasing than we gave you last year ....ffs..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ...where do they come from.....roll up ...roll up.......then get bowled over.... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

ps ...i'm a bummer fan....love watching you win....but not this week.... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Please, please, PLEASE make it so.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Essendon game for an Essendon viewpoint

Welcome to the forum Pazza.
Pazza wrote:All in all, it's going to be a good game. Looking forward to it.
Yes, as long as you don't get too dispirited once the St Kilda blowtorch fires up.

Young team, intense pressure... will struggle to hold onto their gameplan.

Matchups are worth bugger all if your teamwork evaporates.

Anyway, let's hope there's a decent contest. :wink:

Pazza
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:Hey Pazza,

Good to see you've given Windy a wrap. So glad to see he finally came through after all his back troubles...we though for a while he might be touch and go to keep his spot, but Knights has faith in runners and youngsters, so it's only natural that he's finally been able to blossom - even if he can't put on weight to save his life.

Anyway, tell us a bit more about how you reckon the season has gone so far and how it will pan out. Can you make the finals without Hille - and will that be the making of Ryder?

Thanks for dropping by. Hope you're still doing a spot of umpiring!
How are everton old boy? Sadly no more umpiring - work got in the way of that!

I think what Knights has tried to do is really have faith in the kids at his disposal - he has coached most of them at Bendigo before becoming Essendon coach, so that might help him in backing them. For the most part, the kids have done a terrific job. Sure - incosistency is going to happen because of it, but, it has been exciting to see it.

Hille is a huge loss. Massive. Ryder has done well so far - though at times he tends to go up far too high with that natural spring he's got and gets pinged because of it. Having Madden as ruck coach will help I think.

Just on the lesser lights st. byron mentioned, I'll try to break it down a bit:

Hocking - been given the task of being our number 1 tagger this year, as a result of Welsh going down in the pre-season. Right now he's looking at being in the top 10 in Essendon's best and fairest at the end of the season as long as with being the club's most improved player for the year. Amongst his scalps this season have been Shaun Burgoyne and Sam Mitchell. Has played on Judd, Pendlebury and Black too.

Lonergan - was the big improver last year. Fearless in packs and has good speed as well. Most likely to play as a small forward going into the middle.

Dempsey - last year, he managed to break his upper leg running. Back to full fitness, he provides a lot of dash of half-back. Some say the combination of him, Lovett, Davey, jetta and Winderlich are the main reason why Essendon's speed has been a big factor in our wins so far.

Neagle - son of Merv. Big body and doesn't mind using it at times. On Friday night, he had a few of the Hawks defenders looking over their shoulders, just in case he was coming through. (oh and yes - does possess some of his Dad's angry pills!)

Pears - one for 4 young KP defenders coming through (alongside Hooker, Darcy Daniher - son of Anthony and our top draft pick over summer Michael Hurley, who was great in Round 1 on Tredrea). Looks great and in his second season.

Scotty Lucas is fit and kicked 4 of Bendigo's 8 on Sunday against North Ballarat @ Stawell. Don't think he's going to play. Some suggestion about that Brent Prismall may come close to selection after recovering from his knee reco last year (Knights mentioned him at his press conference today).

If there is anything else, i'll do my best.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The only way the bombers can win IMO is:

Play a loose man down back and try to get this man to dictate where the ball goes coming out of defence. They need to be solid with their passes and get options around the ball carrier hoping for quick, accurate handballs and short kicks to free players when the ball carrier gets under pressure.
They need their quicker ball carriers to then break lines and exploit the saints out of position.

They also need to negate our run off the HBF and win their fair share of contested footy.

On top of all of that, they need to get on top early and keep the pressure on for 4 1/4s.

The worry for them is our tall options. IMO they simply don't have the depth to switch around their players if Roo, Kosi, King and Gardiner get on top early.
Make no mistake, Saints get on top early, it'll be a massacre.

Ryder clearly their most important player. Much more worthy opponenet than Fraser + he may have to contend with King too and will most likely have to try and plug the hole ahead infront of Roo 2

St.Damo's Fire
Club Player

Essendon can't win.....might as well bend over and cop it just like the magpies did this week!! :x

100 points this week...... :twisted:

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

They're best bet of winning is if they jump us. In a way it would be good to see the saints jumped by 5-6 goals early too see how we handle it. It happens to Geelong every so often and they usually respond
Having said that the swans jumped us,but that was before we realised we were a juggernaut

Bring back the Lockett era
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 2:07am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
EB
Club Player

imo Hocking with go with Hayes or Dal Santo.

Key for the w/ends game will be how well Essendon combat the Saints run and carry from half back through weight of numbers, quick hands and good foot skills. Then flip the coin over to how well the Sainters close down the run of Lovett, Winderlich, Dempsey etc

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

McPhee should play on Roo.....and let's see who can pick them apart!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:McPhee should play on Roo.....and let's see who can pick them apart!
:lol: their hairstyles are a little different these days

EB
Club Player

Unfortunately Michael Hurley isn't playing either :lol:

rexy
SS Life Member

EB wrote:Unfortunately Michael Hurley isn't playing either :lol:
Is a chance to come up is my understanding.

Would like to see him as I think he is going to be a great footballer and I was impressed with his game on Tredrae.

Essendons pace is our real concern, if they can break through the press with run and carry they are a good chance to get it to their forwards one out. I dont think they will be able to but this si their go and what they will try.

Think we will break them early and then smash them as the game goes on. Feel nervous writing that kind of stuff though.

Maybe this year?
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:Image
Love that pic AOK. Excellent work

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Didn't know Ball and J.Watson were best mates. How do they know each other?

Essendon are the biggest surprise packet of the season.

J.Watson has been immense this season - one of the smartest players running around for mine. Ryder has the potential to be in the top 10 players in the comp while Monfries and Stanton are both very good players.

Will be a very exciting side in the years ahead and it will be fun watching those players continue to develop.

However, we're a different gravy at the moment and should win.

I'm also interested to find out where Houli's been this season? I noticed he was playing the other night but that was only his second game? He was one of Essendon's better players last year.
Last edited by Beej on Tue 12 May 2009 11:47pm, edited 2 times in total.

jackal
Club Player

obvious comment but seriously...McPhee on Goddard will be a huge win for the Saints...any end of the ground.

Goddard would run off him and chop him up down back. going forward you would isolate these two one on one and watch the goals flow. There is no way that Knights will play McPhee on Goddard, he's not that stupid!

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 2:06am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
Richter
SS Life Member

We beat them by over a hundred points 6 months ago. We are a much better unit now than we were then. So are they, I realise that.

How do Essendon cover all our playmakers?

Fisher Gilbert
Gram Goddard Ray
Dal Santo Hayes Montagna

MG will easily outmuscle Ryder in the ruck

And our forward line of

Kosi Riewoldt
Schneider Milne

---------------------------------------

We have far too many guns, all of them in form. They might be able to shut down 1 or 2 (not that I expect them to play a negative game anyway) but then the others will put them to the sword.

All of the above players bar 3 (MG, Monty, Milne) are entering the prime of their footy careers (age-wise). It augurs well not just for this week but for the next 2 seasons after this one.

Saints by 40.
Last edited by Richter on Wed 13 May 2009 12:28am, edited 1 time in total.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:This place is turning into the freaking United Nations :wink:
lol
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 13 May 2009 4:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

It will be interesting to see if Essendon's much vaunted pacy free-flowing game style actually works if the opposition actually attacks the ball carrier rather than zoning off him?

Hawthorn zoned off and the ball-carrier was able to run unimpeded and deliver without any pressure.

That is not the way we have approached all games this season.